Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

The Witcher 3 Pre-Expansion Thread

typical user

Arbiter
Too bad the game does not look like the pre-release screenshots

Wiedzmin-3-Dziki-Gon2.jpg
Yeah it looks like shit

23388784589_e1db8266c4_k_d.jpg

20370101445_81be02ae48_k_d.jpg

23066064869_cf0a3d6f3c_k_d.jpg

20043842406_a713c73849_k_d.jpg

These look like 4k downscaled to FHD and photoshopped. Maybe they used different palette of colors and decided to change that or added new pos-processing effects.

Still it was a dick move from CDPR to advertise game as this, graphics-wise game still looks gorgous but if it were looking like on screenshots then it would require 3 TITAN X's to work.

Paul_cz

Arcane
These look like 4k downscaled to FHD and photoshopped. Maybe they used different palette of colors and decided to change that or added new pos-processing effects.

Still it was a dick move from CDPR to advertise game as this, graphics-wise game still looks gorgous but if it were looking like on screenshots then it would require 3 TITAN X's to work.

Those four I posted are taken by a gamer from final game, downscaled with some reshade applied, no photoshop. One 980 suffices if 30fps is acceptable, no Titan X, let alone three, needed.
I was mocking Makabb's tardness.

typical user

Arbiter
Those four I posted are taken by a gamer from final game, downscaled with some reshade applied, no photoshop. One 980 suffices if 30fps is acceptable, no Titan X, let alone three, needed.
I was mocking Makabb's tardness.

Oh, well then you made good job, I've fallen for that.

One 980 for 30fps? Novigrad and swamps are painful for fps so I thought that for 4k 60fps and beyond you need at least 2 overkill cards.

By the way patch 1.12 got released and... My game is broken because mods again don't work. What's the issue with their script compiler?

Makabb

Arcane
Shitposter Bethestard
I stopped playing pre 1.04 because with every patch they would bring additional featuers that were not finished for the game. How is it now with 1.12 ?

Carrion

Arcane
Patron
I stopped playing pre 1.04 because with every patch they would bring additional featuers that were not finished for the game. How is it now with 1.12 ?
Haven't tested the latest patch, but I think the one before that managed to finally fix most of the major bugs that were introduced with the previous patches. Many of the improvements are definitely worth a download, like improved optimization and shorter loading times, a separate inventory tab for books, added quick slots, Gwent difficulty setting and additional dialogue. There are some changes that I dislike (like making crafting ingredients weightless and increasing the mutagen drop rates so that you'll be swimming in them), but overall the patches do improve the game a whole lot.

Eirikur

Arcane
Patron
PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015
Have to hand it to the Polish people... they put a lot of work into their Witcher audiobooks. Never heard voice actors that immersed in an audiobook before.

Perkel

Arcane
that audiobook is amazing.
They cancelled it after i think half of book or something like that.

would pay 100$ for full saga like this.

Tytus

Arcane
They cancelled it after i think half of book or something like that.

WTF are you talking about?

They already made five Witcher audiobooks like that:

Last Wish, Sword of Destiny, Season of Storms, Blood of Elves and Time of Contempt.

And now they are making the sixth one. They have only three books left to do.

Tytus

Arcane
You're kidding, right? That Yennefer was fucking awful.

Actually it's one of the better Yennefers. She is played by Anna Dereszkowska

http://www.wymiarygwiazd.pl/images/galerie/anna_dereszowska/anna_dereszowska_1.jpg

anna_dereszowska_1.jpg

She very often plays "bitchy" characters and Yennefer is no exception. She very clearly fits the role (especially when you hear her performacne in Last Wish or Sword of Destiny).

She is also is attractive enough to play Yennefer in a movie, but that will never happen.

Gerrard

Arcane
I don't give a fuck how she looks or what characters she plays, that performance was shit.

Villagkouras

Arcane
So, I finished it today after almost 90 hours.

At first I regretted buying it. I thought it was too clumsy for my tastes. Oddly, I forced myself to continue and it payed off (alternative movement helps a lot).

As a story AAA game, it sets the standards of this gen. Great visuals, top notch storytelling. I loved the fact that the choices don't have pointing arrows, they are not forced on the player. As a result, the ending feels completely natural. I checked other endings and there was none I liked more than mine, even the subplots.

As an action game it has its flaws. Combat is not that good, compared to Dark Souls, for instance. I wouldn't mentioned this game if it wasn't its gameplay that CDPR wanted to copy. I would like to see more variation between enemies or at least in bosses. I didn't like the Witcher senses follow the tracks or scent type of gameplay too, I found it too shallow. Crafting was useless, but alchemy was better, but the UI didn't help particularly.

Despite its flaws, it's a solid 8/10 game, I can see that some players don't mind the issues I do and focus on the great aspects of the game like its visuals, story telling and atmosphere. All in all, if you want to experience an AAA game with top production values, the Witcher is the way to go.

typical user

Arbiter
So, I finished it today after almost 90 hours.

At first I regretted buying it. I thought it was too clumsy for my tastes. Oddly, I forced myself to continue and it payed off (alternative movement helps a lot).

As a story AAA game, it sets the standards of this gen. Great visuals, top notch storytelling. I loved the fact that the choices don't have pointing arrows, they are not forced on the player. As a result, the ending feels completely natural. I checked other endings and there was none I liked more than mine, even the subplots.

As an action game it has its flaws. Combat is not that good, compared to Dark Souls, for instance. I wouldn't mentioned this game if it wasn't its gameplay that CDPR wanted to copy. I would like to see more variation between enemies or at least in bosses. I didn't like the Witcher senses follow the tracks or scent type of gameplay too, I found it too shallow. Crafting was useless, but alchemy was better, but the UI didn't help particularly.

Despite its flaws, it's a solid 8/10 game, I can see that some players don't mind the issues I do and focus on the great aspects of the game like its visuals, story telling and atmosphere. All in all, if you want to experience an AAA game with top production values, the Witcher is the way to go.

Same opinion. The greatest flaws are dialogue system which has same problems like in Fallout 4 and lack of choices. It shouldn't be called RPG because most of the choices are on rails, you can't use other combat styles or anything. The game still has superb amount of content. It is just well made game but not well made RPG.

When I read what choices determine ending I was little upset. If you tell Ciri to calm down you will lose points towards good ending but if you start a brawl at circus with an elf then she doesn't mind. I wish the game had less scripting and combat open for non-witcher styles of combat with zwei-handers, shields, two swords, bows and some sneaking. Witcher sense was overused in my opinion but Murricans need big flashy quest markers or otherwise they will spam Metacritic and IGN.

Villagkouras

Arcane

Jools

Eater of Apples
Patron
Codex 2014 Make the Codex Great Again! Insert Title Here Codex Year of the Donut Codex+ Now Streaming! Codex USB, 2014 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2
I almost was gonna take you seriously, and I found myself agreeing with some of your points so far, but then I've read that line.
As I said, I'm mentioning Dark Souls because that's their inspiration according to the devs themselves and only that. I can provide a link when I get to pc. No other reason than that.

Edit: Here is the link, http://www.express.co.uk/entertainm...-Souls-big-influence-CD-Projekt-RED-Wild-Hunt

Well, my bad. good thing they really botched the copypaste, then. XD

I really agree with this bit of yours:

Villagkouras said:
I loved the fact that the choices don't have pointing arrows, they are not forced on the player.

I really loved how I was kind of fearful to make those choices because the outcomes were so unpredictable, not in a random way, but in terms of unforeseen consequences. Red Baron questline and Whispering Hillock quest are two great examples. Choosing one path or the other was just something scary, and felt "real". I actually felt kinda "engaged" with the game, which is something that happens rarely, very rarely.

Orma

Arcane
Patron
Torment: Tides of Numenera
Finished Hearts of stone a few hours ago, and it was fucking amazing. Definitely not regretting the decision to buy the season pass.

It's better than the main game itself, at least storywise.

Jezal_k23

Hey guys.

I just started this today and played through the prologue, just got out of the inn in white orchard and did the quest for the blacksmith. But before I start playing it for real I have to ask how to avoid getting over leveled and making the game a total joke for myself (playing on death march). I intend to pursue all of the content I can find, and thoroughly explore the world, but again I heard this just leads Geralt to becoming a total beast and the difficulty ends up a joke even on death march.

So should I not do everything I can? Should I avoid contracts or something? How do you recommend I handle this? What are the quests/content in general that give off too much XP?

Carrion

Arcane
Patron
But before I start playing it for real I have to ask how to avoid getting over leveled and making the game a total joke for myself (playing on death march).
The game will become a joke difficulty-wise sooner rather than later, and there's nothing you can do about it. Enjoy the tough fights while they last. Also, you shouldn't worry too much about overleveling yourself, as the game has a self-balancing system where you'll probably end up at around the same level at the end regardless of how thorough you are with the game. Some people have reportedly got seriously overleveled by the end, but they've probably done something pretty damn weird to get there, or they've used a mod of some sort.

It's hard to play the game in a way that doesn't result in you getting temporarily overleveled for either the main quest or most of the side quests, though. Clean out the first two big areas of XP by doing every quest there, and the third one will be way below your level. Follow the main quest requirements to the letter, and you'll just end up with a big bunch of side quests that will provide no challenge whatsoever. By far the biggest source of XP is the main quest, and it's just pretty hard to avoid doing that. There's really no proper solution to this, and it's not helped by the fact that the level requirements are pretty fucked-up in places: there are main quests that have a notably lower recommended level than the ones that came before it, and even by just following the main quest you'll almost certainly end up with a couple of levels above the recommendations for a good chunk of the late-game content. It's designed in a way that it's pretty much impossible to fail, which just isn't all that great for someone looking for a challenge.

One way to find some challenge later in the game is to choose monster contracts that are 5+ levels above you. Unlike some people wil tell you, there are ways for beating (most of) these fights, but they require proper preparation and can get pretty intense at times. It's pretty much self-imposed challenge, but if you put even a bit of thought into how to spend your skill points, even fights that are supposedly a couple of levels above yours will become rather easy when you get a bit further in the main quest.

Tytus

Arcane
One way to find some challenge later in the game is to choose monster contracts that are 5+ levels above you. Unlike some people wil tell you, there are ways for beating (most of) these fights, but they require proper preparation and can get pretty intense at times. It's pretty much self-imposed challenge, but if you put even a bit of thought into how to spend your skill points, even fights that are supposedly a couple of levels above yours will become rather easy when you get a bit further in the main quest.

That is true. I was in Novigrad on around level 12-14 (something like that) and I found the quest with that Tarantino Elf Swordsmith. The Quest was on level 24, normally I would drop it, but I was fed up with the fact that the game is telling me what I can or can't do. So I said fuck and started the quest. It was hard at first, but when I got the hang of my surrodings I was able to finish it. You just need to fight smart, use proper oils and potions and have skills equipped that will help you win the fight you got yourself into.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom