Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

KickStarter Mechajammer (formerly Copper Dreams) - cyberpunk RPG from Whalenought Studios

LESS T_T

Arcane
Codex 2014
http://whalenoughtstudios.com/health-resting/

Health & Resting
Over the next few months we’ll be diving into the intricacies of the Burning Candle ruleset, which is the system we’ve created for both A Fool’s Banquet (the Serpent in the Staglands expansion) and Copper Dreams. One of the big mechanics which affects many aspects of gameplay, from combat to pacing to exploration, is health and resting.

Stackable Ailments

AilmentsCopperDreams.png

Instead of HP points, we’ll be using stackable ailments, which are the result of D8 die rolls that vary based on your weapon. The ailments fall into three categories, lesser, greater and mortal, each with its own cap that is increased or decreased by character creation stats. For example, a player might have 12 lesser ailment slots, 6 greater ailment slots, and 3 mortal ailment slots. If any of those three categories reach the cap, a player falls unconscious, and the next ailment in any category will result in death. NPCs have slightly different rules, dying immediately if a category is full instead of falling unconscious.

These ailments vary based on the weapon or projectile that is dealing damage, and require different kits to heal different types of damage. Burns from a grenade can’t be healed by the same kit that would clean up a puncture wound. Magic items can augment ailments with magical properties or roll an additional magic D8 with its own dynamic table of injuries — a fire sword not only could cause various slash damages, but it could also scald to incinerate flesh and bone.

These ailments do not just inch you closer to death’s doorway, but also decrease your stats until heal, simulating the weakness that your player should feel if they are fighting with a few bullets in their legs, a broken kneecap and a minor concussion. Stat decreases will vary based on the ailment category and body location. Arm injuries will hurt aim while a head injury impacts logic and mental stability.

Most lesser ailments disappear at the end of a round of combat or after a certain number of actions, while greater ones can be healed and mortal ailments require the aid of resting station.

One of the things we liked best about this system is taking away the abstraction of hit points and being able to put a mental image to the risks and dangers of combat. Getting hit with 8 damage doesn’t mean much, but the pain of a punctured lung is easy enough to imagine, and certainly more enjoyable to inflict.

Resting
Resting acts as a down time. While you rest you can heal the aforementioned wounds you received while exploring or carrying out missions with the help of resting stations or temples, and if you have party members who are already in fine health, they can work, gossip or train. Training is how you level up, and we’ll be discussing this in depth in a future post.

While resting can always heal if you’re in a safe area, resting activities take days and in a time-sensitive game this has to be done strategically.

resting.png

Engine Considerations
A brutal combat system like stacking ailments means a player may be reloading quite a bit. The Burning Candle, on the ‘engine’ side so to speak, loads from within the already instantiated map, so it’s nearly instantaneous. You live and learn with Unity development, and we think we’ve made some huge strides from the get go to make the experience much smoother for all users on the technical end of things.

In our next post we’ll be discussing combat! Farewell, fair reader, until then.

sstacks

Arcane
(mods, this is a duplicate post I just made in the Serpent in the Staglands thread... apologies if I have transgressed a deep and fundamental law of the Codexian universe and I understand if one of them needs to be obliterated, just trying to get the word out since it's time sensitive)

OK so the Williams will be on the show today in a couple of hours talking the SitS expansion and their new game Copper Dreams.

I'm dropping the news segment today to give them more time so they will get most of the show.

I'll try to monitor the forum for questions and comments but remember this is live radio and I have my hands full, can't guarantee I will get them. You can always call in at 501-823-0965 and ask or comment yourself, that's one of the reasons I do live talk radio so it can be interactive :)

Saturday, February 27th @ 1:05 PM Central
Little Rock: 96.5 FM
Online: http://965fmtheanswer.com/ + TuneIn & iHeartRadio apps

Live stream link: http://saleminteractivemedia.com/ListenLive/player/KHTEFM

I look forward to the unique and heady blend of Codex enthusiasm and devastation.

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
Codex Year of the Donut Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
(mods, this is a duplicate post I just made in the Serpent in the Staglands thread... apologies if I have transgressed a deep and fundamental law of the Codexian universe and I understand if one of them needs to be obliterated, just trying to get the word out since it's time sensitive)

OK so the Williams will be on the show today in a couple of hours talking the SitS expansion and their new game Copper Dreams.

I'm dropping the news segment today to give them more time so they will get most of the show.

I'll try to monitor the forum for questions and comments but remember this is live radio and I have my hands full, can't guarantee I will get them. You can always call in at 501-823-0965 and ask or comment yourself, that's one of the reasons I do live talk radio so it can be interactive :)

Saturday, February 27th @ 1:05 PM Central
Little Rock: 96.5 FM
Online: http://965fmtheanswer.com/ + TuneIn & iHeartRadio apps

Live stream link: http://saleminteractivemedia.com/ListenLive/player/KHTEFM

I look forward to the unique and heady blend of Codex enthusiasm and devastation.

This is live now.

Grotesque

±¼ ¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Patron
Vatnik
Divinity: Original Sin Divinity: Original Sin 2
The dice animation above a character is a neat way to represent the rolls.
they're neat but somewhat out of place for a high-tech/cyber themed game.

I would've used an animation of lines of code that morph into a set of random numbers.

I get it, it's so dystopian. But try symbolism elsewhere not with palette.
diablo3_release_date.jpeg
VS.
diablo-the-butcher.jpg
I like the UI and that the devs don't settle down by quickly throwing off plain boxes with text and numbers in them and that they understand that the UI also plays an important role in player immersion.
The palette choice is just fine. In my opinion, all it needs are "hot spots" of color to contrast the it:
blade_runner_game_by_lizarkeo-d5m5nmh.jpg

Screen5.JPG

image.jpg

roshan

Arcane
I don't think roshan will let us get away with anything too jarring, being seemingly less privy to 3d than we are!

When the first technical preview came out, I mostly gave feedback (IE bitched a lot) about the camera. However, now the game's camera is great. It looks and plays just like a 2D isometric game, except it's a 3D world complete with Z axis gameplay.

Grotesque

±¼ ¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Patron
Vatnik
In a parallel universe that is more just, this thread has 200+ pages already and Sawyer sweeps the station platform for a living. :P

Self-Ejected

Bubbles

I'm forever blowing
Yeah. I don't think inXile would've made 3 million for WL2 if they'd kicked off their campaign with a close-up of Angela Deth's in-game model.

Ninjerk

Arcane
Unlike WL2, I think the rudimentary graphics are meant to be part of the attraction.

Grotesque

±¼ ¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Patron
Vatnik
being low polly doesn't mean without style. that one has style. looks good in my book. I would take that artistic direction over the Wasteland 2 3D character models.

valcik

Arcane
Grotesque is right, style and animations is all that matters. Gorky 17 still kicks ass with its low poly models, gore, and death animations!

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom