Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Inactive [LP CYOA] Overlord

a cut of domestic sheep prime

IV - Continuing down the path we've already invested in.
VI - And this is how we'll make it work. We'll turn the manipulation magic she is already using on the prisoners and use it to make them vote for us instead.
X - Well, we spent 1 point on sleep, so we might as well go all in and vote for it again.

lightbane

Arcane
ITZ LIVES! Well, sorta. Time to make up some choices and hope for the best:

II. Continue to attempt to persuade the prisoners on the first floor to support you.
IX. Make use of the morning exercise period, when many of the first floor inmates are gathered in the courtyard, to give a speech. Of course, you may face a penalty for not exercising like you are supposed to.

I wish to see Erd giving an epic/emotionally engaging speech. The potential for hilarity is enormous.
X. Sleep.

I'm still waiting for that halo upgrade. :rpgcodex:

Kipeci

Arcane
OK, I'm going to go in for I>VI, IV, X. I to influence the guards and get in well with them because that will be helpful later on and they can move around the floors, IV because we've already invested in it and it seems we might be able to get returns, and X so that Erd is able to be at his best for influencing the voting procedure without getting caught and made to have a terrible time. VI is good in place of I if we want to be more confident in securing a win, so that's a good conditional and it gives Rin something constructive to do.

I don't really see the benefit in investing tremendously in these losers on the first floor since we'll be boned even if we have a complete lock on them if we aren't able to push the results some other way, so II and IX appear to me as something of a waste.

TOME

Cuckmaster General
IV. Continue to look into magically manipulating the way the prisoners vote.
VI. Work with Rin to investigate the magical traces involved with Queen Bee’s information.
VIII. Approach the emissaries that Queen Bee has sent to the first floor. Perhaps they can be coerced for your benefit.

Continue doing what we chose last time.

Tigranes

Arcane
As Lambchop says, IV/VI, then IX>X.

Seems like we will eventually have to crack Bee's superior reach across the upper floors and her psychic powers somehow to even the odds, and IV/VI should let us make an effort. IX might be interesting, and as I pointed out before, the first floor is going to have a larger population than the others, but I don't think the first floor is ultimately what wins us the thing.

treave

Arcane
Patron
Codex 2012
Final tally, post-flops:

I -
II - I
III - I
IV - IIIIIIIII
V -
VI - IIIIIIIII
VII - I
VIII - III
IX - II
X - IIII

treave

Arcane
Patron
Codex 2012
The Second Day

You have not pushed yourself like this in quite a while, but the ticking deadline of the voting forces your hand. Sighing, you begin to pen the last few flourishes onto the scroll, setting down the magical theory that will form the basis of a new spell. Besides you, Rin lies on her front, waving her bare legs about in boredom. For some reason, she begins kicking you playfully, nudging your arm and your writing perilously close to ruining the effort of the past day. As you make to grab her ankle, she slides away with a cheerful giggle.

“If I mess this up, it’s on you,” you warn grumpily.

“Is that even possible?” says Rin, shrugging, entirely unconcerned. She has adapted to this prison stay very, very quickly. But you must admit that she is right. A mage of your esteemed caliber should not be messing up a spell of this level, misspellings or no.

Subversion is not exactly a simple spell - in fact, the complexity of its magic could rival any spell of B-rank and above – but it is a fairly efficient one. Rin was able to pick up traces of lingering magic with her demonic eyes and – somehow, to your utmost surprise – give you sufficient explanation to devise a counterspell. Your new magic requires a mental spell to have been cast on the subject beforehand; regardless of the first spell’s source, your spell is able to piggy-back upon the strings of magic that have altered their mental state, subverting it to your own purposes. At this moment you are only able to offer very subtle suggestions and manipulations, but you think this will be enough.

What piques your curiosity more is the person who cast this spell in the first place. According to Rin, the spell has apparently permeated not just the first and second floors, but goes all the way beyond the fourth floor. From what you have managed to discover about Queen Bee, you are fairly certain she does not have the power to pull off such a stunt. It has to be someone else, but who and why?

With the limited knowledge and power you have, you cannot rule out any magical traps lying in wait to counter a counterspell.

Unfortunately, it is too late to consider any other path of action.

By committing yourself entirely to this path, there is no other recourse left for you to turn the tide on the final day of voting. Nothing else will work in time. You had spent the entire day working on the spell and sleeping; whatever little support you managed to drum up on the first day has been mostly wiped out by Queen Bee’s outreach efforts.

This is the current status of the votes:

Erdrick – 5%

Queen Bee – 95%

With – 50% – of the tower population yet to cast a vote.

A. Cast Subversion as soon as you can and attempt to exchange the vote totals to be in your favour. If anything goes wrong with the spell, you will be able to fix it on the go. On the downside, it will also provide Queen Bee with enough time to notice the problem and execute her countermeasures, if she has any.

B. Cast Subversion a few hours away from the deadline. Hopefully this will provide you enough time to notice anything wrong with the spell and fix it, while reducing the amount of time Queen Bee has to act. Unfortunately, you cannot be certain that this will actually give you enough time to mend any problems or that it will not give Queen Bee enough time to retaliate.

C. Cast Subversion at the last second, literally. You are fully confident in your ability to write a proper spell – what sort of super-mage would you be if you didn’t – and this will ensure Queen Bee enjoys the feeling of confidence and victorious satisfaction as much as she can before having the rug pulled away from underneath her in the very last moments of her apparent triumph. That should be fun.

Kipeci

Arcane
I want to go with C. We've been choosing to sleep every time, right? With that being the case, we ought to have been rested enough to pick out the problems in the spell as we created it. With that being so, let's allow her the least amount of time to cock up the spell and enjoy her sudden, wildly unexpected defeat.

So, I'll be voting C > B. I don't want to give her time to access whatever less restricted allies that she may have on the floors above.

treave

Arcane
Patron
Codex 2012
If it hasn't been mentioned yet, yes, they can still change their votes after casting them.

lightbane

Arcane
Yay, an early update! However, on the other hand, things are going poorly. It seems getting in touch with our "Angelic side" was a lie after all.

EDIT: I changed my mind.
B>A

I'm not confident with our chances of victory, but perhaps a miracle will happen. Failing that, what will follow is a "being doomed to spend the rest of eternity in a dungeon sex prison" bad end, which will be certainly funny to read. So it's a win-win either way.

Last edited:

a cut of domestic sheep prime

With the limited knowledge and power you have, you cannot rule out any magical traps lying in wait to counter a counterspell.

It's not just an issue of time. It's also an issue of whether on not there are automatic traps or protections. We may cast at the last moment, only to find out that our spell doesn't work due to an unforeseen factor.

B>A

A>B

Last edited by a moderator:

lightbane

Arcane
Besides you, Rin lies on her front, waving her bare legs about in boredom. For some reason, she begins kicking you playfully, nudging your arm and your writing perilously close to ruining the effort of the past day. As you make to grab her ankle, she slides away with a cheerful giggle.

“If I mess this up, it’s on you,” you warn grumpily.

“Is that even possible?” says Rin, shrugging, entirely unconcerned. She has adapted to this prison stay very, very quickly. But you must admit that she is right. A mage of your esteemed caliber should not be messing up a spell of this level, misspellings or no.

Random thoughts: it seems Rin has gotten quite comfortable with Erd's presence by now. Initially she would have been wary to be such close to him, but now she's even lazying out next to him without worries. She also pretty much implied she fully trust him with whatever he's doing.
Also, I expected such a spoiled princess would have trouble surviving in a prison complex where daily life is covered with nonsensical rules, but that has not been the case. Perhaps that's her German demonic blood, which allowed her to adapt so quickly.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom