Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

X-COM XCOM 2 + War of the Chosen Expansion Thread

Galdred

Studio Draconis
Patron
Developer
Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
http://store.steampowered.com/app/433080/

This rebellion-themed content pack introduces more than 100 new exotic customizations for the entire arsenal of armors available to your XCOM soldiers. These options are purely cosmetic and do not alter the stats of a soldier.
On one hand, it's just cosmetic crap. On the third hand, it's still dlc.
But this one has endless implications, like bikini armor, which would not have been harder to mod with the base game alone!
It also divides the armor into more parts, which I suppose is kind of cool for modding.

Mazisky

Magister
I'm looking forward for the next 2 dlc, new missions, class, tech and gameplay, a lot more interesting than cosmetic

i bought deluxe edition for those 2, i didn't even consider this one, and i have to say it's kinda weird.

I would prefere more hitech stuff rather than punk wasteland

Lerk

Learned
I would prefere more hitech stuff rather than punk wasteland

Thankfully modders have you covered. In fact modders have handed Firaxis` ass to them as far as cosmetic fluff goes. Sure it's all assets ripped from other games but still.

That said the DLC has a Kaiser helmet. One small, tenuous and historically inaccurate step closer to my dream of fielding a squad of Waffen SS...old-school Nazis versus Alien Nazis, oh yes.

Lerk

Learned
Have they fixed performance on this shit yet?
Yes and no. Generally everything's smoother and I can now max out everything. That said, my rig should be able to run this without any dips or hitches, but they're still there (just far less frequent than they were)

I'm not the type to be bothered by sub 60fps dips though, especially in a turn based game, so YMMV.

GTX970, 16GB DDR3, i7-something is what I'm running.

Jimmious

Arcane
Patron
Yes the patch made it much better. I barely notice stuttering even in the loading screen anymore and the actual loading is much faster.
Also in game, much better FPS

*My rig is a Quad Core(yep the old ones) with 8gb RAM, an SSD and a R9 390x

Last edited:

Lerk

Learned
Any modders here? Is it theoretically possible to rip uniform/weapon assets from say...Company of Heroes? :M

I've been holding out for some obsessive weirdo talented individual to inject some WW2 chic into the game but alas. I might have to actually try it myself.

Black

Arcane
I just saw how XCOM 2 handles psi and god damn, that is some dragonball bullshit right there. The first one already went too far with its black holes or whatever but this is on totally different level, especially in the final cutscene.
Whatever happened to psi powers being subtle and shit? Now we know that both magic and mind powers are purple, who knew.

Serus

Arcane
Patron
A heavyweight rig. Note it still doesn't run perfect, like Lerk said. But it is way way smoother.

So fuck it, no reason to try again on my mid end rig.
I wouldn't say that. I have sort of "mid end" by today's standards:
i5 (good one), 8GB ram and GTX960 and it runs ok. The crucial part (i'm only making an educated guess here) is to have it installed on a SSD - which i have. The game works fine, i mean "ok", playable and enjoyable.

CthuluIsSpy

Arcane
I just saw how XCOM 2 handles psi and god damn, that is some dragonball bullshit right there. The first one already went too far with its black holes or whatever but this is on totally different level, especially in the final cutscene.
Whatever happened to psi powers being subtle and shit? Now we know that both magic and mind powers are purple, who knew.

It doesn't help that the Avatars have vegeta hair.

Last edited:

Zombra

An iron rock in the river of blood and evil
Patron
Make the Codex Great Again! RPG Wokedex Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Codex+ Now Streaming! Serpent in the Staglands Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
A heavyweight rig. Note it still doesn't run perfect, like Lerk said. But it is way way smoother.
So fuck it, no reason to try again on my mid end rig.
Might be at least worth trying. They forgot to enable >10 FPS mode in the original version for all systems. Now they remembered to turn it on, so ... maybe.

CthuluIsSpy

Arcane
Seriously, the ending is Anime as fuck. The only way it could be more anime is if they had a mecha and ludicrously OP katanas.
Supposedly there's going to be a DLC that adds a soldier class created by shen, so we may very well get a gundam, and its only a matter of time before someone mods the fusion blade to be a japanese sword (which I will totally download)

Jimmious

Arcane
Patron
I finally did it, I finished the game in Commander/Ironman last night. 35 missions played, two failed, 5 guys lost (2 in first Mission, 1 from the first Sectopod Meeting and 2 were left behind in an unlucky timed Mission).
11 flawless missions.

I enjoyed the whole game a lot and will Replay in Legend eventually... But the last Mission almost drove me mad. Too long and also crashed once after I got a couple of good rolls which I could not repeat after loading...

The one before the last was much more fun to be honest.

Lerk

Learned
Totally. They could have done a lot more with the smaller squad size. Have a map where your squad is split into 3 groups of 2 at each corner and the objective is at the remaining corner and you have to fight your way through running battle style.

Btw check this out: https://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=647242867

My hopes weren't high but I just gave it a spin on Legend and its satisfyingly tense.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom