Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

KickStarter Shroud of the Avatar - Lord British's Not-Ultima Online 2

Aildrik

Savant
Hey, if SoTA allows players to literally build their own towns and communities, it will already be leaps and bounds ahead of what is available in most "modern" MMOs. Players have been asking for housing in WoW forever and what did we get? Garrisons! :( :( :(

Aenra

... so what you are saying in righteous tone is that you like this direction and I don't, therefore I am a retard that should be quiet.

Thought you better than that; either (yet again, second time in a row) you did not read, or you did just fine, but refuse to admit you grasped on peanuts to reach a conclusion. If you fine with that, i'm too baby. For the record however, i did say i also hate the direction, pages and pages back. My problem is with spastics and their baseless opinions, on issues they have neither understanding nor empirical knowledge of. You made sure you just included yourself in said category. Of spastics.
At least GarfunkeL did it better, he refrained from providing any clues as to how retarded he is. He posted a meme as a depiction of his mental acumen (wordz and shit like, hard, innit) and fucked off :)

Last edited by a moderator:

Doctor Sbaitso

SO, TELL ME ABOUT YOUR PROBLEMS.
Patron
Codex 2013 Codex 2014 PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Grab the Codex by the pussy Serpent in the Staglands
Eating shit is not necessary to conclude the experience would be unpleasant. Dismissing the opinion as not empirical or baseless is irrational.

Your insistence that my opinion on this shitty disappointment of a game makes me a spastic or retarded says exactly nothing about me but it says a whole lot about you.

Enjoy your micro transaction/real estate investment game but don't call disappointed Ultima fans retarded ffs.

Metro

Arcane
Beg Auditor
Is this scam anywhere near finished? It's basically Star Citizen but with houses instead of ships.

Saduj

Arcane
Is there still going to be content that can be played completely offline? If so, is it any good?

Unwanted

Musaab

Unwanted
I ended up selling my pledge and all my add-ons. I even made a little money. I'll end up just playing the single player probably.

grimace

Arcane
The first chapter of the first prequel (planned trilogy) leading up to the Forsaken Virtues story has been made available to read.

From authors Tracy Hickman and Richard Garriott comesThe Sword of Midras, the first installment in a thrilling new prequel series toShroud of the Avatar—available June 21st from Tor Books!

http://www.tor.com/2016/05/20/excerpts-the-sword-of-midras-hickman-garriott/

And here's some updated armour images.

Male cloth armour

Shroud_Epic-Cloth-screenshot.jpg

Male Epic Plate Armor Revamp

epicplate1.jpg

https://sketchfab.com/models/06cfdd0bce444ca78b5e9c3ea5aa0379

Caim

Arcane
Wait, Tracy "Dragonlance" Hickman is working with Lord British on a novel?

If this news had come out back at the height of Dragonlance and Ultima people woud've shat themselves.

Jaesun

Fabulous Ex-Moderator
Patron
MCA
There will be a Final Wipe in July, and supposedly Chapter 1 will be released in December. (Just some info from his Twitter a few moments ago).

Aenra

Sometimes i am surprised.. i know most of you are idiots, but i occasionally fool me into thinking of you as RPG/Gaming-knowledgeable idiots. You strive hard to show me otherwise :)

It was advertised, hell, it was pitched as exactly that Metro. Episodic. From the start.
They fucked people over with their mainstream approach, with their aggressive store policy, with their dilluted, joyless combat; and last but not least, with their failure of providing a clear direction in regard to PvE vs PvP content. The fact that you all complain about anything other than its real issues is rather telling isn't it?

Metro

Arcane
Beg Auditor
I'm smart enough never to have touched this abortion with a ten foot pole so not sure what you're talking about.

Severian Silk

Graphics look nice. Too bad they wasted all the assets on an MMO.

When I think of Ultima's DNA, I certainly think of microtransactions and player-financed real estate. That was in Quest of the Avatar.

Yeah, not sure what to make of all that. In many ways I don't give a crap if that stuff is there for players with way too much disposable income, if it is mainly cosmetic and for RP nuts. Depends on what the functionality. I know in UO, you pretty much *had* to have housing or you rapidly ran out of space to carry extra armor, items or do much in the way of tradeskills.

That said, working together with a friend to cobble together enough $$ for our first two story house was an awesome endeavor. Running your own merchant stores was a great way to earn $$. Can you still buy deeds with ingame currency or has that all been shunted over to RL money purchases?
It looks to me they don't want subscriptions in the game so they're trying to inrease the amount they get from their shop. The other thing is they witnessed--16+ years ago--the RL transactions over property in UO. They're exploiting that now for business purposes. Idk whether it'll work for them or not. They look committed, but even losers can look committed. The real story hasn't ben todl yet. It'll be told years after official launched. Things will happen they didn't anticipate.

Frankly my opinion hasn't changed. When I look for an MMO or game, I don't look for bigtime names or companies. I look for small people and small companies. Maybe it's prejiduce, but I beoieve bigger names and bigger companies simply won't touch truly innovative or niche things. That's precisely what makes them uninteresting to me. And this is why I think Shroud of the Avatar will ultimatley fail to keep my attention. Market forces are too strong.

Be that as it may, when Garriot was famous the computer game industry wasn't as large as it's now. A game now isn't successful unless it has tens of millions of players. The emergence of games which play on consoles AND PC's is a big reason for this, not just growth of PC players. This has resulted in games being watered down. The question is whether Garriot wants to make a game for housands or tens of thousands of players, or has moved on and expects millions. And I also put into question whether he's too old. I don't trust old people as much. Seems like they get dumbed down. And also old people didn't grow up with portables and "apps". The young generation has different expectations about the games they play.

EDIT: I played UO in 1999. Is why I'm posting at all. UO introduced me to sandbox MMO's. But sandbox MMO's had existed for a while, many of them were MUDs. I played MUDs after I played UO. I still like MUDs.

Last edited:

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom