Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Inactive [LP CYOA] Overlord

Nevill

Arcane
Shadorwun: Hong Kong
Chances are that since he was the nerdiest youngest of the academy, he was also the favorite target for all of the bullies, jocks and other psychopaths that are so common in these places. Eventually he snapped and did something that caused permanent damage (I bet he started a fire)
Yes, this part:
Sure, you had been bullied in childhood over your name, but once you had made it quite clear that you were no hero, in no uncertain terms, the bullying stopped, and they closed down the school.
I regard it as a perfectly normal behavior. Indeed, we were no hero, and we were resourseful. It was just us establishing ourselves as the wrong target for bullying. It was highly successful, too.

That reminds me: Aria is slowly but surely becoming too "kill-happy" for her own good.
She always was that way. As someone who has issues about once being powerless, Aria despises weakness and enjoys demonstrations of her own newfound power.

It is less about bloodthirst, and more about not being at the bottom of the food chain. I'd think she enjoys the fight and the victory more than the killing. Being on top is what is important.

I like the way the kids are shaping up, and would love to see Erdrick becoming more of an influence on them. He already promised Aria personal tutorship in magical combat training, and he gives Arlin social advice (I'd like to think that the boy's plan might be a result of kicking him out in the spotlight back in Yuiria), nudging their develpopment towards their preferences. There is great potential in them, and I really, really want to see it realized.

Last edited:

lightbane

Arcane
What I was referring to is the fact that her excessive joy for battle doesn't end up making Aria leave enemies alive because "they have the potential to be a good fight in the future" or other kinds of nonsensical behaviour which some villains are prone of doing.

I'm not sure though if Erd is really going to tutor Aria with combat training for real, or if he'll only bother himself to give her a few basic tips ("Rule 1: Never let the streams cross ; Rule 2: Remember to call out your attacks before doing them, even if you're supposed to be in a stealthy mission ; Rule 3: Never question Rule 2..."). While I too would like to see our charges growing up and acquiring their own identities as the years pass, that would require that the Codex doesn't make a fatal mistake which nearly kills the protagonist and/or sentences him to a fate worse than death, something which happens quite frequently. :lol:

Still, it would be fun to see treave's attempt at doing a generations-long story like what Eternal did, but it won't happen anytime soon.

I like the way the kids are shaping up, and would love to see Erdrick becoming more of an influence on them.

Do you really, really want this to happen? To have someone like him become their paternal figure or worse? :lol: We don't even know if his social advice is going to help Arlin or actually make things worse. On the other hand, he's certainly less unstable than the rest of the cast, but that's only because Lucy cannot talk (yet). :lol: :lol:

Nevill

Arcane
What I was referring to is the fact that her excessive joy for battle doesn't end up making Aria leave enemies alive
I think she is not a fan of leaving enemies alive in general. That would be Arlin, and for completely different reasons. :M

I'm not sure though if Erd is really going to tutor Aria with combat training for real, or if he'll only bother himself to give her a few basic tips
He promised, and I will hold him to the promise. Hopefully, so will Aria.
“Do it wrong and you might lose a limb or worse next time. It looks like I will have to spend more time in teaching you.

She nods again, faster and more excitedly this time.
Leaving her without guidance risks bodily harm now that she learned some powerful spells. It is simply easier to give her a proper training than to heal her up every time she misjudges her limits.

While I too would like to see our charges growing up and acquiring their own identities as the years pass, that would require that the Codex doesn't make a fatal mistake which nearly kills the protagonist and/or sentences him to a fate worse than death, something which happens quite frequently.
Protagonist? No. The kids? Very possible. :M

Do you really, really want this to happen?
Yes, please. Because the only other role model they have is Rin, and we all know how it turned out. NEVER AGAIN. :outrage:

Don't even get me started on Zayan. :lol:

a cut of domestic sheep prime

The real reason why they can't procreate is, of course, because their hyperweapon upgrade is only unlockable at lvl 99.

1. Angels may only mate if their partner is above Level 35.

2. Upon mating the partner's level will drop to 1.

3. If they do not mate for a certain period of time they will turn irreversibly gay.
What level is Rin?

After the missing out on the brown wedding, I trust your parrots about as far as I can throw them - which is to say not at all since you can't throw an emote.

Nevill

Arcane
What level is Rin?
35th.
4916518_6645730c7d9bf0642e615e889d0dd2e3.jpg

After the missing out on the brown wedding, I trust your parrots about as far as I can throw them - which is to say not at all since you can't throw an emote.
Those were untrustworthy winking parrots. There are dignified and honest birds. +M

a cut of domestic sheep prime

You all make me sick - helping Arlin become some sort of inter-species polygamist when we should have kept the girl for ourselves. Plus, I wanted to lol as Aria predictably did the same thing that Rin would have and guts the girl by mistake.

At least 3B won. We need to level up Rin to level 36 so that we can wobble her wobbly bits. :M

Nevill

Arcane
Hey. Hands off the kids! :rpgcodex:

Especially from our honey trap. To sabotage the one person who actively catches girls rather than kills them - just how petty do you want our asshole? :M

Last edited:

lightbane

Arcane
Eh, that girl is probably 6/10, 7/10 tops and most likely inferior compared to her mother, who's the real prize. Arlin can keep her. Besides, I thought he was more interested in catching fleas and worse stuff from one certain female goblin, it's not like he's going to dump the former for the latter, that would make too much sense. However, if he somehow can keep both women happy, better for him. Erd has higher aspirations than these two leftovers... After he manages to fix his ailment, of course. :M

Besides, we don't want our future spymaster to be resentful with us, at least not until Zayan develops mind-controlling chips to ensure everyone's 100% loyalty.

Nevill

Arcane
Eh, that girl is probably 6/10, 7/10 tops and most likely inferior compared to her mother, who's the real prize.
And you bet she will be actively seeking us out after what Arlin pulled. Single parents can be really protective of their kids.

Maybe it would be enough for her to forego whatever the cloaked people promised (and failed to deliver on) in favor of the stuff she considers more important. We certainly got a nice leverage out of this little encounter.

It took us a while to realize that kidnapping a girl is always the right choice (we really should have kidnapped the adjutant and Wist), but Arlin understood it right away. Well, with a bit of encouragement from his sister. The young ones have a bright future ahead of them. :salute:

Nevill

Arcane
I am kind of worried about Arlin trying to help Tenia escape, though. It was not his intention to capture her in the first place, and he is emotionally vulnerable enough to be guilt-tripped into action. Plus there is always his usual rebellious streak. And Petze might be interested in having the strange girl gone as well, though I would assume that her reverence of the Shining One comes first.

Three people interested in a certain thing is a perfect brewing ground for a conspiracy. :M

Still, it would be nice having Aria to keep an eye on the newcomer, as someone who can't be sweet-talked and who reads her brother like a book. At least until things get sorted out.

lightbane

Arcane
We have the rest of our servants/companions to defend our base, so it's not that bad. What I am more worried about is the meeting itself: if the Governor/the ambushers uses his contacts to acquire and bring some sort of magic nullifier to the meeting to prevent us from fooling around, we're screwed in every possible way. :lol:

Still, there's the small chance that Rin knows something about the local language thanks to the gobbos, so even then there's still hope.

Nevill

Arcane
inb4 Tenia's mother and the hooded figure raid our base now that there is no one to defend it.
They'd have to know where it is, first.

Look, a large part of this LP is devoted to keeping away just enough information so that no one knows exactly what is the deal with us. No thanks to 'let's angel it up' proponents. :M

Fears of having a village raided were circulating since the very first choice. I would think that anyone who is capable of attacking us will either be strong enough to give us an advance notice (like, you know, the army of adventurers), or require some major fuck up from us signaling our location to everyone (like a second Ion Cannon).

But hey, if people are so concerned about it, why not pick up the early warning system instead of regeneration pods and the like next time it becomes available?

if the Governor/the ambushers uses his contacts to acquire and bring some sort of magic nullifier to the meeting to prevent us from fooling around, we're screwed in every possible way.
I don't think Rin is reliant on magic, and neither is BRObatos. I'd think it won't be us who gets screwed by that move.

Last edited:

lightbane

Arcane
Well Nevill, I was referring to the inability of Erdrick to communicate without using the "Google Translator" spell. If the Governator has a short-lasting but portable anti-magic field battery or anything like that to keep us in check, the meeting will end quite badly for everyone involved (especially us).

And Kipeci, I do not believe that won't be necessary. Erdrick seemingly levels up quite quickly: doing anything that can pass as an intense work-out allows him to access the level up screen. Therefore, sparring with Rin for a while and doing 100 push-ups every week should be enough to jump straight to level 20 or even higher at least.

Nevill

Arcane
If the Governator has a short-lasting but portable anti-magic field battery or anything like that to keep us in check, the meeting will end quite badly for everyone involved (especially us).
I do not follow the logic, even in a hypothetical sort of scenario.

We use our spell to communicate with the Governor. What would be our disadvantage? I mean, ok, we won't be able to talk to him, but why would we talk with someone who broke the deal by smuggling in some hostile device in the first place? :?

What exactly is the Governor's benefit of doing anything against us, anyway? I thought he was the party most interested in the negotiations coming to a satisfactory resolution.

Therefore, sparring with Rin for a while and doing 100 push-ups every week
Never going to happen. :M

Kipeci

Arcane
It's much more fun to bring Methussian knight-rabble into the House of Submission with Gigadyne abuse rather than doing push-ups.

TOME

Cuckmaster General
They'd have to know where it is, first.

We have Tenia in our camp. All it takes is a locator or teleport to someone spell and we lose the kids and Zayan.

I'm not worried about the governor or the adventurers so much. Much more worrisome are these mysterious hooded figures who can give Rin trouble.

Nevill

Arcane
We have Tenia in our camp. All it takes is a locator or teleport to someone spell and we lose the kids and Zayan.
Rin has a teleport to someone spell, and it's not like she can follow the cloaked figure without first keying it to a person.

That's not to mention that Rin's power level probably exceeds that of an archmage. These spells aren't known just to anyone.

Tenia was never meant to be caught by us, so I wouldn't be worried about her being accessible like that. Though accepting a mole in our camp was on my mental list of the major screw-ups we could do, yes.

lightbane

Arcane
On the other hand, the girl comes out from the country which supposedly produces the most potent magic users of this world, so Tenia having a magical amulet/bracelet/accessory that works as a locator signal is not entirely impossible. In fact, we don't know what is she hiding under her clothes (or what she's wearing to begin with, I'll assume she has the generic "leather shirt + trousers" common to thieves and such*), so she might be hiding weapons and other stuff that might facilitate her escape, for not to mention her own training. Nevertheless, keeping her secure and docile in the long-term will be more difficult than the other prisoner we have.

*treave didn't mention anything especial about her appearance so that's my default conjecture.

treave

Arcane
Patron
Codex 2012
In the Windmill

You watch as Runde leads Tenia off for questioning, accompanied by Robust and his goblin warriors. Arlin watches them go, his brows scrunched in a frown, and his lips curled downwards. You approach the perplexed boy – he must be dealing with a host of complicated feelings in his heart at the moment. Luckily for him, he has one of the foremost experts in matters of the heart at his service. Namely, you.

“Arlin,” you say, “You seem unhappy.”

“O-Oh, Master.” Arlin turns around, putting on a wan smile for you. “Nothing of the sort.”

Glancing over at Tenia and the goblins, you say, “If you are worried that they will harm the girl, don’t be. We just need to find out more about the bandits that her mother leads. After that, she will be set free.” Of course, you do not specify the duration of time that will pass between the extraction of information and the girl’s freedom, nor the manner in which she will be set free. If this queen of bandits is linked to those suspicious people in black, her daughter will certainly be a valuable pawn. You are certain you can make up excuses for her to be your guest for years to come.

“Yes, I understand that,” Arlin replies absent-mindedly.

“Good.” You crouch down and beckon for him to do the same. “Get a little more comfortable while we talk.”

“Talk? Is there anything to talk about?” he says in confusion. “Did my sister not make her report?”

“She wouldn’t have been privy to the juicy details,” you grin. “What went on between you and that loud little girl? She seemed really upset that you would betray her like that.”

Arlin turns red. “N-Nothing. And I didn’t betray her!”

That means something definitely happened. “Nothing? I’m sure you… held hands?”

Arlin’s shoulders stiffen.

“Hugged?”

He looks away, his ears burning.

“…Kissed?”

“W-We didn’t do anything!”

“Oh?”

“Well… I-I didn’t do anything. She did… kiss me.”

You hear Petze squeak out loud and drop something. You hope it wasn’t anything valuable, but you will have Boss talk to her about eavesdropping on your conversations. Arlin’s gaze turns to her and he opens his mouth to call out to the goblin, but you silence him with a wave of your hand.

“Leave her be,” you say. “You seem to be caught between two women, Arlin. I didn’t know you were such a flirt.”

“I’m not!” he says hotly. “I just… I’m just friends with both of them.”

You note that he already claims Tenia as a friend, but you do not bring it up. “That’s how it starts. One day you are just friends, the next day one woman is trying to stab you in the back and the other is trying to bury an axe in your chest. That is what is going to be in your future if you do not tread carefully, Arlin.” You lower your voice, emphasizing the importance of the matter.

“You speak as if you have knowledge of such things, Master.”

“Of course I do. Who do you think I am?” You laugh confidently. You have seen it happen to other men before your very eyes. “Not only do I know of such things, I know how to avert them. Well, what I really want to say is that…”

A. “Women – all women – love great men, and a man’s greatness is in turn measured by the size and vigor of his love. Great men are called thusly because they possess a love so great that it cannot be contained, cannot be satisfied, by any lone woman. It is a love that is meant to be shared and spread. All you need to do is to demonstrate how great your love is and they will naturally come around.”

B. “It is fine to be just friends, but you are still young. Things will likely develop beyond your control whether you like it or not. With that in mind, act to construct a firm base for your relationships with them, whether you intend it to be platonic or not. Communication is paramount; clear up any misunderstandings you may have. I suggest that you start with Petze before approaching Tenia. She’s the easier of the two to handle.”

C. “You need to bed one of them immediately and whisper sweet nothings into their ear. That’ll eliminate one problem off the bat, and then you only need to focus on the other quickly, while the first one’s still off dreaming about things to come, like an engagement or a wedding. I’m not sure which one you’d prefer, so that is entirely up to you. You… do know how to do it, right?”

D. “This is one of those moments where you have to find your own path. In the end, the solution you reach for this problem will tell me, and the world, just what kind of man you will become.”

The tattered sails of the old windmill turn gently in the wind, creaking as they trace the same circular path that they had travelled ever since their construction. Moss coats the faded brown bricks of the tower. This place had once been farmland supplying the mines of nearby Asteronto, but as cross-kingdom transport grew easier and mining more lucrative, the farming families had abandoned their plows for picks. The land had never been the most fertile even in its best days. Now, weeds have overrun the dilapidated fields. Only the old windmill still stands. The one who had told you all this was Ellen. She stands in the middle of the tall, swaying grass, taking in the view. The sun is bright today, casting its warm light on the vista in front of her.

“It’s beautiful,” she mutters. Somehow, you find yourself agreeing. In its own decrepit, rotting, transient way, it is. You duck to enter the windmill, your hat being taller than the entrance. Rin is already inside, sitting on a dusty old stool in a prim and proper manner entirely unlike her usual self. Behind you, Ellen follows. She looks around curiously and decides to take her seat on a bench, right besides you. The entire building seems to shudder, the sails groaning like a living beast as the wind picks up.

“So, my father will be arriving soon?” asks Ellen.

“Yes. He said noon on this day, I believe,” you answer. “That is not far off.”

“I can’t wait to see him!” Her voice trails off as she looks around the building. Then, her gaze settles on Rin. “I have been wondering about this, but Miss Rinnefiela… do the two of you have a relationship?”

Rin turns her head politely, looking every bit like a well-mannered, upper-class beauty. “Oh, we do indeed have a relationship. If you must know, we are sworn to each other, Miss Hastwell.”

“Oh my. Oh my.” A blush creeps into Ellen’s cheeks. “So-“

“Sleep.” You catch the dozing Ellen in your arms before she tumbles over and hits the floor. Carefully, you lay her out on the bench.

“You seem to like putting her to sleep, Mercant. You did so before we left, too; she’s practically been sleeping the whole journey.”

“It’s to avoid any unnecessary questions. Also to avoid you filling her head with strange ideas,” you reply. “I did tell her that one of the side-effects of her healing was that she may find herself nodding off at random moments for a while.”

“Truly, you are scum, Erdrick Mercant,” says Rin with a fully self-satisfied voice. “A real hero would have led the maiden on an amazing and wondrous tour of seeing the countryside before delivering her home safe and sound. Free of charge, might I add.”

“A real hero knows when to extract payment when he needs it for his noble goals,” you retort calmly. “It worked, did it not? I reached your father’s doorstep after all. I am not so sure the shining paragon approach would have been as effective. Heroes need to eat after all.”

“Yes, I do wonder how the human nations rallied around one such as you. Such an unlikely, tarnished icon, more of a brute than a knight,” she ponders.

“I got results,” you explain. “Oh, and a healthy dose of blackmail with regards to stubborn generals also helped where I could not use religion to push my way. Don’t think I have forgiven you for forcing me to miss out on the opportunity to mine Yuiria’s brothels for their wealth of information. I may yet ask you to recompense me for that.”

Rin laughs brightly. “I am sure I can nab a person or two to pay that off. You would have made for a terrifying demon. Somehow, I’m glad that you are human…”

“I am not a human anymore. The past is irrelevant,” you remind her, cutting that line of conversation short. “Anyway, I put her to sleep because I need to talk to you about something. Those cloaked figures you encountered in Virtue Forest and in Erise... what are they?”

The demon princess’s face grows solemn. “Yes. Them.”

When she does not seem to be forthcoming with any further information, you raise your arm. “Barbatos. Know anything? They seem to be on speaking terms with your friend Athos, at least, judging from the shard that they stuck in Rin.”

“Oh, I wouldn’t know, boy,” says the gauntlet lazily. “Thousands of years pass, you will get all sorts of strange little cults springing up all the time centered around us, mighty weapons and objects of worship that we are, and of course they never accomplish a damn thing. This group is probably another of those.”

“They are not from the human kingdoms, this much I can tell,” says Rin finally. She seems to have been struggling with something.

“Demons? Beastmen?” you ask.

Rin shakes her head. “I do not know. Ever since the second encounter in Virtue, I have felt a presence calling me, promising power and wealth and whatnot. It is not the Demon Lord that afflicted my mind before, yet it feels strangely familiar. Of course, if they can contact me, with some work, I can sense them right back. I think… I am aware of where these cloaked figures are. Vaguely, of course. To the east. That is where they are. They don’t know that I am able to trace their location just yet.”

“And you didn’t see fit to tell me this before?”

“I only managed to turn this about on them recently,” she scowls. “Besides… I was not sure whether or not to tell you.”

“Why not?”

“Because the less you know about this, the better. Don’t forget, you are carrying my father’s legacy. If they are interested in me, what would they think about you, a human turned angel? It is best that you stay out of their sights, particularly if we don’t know who they are and what they are planning. I was planning on leaving on an expedition by myself to hunt them down, even had a letter prepared to be left at your door and all, but you just had to call me out here, didn’t you?” she says impatiently. Upon seeing the surprised look on your face, Rin goes slightly red and continues quickly, “Don’t act so shocked! Since they know where I am, the longer I stay around, the more we risk having them discover Grahferde. Never let the enemy-“

“-attack on their own terms,” you finish the sentence together with her. It is an age-old military saying passed down in your world, and one that you know well. “I see. Why have you not told Zayan about this? She might be able to find a way to cut the link.”

“I can solve my own problems, and who knows how long that crazy bat will take? She’s also busy with other work for the village,” she says heatedly. “Anyway, no harm will come to me. They know of me and have been sending me harassing messages, but they have not uncovered where I am. Not yet. That much I can tell from my senses. Now that I’ve crossed blades with them twice, I already have the measure of their abilities. So, don’t worry. After we meet with the governor, I’ll immediately leave on my hunt. There’s no time to waste. Wish me luck, Erdrick.”

A. She’s not going anywhere. At the very least, she should stay until the adventurers have been dealt with; you can decide what to do about the link after that problem has passed. You’ll take the risk that the cloaked figures discover Grahferde’s location to keep Rin at your side, and appeal to your mutual oath to make her stay.

B. You agree to let Rin go off on her expedition east. If she stays around and the cloaked figures decide to act at the same time that the adventurers arrive, you would be facing trouble on both fronts. Since Rin would be entering non-human territory, she should be able to handle it herself.

Last edited:

Nevill

Arcane
Great. Caught the princess just before running off without telling anyone anything beforehand. I am sure it would have turned out perfectly fine.

That gives me an idea of what to tell Arlin, in hopes that Erdrick might listen to his own advice sometimes.

B. “It is fine to be just friends, but you are still young. Things will likely develop beyond your control whether you like it or not. With that in mind, act to construct a firm base for your relationships with them, whether you intend it to be platonic or not. Communication is paramount; clear up any misunderstandings you may have. I suggest that you start with Petze before approaching Tenia. She’s the easier of the two to handle.”

Miscommunication has cost us enough already. If we could just take a moment to talk to each other and not behave like a bunch of kids with their petty secrets and ostentatious self-dependence, wouldn't that be nice? :M

Oh, and she is not going anywhere, especially after being shoved a mind-controlling shard up her ass once. I'd rather have the village discovered and face them together than give them myself - or Rin - one by one.

Zayan will have a lot of work ahead of her.

A. She’s not going anywhere. At the very least, she should stay until the adventurers have been dealt with; you can decide what to do about the link after that problem has passed. You’ll take the risk that the cloaked figures discover Grahferde’s location to keep Rin at your side, and appeal to your mutual oath to make her stay.

We'll manage. We have not that bad of a team, all things considered.

lightbane

Arcane
Yay! An update!! *checks the choices* Oh dear, oh dear, the potential of screwing up is enormous. And quite foreshadowing to say.

“That’s how it starts. One day you are just friends, the next day one woman is trying to stab you in the back and the other is trying to bury an axe in your chest. That is what is going to be in your future if you do not tread carefully, Arlin.” You lower your voice, emphasizing the importance of the matter.

“You speak as if you have knowledge of such things, Master.”

“Of course I do. Who do you think I am?” You laugh confidently. You have seen it happen to other men before your very eyes.

But what about you, Erdrick? *checks the choices* It seems not really, moreso considering nearly all of the advices are seemingly taken from a PUA book or something like that. :lol:
And Rin... Heh, I can tell this choice will generate lots of debate. How is she so sure she can do things by herself considering she's going to unknown territory all alone? For not to mention these voices do not sound friendly. They could be a cult that worships a demon weapon that's calling her yes, but they also could be enemies as well, even if they're unrelated to Athos. treave, can Erdrick ask her more details about what's she planning to do once she arrives to wherever her destination is?

Anyway, I'll vote for:

1.B>D>A. These two sound like the smart (and sane) choices. The last one is pure lulz.
2.A. I'm willing to let her leave if she's able to provide a good plan that takes into consideration all tactical possibilities (which is unlikely she will right now, so she stays with us).

Last edited:

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom