Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Crispy™ WoW Rebirth: a vanilla private server

Ninjerk

Arcane
That question :lol:

And yes, AoE farming with bard on P99 is p. gud.

Xor

Arcane
Codex 2014 PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Divinity: Original Sin Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Divinity: Original Sin 2
Wow, I just got burnt out enough with MC last week that I quit, and then this happens.

Metro

Arcane
Beg Auditor
It's groundbreaking because this is first time that a EU server was targeted and first time that a server which accepted no donations and had no cash shop was targeted. Previously only US servers making money have been shut down by Blizz lawyers. This means that every private server in Europe is in danger.
I was under the impression that the EU servers were pretty well sheltered from this sort of thing.
It's a matter of whether the companies hosting the servers want to bother fending off a legal attack by Blizzard in court. Nostralius was shut down with a simple demand letter from Blizz-attorneys. Financially it's not worth it to them (OVH, the server hosts) because it's not as if their profit hinges on how people use their servers. So if you have a client that's going to attract legal troubles, just ditch them.

We'll probably never really know how the law comes down across various countries on this because no one running a private server would be able to afford to amount a defense. You would need a private server setup where the people running it actually owned the hosting servers and were then willing to shell out tens of thousands of dollars in legal fees to muster a reasonable defense against Blizzard's bottomless pockets and army of attorneys from the top law firms in the world.

Last edited:

Wilian

Arcane
Patron
Divinity: Original Sin
Only third time for Nostralius now.

Feeling pretty smug, almoust like digging up warning message from year back that it'll be happening again.

6OTozzo.png

Ninjerk

Arcane
You're Rebirth fag, no? I can't remember which fag I was anymore.

Zetor

Arcane
Man, this sucks. It's kinda telling that even Origin/EA didn't go after player-run Ultima Online shards and emulators in the late 90s/early 00s -- I'm p sure that the shard I used to GM 15 years ago is still alive and kicking. It's almost like Blizzard/Activision are scared of these things...

BTW, the Blizz lawyers screwed the timing. They should've sent the c/d letter a week earlier and demanded it to be published on Apr 1. The troll/meltdown-fest could have been epic!

Mustawd

Literally every time I went on rebirth it was completely empty. That shit is no fun.

shihonage

Subscribe to my OnlyFans
Patron
Bubbles In Memoria
I tried to connect to the previous huge server, Emerald Dream, but it's not even listed in the WoW-Feenix server list anymore. WTF.

Ninjerk

Arcane
I tried to connect to the previous huge server, Emerald Dream, but it's not even listed in the WoW-Feenix server list anymore. WTF.
There was some drama queening within Feenix awhile back that IIRC killed their population. In other news, this god damned touchapd is fucking PISSING ME OFF

hivemind

i don't even know anymore

blizzard are by far the biggest cunt company in videogames

like I can get turning your own games into shit in hopes of cashing on retarded casuals but actually stopping community projects out of spite or butthurt or something else(because I can't imagine this would be a for profit motive unless they are planning to release their own legacy servers) is just next level cuntishness

Metro

Arcane
Beg Auditor
It's disgraceful considering how much cash they pull in with low overhead games such as Hearthstone and HoTS (and soon Overwatch). I doubt we will see legacy servers from them anytime soon. At least not until WoW subs dip below a million. Then it'll happen as they start laying off staff.

Rahdulan

Omnibus
Patron
And yes, AoE farming with bard on P99 is p. gud.

Doesn't SoE, or should I say Daybreak now, fully acknowledge P99? I mean, it's not stuck in "will they get us tomorrow?" limbo and aren't just counting on the fact that no one cares about them like pretty much all other private servers out there? It would probably help Blizzard to be less anal about this shit because they can't seem to get any good PR these days as it is.

Ninjerk

Arcane
IDK man, I don't play any of them. I have enough ways to waste time as is.

dibens

as seen on shoutbox
Patron
Oh, come the fuck on. I just farmed enough gold for my first mount.

GarfunkeL

Racism Expert
So what happened was that Blizzard hired a French lawyer who made the case against OVH and threatened to sue them unless they hand over the information of the Nost admins. OVH complied because what do they care about a single customer? So then the lawyer got the personal details of Daemon and Viper and basically said that if you don't shut down the server, we're personally suing the both of you for copyright infringement and trademark violation. It's not about money, it's about protecting their trademark. Meanwhile, almost 20k signatures here:
https://www.change.org/p/michael-morhaime-legacy-server-among-world-of-warcraft-community
Not that it will do any good because Morhaime will wipe his ass with it but it shows the amount of support. Rabid anti-Nost folks were always claiming that our numbers were made up of bots and gold sellers - so I guess that finally proves them wrong.

Only third time for Nostralius now.

Feeling pretty smug, almoust like digging up warning message from year back that it'll be happening again.
You do realize that you're defending the server where the previous owner scammed all of you fucks, took the money and ran? What kind of asshole gets scammed, yet keeps playing on the shitty server in the hope that "it'll get better". None of the people on Nost I've talked to who used to play on Rebirth had anything good to say about it.

Fucking hell, I had almost 90 days played across all my characters.

Ellef

Deplorable
PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015
I remember rebirth, down nearly half the time for days that became weeks, low pop and those shady donation drives. Never got a chance to try nostalrius much but sad to see blizzard win, the cunts.

Ninjerk

Arcane
Maybe Nostalrius would still be around if they had been scamming you guys all along.

Aildrik

Savant
Well this sucks :( Never made it far in AQ40 during the Vanilla era; zoned into Naxx to kill trash .. lol. Would have been interesting to experience something close to what it was like back in the day although from what I have seen from solo AQ40 red mount/pet farming it had to be one of the most tedious raids ever.

Xor

Arcane
Codex 2014 PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Divinity: Original Sin Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Divinity: Original Sin 2
Rabid anti-Nost folks were always claiming that our numbers were made up of bots and gold sellers - so I guess that finally proves them wrong.
Yeah, but the people who believed that were retarded. Spending any time at all on Nost would show that the population was real. Even on the PVE which only had a fraction of the population of the PVP server every zone I visited while leveling had plenty of other people questing at the same time, except during the few hours of the night where it's too late for most americans and too early for most euros. Finding a group even as a DPS didn't take more than 20 minutes during peak hours.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom