Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Daedalic Deponia Doomsday

Duellist_D

Savant
Patron
Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech
Can't second this.

His VA fits his character spot on.
This weird mix between an accent from cologne and the Ruhrpott gives the perfect cheeky bydlo/prick vibe to him.

Divinity: Original Sin Torment: Tides of Numenera Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath
UJthhcY.jpg

:incline::incline::incline::incline::incline:

pippin

Well, that was fast. It only took them like 2 years to realize how toxic Deponia 3 was.

Duellist_D

Savant
Patron
Well, that was fast. It only took them like 2 years to realize how toxic Deponia 3 was.

Nah, that turd of a journalist was pretty salty already when he reviewed Goodbye Deponia.

Probably triggered him a bit to many times, because oh noez, politically incorrect jokes, we can't have these in the US.
Remember, only violence is kosher!

pippin

Nah, that turd of a journalist was pretty salty already when he reviewed Goodbye Deponia.

Probably triggered him a bit to many times, because oh noez, politically incorrect jokes, we can't have these in the US.
Remember, only violence is kosher!

Yeah but other than that I only heard complaints about Deponia 3 during last year. Before that, I was kinda expecting the usual suspects to throw a hissy fit over the jokes in the game.
And those were only two. There's one situation during Deponia 1 they could easily interpret as transphobic. But who cares at this point, it's not like they can do anything other than complain.

By the way, I only learned about RPS' existance when I joined the Codex. For me at least it's kinda funny.

Reject_666_6

Arcane
Any game that causes this much SJW butthurt has earned my wage slave jewgold. Although it seems the first one didn't trigger them as much, I gotta start there for context.

Duellist_D

Savant
Patron
That RPS Article is a great source of fascinating quotes.

some random person said:
As a trans person with related PTSD, it still amazes me that someone can stand up in public and defend making art that uses violence against trans people as a source of humour.

gVqNpqT.png

Unkillable Cat

LEST WE FORGET
Patron
Codex 2014 Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy
Toni kicking the living shit gender out of Lotto is so far the highpoint of this game, but I haven't gotten far yet.

Lucky

Arcane
Question. Is it worth getting into Deponia? I've been thinking of playing them for a while now, but the reviews on it have been oddly dependent on what language they were written in. The French, Italian and German reviews I read were pretty positive, while the English ones tended toward rating them as abysmal. RPS seems to particularly hate the series, though Walker is a terrible, terrible reviewer who has trouble with even the most rudimentary puzzles, so I'm not sure if they're worth taking seriously.

pippin

Deponia's great. Don't trust RPS. People who find it difficult (with the exception of some really weird puzzles here and there) probably think Telltale cinematic shit are "real" adventure games.

RuySan

Augur
Question. Is it worth getting into Deponia? I've been thinking of playing them for a while now, but the reviews on it have been oddly dependent on what language they were written in. The French, Italian and German reviews I read were pretty positive, while the English ones tended toward rating them as abysmal. RPS seems to particularly hate the series, though Walker is a terrible, terrible reviewer who has trouble with even the most rudimentary puzzles, so I'm not sure if they're worth taking seriously.
I love adventure games and like some daedalic ones, but hated Deponia. Stupid infuriating illogical puzzles.

Duellist_D

Savant
Patron
There are a few illogical puzzles (and even from these, many make sense if you ditch real world logic and try to think with a deponians mind), but most are straight forward.

I'd recommend it.

Lucky

Arcane
Hmmm, I'm usually pretty good at figuring out illogical puzzles, so I'm giving it a try right now. My first impression is that the game definitely should be played with the German voices, plus subtitles if you need them - solid comedic voice acting.

Deponia's great. Don't trust RPS. People who find it difficult (with the exception of some really weird puzzles here and there) probably think Telltale cinematic shit are "real" adventure games.

They used to be decent to good, but the new writers are terrible and their older staff haven't improved their analytical skills over the years. Quite disappointing.

Unkillable Cat

LEST WE FORGET
Patron
Codex 2014 Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy
Finished it. To give a quick, spoiler-free review - this game is not worth playing, it's not a 'worthy' continuation of the Deponia story. This is a quick cashgrab with a crap plot. Most of the puzzle-solving in the final stages is repeating the same 'puzzle' over and over again.

While there are good sections in the game (game-start Kuvaq, Porto Rustica, the fairground) there were also sections that were over-used, but under-developed (Paradox City). The game felt rushed to me, and there's at least one plot point left dangling at the end that breaks the whole story...unless I missed something.

There are some very interesting references in the game. The opening prologue seems to be a reference to Telltale's Walking Dead-style of ''Adventure gaming", that screenshot showing an Eye of the Beholder-esque sequence is real (and even uses EotB sounds) but it's far too short and probably lost on many players. There's another section later on where the screen is divided into four sections that's a game reference I'm missing. Speaking of the opening prologue, it contains a total of five mini-games/QTEs, yet several hours of gametime pass until any other such mini-games pop up again in the game. There are also timed puzzles, but at least those are clearly marked.

Deponia fans should pick it up during a sale if they're curious, but otherwise leave it alone.

Now, for a few things to be put in spoilers (only to be read by people that have completed the game).

If Rufus was in the back of the Umux the whole time, then how come he could be stranded with all the others in the past AND be present during the end scene of the game?

Also, considering how Fewlocks spread out like cockroaches everywhere they went (and they reached a LOT of places) how were the Utopians supposed to be able to "put everything back the way it was"?

FeelTheRads

Arcane
but it's far too short and probably lost on many players.

Lost as in they won't get it (who gives a shit?) or that it's an optional part that you can miss?

I played a bit of the game and so far I think it's great. Feels like Deponia to me.

Divinity: Original Sin Torment: Tides of Numenera Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath
Now, for a few things to be put in spoilers (only to be read by people that have completed the game).

If Rufus was in the back of the Umux the whole time, then how come he could be stranded with all the others in the past AND be present during the end scene of the game?

Also, considering how Fewlocks spread out like cockroaches everywhere they went (and they reached a LOT of places) how were the Utopians supposed to be able to "put everything back the way it was"?

Yep, such kind of inconsistencies almost always happens with overcomplicated time-travelling plots. I guess, it can be explained by referring to some pseudo-scientific interpretation of quantum superposition, etc. But... does it really matter? The whole game feels as what-if scenario made up to piss off those people who disliked the original ending.

As for Fewlocks, AFAIU all of them ended up being closed in this timeless zone.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom