Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Largest CRPG Dungeon?

felipepepe

Codex's Heretic
Patron
This is a tricky question, as one could argue that the entirety of a Wizardry-like game is a single dungeon, but let's stipulate a limitation: what's the largest loading/transition free dungeon area?

I always thought it was Daggerfall, but I've been playing Pool of Radiance: Ruins of Myth Drannor (don't ask) and was impressed at the size of a single floor:

dQdygHg.jpg

Of course, it's boring as hell, full of bullshit blockades that force you to spend like 10 minutes taking a detour and everything looks exactly the same.... but still, pretty damn big.

Snorkack

Arcane
Patron
Shadorwun: Hong Kong
Idk if it qualifies for the biggest dungeon but Demise:Ascension's floors were pretty huge... 100x100 tiles per dungeon floor or sth?

Dorateen

Arcane
To me, I thought that was a defining feature of Ruins of Myth Drannor. The dungeons floors were absolutely cavernous, and multi-levels deep. And still littered with points of interest as well as interconnectivity with the outside game world.

felipepepe Are you playing it as a matter of research, or because you lost a wager?

felipepepe

Codex's Heretic
Patron
felipepepe Are you playing it as a matter of research, or because you lost a wager?
Research.

I was surprised to find out that those endless brown mazes are just the first part of the game. After like 5 ungodly boring & repetitive levels, you arrive at Myth Drannor and the levels are mostly unique outdoor areas with a decent Infinity Engine-like look. The first half of the game is its worst part. Which doesn't mean that the second one is GOOD, but the interesting areas & wider variety of monsters and spells make it at least bearable.

V_K

Arcane
Research.

I was surprised to find out that those endless brown mazes are just the first part of the game. After like 5 ungodly boring & repetitive levels, you arrive at Myth Drannor and the levels are mostly unique outdoor areas with a decent Infinity Engine-like look. The first half of the game is its worst part. Which doesn't mean that the second one is GOOD, but the interesting areas & wider variety of monsters and spells make it at least bearable.
IIRC it's not the second part of the game, you're only there to find entrances to more dungeons.

CryptRat

Arcane
Developer
It must be hard to find your invisible characters in such a large area.

felipepepe

Codex's Heretic
Patron
IIRC it's not the second part of the game, you're only there to find entrances to more dungeons.
You start at Stillwater, a small outdoor area with one merchant and a healer. From there you must enter the underground maze and cross 4 huge, boring and repetitive areas before reaching the next outdoor area. Once there, the game opens quite a bit, and there's various areas you can go.

It must be hard to find your invisible characters in such a large area.
Yes, especially since you cannot see clearly the walls * bullshit blockades in the maze. Some paths that look ok in the map are actually blocked by a block or stone or whatever and you have to find another route. I would have ragequitted in less than an hour inside those mazes if not for the speed hack.

V_K

Arcane
You start at Stillwater, a small outdoor area with one merchant and a healer. From there you must enter the underground maze and cross 4 huge, boring and repetitive areas before reaching the next outdoor area. Once there, the game opens quite a bit, and there's various areas you can go.
I might be misremembering, it was a loooong time ago, but I remember most of those overground places ending in some locked doors or impossible enemies, with only one initially open exit leading towards another huge-ass dungeon. I never completed that second one, so maybe it does open up after that.

Invictus

Arcane
The Real Fanboy
Divinity: Original Sin 2
Daggerfall dungeons ( like the one bellow Sentinel where you go find the Lich) are not only massive but downright claustrophobic, cant think of a bigger dungeon, although a couple from The Summoning would qualify too; that was such an awesome game it is so sad it has been mostly forgotten

Shin

Cipher
1377254999233.png

Nothing comes close. Random dungeons in DF are the size of modern-day game worlds. Even tho PoR's dungeon size is rather impressive it's fairly hard to get lost on a 2D plane. Daggerfall with its fake 3D graphics does a terrible, awful, godforsaken job of telling you where the fuck you are.

octavius

Arcane
Patron
Wizardry 5 had some pretty big levels, probably the largest levels in the blobber sub-genre.

DavidBVal

4 Dimension Games
Patron
Developer
PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy Insert Title Here RPG Wokedex Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Codex+ Now Streaming! Pathfinder: Wrath
Really, anyone doubting it is Dagerfall just needs to install the game and see for himself.

felipepepe

Codex's Heretic
Patron
Wizardry 5 had some pretty big levels, probably the largest levels in the blobber sub-genre.
I think Generation Xth had one bigger than any Wiz V map:

wfMldTe.jpg

One of my favorite dungeons as well - there are four entrances and you must slowly explore all of them to unlock gates and get keys to finally reach the stairs at the middle.

Lonely Vazdru

Pimp my Title
As far as navigating huge levels with shit automap goes, "Thunderscape : World of Aden" ranked pretty high. I couldn't find any image fully illustrating it but here's the best I got :

A7kgHbp.jpg

DemonKing

Arcane
Ruins of Myth Drannor may not have had the biggest dungeons but they sure felt like they were the biggest...

eric__s

ass hater
Developer
Daggerfall dungeons ( like the one bellow Sentinel where you go find the Lich) are not only massive but downright claustrophobic, cant think of a bigger dungeon, although a couple from The Summoning would qualify too; that was such an awesome game it is so sad it has been mostly forgotten
I was only able to beat that dungeon by clipping through the wall and looking through the invisible ceiling for the lich.

typical user

Arbiter
Skyrim. Every two steps there is dungeon and you spend 80% of your quests in caves or similar fighting 80% of it's inhabitants: draugr, bandits and falmer.

But seriously I remember some sort of cave in Skyrim which was divided to 3 sections. Or Blackreach, that one also requires going through one dungeon out of three and is dungeon itself, vast with sublevels and mobs to trash.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom