Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Game News Obsidian's next game is Tyranny, an isometric RPG set in a fantasy world where evil won

MrE

Literate
Not much revealed so far. Nice enough screens, despite the cartoonish vibe, + a promise for some verticality to the maps. The website isn't much to look at yet, I guess they're releasing info on the world gradually - I can only see descriptions for two of the locations on the map (also one of them is bleeding outside of the box but that might be browser-related). Intriguing details on literacy, life expectancy and beast population, wonder if any of that will find its way into the game. I really hope for TB combat (or just anything better than RTwP, I wish they could do something like in Copper Dreams). Not enough on story/systems to comment really (though I do expect them to know better than just copy PoE system). Art is ok from what little they showed.
On a side note - I wonder if they can do what has been done ages ago and enable map rotation (at least 4 directions like in Commandos 2). Would be nice, they could probably extend tactical options etc., unless the problem is with Unity.

Self-Ejected

Excidium II

Self-Ejected
On a side note - I wonder if they can do what has been done ages ago and enable map rotation (at least 4 directions like in Commandos 2). Would be nice, they could probably extend tactical options etc., unless the problem is with Unity.
They technically can, specially with how much it looks like a lot of corners have been cut regarding enviroment art quality. But I doubt they will.

Minttunator

Arcane
Patron
Codex 2012 Codex 2013 Codex 2014 PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 RPG Wokedex Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Codex+ Now Streaming! Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Codex USB, 2014 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Pathfinder: Wrath
Player Character enters Yiffton

BOEDAxdCEAArNQX.jpg

Deleted member 7219

Really want to know who's on the team for this. Surely that isn't embargoed?

Come onnn, who's project director and who's creative director (main writer)? Spill the beans Anthony Davis

Self-Ejected

Excidium II

Self-Ejected

Come onnn, who's project director and who's creative director (main writer)? Spill the beans Anthony Davis
Well, for one it's nobody that was on PoE, as development started in 2014. That excludes a lot of people we could possibly care about.

Wouldn't surprise me if this project was mostly to train with Obsidian's PoE toolset/process for those that entered the company to work on other projects like armored warfare. What with this being obviously a side-project between PoE and PoE 2.

Deleted member 7219

Well, for one it's nobody that was on PoE, as development started in 2014. That excludes a lot of people we could possibly care about.

Wouldn't surprise me if this was the project mostly to train with Obsidian's PoE toolset/process for those that entered the company to work on other projects like armored warfare. What with this being obviously a side-project between PoE and PoE 2.

Well, I guess Tim Cain is a safe bet. He didn't do much work on Pillars other than the stronghold.

Alvin Nelson might be a producer on this. He produced South Park but wasn't involved in Pillars if I recall correctly.

It would be interesting to know who is doing most of the writing on this. Obsidian lost a lot of good people in the years that followed New Vegas. Travis Stout, John Gonzalez... and we know Fenstermaker and Carrie Patel did the lion's share of the writing on Pillars, so they can probably be counted out. Maybe Fenstermaker was brought across as work wound down on Pillars - I think Patel did most of the writing for The White March.

Of course there could be a new team of writers on this, and I'm looking forward to seeing what they come up with.

Last edited by a moderator:

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
Codex Year of the Donut Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
Re: Tim Cain, don't forget this interview: http://www.rpgcodex.net/article.php?id=10151

Feargus Urquhart: Not to tease, but we will have news in the next two or three months. We absolutely are looking at crowdfunding one of our next titles as well, so we’ll have news on that soon. I can say it’s been fun to sit around and talk with Tim Cain, Game Director of the original Fallout, about ideas for our next thing. I wish I could talk about it more.

Hey TimCain, was he talking about Tyranny?

Deleted member 7219

Does Obsidian even have anyone worth mentioning now?

Do they even play Dark Sun anymore?

There are a lot of people still left over from Black Isle.

They've got plenty of people who worked on the Fallout games, including Brian Menze, Scott Everts, Tim Cain... and people should be worshipping at Eric Fenstermaker's feet. That guy was involved in two of Obsidian's best games, Fallout: New Vegas and Mask of the Betrayer.

Of course, I think anyone who worked on Pillars of Eternity deserves a shining gold star, but I don't think that puts me in a minority here. I think there's a silent majority on these forums in favour of Pillars.

Self-Ejected

Excidium II

Self-Ejected
There's always Josh. I like Eric's stuff in FNV and he seems like well-intentioned guy going by the interview.

Also the unsung heroes who made the tech behind PoE's grafics, we have them to thank for having some modern CRPGs that don't look like unity asset store shovelware.

ArchAngel

Arcane
This game could have been much more exciting if it was placed in Ravenloft setting. Evil won there as well but with few more interesting twists.

Deleted member 7219

There's always Josh. I like Eric's stuff in FNV and he seems like well-intentioned guy going by the interview.

Also the unsung heroes who made the tech behind PoE's grafics, we have them to thank for not all modern CRPGs looking like they were made with unity store assets.

Josh was the project director for both Pillars and The White March, it would be a huge leap for him to have been involved in this too.

Self-Ejected

Excidium II

Self-Ejected
Josh was the project director for both Pillars and The White March, it would be a huge leap for him to have been involved in this too.
Yeah he's confirmed not involved, I'm talking about people still on Obs that are relevant to codex interests.

Fairfax

Arcane
Game could still have stuff Sawyer made, specially lore related. He led Stormlands, after all, didn't he?

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
Codex Year of the Donut Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
It's worth noting that on Something Awful, Josh seemed to be dismissive of the idea that this game had much to do with Stormlands. :M

JES said:
The game/IP we worked on with Microsoft was never retooled and/or sold to anyone.

Fairfax

Arcane
It's probably just the "what if evil won?" concept being reused.

Also, not having much to do with Stormlands is good for them. That shit almost killed the company. :M

Roguey

Codex Staff
Staff Member
Sawyerite
Oh god, are we going to have a whole week of this rubbish until we get more information?

I'm already looking forward to the great Siege of Dragonspear vs Torment vs Tyranny wars.

Anthony Davis

Blizzard Entertainment
Developer
Re: Tim Cain, don't forget this interview: http://www.rpgcodex.net/article.php?id=10151

Feargus Urquhart: Not to tease, but we will have news in the next two or three months. We absolutely are looking at crowdfunding one of our next titles as well, so we’ll have news on that soon. I can say it’s been fun to sit around and talk with Tim Cain, Game Director of the original Fallout, about ideas for our next thing. I wish I could talk about it more.

Hey TimCain, was he talking about Tyranny?

no.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom