Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

New Total War game: Warhammer

Beowulf

Arcane
It's the Total War siege AI in action:
5qovhMl.jpg

But, in my brief (with Fall of the Eagles mod) 60-70h in Attila, it wasn't that bad. Vanilla Rome 2 is the worst offender, methinks.

Last edited:
The sieges in Attila can occasionally be fun, especially with a garrison increase mod, partially because some of the settlements are well designed. So I'm disappointed to see that they've dumbed down the settlements in Warhammer to a single stretch of linear wall with street layouts wide enough to rival a 20th century motorway. It looks like they just threw their hands up in defeat and decided not to even try anymore in regards the siege AI (or lack thereof). It's a shame because the rest of the game appears to be an Attila mod, and Attila is lot closer to Shogun 2 in terms of being a functional game than it is to Rome 2.

Inspectah

Savant
Med 2 would be great if cavalry wasn't so overpowered.
Still a very good game though

Med 2 had some of the clunkiest battles and sieges. Dunno what you guys are talking about, but med 2 sieges <<<<attila ones. Units would get stuck on the walls, siege towers took forever to unload, the pathfinding in the streets was HORRID, the worst in any game I've played. Units would get stuck on building and every siege would end in a last stand as the AI routed to the city centre.

Only way medieval 2 could be enjoyed was with mods and by never playing sieges. Even land battles were clunky but the mods made it nice at least.

kwanzabot

Cipher
Shitposter
Med 2 had some of the clunkiest battles and sieges. Dunno what you guys are talking about, but med 2 sieges <<<<attila ones. Units would get stuck on the walls, siege towers took forever to unload, the pathfinding in the streets was HORRID, the worst in any game I've played. Units would get stuck on building and every siege would end in a last stand as the AI routed to the city centre.

Only way medieval 2 could be enjoyed was with mods and by never playing sieges. Even land battles were clunky but the mods made it nice at least.

sounds like you're butthurt because you sucked at the game and got your ass kicked by the ai...

Raghar

Arcane
Vatnik
http://wiki.totalwar.com/w/Siege_Q_and_A

We've had a lot of questions from the community following our recent siege videos, and so we thought we'd take the time to answer some of them...

Ladder Deployment
We took the decision pretty early on to not include functionality and animations for troops carrying and deploying ladders.
There are certain considerations about the large number and combination of animation states between all the different unit types, that could be better used elsewhere, but the main reason was for gameplay improvements.
Essentially, we found it pretty questionable gameplay-wise in having units carrying ladders to the wall, it’s clumsy when you are trying to co-ordinate your attack, managing the picking up and putting down of ladders while you are marshalling your forces forward and reacting to the defenders’ actions. It also means that when playing against an attacking AI or other player, the defender has the advantage of picking off those troops carrying ladders when there’s little the assaulting side can do to mitigate that. Yes, it would be more realistic, but we don’t believe that there’s enjoyable gameplay there on the whole.
In the process of designing the game, we of course have to make conceits and compromises to produce a better gameplay outcome, and we don’t think that having ladders appear at the walls is too much of an immersion-breaker when traded against the benefits of smoother, more flexible and stronger gameplay.
Similarly, units will teleport or drop straight down the inside face of walls, because being able to form up quickly and effectively off of a wall rather than filing one-by-one out of a door or down a ladder before forming up again, makes for smoother and more interesting gameplay that is less exploitable by the opposing player.

What’s the advantage of siege equipment/towers when every unit has ladders?
As mentioned in the Siege Blog, ladders are an option for breaching the walls that all non-monstrous infantry units have, but it is a high risk tactic due to the exposure and debuff the unit will get verses defenders. Siege Towers are very advantageous in that not only do they protect the unit within them from enemy fire under approach (and also soak up incoming fire protecting the rest of your army), but the unit in them immediately deploys on the wall, fresh, the instant they dock.
That of course makes them a prime target for defenders so you’ll need to consider and support their use. However, even a siege tower that gets destroyed halfway to the walls has often served an important shielding purpose, and even its wreckage can continue to provide some cover for units advancing under fire.
Do you remember in Empire TW when every unit had hooks and rope for wall climbing?

Maggot

Arcane
Patron
Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire
I've never played a Total War game but I'm pretty hyped for this game because of strategy + Warhammer.

try this http://www.twcenter.net/forums/forumdisplay.php?1377-Call-of-Warhammer
pick the 1.51 cause the 1.6 version is still in beta and buggy as hell.

I made a retard friendly install of 1.51 that just needs to be extracted to your mods folder with all of the mini fixes and patches installed in order for /twg/ a couple months back for multiplayer. If anyone's interested you can download it here.

these fuckers havent made a great game since med 2

they havent even made an average game since napoleon

Med 2 was shit without mods and clear decline compared to Medieval 1

In a way he's right. There were so many neat little features they stripped out going from Medieval 1 to Rome like named officers in every unit with stats and traits they could earn with titles you could grant them for governing over regions, dismounting knights before battle, the ability to choose which side of a rebellion you want to fight for, and betraying allies mid battle. The simplicity of the campaign map makes the AI do retarded things less often too. I do think Medieval 2 is an improvement over Rome though and mods like Bellum Crucis and CoW are why I still play M2 to this day.

Maggot

Arcane
Patron
Forgot about Planetwar too
iikxev.jpg
wucnab.jpg
The only mod where you can pit pseudo Romans against pandas, ninja turtles, dinosaurs, ogres, and basketball americans.

Last edited:

kwanzabot

Cipher
Shitposter
I've never played a Total War game but I'm pretty hyped for this game because of strategy + Warhammer.

try this http://www.twcenter.net/forums/forumdisplay.php?1377-Call-of-Warhammer
pick the 1.51 cause the 1.6 version is still in beta and buggy as hell.

I made a retard friendly install of 1.51 that just needs to be extracted to your mods folder with all of the mini fixes and patches installed in order for /twg/ a couple months back for multiplayer. If anyone's interested you can download it here.

these fuckers havent made a great game since med 2

they havent even made an average game since napoleon

Med 2 was shit without mods and clear decline compared to Medieval 1

In a way he's right. There were so many neat little features they stripped out going from Medieval 1 to Rome like named officers in every unit with stats and traits they could earn with titles you could grant them for governing over regions, dismounting knights before battle, the ability to choose which side of a rebellion you want to fight for, and betraying allies mid battle. The simplicity of the campaign map makes the AI do retarded things less often too. I do think Medieval 2 is an improvement over Rome though and mods like Bellum Crucis and CoW are why I still play M2 to this day.

i forgot about a few of those features, IDK i feel i still had more fun playing med 2 though, med 1 is still one of my favorite games of all time though :)

med 2> med 1 > rome 1 all on even or pretty even ground amazing games
napoleon> empire not bad not great pretty good OK
shogun 2 average bit copy paste
shogun 1 bare bones original
rome2 /attila complete shit

Maggot

Arcane
Patron
I found Attila refreshing after the garbage that was Rome 2. They took a lot of the concepts in Rome 2 and made them not complete garbage like tying edicts to governors you assign to provinces. The family tree was nice to see again along with some actual political mechanics tied to them. They kept the unwalled settlements but now you can finally upgrade them to have proper walls and garrison buildings made the army limits bearable. The new horde and siege mechanics were neat and it was nice to see peasants in towns and fields finally. I liked how civil wars actually made sense and happened due to rebellions and generals with low loyalty instead of 20 stacks on your capital and how they changed the matched combat system so you see less 1v1 with soldiers being hit from multiple angles and dying while fighting instead of taking turns. They also improved the sliding around soldiers do (which actually does happen in Medieval 2 and Rome sometimes) and the UI doesn't take half the screen (unless you leave the unit info open at all times). It's sad that CA actually took some steps forward and went back on some of their stupid decisions to only go full retard for Total Warhammer with pocket ladders and restricted campaigns that only allow you to conquer certain territories.

Agesilaus

Antiquity Studio
Patron
Developer
Grab the Codex by the pussy Codex USB, 2014 Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
The biggest misstep was the way they changed the strategic layer between Medieval 1 and Rome 1. They never took that back, and it's been a steady decline ever since.

Meh. Med 1 map was too simple, would be nice to choose the actual terrain you want to fight in, the location etc. But CA is too incompetent to do that properly.

Might as well ditch the grand campaign shit and just have a series of historical battles. TW sucks as a grandstrat game anyway.

Raghar

Arcane
Vatnik
I wouldn't call that incompetent. It's more like a demand from people who don't want to allow them to make unnecessary things.

Galdred

Studio Draconis
Patron
Developer
Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
Meh. Med 1 map was too simple, would be nice to choose the actual terrain you want to fight in, the location etc. But CA is too incompetent to do that properly.

Might as well ditch the grand campaign shit and just have a series of historical battles. TW sucks as a grandstrat game anyway.
TW never was a grandstrategy game. In MTW and STW, at least, the strategic layer played more or less the same role as the one in Jagged Alliance: give some context to the battles, and make you care for the outcome.
It could have been slightly improved indeed, but RTW turned that into some monstruosity, that still lacked depth, and became a mess to play for the AI.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom