Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Why was BG2. . . subpar?

Jaesun

Fabulous Ex-Moderator
Patron
MCA
Someone needs to play TOEE... +M

kwanzabot

Cipher
Shitposter

oldmanpaco

Master of Siestas
From the time you wake up until you get on the boat to spellhold BG2 is about the funnest rpg I've played. There is so much content in chapter 2 that when you start to get railroaded into the main quest it feels like a major letdown.

fake edit: I think one of the developers even said they regretted putting so much stuff into chapter 2 that the other chapters felt light. Not sure if he meant they should have cut stuff or just redistributed it.

valcik

Arcane
The bad thing is that there's not enough experience points to level up your party properly when you finish all the available quests in chapter 2 before sailing to Spellhold. On the other hand, some quests cannot be left for later, such as Haer'Dalis quest with interplannar prison. Decisions, decisions..

Sykar

Arcane
The bad thing is that there's not enough experience points to level up your party properly when you finish all the available quests in chapter 2 before sailing to Spellhold. On the other hand, some quests cannot be left for later, such as Haer'Dalis quest with interplannar prison. Decisions, decisions..

Level 14-15 is not enough for Spellhold? Cool story bro.

valcik

Arcane
You have misunderstood - when you sail to Spellhold after finishing all the chapter 2 quests, any character recruited after (including Imoen) cannot level up properly.

kwanzabot

Cipher
Shitposter
You have misunderstood - when you sail to Spellhold after finishing all the chapter 2 quests, any character recruited after (including Imoen) cannot level up properly.

who are you gonna recruit after spellhold besides maybe imoen if you have yoshimo lol... you can get everyone in the game during chapter 2

nigga u slow

pippin

Has any of you guys used Haerdalis? I never really felt he was useful for my parties.

kwanzabot

Cipher
Shitposter
When i played bg2 i only ever took the same few guys since only a few companions in that game didn't annoy me

vicona
edwin
keldorn
valygar

those 4 are the only 4 i can think if i didn't think were annoying, both playthroughs i had yoshimo which turned into imoen, but i don't really like imoen she just gave me an extra spellcaster and she's less annoying then jan and nalia's thief skills suck

1 thing that always bothered me is they brought 2 of the shittiest companions from BG1 to BG2 and expected you to take them as your main dudes, i think i ditched khalid and jaheira as soon as i was able and i thought minsc was a retard with his dumass hamster even with i was like 10 years old.. xD

pippin

Not having Kivan or Coran in bg2 was a bummer for me, those were my favorite characters both in "personality" and abilities, especially considering how missile weapons are so overpowered in bg1.

kwanzabot

Cipher
Shitposter
i still remember my first party in bg1 it was

me(ranger)
kivan
coran
ajantis
imoen(thought she was less annoying in bg1)
viconia

was a straight goon squad, never even thought about taking a mage my first time through :p

Theldaran

Liturgist
Has any of you guys used Haerdalis? I never really felt he was useful for my parties.

He can be a good tank with arcane defensive spells, almost untouchable for the most difficult fights. For the rest you can take a fighter though. Stack a Stoneskin, Mirror Image, Blur and some other goodz onto him and watch him soak attacks. Requires more micromanagement and more rest, but it's profitable.

Atlantico

unida e indivisible
Patron
Undisputed Queen of Faggotry Vatnik In My Safe Space
Make the Codex Great Again!
BG2 didn't have Xan as a companion. Being in the goddam tutorial is just an insult to his absence in the game.

:1/5:

Self-Ejected

Lilura

RPG Codex Dragon Lady
I like how Xan comes with the Luck spell scribed to his spellbook.

pippin

It has been said that Khalid was supposed to be a fighter mage, which makes more sense considering his stats, but I wonder why they would give Xan his special sword. It certainly fits his character quite well, though.

Volourn

Pretty Princess
Pretty Princess Glory to Ukraine
"but it's ultimately stupid in a world where resurrection is relatively common"

No, it isn't. On top okf that, ressurection/raise dwead in 2E isn't/wasn't automatic. You needed to pass your RS and you would lose con/level. Not to mention you the soul you are trying to raise has to WANT to come back and you have to have the body.

sO, STOP LYING AND MAKING STUFF UP, IGNORAMOUS.

"They are not "real" D&D games."

Yes, they are. Don't lie.

"TOEE is vastly superior in this department."

In some ways yes, in some ways no.

Last edited:
Self-Ejected

Lilura

RPG Codex Dragon Lady
I always thought a real D&D game had to be turn-based, until I played a few select mods for NWN that I felt were so close to the feel of PnP, it was eerie. Still, if ToEE had an Aurora-equivalent toolset things could have been better.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom