Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Capcom Dragon's Dogma: Dark Arisen

Reinhardt

Arcane
Assassin is good, but first he needs to collect augments from other vocations. His own are terrible.

Mozg

Arcane
Having the +20% strength/magic augments at rank 9 of warrior/sorcerer is dumb. There really shouldn't be any augments above like rank 4 or 5, where you try out the class for an hour and then whether you want to stick with it or not you have all the augments.

Blaine

Cis-Het Oppressor
Patron
Grab the Codex by the pussy
No, this is a Japanese game. You have to suffer very long time doing thing you don't really want to do to get good thing, gaijin bigeyes.

Assassin had one or two good augments back before the nerf. I'm not sure why +70% attack power while alone is considered overpowered, since two sorcerer pawns will dish out far more than that on the whole. Probably something about people killing Ur-Dragon too easily or some shit.

Damned Registrations

Furry Weeaboo Nazi Nihilist
It was overpowered because it's multiplicative. 1.7 x 1.4 x1.2 x etc. and you end up with stupidly high attack power really quickly.

mediocrepoet

Philosoraptor in Residence
Patron
Codex 2012 Codex+ Now Streaming! MCA Project: Eternity Divinity: Original Sin 2

DDZ

Red blood, white skin, blue collar
Patron
Codex 2013 Codex 2014 PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015
Finally max vocation in Mystic Knight, NG+ at the final battle. Now I am going to BBI. Been there before but the Gorecyclops owned me so hard.

Blaine

Cis-Het Oppressor
Patron
It was overpowered because it's multiplicative. 1.7 x 1.4 x1.2 x etc. and you end up with stupidly high attack power really quickly.

That's not really a valid explanation, though, because in addition to nerfing Autonomy's offensive bonus from +70% to +20% in Dark Arisen, Capcom also implemented a hard cap of +80% to any attribute, regardless of how many augments are stacked.

In other words, an un-nerfed Autonomy plus one other augment would have reached that +80% cap and that's where the bonus would have stayed.

Mozg

Arcane
I think augment +% bonuses actually work like extra base stats, and the +80% capped thing that shows up as an "effect" (like a conqueror's periapt, or a magic archer using magic rebalancer) is separate. I know if you look at your status page while you have an effect bonus running it doesn't change your listed attack, while augments do.

Invictus

Arcane
The Real Fanboy
Divinity: Original Sin 2
My fighter pawn seems maxed out at level 50 and has over 30,000 unused points. i was thinking of switching her to a warrior to try to get some cool skills for her or maybe an assassin what eould you guys suggest? Since My char is a sorcerer both of those still make sense since she can do the shield drop skill to make enemies focus on her to give me time to cast, and making her an assassin still gives me access to a few of her weapons skills as to not have to baby her but maybe warrior has better skills down the road

Haba

Harbinger of Decline
Patron
Codex 2012 MCA Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2
Ugh... First fight that I almost had to flee from. Not because it was tough, but because it was such bullshit.

Metal Golem, MC Mystic Knight, seal in a fucking tree. GG.

Magic Cannon deals magic damage... seal is impervious to magic damage.

Delterius

Arcane
The holy bolts can fire through walls too btw. Also, Exequy is hugely underrated.
latest

this fucker deserves exequys to the face, at least the version of him in the forest
Ugh... First fight that I almost had to flee from. Not because it was tough, but because it was such bullshit.

Metal Golem, MC Mystic Knight, seal in a fucking tree. GG.

Magic Cannon deals magic damage... seal is impervious to magic damage.
Oh, what a coincidence.
Your best bet is to use Abyssal Anguish for most of the seals and get Archer pawns to kill the seal in the tree.

felipepepe

Codex's Heretic
Patron
Yeah, Metal Golems are bullshit. Had a fight were the last medallion was floating high in the air and I was solo with a melee-only assassin...the solution was climbing on top of the golem and jumping to land like 3 hits in mid-air on the medallion.... like 15 times.

Blaine

Cis-Het Oppressor
Patron
The camera's not too awful in general for me, but the "action slo-mo cam" is a double-edged sword. It lets you know when your pawn has a tandem attack ready and so on, but is jarring and distracting.

Blaine

Cis-Het Oppressor
Patron
I have a hot tip: Steam Family Sharing allows you to play multiple save files without file-swapping. It's similar in function to account-swapping on consoles.

Also, I'm interested in adding people to the ol' friends list so we can use each others' pawns and get rift crystals. Maybe we (all five or six of us actively playing) should start a convo. I'm afraid my pawn is a Strider/Archer with some Warrior DNA and not a healbot or nuke cannon, but

My Steam handle is Blaine, not too surprisingly, which could return a lot of results... I'm in the RPG Codex group.

The Decline

Arcane
It's the little details that make this game a step above, like using anything that explodes to empty a mining spot all at once.

Blaine

Cis-Het Oppressor
Patron
It's the little details that make this game a step above, like using anything that explodes to empty a mining spot all at once.

You can also knock out all the ore in one go with a greatsword or hammer (clearly super-realistic). Another tip: In extremely windy areas, pick up your pawn to move more quickly through the wind while ensuring the pawn doesn't get up to shenanigans.

There are some niggles in this game too, and plenty of them. For example, pawns for whatever reason love to mill about IN FRONT OF YOU while you're navigating crags and ledges and need to perform running leaps. It's infuriating. On a related note, the D-pad commands are close to useless; "Go" sends them to wherever your camera's pointing for 10-15 seconds, and you must continually point to the desired area without moving the camera. If you move it, they'll rush to follow. "Come" is pretty decent if you want them to stop fighting and flee alongside you, though. "Help me!" might encourage them to prioritize healing spells or attack enemies near you, but it's hard to notice. Also, you definitely don't want pawns getting the Guardian inclination, since it's badly implemented.

These are minor aggravations, for the most part.

It's funny that pawns can learn bad habits from you, like picking up loot mid-battle. It's typically okay when they player does it, because you know you have a moment free to grab something, but pawns may do it at stupid times and you generally don't want to fuck up their inclination priorities. I therefore typically avoid picking up loot mid-battle even if there'd otherwise be no harm in it.

Perkel

Arcane
wow just installed ENB profile and holy smokes. DD which looks like DX9 game from 2006 with washed out look, looks now like DX11 2015 game at least. Some textures are bit crappy but hell Global Lighting makes everything looks way better than before.

And still runs butter smooth 60fps @ 1080p

DDZ

Red blood, white skin, blue collar
Patron
Codex 2013 Codex 2014 PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015
Man BBI is a change of pace, loving it.

Place is pretty creepy, just got to the Warriors Respite or something, and it's depressing.

Anyone got a hint on how to get around on BBI? I got a bunch of Liftstones I can use, but then I would have to walk all the way back to where I left off? Or am I missing something?

mediocrepoet

Philosoraptor in Residence
Patron
Codex 2012 Codex+ Now Streaming! MCA Project: Eternity Divinity: Original Sin 2
My Steam handle is Blaine, not too surprisingly, which could return a lot of results... I'm in the RPG Codex group.

Mine is mediocrepoet, also in the RPGCodex group.

With the Steam family profiles - do you have to add friends separately to that account re: pawn sharing? I've never tried to add a second account before but would love to have a separate save for this game.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom