Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

From Software Dark Souls 3

Kutulu

Arcane
Patron
PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy Insert Title Here RPG Wokedex
yeah i think it was lobos with the fists only run too...

letofski did the other crazy shit, like self-mutilation-chain i mentioned up there and permadeath ng-ng7 in DS1&2.
I find it fucking unbelieveable going through 7ngs without dying once, he even did it with viewer picked weapons, so
every ng+ or every death someone picked a new weapon for him....

Last edited:

Raghar

Arcane
Vatnik
letofski did the other crazy shit, like self-mutilation-chain i mentioned up there and permadeath ng-ng7 in DS1&2.
I find it fucking unbelieveable going through 7ngs without dying once, he even did it with viewer picked weapons, so
every ng+ or every death someone picked a new weapon for him....
When I picked Priscilla dagger for him, he said. When someone picks weapon like that he tends to quit in few minutes afterward, but this time he stayed to the end...

Happy hobb is playing with guitar run, he tried one handed run, and now he tried no death less hits than 100 naked run yesterday. Lobos is doing SL1 run, I think he finished it already with words 100 resistance shield is lifesaver.

Cowboy Moment

Arcane
You were right praetor, Champion Gundyr is actually one of the most fun bosses in the game. He's also one of the very few who are easier with a heavy weapon, I think. I had much more trouble with him using a straight sword compared to the Profane GS.

Slow weapons are definitely worse in PvE, as they come with no benefits other than more range, which is not that useful given the enemy design in DS3, and with a huge con of being able to get stunned out of most animations by a guy with a toothpick. From simple experience, the game is much easier and feels a lot better (as in, the intended experience) with a straight sword compared to a UGS.

Definetely not true. Playing with zweihander and most of my attacks do a) shitload of damage b) huge stun window. If something goes wrong roll and attacks from roll which thanks to heavy armor has almost 0 chance of being stunned.

Playing also as Blue Sentinel (who said it doesn't work ? I get summoned constantly as in can't play game with that banner switched on). Damage from roll and attack is brutal and due to how range works in pvp i usually do damage regardless of someone does roll away or not.

I think biggest + of DS3 compared to all other games in therm of combat is charged R2 attack.

You wouldn't believe how this shit is effective in pvp. Start attack hold on. Dude rolls, Release when he is mid roll. Watch him get hit. And since it is R2 it does ton of damage + ton of stun.

For PVE it also works due to that huge stun damage and ton of weapons will outright flatten monsters.

Tell me with a straight face that a Zweihander is as effective in PvE as a straight sword or Estoc. Go on.

And on an related note, does anyone really fall for that silly "charge up R2" trick? I don't even pvp, and I don't fall for it when people invade me.

Damned Registrations

Furry Weeaboo Nazi Nihilist
Tell me with a straight face that a Zweihander is as effective in PvE as a straight sword or Estoc. Go on.
Tell me with a straight face that a Mailbreaker is as effective in PvE as a Butcher Knife or a large club.

Not all weapons are equal. Zwei is a pretty shit weapon this time around; stats are tighter, less extra points to spend on cranking dex and str at the same time to make it do OP damage early on. Moveset is worse too. Doesn't mean there aren't other decent heavy weapons or shitty light ones. I'm just glad rapiers were decent this time around in pve. Playing the first three games with big two handed weapons that pancake everything from outside attack range got old.

Perkel

Arcane

I am telling you with straight face that Zweihander is effective in PvE as well. Currently playing few chars at once (where one is twohanded/zwei)

here you have me fighting frosty dude before road of sacrefices. With longsword i had problems with him but here zweihander did mince meat out of him (especially charged R2 attack which took most of his health away) fatrolling no less.

http://s1.webmshare.com/DA5Qx.webm

Overall Zwei isn't as powerful as it was in DS1 but still has terrific range and its R1 sweeps in pvp usually land even when someone rolls.

Also how do you know if something is normal attack r2 and charged r2 hmm ? Because when you play with someone the moment he starts attack you need to roll or you will be late.

Which is why it is effective. Because you don't need to charge it all the way. Just a bit so iframes will wear off.

cvv

Arcane
Patron
Codex+ Now Streaming!
In PvE most light weapons are more effective than heavy ones in most situations. The only exception being FUGS, because of its moveset (that 2H R1-R1 is just insane).

If you look at all the "all bosses no damage" challenge runners all of them use Estoc or such.

cvv

Arcane
Patron
Codex+ Now Streaming!
In case you have a free Sat night and you're into watching PvP there's the biggest DS3 tournament going on now commented by Oroboro and Fightincowboy, two of the most known DS youtubers.

Echo Mirage

Arcane
Be careful going to the usual PVP spot in the Boreal valley. There is a hacker livestreaming on Youtube soft banning people. There are links to the channel on the steam discussions page.

But anyway. Do people dual wield in PVP at all? I don't see any Youtubers of note doing it. And all the jolly cooperation I have seen are with people using with ultra great swords or straight swords. I tried the dancers swords but I just can't get the idea of how to play right. I'm to much of a sword and board player to get it.

And since everyone is talking about weapons. Is there a comprehensive list anywhere to conclusively sort the wheat from the chaff?

Utgard-Loki

Arcane
cheaters can get you banned while fucking around with impunity? i wonder how perkel and the other retard will defend this?

agamo

Novice
cheaters can get you banned while fucking around with impunity? i wonder how perkel and the other retard will defend this?

Yeah, there's a hack where an invader (or any hostile phantom) can give you massive amounts of souls when they damage you. The game detects you gaining souls way faster than you normally should, and assumes you're cheating.

Watch this guy's soul counter:
https://i.imgur.com/py0bp1f.gifv

Murk

Arcane
How does the password thing work? Doesn't that ease up the level range restriction?

Kutulu

Arcane
Patron
PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy Insert Title Here RPG Wokedex
Password restricts coop to players that have it, you can summon anyone but their lvl gets gimped.
So their HP will be low etc. You still get invaded by anyone.

Murk

Arcane
No, I mean can like an SL 100 summon an SL 50 with password using red sign? Or is the margin for SL-matching still the same?

Kutulu

Arcane
Patron
Yes you can summon anyone... a lvl1 can summon a lvl 120, but the lvl 120 will be so gimped that hes barely more help than someone your level.

I.e. do early dancer with lvl20 you have 1k HP embered your lvl 120 friend will have less HP than you.

Beggar

Cipher
How would you rate this game from 1 to 10?

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom