Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Inactive [LP CYOA] Overlord

lightbane

Arcane
While I understand you wish to impart into Arlin the virtues of ruthlessness and cruelty, as Nevill said just because Erd teaches him how to use his sword better, that won't turn him into a backstabbing maniac overnight. In fact, is is possible he would use his newfound skills with swords to develop non-lethal techniques and the like. I might be tempted to switch to C if only to see what can the kid come up, but even then it will not change much, the latest tally says A is dominant. Lastly, it is a bit irrelevant either way because either Aria or Lucy will be sent to meet the invaders adventurers (too bad we can't teach Summon Familiar to these two, it would help them a great deal to report back what they found.). Unless the next update says otherwise, Arlin is going to stay at Grahferde and then keep doing whatever he likes doing in his spare time.

Baltika9

Arcane
Lastly, it is a bit irrelevant either way because either Aria or Lucy will be sent to meet the invaders adventurers
Yeah, but that doesn't mean Arlin can't have a job to do during this whole operation just because he's not going on recon.
I might be tempted to switch to C if only to see what can the kid come up, but even then it will not change much, the latest tally says A is dominant.
Hey man, sometimes all you need is just one vote to win. I'm not saying this to pander for votes, but if just two people flop from A to C for Arlin, then C will lead by one vote.

Nevill

Arcane
Shadorwun: Hong Kong
I'm not saying this to pander for votes, but if just two people flop from A to C for Arlin, then C will lead by one vote.
It'd be a tie. :M

TOME BA B2 D
Kz3r0 BB B4 B
Azira AA B4 C
Gobblecock AA B4>A A
Karwelas BC B4 A
archaen BA A>B2 C
Kipeci CC B4 B
Nevill BA A>B2 B
Jester BA B4 B
Storyfag BA A B
lightbane C>B C, B2>B3>B1>C, B>A
ScubaV B>C B>A, B2>B4, A
Baltika9 AC B2 C
Esquilax BC B2 C
Kayerts A, C>A, A>B2, C>B>A>D
Grimgravy A>C, C>A, C>B4, B
Elfberserker AA C A

A - 6
B - 8 (9)
C - 3 (2) lightbane

A - 8 (9)
B - 2 (1) ScubaV
C - 7

A - 4 [p.5] (1) Nevill, archaen, Kayerts
B2 - 5 [p.8] (8)
B4 - 6 [p.8] (7)
C - 2 (1) Grimgravy

A - 4 [p.6]
B - 7 [p.8]
C - 5
D - 1
Frankly, I am in favor of developing Arlin along these lines (i.e. predominantly swordplay-oriented), but I don't treat this session as a final destination, and I definitely do not see him as a pure swordsman. He has a good head, he can do a lot of less conventional stuff with magic.

Last edited:

Baltika9

Arcane
Frankly, I am in favor of developing Arlin along these lines (i.e. predominantly swordplay-oriented), but I don't treat this session as a final destination, and I definitely do not see him as a pure swordsman. He has a good head, he can do a lot of less conventional stuff with magic.
Which is fair enough. But treave doesn't always offer the same trainign options twice in a row, so I'm in favor of taking the option that I think will help him shank a motherfucker while it's still there.

And to ask an off-topic question, treave, can either Arlin or Aria tell us if the boy avoids violent confrontations for any particular reason? Has he shanked a motherfucker to defend his sister before and feels guilty for it now, by chance?

Last edited:

lightbane

Arcane
Okay, I'll bite. I'll change my vote for the first option to C>B C, if only to see it goes somewhere and the kid learns his own animu technique (which is still unlikely). Therefore, my vote summary should show something like this: C>B C, B2>B3>B1>C, B>A.

lightbane

Arcane
Something worth mentioning is that by now both Aria and Arlin are (hopefully) stronger and better than they were before their training, so Arlin should be a way better fighter now, regardless if he ends up learning magic or focusing on his swordmanship, so there's your consolation prize, Baltika. Also, if he did kill someone at some point in the past to protect his sister but he feels guilty about it, it's unlikely Arlin will be willing to talk about the issue. Aria may be more forward about this, but even then it wouldn't be a surprise if she wishes to remain silent.

We need to keep working to fill up their "trust meter" to unlock their next companionship scene.

Last edited:

Nevill

Arcane
Also, if he did kill someone at some point in the past to protect his sister but he feels guilty about it, it's unlikely Arlin will be willing to talk about the issue.
Don't really believe that, no. The thing with Arlin is that he not only avoids violence ("I can, but I won't"), he looks like it is nigh impossible for him to get in a violent mood. Even when his life was on the line, he still didn't kill anyone and made no attempt to protect his sister. Aria did, though.

If anything, I would expect her getting overly protective and overstepping her boundaries in the past, rather than her brother.

Doubt that even if there were something, it was anything serious, though. Aria is confirmed to have her first kill during the battle of Erise.

Aria may be more forward about this, but even then it wouldn't be a surprise if she wishes to remain silent.
To be honest, Erdrick is not a very good listener. I wonder how long it will take him to ask what their issue with the village was.

We need to keep working to fill up their "trust meter" to unlock their next companionship scene.
I want to start regularly taking them with us on our missions as a part of their training.

Lucy is fine and dandy as a companion, but there is only so much character development you can convey through moos. The twins are somewhat more interesting in that regard. :M

treave

Arcane
Patron
Codex 2012
Aria’s Adventures I

The village was the same as it always was. Sleepy and kind. Warm and gentle. It had recovered quickly from the bandits’ raid, though there were still huts here and there that stood as no more than blackened husks, their inhabitants having perished in that battle. As Aria passed by the muddy roads on the way to the adventurers’ camp, she noticed that her former home was much the same. Memories of the man that she and Arlin had called father passed briefly through her mind, and her footsteps slowed down ever so slightly. This village… she did not like it much. Their kindness was given freely without recompense, unlike that of her master. It was a kindness that she could not bring herself to trust.

“Aria? Aria, is that you?”

Unable to ignore the persistent calls of the villager – it would attract too much attention should he follow her right up to the camp – Aria turned around with a sigh, tugging her hood ever lower over her face as she did so. “What is it?”

“Aria! I knew it was you!” said the tall, muscular youth cheerfully. “Did you come to run some errands?”

She stared blankly at the boy’s ruddy face until he blushed and coughed. Enfeld, son of the village’s chief, Enzel. He was about her age, and had been somewhat of a nuisance, always trying to talk to her about matters for which she cared little. For the briefest period, when he had found her and Arlin, and led them to a safe route out of the village during the attack, she had actually, temporarily, thought that he was more reliable than he first seemed. Those slightly thawing feelings of hers had not lasted long. Now that she had traveled far and wide with her master, a man of far more strength and competence than Enfeld could ever hope to be, she could not see him as anything but the child that he was.

“Uh… Aria?” asked Enfeld. “Are you hearing me?”

“I suppose,” she replied disinterestedly. “What do you want?”

“Well, I was just wondering, did you come here for some errands? Is there anything I can help with, yeah?” grinned Enfeld hopefully. “Do you need to carry some crops back? I have a cart now, we could load it, ride to your place together.”

Aria scowled at his silly grin, causing it to falter. The only time her master would put on a stupid smile like that would be when he was going to put his mark off guard, but she knew that Enfeld bore the smile genuinely. “I’m going to the adventurers,” she said.

“Them? Oh, what for?” he asked with real interest.

“None of your business, Enfeld.”

“O-Oh, right. You’re right, Aria. Sorry for asking,” he said bashfully. “Wasn’t my place to pry, I know.”

He apologized so easily. Her master would never do that, not without a hidden reason. “If that is all, I need to be going, Enfeld,” said Aria coldly as she turned away.

“Wait… wait! No, that’s not all! As it so happens, I’m bringing some food over to the adventurers! We could walk together!” called out Enfeld desperately.

She ignored him and continued walking. Unfortunately for her, he followed in her tracks, pushing his silly little handcart in front of him. Fortunately, she has had years of experience in shutting down his attempts at conversation. And unfortunately for her, again, he has had years of experience in blissfully not knowing when he was not wanted.

They approached the tall walls of stone surrounding the encampment – summoned by powerful adventurers overnight, according to Enfeld. There were two guards at the makeshift gate who appeared to be more soldierly than what Aria thought adventurers would look like. She had heard that there were regular Methussian soldiers accompanying the expedition: perhaps these were those.

“What’s this, two peasant lovebirds out on a task?” said one of the soldiers in friendly mockery.

“L-L-L-“ Enfeld blushed very redly and began stuttering, unable to complete even a single word.

As the guards laughed at his reaction, an annoyed Aria tried to recall what it is that her master had said. He had told her several ways of gaining access to the camp but had neglected to mention which he thought best. Of course, she knew that it was all a test for her. Her master never did, or not do anything thoughtlessly.

A. Prove her strength. If she attracted attention by besting the soldiers in a fight, she would quickly become the talk of the camp and be ushered in. The boost to her reputation would add persuasion to her words later on. Aria was confident that she could do this with no problems.

B. Talk her way in. She would offer information about a mysterious castle in the forest that may be of interest to the adventurers. This should gain her access to the camp as well as ensure she was well-positioned to guide the adventurers where her master wanted them. Aria was not as confident about a diplomatic method, but she knew that her master would vastly prefer this approach even if he had not said as much.

C. Leave, and sneak in over the walls later under the cover of darkness. She would use this time to scout out the walls and plan her entry later. Once she was in there, she could pretend that she was always there all along. Aria thought that this approach might work better for Arlin, who could be so quiet that a mouse would not see him, but she did not feel that she would fare any worse.

D. Pretend to be bringing the food together with Enfeld. It was an impromptu approach, one not planned for by her master, but this would allow her to enter the camp. Then she would just have to find a reason to stay.

You yawn. It is another long day ahead. You have a lot of things to do, like:

A. Playing cards with Rin. Of course, it will be a card game of your own devising.

B. Taking a walk around the village. You need to parade your majesty around the goblins once in a while.

C. Practice making handicrafts out of magical ice. They might be a good side-business in the future.

D. Sleep. Sleep is always good, and helps you think better.

lightbane

Arcane
VOTE SUMMARY:
1. B
2. A

Yay, an update at last! :incline:
And it is a shift to Aria's PoV, as I expected. I woonder what would have happened if Arlin or Lucy was sent instead of Aria. Either way, it seems Aria has a slightly idealized image of Erdrick.

Enfeld, son of the village’s chief, Enzel. He was about her age, and had been somewhat of a nuisance, always trying to talk to her about matters for which she cared little. For the briefest period, when he had found her and Arlin, and led them to a safe route out of the village during the attack, she had actually, temporarily, thought that he was more reliable than he first seemed. Those slightly thawing feelings of hers had not lasted long. Now that she had traveled far and wide with her master, a man of far more strength and competence than Enfeld could ever hope to be, she could not see him as anything but the child that he was.

Wasn't Aria herself like 14? I believe she's seeing Erd as something way more than a father figure, if you know what I mean. :M
Amusingly enough, Enzel's behaviour is the one I thought would Arlin have.

Of course, she knew that it was all a test for her. Her master never did, or not do anything thoughtlessly.
Oh dear, that's priceless. :lol: :lol: And Mercant's choices are epic.

Anyway, I vote for B for the first one, it exploits her strengths without going full retard. For the second one, I vote A, if only to see if we can trick Rin to play strip-poker. Although, I wonder how will that work considering her clothes are a solid illusion of sorts. There's only one way to find out. +M

Aria Heavensell
Lv. 1 Mystic Fighter
Vitality: F+++
Mana: E+
Physical Attack: F+++
Physical Defense: F+++
Magical Attack: E++
Magical Defense: E++
Agility: E
Charisma: C

I don't remember what her latest stats were before her class change, but they're a bit lacking. I was right we should have thrown her against a mountain. Still, she's given a pass for being young and having been trained only for a short time (for now).

Don't really believe that, no. The thing with Arlin is that he not only avoids violence ("I can, but I won't"), he looks like it is nigh impossible for him to get in a violent mood. Even when his life was on the line, he still didn't kill anyone and made no attempt to protect his sister. Aria did, though.

That makes him even more suspicious. What will happen when he does get angry? Is Arlin really the good person he appears to be?

To be honest, Erdrick is not a very good listener. I wonder how long it will take him to ask what their issue with the village was.

Blame the trauma of recent events and all of the stuff he had to take care of (and still does). A main character's life is a busy one.

Last edited:

Kipeci

Arcane
Mystic Fighter, huh? Thus far I have to say that I think I'd have preferred doing something else given their still shoddy stats, but maybe with a bit more autonomy they can be more trusted to operate on their own and out of our way. That could lead to faster development. Is 'Mystic Fighter' a term for one of those mage blade characters?

Aria's fixation on her 'master' is more than a little unhealthy. I thought that the village had done something terribly unjust to them, but I guess their only 'crime' was in being too weak to stop the raid? Aria certainly seems to be more of a dick than I thought before, and her sticking with Erd doesn't seem to be helpful for her mind. She's so worshipful of him that it's creepy, it's almost like she's one of the goblins. This can be a problem in the future, I'm certain of it.

Anyway, we didn't send her there to be incredibly sneaky or diplomatic, those are not her strengths. If she bests the guards in a friendly match and then states her case, the words of a trained fighter that saw something sinister in the forest with a reason to be there (training, adventuring, etc.) are much more credible than those of a scared little girl who could easily be making up something from a dream. It also doubles as further training for her, and if the squires are present then this approach fits in with their view of an ornery woodsperson with some skills in personal combat. If we try another approach, they may wonder why the fighting peasant is attempting to be a much more polite person to the authorities that she hates.

That said, I can also appreciate option D as it might force her to sand down her rougher edges to fit in with her mission. She's such an abrasive, harsh person that I think she'll cause trouble in the future if it's not headed off. Take the tussle over the fish, for instance. She allowed her distaste for the snooty authorities to totally override her mission and escalate into a fight, exhausting herself and forgetting that the point of her mission was to catch dinner. Now, it ended up okay because harvesting XP is always well and good, but imagine if she had been delegated a duty that we actually cared about as voters rather than the fish! While I think this option is better for Aria mentally, though, the fact is that the option A will make her stronger and do a better job of improving her credibility for our mission. I can't overlook that.

For these reasons, I'll have to vote for A > D for the first choice.

For the second one, I think I like the idea of basing a criminal/actual empire on funding from magical ice sculptures. It's also been a while since we had a chat with the goblins... we've been with Rin recently, and I just can't bring myself to ever pick the sleep option again. All of the options are very fun, though.

I'll go with C > B.

So that's A>D C>B for me.

archaen

Cipher
Patron
1. B > D. Center stage or bumpkin strategy.
2. A > B. I like spending time with Rin or the goblins.

Kipeci

Arcane
I dont see why Aria's mindset is a ptoblem for an... Evil Overlord.
She's focusing her utter loyalty towards a vision of Erd that doesn't actually exist, and this dedication has started to warp her life and set it on a different path. That's well and all while she's in a sort of honeymoon phase where Erd in his infinite wisdom can do no wrong, and probably when that wears off we'll still have a long while where she can do mental gymnastics when the reality of Erd is made to fit with her conception of him, but I don't know if it's eternally stable. Regret can be a powerful force, and I think she's sowing the seeds for it right now.

So I think that the most mentally healthy option for her is D, though I still contend that our best option for getting the plan done is A. I don't know if they'll bother listening too carefully to some wide-eyed peasant brat in B, but if she bests a few soldiers then she'll have a better reputation to stand on.

Esquilax

Arcane
Once she has allowed the guards to assign her face to the role of peasant, she remains a peasant. Breaking that cover to infiltrate them for a longer period means she explains why she isn't a peasant but consented to be thought one earlier, which goes to her credibility for all other claims.

I agree with this assessment. Yes, playing a peasant gets us in, but once we're in, our options are woefully limited.

I like the idea of talking our way in, but the problem is the sort of questions that might be asked of us. Once we're questioned, they'll no doubt try to uncover that Aria is a spy of some sort. That being said, without a clear way of linking us to Erdrick, this might be a good idea, even if it's not in Aria's wheelhouse. Besides, sometimes we're going to be confronted with situations that we're unfamiliar with and we'll need to think on our feet. I think that this is one of those times.

Fighting our way in is interesting, but I'm curious as to whether these guards are tougher than Aria thinks. She's brash and headstrong, plus she's just gotten done with a long period of training with Erdrick, so perhaps she could be underestimating the guards. This is speculation on my part, though.

As for the choice of what to do right now, sleep is the answer. Aria's mind needs to be sharp for this spy mission.

BD

Nevill

Arcane
Aria's fixation on her 'master' is more than a little unhealthy. I thought that the village had done something terribly unjust to them, but I guess their only 'crime' was in being too weak to stop the raid? Aria certainly seems to be more of a dick than I thought before, and her sticking with Erd doesn't seem to be helpful for her mind. She's so worshipful of him that it's creepy, it's almost like she's one of the goblins.
Unlike goblins, she has her own delusions of grandeur.

She wants to be powerful. The village can't grant her that. Thus it is of no interest to her.

I find it more of a problem that she attributes some kind of thought to our every action. Sometimes Erdrick just does things for fun, and it would not hurt her if she tried it out some time.

She's focusing her utter loyalty towards a vision of Erd that doesn't actually exist, and this dedication has started to warp her life and set it on a different path.
Yup. She does not really understand Erdrick, and yet she tries to put him on a pedestal as some kind of a role model.

I think we should extend Erdrick's helpful life advice (TM) to the second twin. :salute:

I don't remember what her latest stats were before her class change, but they're a bit lacking.
Aria Heavensell
Lv. 15 Fighter
Mana: E
Magical Attack: E+
Magical Defense: E
Agility: F+++
Aria Heavensell
Lv. 1 Mystic Fighter
Mana: E+ (+)
Magical Attack: E++ (+)
Magical Defense: E++ (++)
Agility: E (+)
A bit surprised there was no increase in attack/defence stats during general training, but it'll do.

I dont see why Aria's mindset is a ptoblem for an... Evil Overlord.
Tryhard villains are boring. Tryhard minions even more so.

Goblins can be boring. Slimes can be boring. But our personal charges? The ones we are training personally? It's blasphemy!

I agree with this assessment. Yes, playing a peasant gets us in, but once we're in, our options are woefully limited.
I think you are misrepresenting the option. We 'play' a peasant to the guards who have reached their conclusion on their own. Once we are in, we do not need to adhere to the role they attributed to us.

It does not contest anything, because I don't think we are even making any claims except that we are helping bring the food in.

It was theorized that there are squires who had seen us adventuring in the Slime Forest, so there are people inside who know that we can fight. It would depend on whether we want to announce our arrival right here and now, with no prior information, or if we want to find a pretext for our presence after we get in.

In fact, now that I think of it, I believe D actually offers more options. An aggressive approach would attract attention from everyone and make an impression of a troublemaker - which is what we are going for. There may or may not be people who could link us to Arlin, and that may or may not lead to certain complications.

Passing the guards quietly lets us in without a hitch. No one thinks twice about a girl who is assumed to be just another peasant. That allows us to pick and choose our encouters, as opposed to collecting everyone in one place (or whoever gets out to investigate the commotion). We may be able to ask the villagers first, meet the princeling (if he is into peasant girls or if his guards are slacking), meet with the squires and let them introduce us, or go straight to Alexander. It is pretty flexible.

It's a bit harsh on our lovestruck guy, though. May be a source of drama later on. :M

Last edited:

Esquilax

Arcane
It does not contest anything, because I don't think we are even making any claims except that we are helping bring the food in.

... Which implies that we are a servant of some sort. (i.e. nobody important)

Passing the guards quietly allows us in without a hitch. No one thinks twice about a girl who is assumed to be just another peasant. That allows us to pick and choose our encouters, as opposed to collect everyon in one place. We may be able to ask the villagers first, meet the prince, meet with the squires and let them introduce us, or go straight to Alexander. It is pretty flexible.

But that's exactly the issue - it doesn't allow us to pick and choose our encounters. Meeting the prince is out, because why would we be in position to have an audience with someone that high up in the first place? Alexander is out for the same reasons. I grant you that talking to villagers or perhaps finding the squires is a possibility, but that's about it. Establishing ourselves as someone of note who can be useful means that we have access to the people who are running shit around here.

Nevill

Arcane
... Which implies that we are a servant of some sort. (i.e. nobody important)
To the guards, who forget about us after 10 minutes, leaving us to operate freely.

Are we trying to impress the guards, or do we have another mission here?

But that's exactly the issue - it doesn't allow us to pick and choose our encounters.
It does.

Meeting the prince is out, because why would we be in position to have an audience with someone that high up in the first place?
He sees the 'prettiest maiden' in the village and comes over to flirt.

Alexander is out for the same reasons.
Alexander is the one who knows Arlin and is very interested in Trider and his aid to the expedition. He may recognize Aria and desire to talk to her himself, and the rest would depend on how we play it.

Same is true about Elmont, though for different reasons.

Establishing ourselves as someone of note who can be useful means that we have access to the people who are running shit around here.
There are various strengths to Aria that make her 'someone of note'.

She is strong enough to beat Eileen. That places her above the rest of the peasants if Eileen or her squad are here and recognize us.
She is pretty. That opens several other avenues, though her brash manners actively harm any attempts to charm her way through problems.
She knows Erdrick/Trider. Yet another option to pursue, though it may also bring trouble.
She is native to the village.

I think you are downplaying quite a few of them.

Really, though, the thing I like about D is out-of-the-box thinking, which is a trait I highly approve of in Arlin, and strive to cultivate. Using accidental meetings to one's advantage instead of sticking to a single plan over and over again is never a bad thing.

Forcing her way in is very 'Arian', but I don't want her to be a one-trick pony.

Last edited:

ScubaV

Prophet
AA - let Aria play to her strengths and let Erd spend some more time with his waifu.

Baltika9

Arcane
Really, though, the thing I like about D is out-of-the-box thinking, which is a trait I highly approve of in Arlin, and strive to cultivate. Using accidental meetings to one's advantage instead of sticking to a single plan over and over again is never a bad thing.

Forcing her way in is very 'Arian', but I don't want her to be a one-trick pony.
Aria isn't Arlin, though. They both have their own strengths and weaknesses, but they are different people at the end of the day. Brute force and its many creative applications are what makes her special, just like Arlin's habit of thinking before he acts does for him. And since we decided to set proud, domineering Aria down the path of a battlemage, then let's roll with that.
If we wanted some stealth work done, we should have the future spy master.
Besides, I don't want this turbodweeb connecting Aria to him and us, by extension.

Last edited:

Nevill

Arcane
Aria isn't her Arlin, though.
No, but using one's head oven one's fists never hurt anybody.

Brute force and its many creative applications are what makes her special
We have Rin for that, and I am failing to see the creative part. Rather, I see that being a pure bruteforcer is a big downside. Can't delegate to her any sensitive stuff that does not involve bashing heads in.

The thing that separates Aria from Arlin is that she loves fighting, yes. It doesn't mean that she should not aspire to be anything greater than a fighter.

If we wanted some stealth work done, we should have the future spy master.
It has nothing to do with stealth work and spying. Or do you see anything but A as stealth just because it is not going through the front doors and punching people?

Sounds to me like you are limiting the character rather than focusing her.

Besides, I don't want this turbodweeb connecting Aria to him and us, by extension.
He'll be used and discarded, as all turbodweebs are meant to. :salute:

Last edited:

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom