Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Game News Baldur's Gate: Siege of Dragonspear Released

FeelTheRads

Arcane
I haven't seen that show, but it doesn't sound like "agenda pushing". That's when you stick some tokens in, like Beamdog did. If you don't have those characters solely defined by just one characteristic (sexuality, race or whatever) then you failed at pushing that agenda.

Jasede

Arcane
Patron
Insert Title Here RPG Wokedex Codex Year of the Donut I'm very into cock and ball torture
It's not about gay characters or not, it's about having them shoved down your throat by means of agenda. A lot of gays and trannies pretend like they're not represented. Bullshit. Game of Thrones has gay guys, trannies are on prime time TV and having a gay guy is a staple in most shows for ages and ages now. Gay guys don't need 'more' representation, especially not forced representation.

I'm gay. I like when I meet a gay character I can relate to. You know the key to that? Make him the same as every-fucking-one else. Don't make him stand out, don't make him special, don't shield him from bad things happening. Being gay should be incidental. A footnote. You shouldn't even be able to tell the character is gay unless you specifically push your way into it and go out of your way to get to that content. Everything else is retarded. No matter what televitz and SJW games might have you believe, most gay people aren't hugely flamboyant queer faggots that stick out like a sore thumb. Most people are guys you'd never be able to tell with.

(Not including me, obviously.)

Being gay shouldn't be anything of importance. It shouldn't define a character. It shouldn't even be the center of his fucking arc unless you can do it well, which 99.9% of writers cannot for lack of being both gay and a good writer at the same time.

/rant

The worst part is, this shit is patronizing and pandering. Gay guys don't need your shitty SJW pandering or 'help.' Fuck off and leave us alone. Do they not realize how condescending it is to assume that oh, us poor fags, we can't play a game unless it has hard gay dicksucking? Fuck off.

edit: corrected "shoes" to "shows" - fucking phone

Last edited:

Jasede

Arcane
Patron
Insert Title Here RPG Wokedex Codex Year of the Donut I'm very into cock and ball torture
doublepost because i only just now skimmed through the thread
a transgender cleric

Are you fucking shitting me?

veevoir

Klytus, I'm bored
Patron
Shadorwun: Hong Kong BattleTech
No matter what televitz and SJW games might have you believe, most gay people aren't hugely flamboyant queer faggots that stick out like a sore thumb. Most people are guys you'd never be able to tell with.

If you're not a "flamboyant queer faggots that stick out like a sore thumb" then codex need a new token gay guy, average doesn't cut it!

Tacgnol

Shitlord
Patron
Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Grab the Codex by the pussy RPG Wokedex Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath I helped put crap in Monomyth
Why would you even have transgender in Faerûn in the first place. They have belts and spells that can switch people's gender ffs.

ArchAngel

Arcane
It's not about gay characters or not, it's about having them shoved down your throat by means of agenda. A lot of gays and trannies pretend like they're not represented. Bullshit. Game of Thrones has gay guys, trannies are on prime time TV and having a gay guy is a staple in most shoes for ages and ages now. Gay guys don't need 'more' representation, especially not forced representation.

I'm gay. I like when I meet a gay character I can relate to. You know the key to that? Make him the same as every-fucking-one else. Don't make him stand out, don't make him special, don't shield him from bad things happening. Being gay should be incidental. A footnote. You shouldn't even be able to tell the character is gay unless you specifically push your way into it and go out of your way to get to that content. Everything else is retarded. No matter what televitz and SJW games might have you believe, most gay people aren't hugely flamboyant queer faggots that stick out like a sore thumb. Most people are guys you'd never be able to tell with.

Being gay shouldn't be anything of importance. It shouldn't define a character. It shouldn't even be the center of his fucking arc unless you can do it well, which 99.9% of writers cannot for lack of being both gay and a good writer at the same time.

/rant

The worst part is, this shit is patronizing and pandering. Gay guys don't need your shitty SJW pandering or 'help.' Fuck off and leave us alone. Do they not realize how condescending it is to assume that oh, us poor fags, we can't play a game unless it has hard gay dicksucking? Fuck off.
And one random NPC does nothing you described. You people have taken your pitchforks and torches over 5s content for 30 hour game. Come the fuck on. The game is not about SJWing, there are just 3 LGBT characters in the game and you can ignore them. I think less pitchforks and torches were raised over "Ride the Bull"-shit... at this point it just seems like 'Dex is looking to create drama where there is very little of it.

Jasede

Arcane
Patron
possibly_retarded.png

veevoir

Klytus, I'm bored
Patron
Shadorwun: Hong Kong BattleTech
Why would you even have transgender in Faerûn in the first place. They have belts and spells that can switch peoples genders ffs.

This fucking point.

It is a setting where everything pretty much goes. So who cares about sexual orientation/being trans in the first place?
But noo, hello my CHARNAME is TRANS and I am TRANS. I am also a cleric, but have you seen how TRANS I am? Sure you did, cause this is the only fucking thing that characterizes me as a person.

Hamfisted tokenism in it's full glory.

Mangoose

Arcane
Patron
Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity
I don't get why people are so up in arms over the Minsc easter egg (don't get me wrong, that stoner sequence is horribly written and not funny). I think Minsc would be the poster child character for SJWs. He's basically retarded, is all about rampaging against "evil" both real and imagined and hates Edwin to the point of going on a killing spree rage against him. The average Codex poster (and GG supporter) personality is more in line with Edwin than Minsc - though the rampage against evils both real and imagined fits both camps. Either way, it's a tiny bit of content that doesn't really affect anything.

It's like people don't even remember Baldur's Gate with characters like Pirate Newf. A newf is a stereotyped person from Newfoundland (and sometimes Maritimers more generally), if you weren't aware. It's a pretty Canadian reference that sticks out like a sore thumb in a fantasy game, nevermind all the other things that have already been mentioned like Bub Snikt, etc. and it didn't matter at all. The Baldur's Gate (and most D&D) experience isn't about delving into well written tomes of whatever, it's about taking your character(s) and killing a bunch of shit and finding shiny loot. I get tired of politics in games unless it's really well done too, but this particular shit storm strikes me as not being able to see the forest for the trees, especially since everything can be seen as being done with no ill intentions, just a light poke in trying to keep with the overall atmosphere of the original game.
So it seems Codex has at least one intelligent person left.
Interesting implication that you yourself are not intelligence.

Mangoose

Arcane
Patron
It's not about gay characters or not, it's about having them shoved down your throat by means of agenda. A lot of gays and trannies pretend like they're not represented. Bullshit. Game of Thrones has gay guys, trannies are on prime time TV and having a gay guy is a staple in most shoes for ages and ages now. Gay guys don't need 'more' representation, especially not forced representation.

/rant

And one random NPC does nothing you described. You people have taken your pitchforks and torches over 5s content for 30 hour game. Come the fuck on. The game is not about SJWing, there are just 3 LGBT characters in the game and you can ignore them. I think less pitchforks and torches were raised over "Ride the Bull"-shit... at this point it just seems like 'Dex is looking to create drama where there is very little of it.
No, I'm pretty sure the Codex already hates Beamdog for making shitty attempts at renovating/polishing/whatever gameplay (good attempts would be lauded). And the only real complaining about SJWing come from millennials, because they don't realize BG:EE already sucked in the first

Complaints besides that are not specific in context to Beamdog BG crap. It's in context to a lot of shows/games/media/whatever that's around

Mangoose

Arcane
Patron
Why would you even have transgender in Faerûn in the first place. They have belts and spells that can switch peoples genders ffs.

This fucking point.

It is a setting where everything pretty much goes. So who cares about sexual orientation/being trans in the first place?
But noo, hello my CHARNAME is TRANS and I am TRANS. I am also a cleric, but have you seen how TRANS I am? Sure you did, cause this is the only fucking thing that characterizes me as a person.

Hamfisted tokenism in it's full glory.
I remember I was on a NWN Persistent World, roleplaying-oriented, and I made a Drow that wore a helmet all the time. :smug:

Xenich

Cipher
No, I'm pretty sure the Codex already hates Beamdog for making shitty attempts at renovating/polishing/whatever gameplay (good attempts would be lauded). And the only real complaining about SJWing come from millennials, because they don't realize BG:EE already sucked in the first

Complaints besides that are not specific in context to Beamdog BG crap. It's in context to a lot of shows/games/media/whatever that's around

The SJWing is blatantly obvious and the statements by the developers/writers concerning this even promotes this. This is not unfair criticism, they deserve it completely. They pulll this kind of crap all the time in movies and TV and it is time they start getting taken to task for it.

Tacgnol

Shitlord
Patron
Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Grab the Codex by the pussy RPG Wokedex Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath I helped put crap in Monomyth
I've said this in the other thread, but I'll repeat it here.

It isn't just the presence of SJW shit, it's how blatant and badly written it is. If you want to include trans/otherkin/whatever characters, feel free, but at least make an attempt to write them well.

SOD just feels incredibly preachy. Put the preaching together with the generally bad writing, bugs and other issues and you have a disaster.

mastroego

Arcane
I haven't seen that show, but it doesn't sound like "agenda pushing". That's when you stick some tokens in, like Beamdog did. If you don't have those characters solely defined by just one characteristic (sexuality, race or whatever) then you failed at pushing that agenda.
Well, still as a fan, I believe they do "push" the agenda: you have 2 or 3 gays, the black guy, at some point even a tranny character was introduced.
BUT, it's done in such a way that you tend not to notice, and most importantly you don't care. The characters are engaging and all the actors perform well, ranging from "very good" to "impossibly good".
Also the theme of personal identity is relevant to the show (it's about human clones) so that mitigates any possible annoyances.

Lastly, the transsexual character, even though it was portrayed as believably as the rest (imho), was the one addition that felt somewhat out of place: the writers themselves apparently noticed it even before airing the episode, and basically "sidelined" the whole existence of the character with an episode ending that screamed to me like a last minute change.

What I mean is that intelligent writers, even if sympathetic to the "cause", realize what kind of issues they're dealing with with such stuff and handle it with a minimum of taste and competence.
Which isn't the case here, given that the writer simply admits that she will insert her token freaks everywhere, and as many as possible at that, without even a second thought about the setting of the story (which is beyond dumb).

Xenich

Cipher
I've said this in the other thread, but I'll repeat it here.

It isn't just the presence of SJW shit, it's how blatant and badly written it is. If you want to include trans/otherkin/whatever characters, feel free, but at least make an attempt to write them well.

SOD just feels incredibly preachy. Put the preaching together with the generally bad writing, bugs and other issues and you have a disaster.

That is the thing... The "need" to include them has no merit and is entirely a social engineering attempt by these political hacks to "educate" the masses. The whole SJW thing is done to death. The majority of entertainment nowadays has this political narrative put in and shoved down peoples throats. They aren't fooling anyone either. I think it was the head of Fox that admitted they put in such narratives to educate the masses on important issues, to desensitize them to given subjects and shape public opinion on a given topic. They are trying to brainwash the masses to their politics. The reason they don't focus all this into new content (ie their own games, lore, and systems) is because people wouldn't touch it with a 10 ft pole. So... they take previously successful content be it games, movies, books, TV shows and then use the "captive audience" approach to shove their shit down peoples throats. People have tolerated it reluctantly for years, only mumbling and grumbling when they see it, but people are getting tired of it and there is beginning to be a backlash. The devious attempts to force narratives on people is going to end up producing the opposite effect. In fact, it already has... just look how much hate for many activists there is out there because of their tactics.

Trashos

Arcane
Sorry I don't buy it. I've seen mods with much worse treatment of lore than one of hand comment by Minsc. Fucking Minsc too :lol: he could say he likes to put his hamster up his ass and no one would be offended.

The only difference between this and say the Imoen romance crap, or more party interjections or the dozens of other shit fan fiction mods is that Beamdog asks you to pay for it. Personally I'm pissed off because they randomly fucked around with the UI, made a new host of bugs and broke all the mods again (really how hard would it have been to just work with one modder, just one, so he could tell you what specific strings and ID's they shouldn't change, ALL that shit is documented).

It is a question of whether something is canon or not. Mods are not canon, I don't care much about them.

Minsc is not my favorite BG character, but still he has always been a comic relief for me. The "Camaraderie" quote (one of my favorite funny quotes ever), the "marching blindly on" quote. I didn't mind about the hamster in his ass at all. But now, instead of laughing and relaxing whenever I think about Minsc, I will be thinking about the fucking GG situation. Good job, Beamdog.

That's one reason why you have to respect the classics. They mean a lot to many people's lives. Beamdog obviously failed to understand this, so they deserve whatever hell they get.

Grotesque

±¼ ¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Patron
Vatnik
Divinity: Original Sin Divinity: Original Sin 2
There is a battle waging within my soul.

To play vanilla BG1 with TUTU (mod that makes BG1 to use the engine of BG2 with all the goodies involved) and the BG1 tutu_UI mod (BG1 UI style at higher resolution ) and also with 1PP mod (which brings a myriad of item, spell and character enhances and BG1 aesthetics)

OR

to play BG EE against my my better judgement and to continue with Siege of Dragonspear because I don't like to to start with a full party

first world problems....

Tacgnol

Shitlord
Patron
There is a battle waging within my soul.

To play vanilla BG1 with TUTU (mod that makes BG1 to use the engine of BG2 with all the goodies involved) and the BG1 tutu_UI mod (BG1 UI style at higher resolution ) and also with 1PP mod (which brings a myriad of item, spell and character enhances and BG1 aesthetics)

OR

to play BG EE against my my better judgement and to continue with Siege of Dragonspear because I don't like to to start with a full party

first world problems....

In all honesty, I'd play Tutu or BGT. The new UI changes they released with SOD are just not worth the trouble.

VioletShadow

Sensate
Patron
Codex 2013 Codex 2014 PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Shadorwun: Hong Kong
I can't even begin to describe how warm and fuzzy I feel inside seeing these Beamdog hacks crash and burn bad.
:timetoburn::mrpresident::yeah:

Wizfall

Cipher
At this point i'm ready to believe Beamdog is trolling everybody as they consider any kind of publicity good publicity.
Otherwise it's incredible how bad they are.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom