Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Deus Ex Deus Ex: Mankind Divided Pre-Release Thread

LESS T_T

Arcane
Codex 2014
AWARD-WINNING ARTIST SASCHA DIKICIYAN TO COMPOSE TRACKS FOR DEUS EX: MANKIND DIVIDED

MONTRÉAL (May 18, 2016) – Square-Enix® and Eidos®-Montréal today announced that, in addition to Michael McCann returning to compose music for Deus Ex: Mankind Divided, award-winning artist Sascha Dikiciyan (aka Sonic Mayhem) will also bring his talent to the game’s soundtrack. Deus Ex: Mankind Divided’s Original Soundtrack will be available worldwide this fall.

Overseen by Executive Audio Director Steve Szczepkowski, the music direction of Deus Ex: Mankind Dividedrepresents an evolution of the score created for Deus Ex: Human Revolution. The world of Deus Ex has dramatically changed since the final events of Human Revolution, which culminated with the Aug Incident. The golden age of augmentations is now over, and mechanically augmented humans have been segregated from the rest of society. Mankind Divided deals with heavier subjects and, as a result, the music has been adapted to reflect the new state of the world. It plays a key role in immersing players within the more mature and darker atmosphere of the game, while still staying true to Deus Ex’s distinctive and signature style.

Hear Sascha Dikiciyan’s work in action in both the Deus Ex: Mankind Divided 101 trailer and the Adam Jensen 2.0 trailer.

“It was important for us to build upon the strong foundation of Deus Ex: Human Revolution, but also to let it stand on its own. Along the way, we realized this game was much vaster than anticipated and we made the choice to add another composer to the team. Sascha Dikiciyan’s music stood out,” said Steve Szczepkowski. “After talking with Sascha, it became clear that we shared the same vision and passion for what musically drives Deus Ex. Sascha’s influences mirror ours in many ways, yet he also brings a whole other set of influences to the table. Sascha is completely immersed in the musical feeling of Deus Ex; he’s a huge fan of the franchise, and that comes through loud and clear in his compositions. We can’t wait for people to hear the work that he’s done and we are all thrilled he’s now part of the Deus Ex family!”

Sumthing Else Music Works and Eidos-Montréal will release the Deus Ex: Mankind Divided OST this fall.

Deus Ex: Mankind Divided will launch on August 23rd for PlayStation®4, Xbox One, and Windows PC.

ABOUT SASCHA DIKICIYAN

Award-winning soundtrack artist and musical architect Sascha Dikiciyan, aka Sonic Mayhem, is a Hollywood-based producer of electronic synth music and organic sound design whose progressive blend of cutting-edge electronics and cinematic scores have driven blockbuster video game franchises including Mass Effect and Tron. His critically acclaimed debut artist album Doomsday (“Epic” – Exclaim, “Illuminating” – Playboy) combines atmospheric cyber synth anthems and illusionary synthtopia soundscapes that traverse multiple genres and propels the listener on an emotive soundtrack experience to a movie that does not exist. Visit www.sonicmayhem.com .

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
Codex Year of the Donut Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth

In 2027, mechanically-augmented people all over the world suffered from extreme psychotic delusions, lost control of themselves, and started attacking people. Millions died. Hundreds of thousands more were injured and maimed.
In the wake of this global catastrophe, society has become divided by hatred, prejudice, and fear, with many countries now enacting harsh laws. The most notable of these laws is the highly controversial “Human Restoration Act”, aimed at isolating “Augs” and keeping them away from “Naturals”.

Athos

Arcane
The premises of the mechanical apartheid seem too flimsy to me. The removal of the chip shouldn't be enough to prevent another rampage? Why they don't remove the augmentations when possible instead of imprisoning people in ghettos? Are there augs-only bathrooms and water fountains too? :roll:

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
Codex Year of the Donut Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
The premises of the mechanical apartheid seem too flimsy to me. The removal of the chip shouldn't be enough to prevent another rampage? Why they don't remove the augmentations when possible instead of imprisoning people in ghettos? Are there augs-only bathrooms and water fountains too? :roll:

Yes it's completely silly and style-over-substance. The only way it would make sense is if augmentations were deeply bound up with people's personal identities, like if it was some kind of sexual thing (ugh).

The previous game put a focus on the anti-augmentation side, which made more sense because there will always be luddites. But when it comes down to it, faced with global opprobrium, there's no reason for the pro-aug side to be so militant about keeping them.

That said, style-over-substance can still mean some cool style.

Athos

Arcane

Yes it's completely silly and style-over-substance. The only way it would make sense is if augmentations were deeply bound up with people's personal identities, like if it was some kind of sexual thing (ugh).

The previous game put a focus on the anti-augmentation side, which made more sense because there will always be luddites. But when it comes down to it, faced with global opprobrium, there's no reason for the pro-aug side to be so militant about keeping them.

That said, style-over-substance can still mean some cool style.
Yeah, it's the fever for the easy social commentary. In the previous game anti-augs made sense as luddites but also as people concerned about the rise of the corporate power and its ability to turn people's bodies into products. And now the augmented person becomes a bastion of freedom...
In the Deus Ex world there are enough excuses for the rise of oppressive governments, this new banal boogeyman is out of place.

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
There's a "former aug" character in DX:HR, Zeke Sanders: http://deusex.wikia.com/wiki/Ezekiel_Sanders

He was taken into medical custody at the Neuroprosthetic Rehabilitation Center near Camp Topaz, Utah. Six months later Sanders was declared cured and released.

Maybe they'll use the excuse that removing augs requires a lengthy and highly expensive treatment out of most people's reaches (and also too expensive for governments to fund on a mass scale), turning it into a kind of class identity thing.

Tao

Savant
They will use the drug thing for an excuse, if even they bother to make an excuse at all.

bloodlover

Arcane
I hope they come up with other stuff regarding augmentations at least in the future games. The idea of a virus spreading or your body being hacked appeared in GiTS in 1995.

I like the new live trailer though the one for HR looked better imo

PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech Bubbles In Memoria A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
So, a guy has mechanically augmented arms and legs. If you remove them, what... he's a torso? Most of these people had these augs because they lost parts of their body and couldn't function without them.

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
Most of them aren't that heavily augmented though. I dunno, I think it'd be better to go back to using a simple prosthetic arm and learn to cope than get thrown into a ghetto.

PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech Bubbles In Memoria A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
Most of them aren't that heavily augmented though. I dunno, I think it'd be better to go back to using a simple prosthetic arm and learn to cope than get thrown into a ghetto.
Yeah I guess that makes sense. For some reason I was thinking that the augs were basically the same thing as prosthetics.

Athos

Arcane
So, a guy has mechanically augmented arms and legs. If you remove them, what... he's a torso? Most of these people had these augs because they lost parts of their body and couldn't function without them.

If I was a random augmented and went through that homicidal madness I would dismantle whatever robotic part I had and throw neuropozine out of the window, fuck transhumanism and shit. Better to be a cripple with normal prosthetics at this point.

Serious_Business

Best Poster on the Codex
My eyes are not augmented enough to handle this shit I will have to pull them out to handle it

This is the essential difference between the original DX and HR - on one hand a bunch of nerds trying to find a way to make a cool game, on the other artists with a message.

"WE WILL NOT RELINQUISH OUR LIMBS!"

Kem0sabe

Arcane
I never realized there were so many people with missing limbs, certainly not enough for there to be any sort of 'class' conflict.

Maybe there was a huge war in the future, which was fought exclusively through mines.

Last edited:

J1M

Arcane
I never realized there were so many people with missing limbs, certainly not enough for there to be any sort of 'class' conflict.

Maybe there was a huge war in the future, which was fought exclusively through mines.
Not all augmentations involve chopping off a limb. Some are more subtle, but harder to show in a visual medium like a commercial.

There is a Deus Ex augmentation timeline here: http://www.sarifindustries.com/en/#/roadtohere/
It is actually an interesting read. Be sure to turn off the sound and try to ignore the 'hacking' popups.

Keep in mind that before the events of Human Revolution, augmentation had become in vogue. It was essentially a job requirement for professional athletes and had reached the level of acceptance that would have the type of people who like tattoos saving their pennies to buy one. I imagine that among the executive class, infolink augs would be as widespread as blackberries.

Also, remember that in America only about 12% of the population is black. You don't require an arbitrary 50/50 split for there to be conflict between different demographics.

StrongBelwas

Savant
Patron
This is old news, but it came up in the Hitman thread and it doesn't seem like anyone has mentioned it: Back in 2014, before the game was announced, there were rumors circulating that "Deus Ex Universe" was going to be a much more ambitious game, before Square-Enix decided it was too ambitious and needed to be cut up into a Mass Effect-style trilogy.
http://www.playstationtrophies.org/...?.html=&utm_source=dlvr.it&utm_medium=twitter
New details have emerged regarding Deus Ex: Universe, the Square Enix project announced last year as an “ongoing, expanding and connected game world built across a generation of core games.”

Square Enix hasn’t elaborated on what these core games are, but we’ve been chatting to some insiders who have shared a few interesting bits of info.

According to one of our sources, Deus Ex: Universe was initially conceived as one huge game, but was split into a trilogy because the project was considered too ambitious.

Across these games, we're told that player decisions will be carried over in much the same manner as the Mass Effect trilogy. Indeed, the idea is to transfer even more info between instalments than BioWare’s celebrated sci-fi RPG series.

Our source also says that the core Deus Ex: Universe games will be coming to consoles, although Square Enix has already said that further “experiences” will be released for “other media such as tablets, smartphones, books, graphic novels, etc.”

The source adds that all of the information shared is accurate as of last year, but may be subject to change. In particular, the number of console games released under the Deus Ex: Universe banner could shift according to a variety of factors.

In addition to this, further information has emerged from a separate source who has seen promotional material for Deus Ex: Mankind Divided, a trademark for which was filed by Square Enix back in March.

We’re told that the promotional material featured Deus Ex: Human Revolution star Adam Jensen and Deux Ex: The Fall protagonist Ben Saxon. Deus Ex: The Fall is a mobile (and Steam) title released last year.

Could Deus Ex: Mankind Divided be the first Deus Ex: Universe release, with Jensen and Saxon as the lead men? It's possible, although our sources would not confirm or deny.

When Deus Ex: Universe was announced, Square Enix released a piece of concept art representing a “'ghetto-city' voluntarily built in order to separate the classes.” You can see it below.

“The people in this segregated class have reshaped their environment, nostalgic for their ideal of Cyber Renaissance,” said Square Enix. “This dark and dystopian vision sets the tone for things to come in Deus Ex.”

A Deus Ex: Universe logo appeared in an EU trademark database last week, sparking speculation that a proper reveal would come at E3 2014. But it wasn't to be. Square Enix has yet to formaly elaborate on its plans.
Square-Enix was running into financial trouble around the same time, so it makes sense that they would cut down on any risks.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom