Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Nosgoth - F2P multiplayer Legacy of Kain spinoff - CANCELLED

Rahdulan

Omnibus
Patron
Also, I recommend reading the "lore" entries if you want some cheap laughs

http://forums.eu.square-enix.com/showthread.php?t=7221

DraQ :troll:

I remember all the butthurt developers displayed when people started questioning their lore after Nosgoth got announced. It kinda came into perspective after learning it was essentially a leftover from a cancelled Legacy of Kain game titled Dead Sun. If those are actual lore snippets and quality of what they would've built the game on then I'm kinda glad it got cancelled when it did, as much as I would kill for a proper LoK sequel.

So I started playing this, fun so far. Might the first F2P game I'll end up liking. Any fags that wanna team up? Feel free to add me on steam.

Jaedar

Arcane
Patron
Project: Eternity Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Pathfinder: Kingmaker
It seems the latest patch kinda fucked up spawns. It gets a bit tiring to see the enemy respawn immediately into the fight every 15 seconds.

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
Codex Year of the Donut Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
:hero: http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/2016-04-08-legacy-of-kain-spin-off-nosgoth-cancelled

Legacy of Kain spin-off Nosgoth cancelled

Nosgoth, the competitive multiplayer Legacy of Kain spin-off, has been cancelled.

Publisher Square Enix said the free-to-download human versus vampire game would not make it to full release having spent over a year in Early Access on Steam.

"This was not an easy decision to come to," reads a statement posted to the Square Enix forum. "It has been a pleasure to build this game with your help, but ultimately its audience hasn't grown enough to sustain ongoing operations."

The servers go offline on 31st May 2016. Up to that point you can play as normal. However, players can no longer make real world purchases in the game. Any money spent since 1st March will be refunded, Square Enix added.

While Nosgoth failed to secure a sizeable audience, the news of its cancellation comes as some surprise given developer Psyonix (of Rocket League fame) and Square Enix had only last month signalled to me a launch proper was near.

What does this mean for the Legacy of Kain franchise?

"Any future Legacy of Kain project will be considered independently of Nosgoth and on the merits of the proposals alone," Square Enix said. Make of that what you will.

Nosgoth began life as the multiplayer component of Legacy of Kain: Dead Sun, which was in development at UK studio Climax before Square Enix cancelled it in back in 2012.

Will we ever see a new fully-fledged Legacy of Kain game? The prospect perhaps seems as unlikely now as it ever did.

Rahdulan

Omnibus
Patron
Not that I object to Legacy of Kain finally being safe, but this is such a puzzling PR move. Couldn't they release the game and quietly phase out any future support as opposed to bombastic IT'S NEVER GETTING OUT OF EARLY ACCESS announcement?

Gerrard

Arcane
Teaching people that buying early access games is dumb.

I applaud SE for this decision.

GreyViper

Prophet
I guess someone has to say this: "And nothing was lost." Also Vae Victis.
I am bit miffed there is no remake or HD version of the first Blood Omen, the voice acting there is legendary.

Self-Ejected

Ludo Lense

Self-Ejected
Hopefully this means the franchise is dead and buried.

It was a product of its time and some very strong happenstance thus I don't think it can be properly recreated. Half of the franchise's appeal was intricate and subtle lore which modern devs are most of the time pitifully incompetent at while the other half was the remarkably well done voice acting. Bell and Templeton played off each other incredibly well and Tony Jay is Tony Jay.

Also this franchise got a damn ending that was, for the most part, satisfying. How many long running video game franchises get a proper send off (looking at you MGS...)

Zeriel

Arcane

It was a product of its time and some very strong happenstance thus I don't think it can be properly recreated. Half of the franchise's appeal was intricate and subtle lore which modern devs are most of the time pitifully incompetent at while the other half was the remarkably well done voice acting. Bell and Templeton played off each other incredibly well and Tony Jay is Tony Jay.

Also this franchise got a damn ending that was, for the most part, satisfying. How many long running video game franchises get a proper send off (looking at you MGS...)

Not sure what you mean by that, Defiance was a partial cliffhanger.

Also I prefer Blood Omen's style of writing/plotting a lot more. The Soul Reaver line relied on gimmicky plot twists way too often, without ever having a satisfying arc that closed. It was carried by the great voice acting, but in retrospect it got pretty fucking muddy after SR 1.

Athelas

Arcane

It was a product of its time and some very strong happenstance thus I don't think it can be properly recreated. Half of the franchise's appeal was intricate and subtle lore which modern devs are most of the time pitifully incompetent at
I might have agreed if you were talking about Blood Omen 1 (and to a lesser extent, Soul Reaver 1).

After that however, the series' mythology pretty much devolved into a Jenga tower of convoluted retcons and nonsensical time travel shenanigans. They even took some random healing item from the first game and retconned it into some sort of powerful Macguffin that the principal characters/factions had been fighting over for the entire tineline of the games. Not really different from any modern long-running video game franchise.

Last edited:
Self-Ejected

Ludo Lense

Self-Ejected

It was a product of its time and some very strong happenstance thus I don't think it can be properly recreated. Half of the franchise's appeal was intricate and subtle lore which modern devs are most of the time pitifully incompetent at
I might have agreed if you were talking about Blood Omen 1 (and to a lesser extent, Soul Reaver 1).

After that however, the series' mythology pretty much devolved into a Jenga tower of convoluted retcons and nonsensical time travel shenanigans. They even took some random healing item from the first game and retconned it into some sort of powerful Macguffin that the principal characters/factions had been fighting over for the entire tineline of the games. Not really different from any modern long-running video game franchise.

I do agree that taking the story element by element makes it quite silly. In fact the series pretty much devolved into "watch Kain and Raziel banter in ye olde english" but I don't think it was that bad or at the very least lets just say it was representative of its time.

That being said
With the exception of "how the Hylden get defeated" subplot which is left sort of unresolved (I say sort of because technically in omen 2 they get destroyed but then that gets retconned. Hurray for time travel), I think the game's core story ends. I mean Raziel and Kain have their big fight which is like the crux of the series and Raziel has his moment and bows out. Its not perfect but I was emotionally satisfied enough that I could say "I am okay with it ending here".

Last edited:

Bester

⚰️☠️⚱️
Patron
Vatnik
I wish they'd elaborate on what they think went wrong. Or someone else did.

I kinda liked it. How do you fuck up this big? You've got a completely finished game, a very comfortable player controller, interesting theme, nice assets. What happened?

Darth Roxor

Royal Dongsmith
Staff Member
i havent played it since my last post in this thrad which was more than a year ago

PrettyDeadman

Game is still playable btw. On private servers.
Anyone interested?
2E5CC83116E2AA50F01081E0611B465C1393B697

Last edited by a moderator:

Zeriel

Arcane
I wish they'd elaborate on what they think went wrong. Or someone else did.

I kinda liked it. How do you fuck up this big? You've got a completely finished game, a very comfortable player controller, interesting theme, nice assets. What happened?

I read a lot of threads about Dark Sun when it was leaked and talked about, I think the gist of it was the usual "execs had no faith in singleplayer games to make money in CURRENT YEAR", which is supported by the fact they tried to spin it off into a shitty arena shooter.

If you want more recent examples of that, look to EA and their almost total refusal to give Star Wars fans what they want (i.e, singleplayer experiences).

Bester

⚰️☠️⚱️
Patron
Vatnik
Dark Sun?

Dark Sun: Shattered Lands? What are you talking about?

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom