Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Battlefield 1 - set in World War 1

Doktor Best

Arcane
the original BFG

NotAGolfer

Arcane
Patron
Divinity: Original Sin 2
So I took a glimpse in my crystal ball again and for some reason this game popped up.
Here's a world exclusive piece of news about the single player campaign for you guys, something noone else knows yet and DICE tries to keep a secret at all costs:
You sure you want to be spoiled?
This will come as a shock to you, so better brace yourself!
So you really wanna know? Ok then, you have been warned:
*drum roll*
It will be shit.

:M

Like, complete and utterly retarded garbage made for morons that never touched a history book and suffer from a severe case of ADHD. Your average consoletard to be precise.
Also this won't even be WW1, this will be some steampunk shit with WW1 'inspirations'.
Metal armor and portable machine guns, roflz!

Multiplayer will be gud of course, but who fucking cares, amirite?

Last edited:

Hoodoo

It gets passed around.
Dumbfuck
Worst armed conflict? One of the worst, but WWII takes the cake.
If you just look at the casualties numbers and don't look at the fighting conditions. I'll give you that the eastern German-Soviet front was probably just as bad.

Hoodoo

It gets passed around.
Dumbfuck
The mud and blood is way over-focused on only appear in very late 1916 and even then limted to very active areas like are Ypres until well into 1917.

The horrors appeared as soon as the war started. Early 1916 was probably the worst phase with Germany's new doctrine of maximizing enemy casualties at all cost until the entire countries of France and Britain were emptied.

It's a very British and European view that is puzzling to Americans, Canadians and Australians. We lack the maudlin view of WWI and are able to better see the reasons and good that was done, namely as I mention, stopping a Germany that had suddenly found itself very much liking the idea of running all over Europe once things got started.

The Brits and French understood more than anyone else why they were going at war. If anything it was the Americans who had no clue about what was going on. Which led to the worst peace treaty of all time and the cause of WW2.

War in 1914 had nothing glamorous about it. It consisted of fielding as much men as possible and packing them together in a giant advancing meatwall while the artillery stood behind and fired anything lethal at the enemy's meatwall. There's a reason why you have more games on the Napoleonic Wars than World War 1.

Jick Magger

Arcane
Patron
PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Serpent in the Staglands Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Bubbles In Memoria
I wouldn't say that Australians lack the 'maudlin' view of the war. ANZAC Memorial Day is still a widely respected event in both Australia and New Zealand, and talk of the First World War is seldom, if ever on whatever 'good' was done with it, and more on the horrific loss of life in places like Gallipoli and the Somme on both sides, and was a pretty important stepping-stone for the founding of both countries national identity. Even more people have a quite blistering contempt for figures like Winston Churchill for allowing the former to be botched so badly (which I think is unfair. The guy's plan was definitely flawed, but it failed for reasons that were basically out of his control).

Daedalos

Arcane
The Real Fanboy
Pretty autistic discussion going on.

Who the fuck cares about the accuracy of historical events in a FPS multiplayer shooter? Seriously.. This ain't a fuckin' interactive documentary. If you want that, go to a library.

This is entertainment, this is fun. Playing war games is fun. And playing WWI is fun, because it involves all kinds of different old school military shit, planes, horses, melee combat and other shit.

Is has absolutely no correlation with how "brutal" a war was ir us, and especially if you should "DO" a wargame or not, just because WWI was specifically brutal.

A war game is a war game. It has absolutely no say in if they war was "right" "wrong" or whatever the fuck. Just play it for fun. Pew pew, tanks, bazookas, gas etc. Making a wargame is not "glorifying" the horrific stuff that happend during that time, it just tries to involve the player in some of the action that the people went through.

GreyViper

Prophet
Battlefield: Siege of Vraks plx.

Watching the trailer did give me the steampunk vibe, after i got over, its not a post apocalyptic WW4 game.

Trodat

Arcane
Patron
So is there any chance that the gameplay is any good? Last BF game I played was Bad Company 2, has the level of quality decreased or increased since then?

Gay-Lussac

Arcane
It's a very British and European view that is puzzling to Americans, Canadians and Australians. We lack the maudlin view of WWI and are able to better see the reasons and good that was done, namely as I mention, stopping a Germany that had suddenly found itself very much liking the idea of running all over Europe once things got started.

The Brits and French understood more than anyone else why they were going at war. If anything it was the Americans who had no clue about what was going on. Which led to the worst peace treaty of all time and the cause of WW2.

AFAIK the americans pushed for a reasonable peace treaty but the British and French wouldn't have it. That's even cited as one of the major reasons as to why the US pulled out of the League of Nations.

You're perhaps focusing more on the Holocaust and less on the armed conflict itself

Ebonsword

Arcane

The Germans were only "running all over Europe" because Britain and France wouldn't let them run all over the Third World, like they were doing.

imweasel

Politically correct collectors edition with a dark skinned WW1 super hero soldier. SJWs and tumblr fags rejoice.

GOv434v.jpg

Wirdschowerdn

Ph.D. in World Saving
Patron
The horrors of making a game that tells the story of some of whithey's most defining and world-shaping events?

We can't have that because we're afraid of the

5DUzGMS.gif

Tyrone Smugface must be on the cover instead.

Anyway, fuck EA and their Swedish PC lapdogs.

Hoodoo

It gets passed around.
Dumbfuck
Politically correct collectors edition with a dark skinned WW1 super hero soldier. SJWs and tumblr fags rejoice.

GOv434v.jpg

This is a sick joke. I'm livid.

That must be how it feels to be triggered.

Dexter

Arcane
Yeah, that bit is quite annoying, they're already banging on about "diversity" and "how important it was for them": https://archive.is/CHiGq#selection-2625.407-2715.257

GamesBeat: The single-player campaign story might have a challenge taking a single soldier around the world, right?

Berlin:
Our single-player will focus on different stories and different personalities across the world.

GamesBeat: The character you have on the front of the promotional stuff you were showing, the guy in the cape with the club and stuff, why that particular character?

Berlin:
We thought it was a cool image for the cover. When we set out on this game, we wanted to depict not just the common view of what the war was like. We wanted to challenge some preconceptions. We want to delve into some of the unknowns of World War One. Maybe people don’t know that this person fought or that person fought, that this army was involved. We’re stretching out and bringing all those stories into the game. But I can’t go into any specific details as far as which armies or characters we’re depicting at this point.

GamesBeat: You’re talking about revealing sides of the war that people don’t necessarily know about. A lot of people have made note of the fact that your cover character is black, even though obviously black people fought in World War One. For you guys, was that a conscious decision, an opportunity to show that there was more breadth to this war than people know about?

Berlin:
That’s the thing. People don’t know that this was the case. We want to show diversity in the game. That’s been a key goal. You can see in the trailer that there’s a Bedouin woman warrior on a horse. She’s a playable character in the single-player campaign.

Endemic

Arcane
What the fuck? Does he think the Bedouin were Scythians or something?

Alienman

Retro-Fascist
Patron
Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy Codex Year of the Donut Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
This game is going to feel so weird on the team mate front. You will be storming the front with your all American diversity regiment. Black, asian, arabic men and woman will man the machine-guns next to you. Man, I have no problem with expanding the story and so on. There were blacks that fought, but making it the forefront of your game feels a bit disrespectful to all those white young and old men that were grounded up to mincemeat by the millions. If it was steampunk, or a different time-line I wouldn't give a fuck, but it's clear that they have some focus on realism and that stuff should feel and look authentic.

Like hoodoo said I guess this is how it feels to be triggered :)

Last time I was triggered when in RO2 they gave everyone and their mother the experimental weapon MKB42. Maybe two out of a team of 20 had the regular mauser rifle.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom