Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Stellaris - Paradox new sci-fi grand strategy game

Game seems to run GPU into the ground whenever you alt-tab (when you are running fullscreen, not borderless), though in-game it's barely used and sits at comfortable 30C

Xeon

Augur
What size of a galaxy were you playing? What difficulty? How many civilizations were you playing with? What proximity were these other civilizations in?
I played on default settings but changed the galaxy shape to spiral 4 arms. Medium 600/Spiral 4/17 AI/4 Advanced/Normal/Any/No.

Self-Ejected

Ulminati

Kamelåså!
Patron
Modders have been busy on steam workshop. 2 mods that will particularly appeal to the codex are;

1) planet limit raised from 5 to 995, for all your autistic micromanagement needs

2) Human race with only European names and white skin available for racial purists.

Turisas

Arch Devil
Patron
Enslaved bronze age apes with the super strong trait, invincible slave shock troops hooo!

So what's the deal with wormhole stations? are you supposed to have one and gradually increase its radius through research or what? I can't seem to find a suitable system to build one more.

GarfunkeL

Racism Expert
Fucking hyperspace using cheating bastards.

I'm using warp and cannot reach the planets of my enemy, so I figure he can't reach me either. OH NO, FORGOT ABOUT HYPERSPACE DID YOU?! There goes my homeworld.

Also, combat is fucked. Since the ships literally just ram at each other and then circle around shooting at random targets, the winner is always the one with more DPS. Yes, DPS. I created "sniper" ships and while they get couple of shots while out-ranging the enemy, they then close in just like the short-range combatants. Combine this with the fact that targeting seems to be completely random - there is no tech or doctrine or edict to influence it and closely watching multiple combats seems to confirm it - and it means that basically you want to create as many ships with as many guns that shoot as often as possible. Because long-range combatants cannot keep the range open, because there is no focus fire, because ships seems to switch targets randomly. It is saddening that the combat is basically a poor version of HOI3 naval combat - having shitty naval combat was acceptable when the ground combat was the main thing but jesus fucking christ, you're making a 4X space game with unbelievably retarded combat between space ships. There aren't even random combat events to spice things up. Compared to this, Space Empires combat is the pinnacle of strategic mastery.

Yeah combat is pretty shit, I was destroying mining station or something of the sort, when it had 70hp one of the smaller enemy fleets engaged mine (the one that was fighting with the station), so instead of finishing off the station it completely switched to a few measly ships, effectively losing time and sustaining unnecessary damage from a barely alive mining thing.

Jimmious

Arcane
Patron
Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
Im not sure the combat is so random. But I cant prove the opposite either.
There are combat AI technologies which later are installed to your ships but I don't really know what they do tbh
For sure the combat is obscure, that's certain. You have no real idea of whats up except some vague numbers and stats

Self-Ejected

Ulminati

Kamelåså!
Patron
Fleets generally fight fleets first, and target the first ships that get in range. For this reason, I made 2 fleets in my empire. A punching bag fleet of cheap ships with minimal weapons and maximum defence goes in first. Once the first volleys have been traded, I fly in my more expensive sniper ships to deal damage.

So what's the deal with wormhole stations? are you supposed to have one and gradually increase its radius through research or what? I can't seem to find a suitable system to build one more.

You can fly to or from any system in wormhole range. You can build a new gate at the edge of your range to extend it. For your core system, you may want 2-3 wormhole generators, as they can only move one fleet at a time

mutonizer

Arcane
Patron

They cannot be built within a system gravity well so you need to place them way outside on the edge (outside the red bit), bit like your original station.

Quigs

Magister
Hit a hump last night. Capped on resources. Uplifted two civs that have since integrated (That's kinda cool). Neighbors like me. Random distant opponents that I go to war with tend to be of the "I show up and win" variety, as opposed to any back and forth interplay.

The biggest gripe I have is that there doesn't seem to be a reason to expand. There is no logical progression. In CK2 you take your county, you go for the duchy, then the country, then the empire. Once you're at empire, you start taking out other empires and comfortably steamroll as your little lordlings do all the work for you, responding to their own whims.

Here, your sector commanders seem content to do nothing, additional planets merely reduce the research times from 60 months to 58 months, and you're practically post-scarcity so the drive to get 'more' is meaningless. I've a fairly small faction, yet I'm gaining minerals faster than I can use them to build ships with. My credits are capped, with +34 coming in anyway, on top of a full fleet and a third civ I'm uplifting. This seems to be a universal problem, as no one will accept credits in trades.

Joining an alliance lowers your monthly influence, and in the early game can be enough to put you in negative income. I've thought about creating a grand federation, but again, why? There is no threat. Everyone has plenty. Gaining more is an annoying bother. I feel like I'm playing past the point the game gave me a "You Win" screen, but without the sense of accomplishment.

Self-Ejected

Ulminati

Kamelåså!
Patron
Research AI or jump drives. That should kick-start fun for you. Or taunt a fallen empire. Their fleets have some sweet tech you can salvage after a fight

Jimmious

Arcane
Patron
Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
Or just try to win? Fastly? Federations and expansions in the end are the means to that. If you are so uberpowerful then go along and murder everyone, or capture 40% of the map and win

Quigs

Magister
Research AI or jump drives. That should kick-start fun for you. Or taunt a fallen empire. Their fleets have some sweet tech you can salvage after a fight

I researched robots hoping it would unlock something fun, it didn't. Same with droids. I've got a few AI techs already. I've got a fallen empire nearby, but they're friendly and powerful. I built for about 20 minutes and reduced their relative fleet strength from the most extreme rank to the second most extreme rank. So I guess I could just build for an hour, throw things at the empire and wait, but then I'd just have to deal with the inevitable annoyance of taking over their territory.

I'm not sure if CK2 spoiled me with how well it handled AI underlings, or if this game is just terrible at it. Since you literally have to click on each individual troop to give them their upgrades, I'm guessing it's the latter.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom