Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

GDC talk Tarn Adams (Dwarf fortress guy) explaining myth creation in DF (WIP feature)

Berekän

A life wasted
Patron
A bit disappointing, a very shallow talk. He mostly just demos the stuff and shows a bit of the versatility of the modular text files but he doesn't really explain anything of note.

titus

Arcane
Patron
A bit disappointing, a very shallow talk. He mostly just demos the stuff and shows a bit of the versatility of the modular text files but he doesn't really explain anything of note.
It's procedural, after all. The Q and A was interesting though. The idea that a fragment can become land and all the magic would only happen there, or that prices are determined by the rarity of something.

Perkel

Arcane
a bit of the versatility of the modular text files

that is understatement. Yeah talk is a bit shallow but "modular text files" is actually something that will have effect on game. Already in game you can meet "gods" but there isn't really way to find them or know about them before hand. Here you will be able to get gist of mythos and choose to hunt down one god if you think he isn't fake.

Cassidy

Arcane
A project long past its prime. Right now the development progress of DF is nothing but an autistic Ouroboros. The author's inability of analyzing his own work as a greater picture leading to a development process that is self-defeating and perpetuating in stagnation for the rest of his life.

Berekän

A life wasted
Patron
a bit of the versatility of the modular text files

that is understatement. Yeah talk is a bit shallow but "modular text files" is actually something that will have effect on game. Already in game you can meet "gods" but there isn't really way to find them or know about them before hand. Here you will be able to get gist of mythos and choose to hunt down one god if you think he isn't fake.

But that versatility has been on the game for a long time, all this time creatures, world generation and more things have been easily moddable and tweakable. He could've talked a bit more of how it interconnects with other systems or within itself instead of just showing the results of a random generator.

Self-Ejected

Ulminati

Kamelåså!
Patron
A project long past its prime. Right now the development progress of DF is nothing but an autistic Ouroboros. The author's inability of analyzing his own work as a greater picture leading to a development process that is self-defeating and perpetuating in stagnation for the rest of his life.

Pretty much. I hope he's still having fun with it though and that there will continue to be people who send him money. DF has been good to many people, and if there is any kind of justice in the world, it will earn enough donations to pay for the retirement and hobby of one guy with a modest lifestyle

Jimmious

Arcane
Patron
Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
I actually always hoped that some company would throw money at him to create a DF2 or something with an actual playable UI and some graphics and stuff.

DF was always something I admired from afar and never managed to play more than like 30 min due to being lost in the chaos of the options, buttons and ASCII

titus

Arcane
Patron
I actually always hoped that some company would throw money at him to create a DF2 or something with an actual playable UI and some graphics and stuff.

DF was always something I admired from afar and never managed to play more than like 30 min due to being lost in the chaos of the options, buttons and ASCII
The interface is not hard to use, you just have to learn a few buttons. Get a tilepack.

Perkel

Arcane

Go for lazy newb pack. It comes prepacked with grahics packs. But for controls you need to learn it. It doesn't take a lot of time.

Jimmious

Arcane
Patron
Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.

Go for lazy newb pack. It comes prepacked with grahics packs. But for controls you need to learn it. It doesn't take a lot of time.
Lazy newb pack sounds about right.
I'll give it a go the next time I have time and some mental calmness (to destroy :P)

Perkel

Arcane

Lazy newb pack sounds about right.
I'll give it a go the next time I have time and some mental calmness (to destroy :P)

Just go and don't think. Open wiki and get good 1-2 hours to learn stuff.

here is good totorial for newbs:

Konjad

Patron
Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Codex+ Now Streaming! Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
DF doesn't take that long to learn basics. One or two evenings and then you are good to go on your own. It just looks very convoluted at the beginning, but it isn't really that hard. In my opinion, Kerbal Space Program is more difficult than DF.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom