Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Decline The Worst CRPG Ever?

Worst CRPG Ever?

• Total voters

felipepepe

Codex's Heretic
Patron
Been a while since we last did this, so let's try again.

I'm being subjective here, of course there are objectively worst RPGs - Metal Heart: Replicant's Rampage, Gorasul, Neverend, Spelljammer: Pirates of Realmspace, Space Hack, etc... - but you're not a really bad game if you didn't fool hordes of people into playing.

nikolokolus

Arcane
Ultima IX simply for its pedigree and how far it had fallen from its peak in U7 is contender, but I voted PoR for the simple fact that it could uninstall your system files.

Donaroriak

Augur
Project: Eternity
Ultima IX simply for its pedigree and how far it had fallen from its peak in U7 is contender, but I voted PoR for the simple fact that it could uninstall your system files.
I still display the game box on my bookcase (only box I have held on to over the years) as a reminder of the tragic effects of riding the hype train.

Bumvelcrow

Somewhat interesting
Patron
Dumbfuck
Codex 2013 Codex 2014 Make the Codex Great Again! Strap Yourselves In

Meh, at least that would save you from playing it. Ultima IX gets my vote, as it would if the poll title was 'worst thing ever'. It's scarred me beyond any hope of salvation.

Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire
Played none of those.
Actually most RPGs I played were not total shit, but if I'd have to name one it would probably be Dragon Age: Inquisition. Which of course bears no objectivity, since it's not totally broken, has pretty nice graphics and world etc. But it's the one game that filled me with mopst rage and disgust.

sser

Arcane
Developer
Dungeon Siege 3.

Edit: also can't miss a moment to post this gem,

Last edited:

abnaxus

Arcane
Patron
Been a while since we last did this, so let's try again.

I'm being subjective here, of course there are objectively worst RPGs - Metal Heart: Replicant's Rampage, Gorasul, Neverend, Spelljammer: Pirates of Realmspace, Space Hack, etc... - but you're not a really bad game if you didn't fool hordes of people into playing.
Neither of these two were too bad; certainly better than Shiternity.

Lhynn

Arcane
Wow descent undermountain is that bad? i always thought id give it a try but now im scared.

Siveon

Bot
Shadorwun: Hong Kong
No oblivion/skyrim with guns? :)
Eh, would derail the entire voting. And those games suck for us, the devs & fanboys are quite happy with what they got. The ones I listed NO ONE walked away from unfazed.
Except that one guy from the Ultima Codex who defends Ultima IX every other day. Really funny whenever that place gets brought up.

I see a lot of votes for "Gothic IV" (I think they actually changed the title on steam to just Arcania), which makes sense. I'm guessing more people in the Codex has played Gothic and still remember the fall from grace like it was yesterday. Still went for IX, though.

Funny enough both games have a predecessor that isn't usually well liked either. Namely Ultima VIII and Gothic 3.

Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire
I see a lot of votes for "Gothic IV" (I think they actually changed the title on steam to just Arcania), which makes sense. I'm guessing more people in the Codex has played Gothic and still remember the fall from grace like it was yesterday. Still went for IX, though.

Funny enough both games have a predecessor that isn't usually well liked either. Namely Ultima VIII and Gothic 3.
I think Gothic 3 is obscenely underrated. At least when played with unofficial patches.
It's atmosphere is great again, as is the setting, world and general vision. Also it has the bestest soundtrack of any game ever probably.
Unfortunately it was too bugged, and it certainly is no Gothic / Gothic 2 anymore.

Hobo Elf

Arcane
Might & Magic 9 is at least better than most of those games. Arcania isn't called Arcania: Gothic 4 anymore, they dropped the Gothic part once PB got the rights back to the franchise. Going back on topic, most of those games suck ass because they are rushed and/or buggy. Arcania was neither rushed nor was it particularly buggy, but it was still one of the most miserable games I ever played purely based on its design choices. That's why I can say without a doubt that Arcania is one of the worst games that I've played.

eric__s

ass hater
Developer
Not even close to any of these. Pools of Radiance deleted my hard drive twice and it's not even as bad as some of the shit I've played. Did you people ever browse Home of the Underdogs back in the day and indiscriminately download any RPG you could find? Because that's what I did and there is just some absolute irredeemable shit out there that is far, far worse than anything on this list. There was nothing good about The Red Crystal: The Seven Secrets of Life. Bad Blood is another awful game. I made a topic about the worst game I've ever played, The Holy Sword The Ring. So yeah, none of these games can even compete, not even the Blade of Destiny remake.

AMG

Arbiter
Kingdoms of Banalur and Two Worlds probably deserve a nomination. Definately two worst games I was tricked into trying out. The latter I think I even got quite far into, seriously what the fuck was I doing? Must have been really bored.

Deleted member 7219

The Elder Scrolls IV: Oblivion, Fallout 4, Dragon Age: Inquisition, Wizardry 8 are probably the worst I've played.

Oblivion because of how disappointing it was, especially compared to Morrowind, yet the gaming media called it one of the best RPGs ever made.

Fallout 4 because everything in it, absolutely everything, was complete and utter shite.

DA: Inquisition because it showed how far BioWare have fallen, and I think there's still further they can plummet. I'm terrified at the thought.

Wizardry 8 because I can't see anything good in it. I wouldn't actively hate it if it wasn't held up by some people here as one of the best RPGs ever.

Arcania was pretty bad too.

Last edited by a moderator:

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom