Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Yet Another Morrowind Thread

Caim

Arcane
3d767acdf1.png
wleljd.png

Vivec is a pretty cool guy, eh defies gods and doesn't afraid of anything.

For real though I just chatted with Vivec for the first time. I love how detached and matter of fact he is. Great character.
Not to mention the Sermons are quality crypto-babble with some hints to genuine esoteric thought. They remind of something written by Joel Osteen, if he was Thelemite who did a lot of LSD in the eighties...and was a legit wizard.
Close enough. In real life they were written by Michael Kirkbride, who locked himself in a room naked for three days with nothing but whisky, cigarettes and a typewriter to keep him company.

DraQ

Arcane
"Legit wizard", as in, 80 yo kissless virgin ?
Anyway, everyone knows that the 36 Lessons is just another 4th-wall-breaking easter egg :
https://fallingawkwardly.wordpress.com/2010/10/25/the-metaphysics-of-morrowind-part-3/
It's both and more.
:M
3d767acdf1.png
wleljd.png

Vivec is a pretty cool guy, eh defies gods and doesn't afraid of anything.

For real though I just chatted with Vivec for the first time. I love how detached and matter of fact he is. Great character.
Not to mention the Sermons are quality crypto-babble with some hints to genuine esoteric thought. They remind of something written by Joel Osteen, if he was Thelemite who did a lot of LSD in the eighties...and was a legit wizard.
Close enough. In real life they were written by Michael Kirkbride, who locked himself in a room naked for three days with nothing but whisky, cigarettes and a typewriter to keep him company.
I find it hard to believe.

I mean just whiskey and cigarettes?
wleljd.png

Caim

Arcane
I hope Bloodmoon is better than Tribunal. .
It's a lot more open than Tribunal, and not ruins on top of ruins on top of ruins. It's like the teaser to Skyrim. And the East Empire Company questline is pretty fun.

DraQ

Arcane
It's a lot more open than Tribunal, and not ruins on top of ruins on top of ruins. It's like the teaser to Skyrim. And the East Empire Company questline is pretty fun.
It's a shittier Skyrim, though.

None of the Morrowind's attention to detail, instead you have copypasta bookshelves, copypasta barrows and shit. None of Skyrim's procedural content and minor procedural reactivity or picturesque landscaping either.

It's not bad, but that's mostly just because it expands Morrowind.

Kalon

Scholar

It's actually worse, in its own way.
It has two of the worst enemies of the game - Spriggans and Mounted Rieklings. I have yet to find a sound replacer for these two abominations, to eliminate the default soundfiles Bethesda used, i.e. "Raped Woman" and "Dying Piglet".
The lack of roads means all dungeons (tombs and caves) are scattered all over the island with no sense of design whatsoever. The Barrows themselves are just one dungeon copypasted ad nauseam, down to loot placement, so once you've done one you'll know exactly where the treasure chests are located.
The MQ is cringeworthy in terms of writing. I mean, it makes absolutely no sense. The "trials" you get at some points feel just plain silly and like your character is playing some kind of kindergarten activity.
In some aspects, Bloodmoon feels like a beta Oblivion. So on top of the random dungeons, they also added a bit of voice acting, which is ok the first time you hear it, but quickly grows tiresome, and a bit of facial expressions like in Oblivion, which here translates as " character doing crazy things with his eyebrows while speaking to you".

Now, once you've overlooked these, it can be a really fun place for a stealth and bow oriented character. The loot is also nice, if your character is not past the point where loot doesn;t even matter anymore.
Also, two of the best dungeon mods are located on Solstheim: The Neverhalls and The Forgoten Halls.

DraQ : Lack of attention to details also show in Tribunal. Ever wondered why the Imperial Cult guy in the palace is wearing a Tribunal robe ?

Beastro

Arcane
:stupid:
Except guards, all sorts of people from house hlaalu, presumably temple people to eventually clean up the body (the alternative of having a rotting corpse sprawled in the middle of your living room isn't much more attractive) and such. Not to mention housemaid who's already there.

Well, my character can hide from the guards, clean the body by typing "delete" in the console, and enjoy shagging the housemaid.

This is all moot anyway, since I probably don't even need a house. I'm way past collecting big piles of junk in that game.
Sure they can, but would they want to live in place where they'd have to?
Also, the moment you use console to facilitate your "MUH ROLEPLAYING!!!!1" should set the alarm sirens off in your head.

But they're just CHIMing it up!

Blowhard

Cipher
Tribunal did have some sweet ass dungeon crawling in places. I can't recall the name, but the daedric ruin that connected to the dwemer ruin and opened up into a huge staircase with high level daedra is actually one of my favorite areas from the game.

Kalon

Scholar
Norenen-Dur. Yes, it was rather impressive and beautifully made. Much, much better than the Clockwork "City" which is quite a disappointment.
But Tamriel Rebuilt has made some very awe-inspiring daedric ruins as well.

DraQ

Arcane
The lack of roads means all dungeons (tombs and caves) are scattered all over the island with no sense of design whatsoever.
Also the lack of (mostly) impassable terrain.

The Barrows themselves are just one dungeon copypasted ad nauseam, down to loot placement, so once you've done one you'll know exactly where the treasure chests are located.
That's just sheer slander.

I mean there are at least *two*.
:troll:
It was kewl how Dragonborn expanded on the Bloodmoon pirate quest.
DB did an admirable job expanding on about everything in BM.

It had an unenviable task of having to both stay true to something plain, flat and rather bland, and making things interesting - it somehow managed to do both.
It's both much better expansion than BM was, and much better mini-Morrowind in Skyrim than BM was mini-Skyrim in Morrowind.

Akratus

Self-loathing fascist drunken misogynist asshole
Patron
Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy Insert Title Here Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
Morrowind is a terrible game..

Morrowind is one of the few games (and probably the last) with lore I cared about. It was wonderful at some things, and bad at others, like most of the greatest RPGs.

that's nice to know i still think it's a terrible boring game but if you like it thats fine ;)
You know how trolls are often like: You only thought I was retarded, I was merely pretending!
Well, it's interesting to see one except without the pretending part.

MWaser

Arbiter
Ayy lmao guys, this bro even has a private profile. He must be afraid of all the cyberbullying he'd get for unpopular opinions.

You also got to love the terrific argumentation provided.

kwanzabot

Cipher
Shitposter
Morrowind is a terrible game..

Morrowind is one of the few games (and probably the last) with lore I cared about. It was wonderful at some things, and bad at others, like most of the greatest RPGs.

that's nice to know i still think it's a terrible boring game but if you like it thats fine ;)
You know how trolls are often like: You only thought I was retarded, I was merely pretending!
Well, it's interesting to see one except without the pretending part.

i'm sorry you like a terrible game and i'm sorry for talking shit about your favorite game :p

either way morrowind is garbage :P

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom