Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

People News David Gaider has joined Beamdog as Creative Director

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
Codex Year of the Donut Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
Fairfax is probably referring to the COD: Black Ops 2 campaign, which had some C&C. I don't think it really has quantitatively more C&C than any Mass Effect game but it was kind of cool nonetheless.

FeelTheRads

Arcane
:lol: :lol:

I believe that it was already heading Bioware's games since Jade Empire, that's why playing it felt like chewing on hair.

Fairfax

Arcane
Fairfax is probably referring to the COD: Black Ops 2 campaign, which had some C&C. I don't think it really has quantitatively more C&C than any Mass Effect game but it was kind of cool nonetheless.
Quantitavely? No, but it's like a CYOA thing, at least. ME3 has what, the Mordin thing? Romances? :deadhorse:

Kem0sabe

Arcane
I bet Gaider was let go for Sexual harassment, he probably tried to convince one of the intern hipster ladyboys to touch his toupee one time too many.

Roguey

Codex Staff
Staff Member
Sawyerite
It's fantastic how we now live in an internet where crazy black self-loathing white women can be indistinguishable from crazy white nerds.

Malpercio

Arcane
I think it will be interesting to see what he can do.

Gaider did good in the past, it will be interesting if he can do decent things again now that's he free from modern Bioware, or he's truly ruined for good.

Plus it's Beamdog, not like he can fuck too much.

It's fantastic how we now live in an internet where crazy black self-loathing white women can be indistinguishable from crazy white nerds.
But why are they mad at Gaider? He didn't include trans* or genderfluid romance option in DAI or something? Qunari were already a mix of islam and hindu caste stereotypes, and also non-white, so he should have been covered on that front at least.

Roguey

Codex Staff
Staff Member
Sawyerite
But why are they mad at Gaider? He didn't include trans* or genderfluid romance option in DAI or something? Qunari were already a mix of islam and hindu caste stereotypes, and also non-white, so he should have been covered on that front at least.
Probably this http://www.rpgcodex.net/forums/inde...pre-release-thread.75304/page-77#post-2841305

Septaryeth

Augur

I had a look at all the other tweets by her (assuming it's a she), and boy ain't they :edgy:.
What baffled me more is why Gaider would even take the effort to reply. Is this dezra person significant in any way?

Fairfax

Arcane
Human stretch goal goes without saying.

Only fucking retards and imbeciles would support it now. We have seen what happens when we pledge for a game with Avelone and he has no real power...
I wouldn't support a Beamdog KS in any case, but the thing about MCA and PoE is that they misled everyone. With TTON it was clear right away that he was just going to write a companion (and he looks good so far). If they're transparent about it, I think people who believe in Beamdog will support it.
If they announce something like "CHRIS AVELLONE WILL JOIN OUR AMAZING DESIGN TEAM" then you can bet it'll be bullshit just like George Ziets working on PoE.

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
Codex Year of the Donut Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
http://www.zam.com/story.html?story=36653

Is there a Baldur's Gate 3 in our future?
Newly-minted Beamdog Creative Director David Gaider is tight-lipped, but all signs point to more from this series on the horizon.

David Gaider, perhaps best known as the lead writer for BioWare's Dragon Age series of fantasy roleplaying games, took many by surprise when it was announced last month that he would be leaving the company after 17 years. I caught up with him recently to learn what was up.

Beamdog, a small company located just down the road from BioWare's Edmonton offices and founded by two of Gaider's past colleagues, Trent Oster and Cameron Tofer. Beamdog is best known for their Enhanced Editions of classic BioWare RPGs Baldur's Gate and Baldur's Gate II. They're currently putting the finishing touches on an all-new expansion meant to bridge the two games, Siege of Dragonspear.

"I ran into Trent Oster at my gym, actually," Gaider explains. Beamdog had recently posted a job listing for a new senior writer, presumably as part of a push toward more original content like the Dragonspear expansion. "We just sort of chatted about it... At first I didn't take it that seriously, you know, I thought 'oh, this is interesting' [but] 'is this something where I would be overqualified?'"

Beamdog agreed with Gaider there: Senior Writer was too small a title for someone 17 years in the business, who had been the central creative mind behind a sprawling, three-game fantasy series like Dragon Age. So, through a series of negotiations, Beamdog bumped up the position to Creative Director.

"It's kind of a big step -- moving up to that level over a team of 150 [at BioWare] would be pretty daunting, so this is a little more within my reach, perhaps," says Gaider. "It's kind of exciting, going to a small startup company. Shake off some of the dust."

Players might naturally be wondering where Gaider expects to go with his new and improved (you could say enhanced) role. I asked him directly if this meant he was returning to the Baldur's Gate franchise -- a series he first made his mark on with Baldur's Gate II, which is still widely considered one of the best computer role-playing games ever made.

"I can't really talk about that until it's announced," Gaider tells me, as I expected him to. "It's not guaranteed to be Baldur's Gate."

But would Gaider like to return to the series?

"Absolutely!" he says, his voice perking up. "I've always loved Dungeons & Dragons. And I think I've been away from it long enough that the sort of ennui that I had built up is gone and new things are rolling around in my head... Who wouldn't want to take on the challenge of being in charge of the next version of that?"

Which, I don't know about you, sounds to me like he's probably working on the next Baldur's Gate.

268887.jpg

Baldur's Gate II: Enhanced Edition

Now -- to be absolutely clear here -- I am not saying that this in any way confirms that a Baldur's Gate 3 is in the pipeline. However, Beamdog co-founder Cameron Tofer talked about it as a long-term goal for the company at least as far back as 2012. They've had a few issues with the Dungeons & Dragons license-holders since that time, but everything seems to be above-board now and nothing is preventing the upcoming Siege of Dragonspear expansion (which Gaider was not involved in) from hitting digital storefronts. So it seems that, all the various elements aligning as they are, it's highly likely we're in store for some more Baldur's Gate in the future, with Gaider at the helm.

If we do see a Baldur's Gate 3, it will probably come to us in the form of a Kickstarter campaign, similar to how Obsidian's Pillars of Eternityand InXile's Wasteland 2 were funded. Tofer says as much in the interview I've linked above, though who knows, plans may have changed since then. You hear a lot about "Kickstarter fatigue" these days, and whether or not that's a real thing (Kickstarter routinely says it isn't, but the numbers are worrying), Beamdog may decide they're better off funding the game the old-fashioned way. And that's supposing Baldur's Gate 3 is actually in the works and not just wishful thinking on all our parts.

Still, for those who might have worried what could have prompted a big name like David Gaider to leave his studio of 17 years for a relative unknown -- you can probably put those worries aside. Gaider seems quite relaxed and confident in his decision, and meanwhile he maintains that the Dragon Age games he's left behind at BioWare are in good hands.

"Leaving Dragon Age behind and leaving BioWare behind are two very different things," he stresses, noting that he had already been off the series for a year prior to this move. "As much as I wanted to stay and loved the setting, I knew I was getting tired and I didn't really have a lot of new ideas. So as hard as it was to turn it over to somebody else, I think I knew deep down that it was time, and that it was the best thing for series."

Besides, even supposing BioWare did do something catastrophic with his baby -- and Gaider says he can't imagine what that would even look like -- he's pretty much right next door.

Aenra

At least the thread is amusing, lol
But as far as Gayder is concerned, i'm left disinterested. Couldn't give a fuck about him even when BGs were all the rage, let alone now..

Extra chuckle for the "when and if we cannot say", but should it come to be, why how else, lol? Kickstarter.. surprise.. As long as it's RTwP, i couldn't give a fuck. MCA himself could start his own studio, announce project of his dreams, ten years of work on it.. if it had RTwP, i wouldn't fund. Hoping for more laugh material in the meantime.

AwesomeButton

Proud owner of BG 3: Day of Swen's Tentacle
Patron
PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy Insert Title Here RPG Wokedex Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath
Besides, even supposing BioWare did do something catastrophic with his baby -- and Gaider says he can't imagine what that would even look like -- he's pretty much right next door.

Neither can I imagine it - given what was done to it with Gaider in charge. :M

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom