Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

People News Leonard Boyarsky has joined Obsidian Entertainment

From Reddit:

And then almost immediately afterward Josh Sawyer tweets out a picture of Louisiana Field Notes with a line about the team needing research materials for their next game.

You know, because Pillars of Eternity 2 and that World of Tanks knock off need in depth research material on Louisiana. The same Louisiana that holds a city called New Orleans. The same New Orleans that Josh Sawyer said would make a pretty cool Fallout location

Of course nobody at Obsidian is going to say a damn word about their Fallout game, because they're going to wait for Bethesda to give the OK. The OK will likely come shortly after they've released the last DLC add-on for Fallout 4, so late 2016/early 2017 is when you're likely going to hear about Obsidians' new Fallout game

Then again, someone mentioned that Louisiana works ad a vampire setting as well.

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
Codex Year of the Donut Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
Reddit guy must not know about Obsidian's project naming convention. Sawyer already explicitly said that wasn't Fallout.

ZagorTeNej

Arcane
You don't actually want this. I know he doesn't.

IIRC he recently told Wesp that he'd love to work on a Bloodlines sequel/another WoD game, not sure about coming back to Obsidian obviously given how they parted.

Edit: here's the link (it's from February this year):

https://forums.planetvampire.com/index.php?topic=6840.135

Weird! As I wrote in the other thread, I had email contact with Brian Mitsoda about some more stuff that might have been lost and asked him about a Bloodlines sequel. He would pretty much want to do this, but as far as he knows WW/Paradox has not started anything yet. He asks us to write to them that we want him as a writer :)!

Last edited:

Trashos

Arcane
I would expect that Bethesda would want the next Fallout to be in a new engine. This line of logic rules Obsidian out.

Then again, sometimes short-term financial goals overcome such petty matters.

Trashos

Arcane
I would expect that Bethesda would want the next Fallout to be in a new engine.
You must have never played a Bethesda game - ever.

True! But I saw the mainstream reviewers complaining about the re-use of the same ol' fucking engine for Fallout 4. So I can only imagine what is going to happen if they use it again next time.

DeepOcean

Arcane
I would expect that Bethesda would want the next Fallout to be in a new engine. This line of logic rules Obsidian out.
Wot? Bethesda new engines are like "Meet the new engine, same as old engine, totally not Gamebryo."

oldmanpaco

Master of Siestas
I would expect that Bethesda would want the next Fallout to be in a new engine.
You must have never played a Bethesda game - ever.

True! But I saw the mainstream reviewers complaining about the re-use of the same ol' fucking engine for Fallout 4. So I can only imagine what is going to happen if they use it again next time.

The question is really would Bethesda make Obsidian use the same shitty no skill/attribute system that was used in FO4? Of course the answer is yes.

But have to pay the bills somehow.

Lhynn

Arcane
ITT people deluding themselves into thinking bethesda is giving obsidian another chance to make them look bad by comparison.

Roguey

Codex Staff
Staff Member
Sawyerite
The question is really would Bethesda make Obsidian use the same shitty no skill/attribute system that was used in FO4? Of course the answer is yes.

It's not really a question of make, more like what they can do in a given period of time. Radical changes to the UI were out of New Vegas's scope, but Josh said that Bethesda really didn't care about any of the changes to the system he made. It doesn't affect what they do and they trusted his instincts.

Metro

Arcane
Beg Auditor
Does Bethesda even care? Hell, half the people buying it would probably think Bethesda made it anyway. And considering Obsidian only got a flat fee for their work versus a percentage of the profits Bethesda stands to make a bajillion dollars without lifting a finger outside of some shitty and incomplete QA work. Bethesda is too lazy/inefficient to produce a FO4 spinoff in any reasonably amount of time -- makes far more sense to outsource it and rake in the cash.

IHaveHugeNick

Arcane
They're never giving Obsidian another shot at Fallout. Ever. Not after F:NV reviewed better and had superior fan reception.

ikarinokami

Augur
many of you have lost your minds. the only thing Tim Cain should be working on, is the Pathfinder based spiritual successor to TOEE, anything else is Michelangelo painting a local McDonalds.

DosBuster

Arcane
Patron
The Real Fanboy
Codex USB, 2014
I doubt Zenimax gives a fuck if Fallout New Vegas is considered better than BGS's offerings because at the end of the day both products will still sell a shit ton.

Zed Duke of Banville

Dungeon Master
Patron
Although Bethesda has used the game engine they created for Morrowind in six games total (counting F:NV), they've been claiming that Skyrim used the new "creation" engine. Thus, they have another two games to go with the "creation" engine (perhaps F:NNO & TES VI) before they again change the name of the engine and pretend it's a new one.

I'm trying to unearth what this is supposed to mean and the multitute of brofists and makes me even more desperate.
MCA leaves Obsidian after being with them since its founding, and a short while later Boyarsky leaves Blizzard to join Obsidian. Some people thrive on speculation about the personal squabbles of developers.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom