Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

The New DOOM Thread (2016)

Baron Dupek

Arcane
10/10 music? Nah.
Music that does not feel like a filler and you never notice it? More so.
So much bland not inspirational, shallow stuff in audio is made this make it at least noticeable.

soulburner

Cipher
The game is pretty fun:
- the maps are big and you can get lost on them while searching for keys or other crap. I love it! No FPS game had such maps since... I don't know, the first Unreal?
- the secrets are hard to find, even with the full automap
- the monsters are fast and quite deadly. I was surprised how fast the imp's fireball is
- the graphics are pretty good, the textures look great (from up close also) and have no pop-in effect. Nice looking reflections and stuff

However, there are many bad things:
- a weird mix of old and the new: why do I collect some weird stuff that enhance my suit, weapons, advance in health, armor and ammo capacity? That's just lame and too "modern"
- health and ammo falling out from dying enemies is health auto-regen in disguise. Not only it looks stupid, it is stupid
- the weapon models are HUGE and UGLY and sound like shit
- all the audio is fucked up (the whole thing sounds like recorded during an E3 presentation) and so far, no monster is making any distinguishable noise. Like in Quake 1 you could know there's an Ogre walking around the corner just by hearing it breathe
- which brings us to another stupid thing: monster spawns. Barely any monsters roam the world. You enter an area, all doors close and you fight 30 spawning monsters until the doors open. Is this Doom or Painkiller?
- someone screwed up, either id Software or AMD and the game is running in OpenGL 4.3 compatibility mode instead of 4.5. The beta used 4.5 on AMD. No Vulkan API support out of the box, probably not to make Nvidia look bad so close to the release of the new GeForces ;)
- the plot is so stupid they probably sat and thought "let's show the world the story in Doom is so pointless by making it so stupid people will want to have no desire to know anything about it"

Self-Ejected

Bubbles

I'm forever blowing
- a weird mix of old and the new: why do I collect some weird stuff that enhance my suit, weapons, advance in health, armor and ammo capacity? That's just lame and too "modern"

It may seem weird to you, but at least it ensures that we can get a Codex front page review.

vortex

Fabulous Optimist
However, there are many bad things:
- health and ammo falling out from dying enemies is health auto-regen in disguise. Not only it looks stupid, it is stupid
I love it. You can replay it with different upgrade path. Any replayability attempt is welcomed nowadays.
- the weapon models are HUGE and UGLY and sound like shit
The bigger they are the harder they hit. I find them pleasing.
- all the audio is fucked up (the whole thing sounds like recorded during an E3 presentation) and so far, no monster is making any distinguishable noise. Like in Quake 1 you could know there's an Ogre walking around the corner just by hearing it breathe
Didn't noticed it. It was OK.
- which brings us to another stupid thing: monster spawns. Barely any monsters roam the world. You enter an area, all doors close and you fight 30 spawning monsters until the doors open. Is this Doom or Painkiller?

This I agree. I had some jumpscares and suprises but basically you know when the spawn horde begins and when it finishes.

Increasing

Plant
Advertising plant
How does it compare with nuWolfenstein? Is it better?
I think you can't compare it. Doom is arcade shooter. New order also had stealth component.
But Doom has set gameplay on the next level. IMO, many new shooters will draw from it.
I can only hope that they will. Word of word is excellent so far, and it looks like the game is selling pretty well. Some reviewers like the IGN one obviously aren't reacting that well to a PC-style FPS, but Metacritic average will be irrelevant in the end as long as sales are good And I hope that younger players will indeed have higher expectations from gameplay and level design in AAA shooters after playing this.

:lol: Bubbles is getting into the groove of things.
Right, so everyone who likes Doom must be either on Bethesda's payroll or joking... Looking at overwhelmingly good player reaction to this game, that would probably mean that we have awfully many jokers around and that number of paid shills is going to push Bethesda into bankruptcy.

Increasing

Plant
Advertising plant
537222_v1.jpg

JarlFrank

I like Thief THIS much
Patron
Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
There is so much wrong with this image I don't even know where to begin.

And fun fact: first time I played Doom was when Brutal Doom came out, I read up on it, thought "hey I always wanted to try Doom and this mod looks interesting", found out there's a sourceport called ZDoom that lets me play with modern-styled mouselook, and that's when I first played Doom. I had played over a dozen FPS games of varying quality, from shit tier to god tier, before Doom. Unreal, Return to Castle Wolfenstein, Soldier of Fortune, Half Life 1 and 2, Call of Duty 2... and the list goes on.
As a guy who first played Doom in 2014, after playing countless other FPS games, with zero nostalgia attached to it, I rate it god tier because it's just really fucking great.

The new Doom, on the other hand, is just plain mediocre in every respect.

Daedalos

Arcane
The Real Fanboy

And fun fact: first time I played Doom was when Brutal Doom came out, I read up on it, thought "hey I always wanted to try Doom and this mod looks interesting", found out there's a sourceport called ZDoom that lets me play with modern-styled mouselook, and that's when I first played Doom. I had played over a dozen FPS games of varying quality, from shit tier to god tier, before Doom. Unreal, Return to Castle Wolfenstein, Soldier of Fortune, Half Life 1 and 2, Call of Duty 2... and the list goes on.
As a guy who first played Doom in 2014, after playing countless other FPS games, with zero nostalgia attached to it, I rate it god tier because it's just really fucking great.

Out of curiosity, how does one go about not having played doom until 2014?? I imagine you're 25+ years of age and been gamin' most of your life, as most ppl here? The game has been everywhere since the 90s, talked about everywhere, played everywhere, on every shareware CD-ROM and at every LAN-PARTY. Siht was bigger than Michael Jackson.

What the fuck dude :D If it's true, I would say that's an amazing story.

Forest Dweller

Smoking Dicks
- the maps are big and you can get lost on them while searching for keys or other crap. I love it! No FPS game had such maps since... I don't know, the first Unreal?
Alright can someone clear this up for me? Does this game retain the old-school level design philosophy or not? On the one hand you mention large maps and keys, which implies the adventure-style level progression that was present in the original. But then you mention kill rooms and locked doors, which definitely doesn't. So where does this game fit in that regard? If it doesn't have the sophisticated exploration elements that were present in the original, it's not a nostalgic throwback; I don't care what other features it may have.

So what of worth was released in the last 10 years? Would you call CoDs, Killzones, Halos... better shooters than Doom? As an old school, PC-first shooter, Doom is the best one we got in a long time.
PC-what? I mean even if we pretend for the sake of argument that it actually is true. What of it?

Metro

Arcane
Beg Auditor
It's an okay game... which in this day and age means it's 10/10 GOTY.

Beowulf

Arcane
This image is pure bullshit.
It's because obviously it's false. The nuDoom guy in the image holds shotgun with his left hand, while in the game he is clearly right handed.
Seems fake. I can tell from some of the pixels and from seeing quite a few shops in my time.

JarlFrank

I like Thief THIS much
Patron
Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.

Out of curiosity, how does one go about not having played doom until 2014?? I imagine you're 25+ years of age and been gamin' most of your life, as most ppl here? The game has been everywhere since the 90s, talked about everywhere, played everywhere, on every shareware CD-ROM and at every LAN-PARTY. Siht was bigger than Michael Jackson.

What the fuck dude :D If it's true, I would say that's an amazing story.

Yeah, I've been gaming since the early 90s but haven't gotten into the FPS genre before 2000, and then Doom was already mostly part of history and a dedicated fan community. On LAN parties we played newer stuff like Quake 3 and Battlefield 1942.

Lyric Suite

Converting to Islam
The image is nonsense because the points in the comparison are too generic. Lol Doom was awesome. Doom 4 is awesome. Therefore, anyone who prefers the first over the latter is just going on nostalgia.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom