Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Inactive [LP CYOA] Overlord

treave

Arcane
Patron
Codex 2012
Adventurers’ Advent

With a sweep of your leg, you knock Arlin off his feet. Aria is still on her knees, panting heavily as she tries to recover her breath. “Aren’t… aren’t you pushing us a little too hard, Master?” gasps Arlin as he rubs his behind. They had been attempting to put a scratch on you for well over two days now. The boy and his sister can barely keep their eyes open; the only thing keeping them going is their adrenaline-fueled desperation, driven by the looming possibility of taking a trip to the regeneration pod. Of course, the difference in ability and raw strength aside, it was not fair simply because of the fact that you do not need to sleep much. Food and drink and sleep are something you do out of bodily habit and because it is pleasant, not because it is necessary. You do not need it. They, on the other hand, do.

“Suffer now and reap the benefits later,” you say. “Have I told you about the story of the boy who worked hard until he could fight a demon general? The heir to a wealthy merchant family, his town was burnt down by an invading horde of monsters. All for revenge, the driven boy trained so hard that he barely got an hour of sleep every day, fueled by potions to keep him going. In a month he made so much progress that he went from being a spoilt brat to being able to take on his hated foe.”

“Are you talking about yourself, Master?” asks Aria.

“What? No. Of course not! That’d be stupid. I was the one who gave him those potions in the first place, and for free too. They didn’t come cheap, I can tell you that. Suffering through the initial loss, I reaped the benefits when he almost, but not quite, defeated the demon general. The evil demon was weakened enough for me to make my dashing appearance, dealing the easy final blow to save him while getting all the credit. The boy was very grateful after that.”

“Really?” asks Rin, who has just arrived. “I didn’t know you started so young.”

“You’re never too young for this,” you shrug. “Best to start at an early age, it gives you more of an advantage through experience.”

“I see.” Rin nods her head sagely. “I understand.” She is smiling, though for what reason you do not know. It unnerves you slightly, and again you feel that discomforting lurch in your stomach. Having taken an interest in your training of the twins, the demon princess has been spending more time around you recently. In any other circumstance you would have seen it as an opportunity, but with how you are now, it is only a terrible waste.

“Anyway,” she continues, “there’s news from Erise. I thought you would like to know immediately.”

“The villagers? What have they to say?”

“A passing merchant has informed them of the adventurers’ expedition. They have left the capital and are on their way here. Seeing as Erise is the nearest known village to their destination, it is likely they will establish their main encampment thereabouts. There are around fifty adventurers of all stripes. Accompanying them are a company of about a hundred soldiers and a handful of knights.“

“That is quite the sizeable force,” you say.

“That’s not all. They are also led by Prince Feyton Yuiry.”

“Not a name I’ve heard of. A bastard child of the king’s?” you suggest.

“He seems to be the Crown Prince’s son, so it would be the king’s grandchild” says Rin. She giggles. “Of course, it would be interesting if he was a bastard son conceived by the king and his son’s wife, wouldn’t it?”

“Another one? And we still have that brat from the bandits to deal with,” you sigh. Arlin flinches at your words – he has been worried about her for some time. You will have to check up on his progress later. As for this prince, he might have been sent here to coup some cheap glory. The wheels of your mind begin to turn as you consider the possible scenarios and their benefits.

“Aria, Arlin,” you call out.

Arlin gets unsteadily to his feet. So does Aria, with a more determined look in her eyes.

“Get some rest for today. General training is over. Tomorrow we begin your specialized training.”

As the twins walk off, bantering as they do so, you look at the village and the small army of golems busy at work. There are still things to do – the geopolitical situation of the region is more complicated than you had originally suspected, there is some mysterious Dark Lord carefully avoiding human attention and approaching the monsters, shady cloaked figures are poking their intrusive little fingers into every little thing – and above all else your condition is still nowhere near a cure. Still, you have made advances in some areas. Fortunio’s thieves are steadily expanding their reach. You have established a partnership with the slimes and the Governor of Ontoglia. Your reputation as Trider Muhchacraken is terrible, but infamy is - in its own way - just as useful as fame of the good sort, as long as you are able to leverage it properly.

And now, with the adventurers coming your way, and a prince tagging along with them, you have a new opportunity to exploit.

But first, now that you have sent the twins off, it is time for some well-deserved rest…

---CHAPTER END---

Last edited:

Nevill

Arcane
Shadorwun: Hong Kong
"The boy was very grateful after that.”

“You’re never too young for this,” you shrug. “Best to start at an early age, it gives you more of an advantage through experience.”

“I see.” Rin nods her head sagely. “I understand.” She is smiling, though for what reason you do not know. It unnerves you slightly, and again you feel that discomforting lurch in your stomach.
Kipeci was right. We should have sent her away. It is the only way this would finally end. :negative:

Edit: heh.
Methuss Kingdom: -30 (Shunned) [-2]
Erise Village: +25 (Accepted)
Ontoglia: -25 (Shunned) [-10]
Capital City Yuiria: -55 (Disliked) [-5]
Fortress Naguria: -75 (Hated)
Tradestown Velburg: -30 (Shunned) [-5]

Barzam Ecclesiocracy: -50 (Disliked)
Dijeh Kingdom: 0 (Neutral)
Galbaldy Kingdom: 0 (Neutral)

Adventurer's Guild: -10 (Neutral) [-5]
Nine-Fingers: +10 (Neutral) [+10]

Nevill

Arcane
So... the choice about the golem specialization back when we created them. What did it affect? treave?

If we got 3 builder golems, would we have more projects by now? Or does it affect the distribution between our 150 golems? Or what was it for?

treave

Arcane
Patron
Codex 2012
So... the choice about the golem specialization back when we created them. What did it affect? treave?

If we got 3 builder golems, would we have more projects by now? Or does it affect the distribution between our 150 golems? Or what was it for?

If you got 3 builder golems you'd have even more golems now. Right now it's still an equal mix. We'll address the specialization choice later, it's not too important at this stage.

Kipeci

Arcane
If you got 3 builder golems you'd have even more golems now. Right now it's still an equal mix. We'll address the specialization choice later, it's not too important at this stage.

Called it. :argh: At least the hundred golems that are okay or skilled at combat can help to guard the village if there's some sort of intruder or something.

I was expecting many more adventurers and soldiers to tag along than this. They've only recruited ten more adventurers than the time that Alexander approached us, and the army's reinforcements aren't that many in number. The main problem is likely to be in if we have adventurers splitting off and stumbling across something they shouldn't, not so much in our ability to convert them to XP. I'd recommend going on a hunting trip with our slimes on board whenever any of them separate from the main group, allowing us to level up our slimes and bring them to their greater potential more quickly so that they can be a bit more autonomous without us worrying about them dying. If the main group gets too close to the village, have the village turn on the magic shield and nuke the invaders with Gigadyne just to be sure.

treave, have our goblins ever encountered any further signs of the Minotaur Firelord that was suggested to be capable of regenerating? And how did the governor respond to us handing over all those agents? Now that we have our understanding, I'd like to cultivate a bit of a better relationship with him than we've had in the past.

lightbane

Arcane
Yay, an update at last! And the chapter's closure to boot! :incline:

Of course Rin would start showing interest on what Erdrick is doing, now that he's impotent. :lol: Wait, what? if I got this right, Erd has been "only" brutally beating training the children for two days non-stop? Weak, I expected something way more abusive intense, considering the anime factor (IE: forcing the kids to fight a regenerating monster... but without weapons able to stop its regeneration factor). And what's wrong with the regeneration machine? A bit odd that Brobatos doesn't say anything, I expected he would have offered advice or something. Speaking of which, treave, what happened with Amesdan's interrogation?

I suppose you're going to answer all of these questions at the start of the next chapter, which is fair enough.

Nevill

Arcane
I wonder what she finds interesting in that we are training the kids. Does she want to pitch in or something? :M

It looks like we'll see those specialized character classes people were talking about.

Hm, it would be interesting to see how old that Feyton is. Feist is what, 34? That should make his son about 15 or so. Some leader, hah. Do we have him join the club as well? :lol:

Kipeci

Arcane
Almost everyone in our group is either below twenty or really old... speaking of which, did we ever figure out what was going on with Zayan? She was supposed to have built something to torch a Byarlantian fleet more than fifty years ago, if I recall correctly. Maybe it's just a matter of her elven heritage?

lightbane

Arcane
There's the "anime aesthetics" reason. Both Erdrick and Rin have superhuman strength and endurance, yet it is doubtful their bodies are walls of muscle (especially for the latter). Characters who practice supernatural martial arts and/or learn magic/chi/aura manipulation usually don't look too beefy as well.

Hm, it would be interesting to see how old that Feyton is. Feist is what, 34? That should make his son about 15 or so. Some leader, hah. Do we have him join the club as well?
It would be luzly if Erd ends up constantly recruiting children for his cause, yes. Should we somehow end up doing so and get a large enough party, I say we call them the "Children's Crusade".

Last edited:

Baltika9

Arcane

“I see.” Rin nods her head sagely. “I understand.” She is smiling, though for what reason you do not know
Haha, she actually approves of this shit. Truly, Erd and Rin are a match made in Heaven.

treave

Arcane
Patron
Codex 2012
treave, have our goblins ever encountered any further signs of the Minotaur Firelord that was suggested to be capable of regenerating? And how did the governor respond to us handing over all those agents? Now that we have our understanding, I'd like to cultivate a bit of a better relationship with him than we've had in the past.

No signs of the minotaur. The governor was not very happy at having to deal with the agents but took it in stride when you took care of the tricky part of transporting them.

Speaking of which, treave, what happened with Amesdan's interrogation?

What would you like to know? He's just an adventurer caught up in things beyond his ken.

Since muscle growth is the regeneration of damaged muscle cells, a regeneration machine could fit 12 work-outs into a single day without overtraining, and cause an almost instant swoleness if insulin levels and protein intake were kept high. There is no reason for either Aria or Arlin not to be walking slabs of beef if we are closely integrating the regeneration machine into the drills to shorten their exercise recovery times.

Regeneration magic, being magic and all that, does not seem to operate on the principles of merely accelerating the natural bodily capacity for healing. If that were the case, it would leave scars and also be unable to regenerate entire body limbs out of thin air. From its observed feats, the action is more akin to restoration and not repair. Even if abusing regeneration does not wipe out all the gains they would normally get, the process of being a 'walking slab of beef' requires a rather specific work-out regimen. I'm not sure why they would be put on such a regimen, particularly since strength training only correlates to muscle mass up to a certain extent, and then you hit the limitations of how the joints work. Much better to train their magic RPG muscles in a way that rapidly increases muscle density with correspondingly lesser gain in size. It might even be realistically possible if you take the rumours of myofibrillar hypertrophy floating around swoleness communities as truth. :M

There's the "anime aesthetics" reason.

It's not really limited to anime or JRPGs. A D&D character with 25 strength will not have muscles that look proportionate to what 25 strength can do. He wouldn't be able to move otherwise. The Hulk is a giant mass of muscles but if you think about it, that isn't actually anywhere near enough size to lift mountains either if we are assuming that it is regular human muscle. Magic muscles, that's what they all are.

Last edited:

Karwelas

Dwarf Taffer
Patron
Codex Year of the Donut I helped put crap in Monomyth
Magic muscles, that's what they all are.

Did someone said... MUSCLE WIZARD?

Muscle_wizard.jpg

Nevill

Arcane
What would you like to know? He's just an adventurer caught up in things beyond his ken.
I think he meant Tenya that we left for Runde to question because we were lazy. :M

I am a bit curious about the difference between Runde and Aria as her 'interrogators'. I wonder if the girls would be able to hit it off, or if it would only cause trouble, what with one capturing the other, and Arlin stuck between the two of them.

Eh, guess we'll know where we stand with that family when it comes to dealing with their bandits again.

Kipeci

Arcane
No signs of the minotaur. The governor was not very happy at having to deal with the agents but took it in stride when you took care of the tricky part of transporting them.
That's a shame. I thought he might be able to find a use for them since it seemed he was willing to pay for it, but looking back with this in mind I guess that was more of Erd unloading dirty work on him and leaning on their relationship to be paid for the privilege. That was a mistake, we ought to have just taken them back and fed them to the slimes. We'll just have to be extra careful with the governor in the future, I guess.

Nevill

Arcane
That was a mistake, we ought to have just taken them back and fed them to the slimes. We'll just have to be extra careful with the governor in the future, I guess.
Not really. We did exactly what he asked us to do, and that was 'do whatever you want to as long as they do not report'. That part of the bargain is fulfilled to the letter.

looking back with this in mind I guess that was more of Erd unloading dirty work on him
:lol::lol::lol:

We are not his personal assassin and I do not intend to do his dirty work for free, especially when not required to.

If we had a personal interest in these people (as hires/slaves/guinea pigs/slime food), we could have taken them as a part of the payment. If not, they are his to deal with as he pleases. If he wanted them dead, he could either say so (which is a wholly separate favor) or he could kill them all himself.

That is no more of a mistake than asking to pay for Ellen's treatment instead of writing an apologetic letter and hoping that a goodwill will turn into payment all by itself.

I still think he may use them eventually, otherwise he'd murder them all while Ellen was asleep and spare himself the trouble and the money.

Last edited:

Azira

Arcane
Patron
Codex 2012
He oversees mining, right? [innuendo]I'm pretty sure he has a deep, dark and damp shaft they're going to study the insides of...[/innuendo]

lightbane

Arcane

So? He still has some info useful for us (besides what Zay got from him). I mean stuff like what's this planet's name, places of interest (with "interest" meaning it has things to loot or deadly monsters lurking here), what does he know about the other countries and the Adventurer's Guild, if he found Angels during his travels, if he met any female Angel and if so, where we can find her, if he knows some sort of ancient prophecy dealing with the end of the world and heroes and, lastly but not least, if he would be willing to teach us his martial magic style (although I believe I know what would be his answer to this one :lol:). Also, it may be worth asking him about other Demons, so that Rinni feels less lonely.

Karwelas, don't try to upload pictures from 4chan, they don't let you do that since they block the image, in case you haven't noticed. Also, this is a real muscle wizard:
Flex+Mentallo1of4+-+03.jpg

Fun fact: Assuming Erdrick did train his charges for nearly two days non-stop, that means he's been doing hard work, without resting and without looking for an excuse to be lazy! No wonder Rin is impressed at these changes. He also seems to begin suffering less and less from common meatbags' weaknesses such as the need to sleep, drink and eat. Perhaps Angels are solar-powered?
Still, it seems every chapter is going to end with him going to rest for one reason or another.

PS: I hoped treave would post the beginning of the next chapter and/or an intermission shortly after his last update, just like he did with the first chapter, but it doesn't seem to be the case. A pity.

Last edited:

Nevill

Arcane
So? He still has some info useful for us (besides what Zay got from him). I mean stuff like what's this planet's name, places of interest (with "interest" meaning it has things to loot or deadly monsters lurking here), what does he know about the other countries and the Adventurer's Guild
Ah, adventurer stuff. I approve.

Wist gave us a lead to the slimes, and goblins to the dryads, so there may be some others to pursue as well. Maybe not even in this kingdom.

Then again, we may have our hands full with Methuss' internal matters. Looks like every minor and major power took an interest in this poor kingdom for some reason.

Still upset about skipping Yuiria on the flimsy basis. When we are going adventuring, we almost never complete the missions with the goals fulfilled as stated in the briefing. We went to Erise to pop moles and ended up saving Farland, the twins and Lucy who we didn't even know were there. We went to Ontoglia for magnatite and found Zayan. Who knows what we would have found in the capital if we went there? Maybe a mercenary Queen from Galbaldia or Nine Fingers trying to smuggle an artefact weapon out of the city. Ah, the wasted possibilities we'll never find out about. :(

I wonder if Esquilax regrets not improving ties with Erise now that the kingdom uses it to station their forces there. Yet another option that had far-reaching consequences that were not apparent at the time.

I'd probably take every other adventuring option if it were up to me. They are more fun than Empire building anyway. :M

He also seems to begin suffering less and less from common meatbags' weaknesses such as the need to sleep, drink and eat.
We established that when he went to meditate for a week. I think he was that way from the beginning, he just didn't notice it immediately.

Last edited:

Baltika9

Arcane
Still upset about skipping Yuiria on the flimsy basis. When we are going adventuring, we almost never complete the missions with the goals fulfilled as stated in the briefing. We went to Erise to pop moles and ended up saving Farland, the twins and Lucy which we didn't even know were there. We went to Ontoglia for magnatite and found Zayan. Who knows what we would have found in the capital if we went there? Maybe a mercenary Queen from Galbaldia or Nine Fingers trying to smuggle an artefact weapon out of the city. Ah, the wasted possibilities we'll never find out about. :(

I wonder if Esquilax regrets not improving ties with Erise now that the kingdom uses it to station their forces there. Yet another option that had far-reaching consequences that were not apparent at the time.

I'd probably take every other adventuring option if it were up to me. They are more fun than Empire building anyway. :M
Adventuring is for finding new opportunities (like we did with Erise, the first trip to the capital and the slime forest), empire building is for building on those opportunities. I want to be more hands-on with the 4X aspect of this LP. But, sure, we can take every other adventuring opportunity.
+M

Nevill

Arcane
Adventuring is for finding new opportunities
The thing is, you never know what opportunities are there. Our trip to the capital ended abruptly without us exploring anything about it. The second trip could have remedied that.

I want to be more hands-on with the 4X aspect of this LP.
How do you imagine that?

So far we've delegated our industrial sphere to Zayan almost completely, and I do not intend to take it back anytime soon. The expansion of our sphere of influence is happening naturally during the adventures (Fortunio, Slimes, Ontoglia). The alternative to adventuring is hands-on troops training, and spell research, none of which seem comparable to me.

Like in Legend, even the best Zhang Jue training pales in comparison to what you find on the road.

Baltika9

Arcane
It's actually pretty similar to what a 4X, space or ground based, is like. We choose the general direction of our development by issuing construction and research orders, decide on troop movements and exploration and, sometimes, join them as a commander unit. Granted, it feels more like a text-based HoMM3 than CIV at this point, but that's because we're still small time.
What I don't want to happen is us completely delegating the management to our advisers and adventuring exclusively. I still want to decide on general policy and engage in political machinations and, yes, lead the troops in battle should we be put in such a position.
The thing is, you never know what opportunities are there. Our trip to the capital ended abruptly without us exploring anything about it. The second trip could have remedied that.
That's because we dun fucked up.

Kipeci

Arcane
PS: I hoped treave would post the beginning of the next chapter and/or an intermission shortly after his last update, just like he did with the first chapter, but it doesn't seem to be the case. A pity.
Relax, he only put it out yesterday and this is a time for treave to recharge. It's great when he has the time free and is fired up enough to continue straight away, obviously, but I don't think we should take that for granted.

archaen

Cipher
Patron
Guys, the minotaur is obviously Lucy. We will come back from some adventure and there will be a cow sized cocoon in our bedroom before the Iron Bull-esque manifests all over our angelness.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom