Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Inactive [LP CYOA] Overlord

a cut of domestic sheep prime

I realize that. Well, I'm not sure I think it's a trap so much a way to use or debilitate us after we've done his dirty work.

Everything in this room is an illusion. A suggestion of the tower that this guy somehow has control over. Right?

Therefore, the book is not blank and perhaps not even a book.

Actually, it makes me wonder if the tower's power isn't his only power.

ScubaV

Prophet
One pro for letting "Faria" execute his scheme is that we may be able to learn from the spell and adapt it for our own purposes. As I mentioned before, Faria is dismissive of the idea of creating new magic. His background is likely from a D&D type world (much like the one we currently find ourselves in) where there is an established repertoire of spells and only with great skill and difficulty are new ones created. He probably would not anticipate us being able to create a counter. That said, we (unfortunately) do not have access to Rin's demon eyes. She could help us with an ongoing effect, but not if it is a one-time event.

One pro for letting "Faria" execute his scheme is that we may be able to learn from the spell and adapt it for our own purposes. As I mentioned before, Faria is dismissive of the idea of creating new magic. His background is likely from a D&D type world (much like the one we currently find ourselves in) where there is an established repertoire of spells and only with great skill and difficulty are new ones created.
That or he is not a mage at all and can't do anything but manipulate the tower's system.

treave

Arcane
Patron
Codex 2012
At least with D you had the element of surprise. Sometimes all you need is to get the first punch in on a decrepit old man. :M

A - 6
B - 3
C - 8

C wins.

treave

Arcane
Patron
Codex 2012
I'm not saying it was going to be successful, mind you. Just that you at least had something going for you in D. :M

Jester

Arbiter
WE got to make sure Erdrick blooms into into proper Erdick, out with this e I say and start planing how to kick out Er. It's disrupts feng-shui of this character.

lemmings-off-the-cliff-o.gif

treave

Arcane
Patron
Codex 2012
Wall

“I think you would have to agree that signing this thing, right here, would be pretty short-sighted of me,” you say. “This is practically a page from a ‘How to Scam’ manual!” Incidentally, you had collaborated on one yourself, though the existence of the manual itself was a scam.

“Short-sighted or not, you do not have any other options,” says Faria calmly. “Sign, and be free of this place.”

“How about I don’t sign and break free anyway?”

“Like how you were doing before I found you? I fear that is not a very successful path.”

“A temporary setback,” you say, dismissing his words. “I am perfectly capable of making my way to the top without the assistance of this dodgy tome.”

“Are you, now?” The wrinkles on Faria’s forehead deepens, his mouth curling into a grin that is entirely unfriendly. “I do not share that faith, angel.”

“You don’t have to. I’ll show it to you,” you say confidently.

“It would be much easier if you signed, however,” he presses again.

“Has anyone ever told you that pestering people only reduces their likelihood to buy into what you’re selling? You don’t make for a very good merchant, Faria.”

“I suppose that is a resolute no, then?”

“Of course. I can do this by myself. Your aid is unnecessary. Now-“

“Now you do realize I cannot let you go that easily now, can I?” The quality of Faria’s voice changes, cracking, as if layers of creaking rust have peeled away to reveal a solid core of cold metal underneath. “I have shown you this place, now I must take care lest you reveal it to others.”

“There is no reason for me to-“

“I do not trust you, just as you do not trust me. Why, you could turn me in to whoever the Warden is this year the moment you left this room!” Faria chuckles as he steps backwards. Behind him, on the far side of the room, a passageway opens up, the walls crumbling and folding away in the reverse of how they behaved when you arrived here. The flames lighting your surroundings begin to wink out, one by one. “Still, you may yet earn my trust and my confidence in your abilities if you pass this one little test. If you do not, you have no hopes of reaching the top of the tower as you are.”

“More of these silly games? Don’t you find this tiresome?” you grumble, moving towards Faria. But your feet refuse to budge. You glance down, and in the fading light you see that somehow they have fused with the earth. The ground begins to creep up, climbing your ankles, your calves, and your knees. “Faria,” you growl. “What is the meaning of this?”

“Ah, what a predictable response. What a boring question. This is your trial, angel. If you manage to break free and find me again, then we may talk.”

The earth has encased your waist now. “You do know that when I break free this is only going to make me want to punch your rotten teeth in, don’t you?” you warn. “Now, if you let me go I might settle for just a gentle box to your ears.”

Faria laughs. “We shall see about that. We shall see.”

Your arms freeze in position, trapped within the cold earth. Were you not so debilitated by the tower's seals you could have broken free easily, but as you are now, any resistance is futile. It has now covered your chest, exerting a tremendous amount of pressure, and you find it difficult to draw breath. The earth circles around your neck, constricting it, and you cannot even speak. Still it climbs, up to your chin, to your mouth, and over your nose. As the clammy mud flows into your ears, walling you into a block of absolute silence, you pick up, faintly, Faria’s last chuckles. “…then I shall wait, and hope.”

And then you hear, and see, no more.

---CHAPTER END---

Last edited:

lightbane

Arcane
Congratulations C-flipfloppers, enjoy your time-skip! We shall see Erd again in about 1d1000 years. :rage:
On the plus side, this chapter end gives treave a good excuse to stop this lp for a while. One solid as stone, we could say. :troll:

Time to dream of our inner angelz.

Or die. Nice going.

lemmings.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:

TOME

Cuckmaster General
Oh well. I don't think we could have done any worse.

Azira

Arcane
Patron
Codex 2012
I'm not upset. It might just teach Erdrick some patience. Maybe he'll even come up with some interesting new magical theories, and he might also actually improve from this experience.

Assuming he doesn't simply die from this. :M

Baltika9

Arcane
Oh well. I don't think we could have done any worse.
Yeah, we fucked up by coming here, alone, in the first place. Still, I'll take this over being bound to him any year of the millennium.
On the bright side, we can finally sleep.
+M

Again, this is why the codex needs a set number of fate points each chapter to get us out of difficult situations and/or rollback a choice. 1 or 2 would probably be enough. We are too prone to making slip ups that mess up the storyline.

treave

Arcane
Patron
Codex 2012
If you guys want a rollback it should be all the way back to the whole "let's use a teleportation circle in the midst of the enemy camp and hope no one messes with it!" plan. :M

Regardless, no rollbacks. It's a good opportunity for me to jump the plot ahead a bit.

Don't worry, you'll be back in Grahferde in the next chapter as that statue of yourself you always wanted. :M:M

Only 300 years will have passed after Rin got pissed off and just slaughtered her way up to the top of the tower.

ScubaV

Prophet
I actually thought the prison break plot point was interesting and I would have liked to see it played out. Oh well. I'm kind of disappointed, but not really butthurt. I guess you get jaded and expect these retarded decisions with some regularity. I know I've backed some really dumb ideas (I voted to jump through the portal in Epic, although I did vote against sphere diplomacy).

Baltika9

Arcane
Again, this is why the codex needs a set number of fate points each chapter to get us out of difficult situations and/or rollback a choice. 1 or 2 would probably be enough. We are too prone to making slip ups that mess up the storyline.
Fuck. That.
I'm still disgusted we pulled that shit in Legend.

I'm still disgusted we pulled that shit in Legend.
What you should be disgusted by is all the stupid deaths we died.

If we hadn't rolled back, we would have ended early on, or after getting murdered by Bai, or after stupidly trying to fight an entire town full of criminals, or after confessing our love in the most forever alone pathetic way possible.

Baltika9

Arcane
Not quite. BJ was going to toss us in prison with Yang Xue, who would've treated us as a fellow inmate or some such (I forget what treave said, exactly).
Point being, there were ways to turn our losses around. We just backed out as a group and took the easy way out.
Sometimes, failing makes for a good story.
or after confessing our love in the most forever alone pathetic way possible.
You take that back! Lord Zhang ending was the best ending.

treave

Arcane
Patron
Codex 2012
I actually thought the prison break plot point was interesting and I would have liked to see it played out. Oh well. I'm kind of disappointed, but not really butthurt. I guess you get jaded and expect these retarded decisions with some regularity. I know I've backed some really dumb ideas (I voted to jump through the portal in Epic, although I did vote against sphere diplomacy).
I figured it was distracting a bit too much from the main thrust of this LP, though there are some helpful lore tidbits and powerups you could have gained upon reaching the top of the tower.

I'll probably revisit a Chateau D'If style prison story some time in the future in a separate LP with a better designed system and factions, this was just an idea I tried on a whim.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom