Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Divinity Divinity: Original Sin - Enhanced Edition

Jools

Eater of Apples
Patron
Codex 2014 Make the Codex Great Again! Insert Title Here Codex Year of the Donut Codex+ Now Streaming! Codex USB, 2014 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2
Well, D:OS2 has a bigger budget, better people on staff, more writers on staff, probably isn't going to have the story completely changed half-way though, probably won't have such shit RNG loot, etc. I'd probably stop dreading because it has a lot more going for it than the 1st time around.

They certainly have more people on the team, but that doesn't mean anything unless they are talented, intelligent and creative. They do have Avellone to hold the reins (if they have any modicum of self-awareness that's what they are going to let him do) and that makes me hopeful. Hope is a cruel mistress though, so we'll see :p

For the sake of all that is holy and sacred, I really hope not. I hope the limited budget allocated to having him on-board will only allow him to write one or two characters and a questline or two, all of which I'll be free to ignore.

Hell, I'm a storyfag and I prefer Larian's cheesy and amateurish attempts at humorous writing than the pseudo-deep and pseudo-meaningful, wannabe-eschatological tryhard pompous drivel that Avellone has been delivering recently. Sorry guys, I am full aware of the legions of fanboys we got on this very board, but Avellone has lost his shine, and anyway, he had at best been a "decent game writer", which is still a fairly sub-par kind of writer, when compared to "actual" writers.

Jools

Eater of Apples
Patron
Codex 2014 Make the Codex Great Again! Insert Title Here Codex Year of the Donut Codex+ Now Streaming! Codex USB, 2014 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2
Ban Jools!

Ban every fanboy from the MCA Appreciation Station thread, or at least force them to read a real book (not by Avellone/Gaider/Karpyshyn, I mean an actual goddam book).

PS - Sorry, J_C, nothing personal, just business. :M

Lacrymas

Arcane
Pathfinder: Wrath
It depends on what you mean by "book". I wouldn't consider GRRM's scribblings as a good example. Avellone isn't on the level of serious literature of course, but he's still the best we've got in this industry.

Jools

Eater of Apples
Patron
It depends on what you mean by "book". I wouldn't consider GRRM's scribblings as a good example. Avellone isn't on the level of serious literature of course, but he's still the best we've got in this industry.

Indeed GRRM's steaming shit doesn't really qualify, EVEN MCA is better than that.

About "best in this industry", that's being more and more debatable by the day, considering his latest works and some of his latest competitors out there...

Lacrymas

Arcane
About "best in this industry", that's being more and more debatable by the day, considering his latest works and some of his latest competitors out there...

Who do you think is his competitor now? I'm genuinely asking, it would be great if it's true.

Jools

Eater of Apples
Patron

Who do you think is his competitor now? I'm genuinely asking, it would be great if it's true.

Just off the top of my head. When they really want to, the guys at CDPR can pull off quite some decent stuff (both in terms of generic plot and writign style), and (I repeat myself) so definitively do the writers at Rockstar Games (at least those involved with the last GTAs). Honourable mention, even if occasionally feeling amateurish and clearly lacking some strong editing (which surely MCA gets), SitS was clearly written with heart and soul.

PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech Bubbles In Memoria A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.

Just off the top of my head. When they really want to, the guys at CDPR can pull off quite some decent stuff (both in terms of generic plot and writign style), and (I repeat myself) so definitively do the writers at Rockstar Games (at least those involved with the last GTAs). Honourable mention, even if occasionally feeling amateurish and clearly lacking some strong editing (which surely MCA gets), SitS was clearly written with heart and soul.
But do you know who any of the people who wrote anything at CDPR are? Right now they are just 'genric writers' nothing more than that. You don't even know if they've all left by now.

Jools

Eater of Apples
Patron

But do you know who any of the people who wrote anything at CDPR are? Right now they are just 'genric writers' nothing more than that. You don't even know if they've all left by now.

True, true, but that's actually what kinda irritates me the most about MCA fanboys. There are obscure video game writers out there, unknown to most, whose writing is objectively better than MCA's, and still a certain circle on the Codex (and off it) keeps praising him like he's the Jesus of videogame writing.

J_C

One Bit Studio
Patron
Developer
Project: Eternity Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath

True, true, but that's actually what kinda irritates me the most about MCA fanboys. There are obscure video game writers out there, unknown to most, whose writing is objectively better than MCA's, and still a certain circle on the Codex (and off it) keeps praising him like he's the Jesus of videogame writing.
That's obviously just a running joke here, you know it. Most people praise him for PST and Kotor 2 anyway. And although tere are writers out there who can write a story in a very good way, but MCA is still among the few who make most interesting characters out there. Yes, Grieving Mother and Durance were very interesting, fuck the haters.

Lacrymas

Arcane
Stop the quoting chain lulz. Not only does MCA think up interesting characters, he also knows the benefits of editing *cough* Hideo Kojima *cough* GRRM *cough*. I wouldn't say the writers at CDPR are something special, but the Rockstar guys have surprised me before. They are definitely not at MCA's best though. Yes, his recent offerings aren't on the same level as Torment or KotOR 2, but compared to everything else that is around them (I'm talking mostly about GM and Durance) they do shine. Not to mention that most of their content was cut.

Aenra

For anyone who is curious, the PS4 and Xbox ports have some game breaking issues and crashes that have yet to be resolved, but whatever :D
http://larian.com/forums/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Number=572207&page=32

Your having only 10 hours in tells me why you would shitpost the above. Fucking consoletards, even in the Codex. /pewpewpewpewpepew

(edit: no offense meant of course, i am sure you are an intelligent, sane and healthy individual that only happens to own a shitbox because i)it was "gifted" to you, ii)you just "happened" to find it in the trash, or iii)your girlfriend "insisted" you owned one)

Last edited by a moderator:

Stabwound

Arcane
I finally got a chance to play some of this. Really great game, but not really what I was expecting. I thought this was more of an open-world exploring game like the Ultimas considering the endless comparisons they made to Ultima during the KS campaign. But it's more like a slightly less linear Divine Divinity. Maybe it opens up more outside of the beginning town/area. I don't really want to know so don't tell me.

The combat is pretty great. I find it pretty difficult and ran into several dead ends I couldn't pass so far, currently the end of the Black Cove boss. I do wish the combat encounters went by a little more quickly though.

The one thing I have a major beef with is the inventory management. It's just atrocious, and managing/comparing equipment for 4 different characters where every single item you find is random is excruciating. Is there some magic trick I'm missing out on to deal with the inventory mess?

Abu Antar

Turn-based Poster
Patron
Enjoy the Revolution! Another revolution around the sun that is. Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
For anyone who is curious, the PS4 and Xbox ports have some game breaking issues and crashes that have yet to be resolved, but whatever :D
http://larian.com/forums/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Number=572207&page=32

Your having only 10 hours in tells me why you would shitpost the above. Fucking consoletards, even in the Codex. /pewpewpewpewpepew

(edit: no offense meant of course, i am sure you are an intelligent, sane and healthy individual that only happens to own a shitbox because i)it was "gifted" to you, ii)you just "happened" to find it in the trash, or iii)your girlfriend "insisted" you owned one)
It's funny when people complain about "consoletards" and then get upset when they see them playing games like Divinity. The world, sense it does not make.

Aenra

I'm just biased guys. Sorry. I bark but don't bite ^^
And i really am biased. You really should throw them all out the window. Consoles and pseudo-journo/blog/youtubetards, the cancer of the industry we've only ourselves to blame for.
Anyway, the reason i responded was because no, PS4 and Xbox ports are not as stable as the PC one. Not even near. We shouldn't give people the wrong impression.

Aenra

Is that butthurt J_C? How many days past, and you still can't let it go? You need to control your angst.
Tact, diplomacy, self-awareness, the ability to comprehend when your personal issues are that alone (personal). Qualities a wise(r) person should strive to possess.
I comprehend how in your universe of youtubing, attention whoring, pseudo-journoing mediaesque carnivals posting only to say "idiot" is standard practice. But this is not Youtube. Why don't you try stomping your foot down a bit, see if that helps. If all else fails, you can also involve my mother, there's a thought :)

edit: I'm on a break and am aware you lack the sufficient grey matter, so allow me to explain this further to you. In a conversation that yet again did NOT involve you (you fucking attention whore, twice you do this), you inject the fruits of your pathetically average intelligence. Which amounted to what, lol, typing one single word...
Now, in anticipation to your pathetic attempt at a counter-argument/your snail IQ being unable to grasp it: No. Unlike you, i tend to explain myself prior to swearing. As i have above. Something you (again, just like that other thread) failed to do. Hence the above, as i do sympathise, in terms of youtube attention whoring 'where you're coming from' and all that.

So please, help yourself. I've made the suggestion before, you should really attempt to stick to a 'ground' where you, the consoletard above and the millions of people you two relate with could congregate. You already frequent such 'avenues', so why not take the final step and restrict your attention whoring persona to those and those alone.

edit2: /cuck cuck cuck cuck cuck

J_C

One Bit Studio
Patron
Developer
Project: Eternity Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath
Is that butthurt J_C? How many days past, and you still can't let it go? You need to control your angst.
Tact, diplomacy, self-awareness, the ability to comprehend when your personal issues are that alone (personal). Qualities a wise(r) person should strive to possess.
I comprehend how in your universe of youtubing, attention whoring, pseudo-journoing mediaesque carnivals posting only to say "idiot" is standard practice. But this is not Youtube. Why don't you try stomping your foot down a bit, see if that helps. If all else fails, you can also involve my mother, there's a thought :)

edit: I'm on a break and am aware you lack the sufficient grey matter, so allow me to explain this further to you. In a conversation that yet again did NOT involve you (you fucking attention whore, twice you do this), you inject the fruits of your pathetically average intelligence. Which amounted to what, lol, typing one single word...
Now, in anticipation to your pathetic attempt at a counter-argument/your snail IQ being unable to grasp it: No. Unlike you, i tend to explain myself prior to swearing. As i have above. Something you (again, just like that other thread) failed to do. Hence the above, as i do sympathise, in terms of youtube attention whoring 'where you're coming from' and all that.

So please, help yourself. I've made the suggestion before, you should really attempt to stick to a 'ground' where you, the consoletard above and the millions of people you two relate with could congregate. You already frequent such 'avenues', so why not take the final step and restrict your attention whoring persona to those and those alone.

edit2: /cuck cuck cuck cuck cuck
See, once again you try to prove you intelligence by writing walls of text, making shit up (me? youtube? wtf?), meanwhile I sum up your IQ in one word: idiot. The reason for not making long winded arguments is simple. I don't have to. You call every console and console games garbage, and badmouthing everybody who is playing them, which is just plain idiotic. So for that, you are an idiot. But don't worry, there are many Codex wannabes in this forum, I'm sure they appriciate your edginess.

And again, you start calling me out of attention whoring, just because I reacted in this thread. Let me tell you something newfag. A forum is all about making posts, like many people do. If making a post means attention whoring, then everybody is an attention whore. So please just stop, you are making all the 2015 newfags look bad, and they have enough problems as it is.

Saxon1974

Prophet
Why can't I seem to stick with this game? I have restarted it 3 times and at about 20 hours I just lose interest. I like the game but for some reason I just get bored with it. I don't like the bulky WOW style graphics much, nor do I like the voice over very much but I do like the game but it just doesn't grab ahold of me like some of the older greats like Ultima V. Maybe its just lack of time and too.many choices. Anyone else have this issue?

Aenra

If i had to name an "issue", it would be the game's partly hand-holding me, partly making it way too easy for me to accomplish things in it.. while i too dislike toony graphics, i cannot say they're something that could demotivate me. Too superficial. Same with the voice-overs.

Anyway, in the off chance i'm not the only one in wait!
/crickets

Seems there really will be another patch for PC.. according to Raze, they still haven't finalised the changes so they still have some ways to go before it even enters their QA, which again according to Raze means another couple of weeks. Overall, say about a month at the least.
To those not following the thread, this additionally entails the EE's editor being pushed back, as they fear the new patch may break things with it. In its turn resulting in yet further delays ^^

I joked about it once, but it appears they are very close to making this happen.. Two whole goddam years after it launched before reaching a state where bugless + working editor (for everyone, not just Steam users)
I really hope the console porting was worth it financially speaking. Because reading their forum, my impression remains that it was a venture best left unembarked on. If it hasn't paid off in crispy tangible capital, all they got out of it was delays, pressure from an audience best used to other genres and a know-how they will never find a practical application for again [edit] unless the as of yet unnamed second project is 1st/3rd person.
:M

Saxon1974

Prophet
If i had to name an "issue", it would be the game's partly hand-holding me, partly making it way too easy for me to accomplish things in it.. while i too dislike toony graphics, i cannot say they're something that could demotivate me. Too superficial. Same with the voice-overs.

Anyway, in the off chance i'm not the only one in wait!
/crickets

Seems there really will be another patch for PC.. according to Raze, they still haven't finalised the changes so they still have some ways to go before it even enters their QA, which again according to Raze means another couple of weeks. Overall, say about a month at the least.
To those not following the thread, this additionally entails the EE's editor being pushed back, as they fear the new patch may break things with it. In its turn resulting in yet further delays ^^

I joked about it once, but it appears they are very close to making this happen.. Two whole goddam years after it launched before reaching a state where bugless + working editor (for everyone, not just Steam users)
I really hope the console porting was worth it financially speaking. Because reading their forum, my impression remains that it was a venture best left unembarked on. If it hasn't paid off in crispy tangible capital, all they got out of it was delays, pressure from an audience best used to other genres and a know-how they will never find a practical application for again [edit] unless the as of yet unnamed second project is 1st/3rd person.
:M
Yes I don't know if the graphics or voice overs turn me off, its probably a combination. I think they said the blocky graphics are out in DVO2. Good to hear. Part of my issue is too little time, too many games. Oh to be 12 and have an entire summer to play again!!!

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom