Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Underrail vs Age of Decadence

flabbyjack

Arcane
Word on the street is this subforum needs more threads.

Underrail has gunz
Age of Decadence has bros

Which is better and why?

DeN DarK

Educated
Whitestone One, First Throne, Forty Forties
Underrail: some decisions about DC and final battle was very dissapointing. Story is game not very replayable. Combat is very nice even with cooldowns. Oddity system is very cool idea.
AoD: Combat is very nice. Ending isn't not very good too but much better than Underrail. Replayability is huge from story POV. XP system is nice too. Setting more original than in Underrail. C&C more in story. Graphics is better (I can persuade some of my friends to buy AoD and they liked it - but I cannot persuade them to buy UR)

All in all - I like Underrail very much but AoD simply better for my taste.

Sinatar

Arbiter
If we could get the C&C from AoD merged with the combat and world design of Underrail we'd have the perfect game.

likaq

Arcane
So, CYOA+cooldowns+deep caverns+single character turnbased combat = perfect game?

Last edited:

Jimmious

Arcane
Patron
Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
Underrail is Borderlands for nerds. There I said it.
Still didn't play AoD to see what's that like though

Got bored and left

I haven't played enough of either game to form a strong opinion, but my initial reception (after some 15 hours of gameplay) of Underrail has been much warmer. Which I didn't expect, since I've always been a major storyfag, and Underrail is pretty much just combat (and crafting) galore, though it's all fun as hell. I guess I just found the way attribute- and skillchecks work in AoD a bit off-putting, as much as I applaud the game's ambition when it comes to the impact the player has on the story and muh choice and consequence. I'll definetely give both games much more time, but for now Underrail wins out for me.

Self-Ejected

Excidium II

Self-Ejected
Underrail - $14.99
Age of Decadence - $29.99

Two games of comparable quality and one costs twice as much. Need I say more?

likaq

Arcane
boring as fuck min/max CYOA adventure game with shitty 'I hit/miss you-you hit/miss' me single character combat
is of comparable quality with underrail?

Self-Ejected

Excidium II

Self-Ejected
Well by the same token Underrail is a boring as fuck single player MMO with shitty 'use the strongest ability not on cooldown' single character combat

V_K

Arcane
Underrail allows to solve challenges through combat, stealth or, occasionally, dialog and you can mix and match approaches rather freely. AoD allows to solve challenges through either combat or CYOA sequences and requires commitment to one of these approaches, severely punishing hybridisation. But none of this matters since at my old age I don't have patience anymore to stomach either Underrail's snail walking speed, nor AoD's 3D camera.
:rpgcodex:

Last edited:

Zarniwoop

TESTOSTERONIC As Fuck™
Patron
Shadorwun: Hong Kong
Word on the street is this subforum needs more threads.

Underrail has gunz
Age of Decadence has bros

Which is better and why?

Obviously a combination of the two. UnderAge of Decadence :obviously:

It's Japanese, don't ask.

Sykar

Arcane
Underrail is great fun despite some flaws which I attribute more to the tiny development team. Never tried AoD since I am tired of middle age fantasy settings. Underrail brought some nice fresh air into the sci fi cRPG genre imo.

Zed Duke of Banville

Dungeon Master
Patron
Never tried AoD since I am tired of middle age fantasy settings.

:1/5:

That's exactly the point of AoD, it's not a middle age fantasy setting but an antiquity fantasy setting.
And Age of Decadence isn't fantasy, but rather a ruined post-apocalyptic regression to the level of classical Rome after the fall of a highly-advanced technological civilization. Like it or hate it, it's very far removed from the typical fantasy medieval RPG setting .

Sykar

Arcane
Underrail brought some nice fresh air into the sci fi cRPG genre imo.
Yeah, post-apocalypse is the barely touched upon branch.

Going underground certainly is in a cRPG. The only other game I know about who did this was Metro and that one can be hardly called a cRPG. Oh and Arx Fatalis, but I do not remember if it was a post apocalyptic game or if there was another reason for being in a mountain tunnel system the whole game but then again that is also fantasy medieval.

That's exactly the point of AoD, it's not a middle age fantasy setting but an antiquity fantasy setting.

It is still older age fantasy and I am tired of that type of fantasy. Like 90% of all cRPGs are some sort of old age fantasy game.

Goral

Arcane
Patron
The Real Fanboy
Underrail is great fun despite some flaws which I attribute more to the tiny development team. Never tried AoD since I am tired of middle age fantasy settings. Underrail brought some nice fresh air into the sci fi cRPG genre imo.

It is still older age fantasy and I am tired of that type of fantasy. Like 90% of all cRPGs are some sort of old age fantasy game.
Middle age or antiquity - same difference.
Retard detected, no wonder you prefer inferior Underrail to Age of Decadence. And as Zed Duke of Banville[B][/B] pointed out it's not a fantasy setting. It has unique setting though unlike Underrail which is Fallout in the sewers rip-off. Make a bigger fool of yourself than you already have and show me other RPGs with similar setting ("that type of fantasy") if you think that AoD is like almost every other cRPG, lol.

veevoir

Klytus, I'm bored
Patron
Shadorwun: Hong Kong BattleTech

Middle age or antiquity - same difference.
Retard detected, no wonder you prefer inferior Underrail to Age of Decadence. And as Zed Duke of Banville pointed out it's not a fantasy setting. It has unique setting though unlike Underrail which is Fallout in the sewers rip-off. Make a bigger fool of yourself than you already have and show me other RPGs with similar setting ("that type of fantasy") if you think that AoD is like almost every other cRPG, lol.

He just wanted to say "I like guns".

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom