Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

KickStarter Knights of the Chalice 2 Thread - Augury of Chaos

V_K

Arcane
$40,000:
51ee398fb93a15f7fabfa41496a15080_original.png

Hundreds of thousands:
oAdiD.png

shitposter.png
indeed
Or even this ($13k):
20140809131752_6a7b7c2e.png

felipepepe

Codex's Heretic
Patron
Not to mention that he could hire the artist on a % of the earnings.

He did KoTC 1, he has an decent estimate on how much he'll sell. Promise 10-20% of that and it becomes a very attractive proposition, especially for young artists who just started or want to break into gaming.

Hobo Elf

Arcane
Paper Sorcerer is a rare case of the developer doing absolutely everything himself though. He did all the design, programming, music and art himself. Not everyone is a multi talent, or even competent in artistic fields.

Unwanted

Jaklon

Unwanted
Shitposter
A sidescroller is very cheap to make epsecially that particular halfassed piece of shit. Making a bunch of sprites for a lot of monsters doesn't really compare.

And it's total garbage. The same issues as above apply as well. A couple 2d backgrounds is easy to make. The GUI here is not even graphical at all for that matter I mean holy shit just how fucking stupid are you? :lol:

Stupid enough to argue with someone who actually makes software and games, but you have taken it beyond absurdity at this point.

$40,000:

Hundreds of thousands:
oAdiD.png

shitposter.png
indeed

Factually speaking, we know how much money it cost to make. 35 fucking man years to make that game, and 12 man years worth of art. It cost hundreds of thousands even then.

You're just too fucking stupid to realize that what's in the picture below represents about ten times more effort and skill than what's in the picture above.

As for shitposter, being a fedora tard sociologist who thinks he's a scientist or a literal shit eating faggot gets you made into a mod on this board, if you are liked by such a group of cretins then you are probably a degenerate loser yourself.

Mastermind

Cognito Elite Material
Patron
Bethestard
Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
goldbox graphics are utter shit, i could do better sprites and I'm no artist. only a retard would think they would cost millions of dollars.

janior

Arcane
Vatnik
goldbox graphics are utter shit, i could do better sprites and I'm no artist. only a retard would think they would cost millions of dollars.
Still better then some blurry shit we have these days.
Goldbox graphics are better witch each newer title btw.

Mastermind

Cognito Elite Material
Patron
Bethestard
I'm going by Roguey's screenshot. You could draw up one of those sprites in 10-15 minutes. Pierre wouldn't even need to pay a single cent, he could just do it himself and it would still end up being only a small fraction of the time it takes to code the thing.

Unwanted

Jaklon

Unwanted
Shitposter

Only a retard would make such a comment. 8 bit art that looks good is hard. Sprites are a big time consuming pain in the ass.

You, my friend, are a fucking idiot talking about a subject you know nothing about.

janior

Arcane
Vatnik
I really doubt that hiring an artist for the game in the 80's was standard by any means although i'm pretty sure SSI had one while creating PoR.

Unwanted

Jaklon

Unwanted
Shitposter
I really doubt that hiring an artist for the game in the 80's was standard by any means although i'm pretty sure SSI had one while creating PoR.

Wow are you fucking stupid. The artists made much more than the programmers back then.

Unwanted

Jaklon

Unwanted
Shitposter
waluigino.png

Maybe some of the dumbfucks here can understand a little now. That one guy you see is actually like 100 guys. Now multiply this by all the color variations, add in weapons and do the same thing for every single monster. AND make it look good in 8 bit. That's why it took 12 fucking artists to make the first gold box game.

Then you have to have each image actually look like an animation which that 40k game didn't even bother to do.

Mastermind

Cognito Elite Material
Patron
Bethestard

Only a retard would make such a comment. 8 bit art that looks good is hard. Sprites are a big time consuming pain in the ass.

You, my friend, are a fucking idiot talking about a subject you know nothing about.

I've been making abandonware since your whore mother shat you out in a gas station bathroom, don't even talk to me about what I do and don't know.

Zdzisiu

Arcane
There are people who do good tiles for free roguelikes completly for free. An example would be the tileset for Dungeon Crawl Stone Soup. Or some tilesets for Cataclism DDA, or the one TOME 4 got some time ago (Later the creator decided to share some of the income with the tileset creator).

Or maybe the tiles of the free Battle for Wesnoth game. Shits even animated to a degree.

And those are only from the roguelikes I played a lot. Any of the artists would jump on the opportunity to make tiles for a few thousands dollars.

And any of the tiles would be better than what KOTC2 has right now.

felipepepe

Codex's Heretic
Patron
Maybe some of the dumbfucks here can understand a little now. That one guy you see is actually like 100 guys. Now multiply this by all the color variations, add in weapons and do the same thing for every single monster. AND make it look good in 8 bit. That's why it took 12 fucking artists to make the first gold box game.
For all your "expert talk", seems like you never even played a Gold Box game... they have precisely TWO sprites each - standing and attacking.

This is a fan-made sprite sheet for a module, the designer did it in a couple of hours:

font_sprites.jpg

Because unlike the Gold Box devs in the mid 80's, we have a template, plus Photoshop, Paint, Tablets, Mouse, etc...

Last edited:

Mastermind

Cognito Elite Material
Patron
Bethestard
lnAcbj1.png

Literally took me 5 minutes to make. 3 sprites/char is all pierre would need and those of us who had no problem with kotc's shittyass graphics would lap it up.

Mortmal

Arcane
Underworld is a great example, because he used absolutely horrid stock art at first:

3896.jpg

Then we went into this very same debate and he ended up hiring a Chinese guy who did some great stuff. And I don't think he had a budget of MILLIONS for that.

Anyway, still think Pierre intends to make that art easily moddable, so who cares. I'll do a mod myself replacing all that art if the game's any good.

Yes thats exactly why i quote this one, it went from horrible to super good classic feel. I doubt the same thing will hpapen here, pierre does not react very well to criticism, almost sure it will only get a forum ban .

Unwanted

Jaklon

Unwanted
Shitposter
For all your "expert talk", seems like you never even played a Gold Box game... they have precisely TWO sprites each - standing and attacking.

This is a fan-made sprite sheet for a module, the designer did it in a couple of hours:

font_sprites.jpg

Because unlike the Gold Box devs in the mid 80's, we have a template, plus Photoshop, Paint, Tablets, Mouse, etc...

That's a monster sprite not a player one which is much more complicated. And it looks like dogshit and shows obvious signs of being copypasted you fucking retard. Making art = copy and paste other people's art LOL

And even if you make a game like goldbox, most people won't play it.

kotc didn't even have different sprites for different weapons. Yet apparently it still took him too much time to make the art. I'd be interested to hear how long that took him (or how long it took to make whoever made it). Still looks better than all the shit people are posting which is supposed to be cheap but good (but still cost more than the game even took in).

Unwanted

Jaklon

Unwanted
Shitposter
Ok, here is the reality. I can draw something better in a couple hours. I mean from scratch, not this bullshit. Then I scan it in the computer and color it. Then animation comes. This is the hard part. You spend a serious amount of time fucking around to make animations look right. Then if anything is wrong or style just doesn't fit well you have to change each image.

For a good font you spend more like a week. Again, obviously you can easily steal someone else's you fucking imbecile. LOL

ArchAngel

Arcane
You guys are wasting so much time here. Instead you could have made art for Pierre and talked to him about him using that instead of POGs.

Thonius

Arcane
Have not played first one because of weird angles. Wont play this because of shitty UI and shitty tokens. At the same time I'm quite enjoying Battle Brothers, because they actually put some efforts in graphic style.

Unwanted

Jaklon

Unwanted
Shitposter
Have not played first one because of weird angles. Wont play this because of shitty UI and shitty tokens. At the same time I'm quite enjoying Battle Brothers, because they actually put some efforts in graphic style.

Pretty much sums it up sadly.

Unwanted

Jaklon

Unwanted
Shitposter
You guys are wasting so much time here. Instead you could have made art for Pierre and talked to him about him using that instead of POGs.

Yeah it only takes 5 minutes to make the art for a game. You can just copy it from someone else's game R00fles!

But yeah, doing something or donating money could solve the problem. Nope, they will instead tell him to spend 5 mores years on it himself.

Unwanted

Jaklon

Unwanted
Shitposter
Can't have that though, instead we will have games about diversity and transexual dating simulators.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom