Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Game News Torment Kickstarter Update #53: Beta Released

Bladderfish

Augur
You know, the portraits are atrocious and all that (and I mean really, really bad; compare Icewind Dale portraits to these: no comparison), but has anyone actually played the beta yet? Any thoughts about the actual beta in this beta thread?

No?

Okay, back to the portraits then.

ZagorTeNej

Arcane
Last of Mohicans dude was badass. Native americans are just lame when Hollywood make them wise magic indians or whining butthurt manginas.

One decent representation concerning video games is Prey (where protagonists' Native American ethnicity is integrated into the gameplay), underrated game and one of the last good FPSes before the genre went linear corridors route.

LeStryfe79

President Spartacus
Codex 2012 Serpent in the Staglands Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Codex USB, 2014 Shadorwun: Hong Kong
There is a lack of creativity here, though. That is a concern.

Now I'm gonna take it a step further. These look like lazy stereotypes a bunch of middle aged white men concocted to look cool. I hope I'm wrong, but that's what it looks like. Sorry.

Last edited:

Trashos

Arcane
Tags: Chris Keenan; Colin McComb; InXile Entertainment; Torment: Tides of Numenera

Shortly after the IGN demonstration yesterday, Brian Fargo announced that the Torment: Tides of Numenera beta was going to be released to eligible backers today. And well, now it has. The new Kickstarter update has the details, along with a description of the three companions players will meet in the beta. I'll quote that part here:

Aligern

Aligern is one of the first companions the Last Castoff will meet. He's a snappish, world-weary nano who doesn't suffer fools or waste time on matters he considers trivial. Despite this rough exterior, Aligern has a deep moral core, and his innate sense of right and wrong guides every decision – and he's not shy about letting others know when they've stepped out of line.

Aligern wears a long, dark coat and rugged traveling boots that have worn countless miles under their soles. As a nano, he's got extensive experience with the numenera. He wears a lattice of moving tattoos across his forearms that shift and weave around each other, which he can use to attack his enemies or to defend himself against attacks. Unlike some other nanos, he's not afraid to get his hands bloody, wading into melee combining useful esoteries with his trusty mace.

Callistege

As the Last Castoff wakes to consciousness, Callistege is there, watching, calculating. She's an associate of the Order of Truth, and she holds the accruement of knowledge as one of the paramount pursuits. She is known to be amoral, calculating, and manipulative, and she has cultivated a reputation for incisive brutality. Those who know her do not cross her, and some have suggested that this is precisely the outcome she was aiming to achieve. She is morally flexible in her pursuit of hidden truth.

And she does seem to have found secrets better left hidden. She is multi-dimensional... literally. Echoes of her flicker in and out of reality around her. Each of these "sisters" wears her signature elaborate dress, mirroring her actions, deviating in ways both subtle and obvious. In battle, she fights with a mix of nano abilities and ranged attacks, and is able to use her sisters to "teleport" herself from place to place to avoid taking damage.

Callistege's response to the Last Castoff is more outwardly sympathetic, encouraging the Last Castoff to experience and learn from the world... but those who know her would suspect her all the more because of this. What are her motives?

Tybir

Tybir is a glad-handing and garrulous old mercenary, quick with a joke and an offer to buy the next round. He has stories to tell, having served as both soldier and gallowglass, and he's frequently the life of the party. He's always looking for fresh opportunities for profit, fame, and fun... not necessarily in that order.

Tybir wears the practical clothes of a soldier, but in garish colors – a long leather coat, baggy pants, open shirt and belted equipment, all with a casual flair. He's handsome, and many have found him charming, but now that he's older, more dissipated, and thicker around the waist, his charm seems to be slipping away from him. He favors the simpler tools of a soldier in combat, but he's never far from using a dirty trick or insult to even the odds.

With the Last Castoff, Tybir is friendly, outgoing, and eager to please. This might have something to do with the imminent execution of Tybir's most recent associate...
The Torment beta is now available to eligible backers on the Rewards page at the game's backer portal, with a free Pat Rothfuss comic as an added bonus. I wonder how many of them will really dive into it. This is one hell of a game to spoil, after all.

The black dude looks like the epitome of cool. What is a black Franklin Payne doing in a Torment game?

Don't know, these portraits and NPC descriptions worry me a bit. I expected tormented souls as followers. I 'll try to keep an open mind.

Esquilax

Arcane

Crescent Hawk

Cipher
I bet something like Botanicula will leave a stronger impression as a surreal exotic experience than TON. We shall see.

Here I thought the first companions were going to be a mad nano virus maskerading as a person, a crystal entity lifeform and a blind human prophet with no tongue who speaks by telepathy.

Crescent Hawk

Cipher
Let's not get too crazy here.

BUT I WANT CRAZY
moebius2.jpg

I want what they advertise with Numenera but never actually happens, just becomes typical high fantasy.

Kev Inkline

Arcane
Patron
A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.

What the hell is with all of the urban youth in role playing games? Those people only make up 13% of the US population, so it's retarded that 1 out of 6 characters in games these days are.

17% of video game characters when only 13% of the US population is black? SJW's have gone too far!
Also, I've yet to see an elf, and rpgs are typically full of them. Biased, if you ask me.

Fairfax

Arcane
pstcompanions3gsiz.jpg

Why couldn't they do crazier stuff like PS:T? Doesn't Numenera have other species?
I mean, if they have enough time and resources for this...
126065.jpg

DosBuster

Arcane
Patron
The Real Fanboy
Codex USB, 2014
That's not inXile though, and besides, aiming to replicate exactly what made that game great is not a good idea. To be fair, this is pretty early stuff, I imagine the Bloom is where the weirdness will really shine.

Invictus

Arcane
The Real Fanboy
Divinity: Original Sin 2
You niggas are crazy, actually getting to play with Billy Dee Williams!
Sign me up!

Last edited:

Prime Junta

The narrator rocks. I want all my games narrated by him from now on.

The beginning of the game is lacking the marvelous, colossal WTF of PS:T.

When I first woke up on that slab, I really had no fucking clue what was going on or what that floating skull was blabbing about, and taking apart zombies, disguising myself as one, getting stitched up by a weird yellow-eyed pointy-clawed hag, while listening to Morte's cheerful necrophilia communicated just how out-there the thing is, and introduced the crucial twists and background in an organic, "show, don't tell" way. And I didn't really find out what the hell those shadows that kept dogging me really were until damn near the end of the game.

In T:ToN however, I immediately get an infodump on The Changing God, The Sorrow, Sorrow fragments, the fact that I'm a Castoff, the Tides, attunement to them, The Order of Truth, The Cult of the Changing God, and a whole bunch of other stuff. All this before I even reach Sagus Cliffs.

In other words, the game needs a shitload more mystery. I don't want all that dumped on me from the get-go; I want to discover it bit by bit as I explore the world and figure out who the hell I am and why I can't seem to die.

Will keep going with the beta, but I am frankly rather mightily let down by the start.

Jaesun

Fabulous Ex-Moderator
Patron
MCA
In T:ToN however, I immediately get an infodump on The Changing God, The Sorrow, Sorrow fragments, the fact that I'm a Castoff, the Tides, attunement to them, The Order of Truth, The Cult of the Changing God, and a whole bunch of other stuff. All this before I even reach Sagus Cliffs.

In other words, the game needs a shitload more mystery. I don't want all that dumped on me from the get-go; I want to discover it bit by bit as I explore the world and figure out who the hell I am and why I can't seem to die.

Will keep going with the beta, but I am frankly rather mightily let down by the start.

Yes, the MYSTARY! of PS:T is what made the game. The slow discovery of what is going on, and eventually who you are was very well done.

Too many games throw too much stuff at you, JUST for the point of YOU HAVE TO CHECK OUT THE COOL SETTING WE HAVE FOR YOU!

It should be a journey of discovery and a personal story...

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom