Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Fallout Fallout 4 Thread

Self-Ejected

Kazuki

Self-Ejected
They will be praised for it, for adding the stuff that have been there in previous games.

Old Hans

Arcane
"ohno my guy is really hungry, but I only have an unlimited supply of food. I hope I dont die"

Duellist_D

Savant
Patron
Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech
You wish. Fire damage does not stack in this game,

Fire Damage is a flat instant Damage bonus per bullet, not a "over time" effect like poison, so yes, it does stack (or doesn't, if you like it, doesn't make a difference in calculating the damage since its instant).

As a matter of fact, it really doesn't stack.
Meaning supermutants simply suck, because killing them with the FullAuto 10mm isn't really much of a problem.

Yup, that sounds like the typical "defend coastal cottage" bullshit. Fast travel in and end up having 4 of those buggers standing behind you. They blew up mah powah armoah faster than I could sprint away. Turrets are instakilled and only serve as sinks for repair materials. Some settlements are just not worth the hassle.
Sure, let's ignore the factory fortress to the east and squat in that little shithole here in clear view of a Mudcrab queen instead.

Thats easy to build around.
The AI tends to fire on the Turrets/Targets that are the closest ones.

Place some normal turrets that don't require Power on the outer perimeter and place "heavy laser" or missile turrets on central elevated places so they can shoot over your own guys.

Since Bethesda is overhauling some shit, they should add an option that prevents settlers from looting your shit.
Discovered by accident that one cheecky fuck in Sanctuary was carrying around three Miniguns and several hundred shots worth of Ammo..

Last edited:

Duellist_D

Savant
Patron
And after all they stil haven't released the fucking GECK.

Tons of Mods out there, and all relying on tools that have been hacked together by the Community.
Ridiculous.

Zerginfestor

Learned
this is why I refuse to even buy the damn game. Hell, I haven't played it for well over a month by now. Game really does suck ass.

Reinar

Scholar
I guess they don't want people to release fan mods that are doing the same thing (probably better) as what they are planning to sell as an official DLC.

Duellist_D

Savant
Patron
Yeah, i suspect something like this.
Probably some accountant coming up with the fear that the GECK might screw up their DLC sales.

I have been out of the loop with bethesda games for to long (New Vegas doesn't count in this regard), have any of the FO 3 DLC been good?

Jick Magger

Arcane
Patron
PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Serpent in the Staglands Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Bubbles In Memoria
Yeah, i suspect something like this.
Probably some accountant coming up with the fear that the GECK might screw up their DLC sales.

I have been out of the loop with bethesda games for to long (New Vegas doesn't count in this regard), have any of the FO 3 DLC been good?

Operation Anchorage was Bethesda's baffling attempt to turn Fallout 3 into a corridor shooter, despite the shooting being the absolute worst thing about the game besides the writing, and the only 'redeeming' feature of it was all the equipment it just gives you that will utterly tear apart what little semblance of balance the game desperately tries to maintain. Zeta was just Bethesda's excuse to take an already pretty stale joke in the base game and just utterly run it through the ground. The Pitt and Broken Steel were just mediocre, the former gives you a pretty bare-basic and amateur attempt at a morally ambiguous conflict, and Broken Steel was pretty much just them charging you $10 to actually finish the fucking game.

Point Lookout was the only one I would consider 'good', but even then it has its share of issues, the aforementioned level scaling hillbillies being amongst them.

Self-Ejected

Kazuki

Self-Ejected
Expect more Operation Anchorage-like stuff from future Bethesda Fallout DLC from now on, because the dumbing down dialog system and Voiced Protagonist that we have right now.

No more Open World exploration stuff like Point Lookout and expect Call of Duty style linear FPS instead.

Seriously they fucking limiting themselves by introducing that idea in the first place.

What a fucking idiot.

Jick Magger

Arcane
Patron
PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Serpent in the Staglands Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Bubbles In Memoria
Bleh, so really nothing to look forward to.
It's easy to compare and contrast Fallout 3 and New Vegas' DLC by comparing the design priorities that Bethesda and Obsidian had towards them. Obsidian used their DLC packs as a method to extend and expand upon the plot of the main game, with new weapons, locations, and perks thrown in for added measure, while Bethesda mostly treats their DLC as a method of adding new content to the game (new weapons, armors, enemies, etc), with story being considered a mandatory, but nevertheless secondary objective. They did try and create a wacky and zany plot with Mothership Zeta, and the results were embarrassingly cringe-worthy at best.

It's why whenever you hear someone recommending Bethesda designed DLC, it's usually using an argument like "If you get Operation Anchorage, you can get an indestructible suit of power armor and the training to wear it way earlier in the game!", or "Get Dawnguard, and you can use crossbows!", and never anything like "Dead Money has an incredibly interesting and well-written plot, with plenty of compelling characters and an interesting theme, which is why you should get it".

Bliblablubb

Arcane
Thats easy to build around.
The AI tends to fire on the Turrets/Targets that are the closest ones.
Place some normal turrets that don't require Power on the outer perimeter and place "heavy laser" or missile turrets on central elevated places so they can shoot over your own guys.
Nah, the problem is turrets are made of thin toilet paper and get blown up before you even see the attackers, especially in small settlements. Plus it's Bethesda, so the normal 5 DEF turret is far shittier than the heavy 8 DEF version, and the game likes to place MK1 versions unless you put them back in the workbench and place them again (then they are level scaled). Might as well hide them in a shed to increase DEF, then let the settlers kill the attackers with their pipepistols. Any DEF higher than the settlements population is wasted anyway, most of my attacks happen at Wildslop Greentop Naggary, even tho it's produce/def ratio makes Fort Knox look like a Starbucks Drive-in.

I prefer to build manned barricades instead anyway, fits a lot better than all those magical turrets you build from paperclips, cooking oil and ASSaultron parts. Also takes care of all those bums doing nothing all day since I reached some magical cap on "scrap in the bench".

Heh, that would be an awsome mod actually: an assaultron head on a pole for defense. Zappo!

Duellist_D

Savant
Patron
Nah, the problem is turrets are made of thin toilet paper and get blown up before you even see the attackers, especially in small settlements. Plus it's Bethesda, so the normal 5 DEF turret is far shittier than the heavy 8 DEF version, and the game likes to place MK1 versions unless you put them back in the workbench and place them again (then they are level scaled). Might as well hide them in a shed to increase DEF, then let the settlers kill the attackers with their pipepistols. Any DEF higher than the settlements population is wasted anyway, most of my attacks happen at Wildslop Greentop Naggary, even tho it's produce/def ratio makes Fort Knox look like a Starbucks Drive-in.

I prefer to build manned barricades instead anyway, fits a lot better than all those magical turrets you build from paperclips, cooking oil and ASSaultron parts. Also takes care of all those bums doing nothing all day since I reached some magical cap on "scrap in the bench".

Heh, that would be an awsome mod actually: an assaultron head on a pole for defense. Zappo!

Being made of toilet paper is really a non-issue if the Attackers don't hit them.
Hitting a Laser or Missile Turret in the middle of the Settlement seems nigh impossible for them.
Trust me on this.
Lvl 80 something now and i only go to to "Settlement is Attacked" encounters because you fail them otherwise, no matter the defense score.
The actual work is done by the settlers and especially the turrets, with only shitheaps like the swampsettlement needing repairs.
Seriously, use Missile turrets, and the heavy laser variants, they rip attackers to shreds.
Only problem with the missile variant is that it sends the corpses flying, so looting gets less productive.

Duellist_D

Savant
Patron
This Video is interesting, i wonder why they cut it from Final Game.

Companiondeath:
Probably because those fucks would die way to easy, thanks to retarded AI.

Companions leaving:
Would make console peasants die.

At least the first can be turned back on with a simple entry in the INI, I'm not sure about the latter.

pippin

Because having companions dying would trigger failure states for their quests. You can't have people failing quests, don't you know?

Nick Valentine dies with the finishing blow given by the Mysterious Stranger.

That's so fitting I can only assume it happened in spite of Todd.

Drakortha

Liturgist
check out this beauty - trailer graphics in comparison to how game looks on ultra settings in final product.

dWhkkX8.png

Bliblablubb

Arcane
Companiondeath:
Probably because those fucks would die way to easy, thanks to retarded AI.
Companions leaving:
Would make console peasants die.
Companions leave if their affection drops low enough, some of them can even be killed if you oppose their faction.
But it looks to me like they wanted to do it F:NV style, with companions saying their death line and getting unconcious. But then someone played Far Cry 2 and fell in love with the "seated last stand, plz giev morphine" drama. Only to screw it up since companions don't continue to fire in that state, they just sit there like a junkie after his needle of happyness.

check out this beauty - trailer graphics in comparison to how game looks on ultra settings in final product.
They didn't mislead us, a supermutant attack destroyed that street lamp just before you arrived! :shittydog:

But seriously, it's pretty sad that their crappy engine couldn't even handle that bit of extra lighting even in a tiny cell like Goodneighbor. Not that "ultra" actually looks much better than my "ultra low" settings.
Turns out repeating "it just works" like a prayer doesn't make a decent engine by itself, eh Todd?

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom