Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Underrail: The Incline Awakens

Blaine

Cis-Het Oppressor
Patron
Grab the Codex by the pussy
Azuridae carapaces go into the armor plate slot, bottom-left. You can click the slot, and the UI will cycle through eligible components in your inventory.

Makagulfazel

Educated
Also, I am having a really though time with my rifleman char. I die so fast, have trouble surviving the first turn very often. I got a steel armor and an energy shield. Am I just too low level? The fight with the 'bandits' at the protecterate train, jesus christ. The sniper kills me in one shot, the melee dude kills me in one turn.

I am level 10.

I don't mind the challenge though, but I feel like I am missing something.

I think that mission is intended for a higher level. With snipe, aimed shot, and 7 round burst the enemies were much easier than they would've been. I like to hide around rocks so I can either restealth or waste the enemies turns to have them run at me for an more precise burst. I didn't even bother with traps for that fight, but I must've been level 14-15 at the time.
Snipe makes the game much easier, since it allows you to one-shot two enemies within two turns. Sprint is extremely valuable as a metal armor character; with 65% penalty, tabi shoes, sprint and adrenaline shots when desperate, positioning during combat isn't so bad.
I also use Critical Power with a 165% assault rifle(not too helpful with a sniper, since most enemies will get one-shot anyway). It's nice for when enemies get too close, since aimed shot will do 200+ damage in case you want to kept the rest of your AP for a grenade or something.

Doctor Sbaitso

SO, TELL ME ABOUT YOUR PROBLEMS.
Patron
Codex 2013 Codex 2014 PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Grab the Codex by the pussy Serpent in the Staglands
Yes, just be out of combat when you do it. They will move to investigate the source of the sound.

bati

Scholar
Exploration in this game is second to none. I think the lack of map actually helps with this, I keep finding new areas when I backtrack.

How does one acquire a house in Core City? I'd like to make it my new base of operations before I start questing here.

mixer

Learned
Is there a way to recover a deleted save? i dun goofed. (nothing major, just 3 hours)

Makagulfazel

Educated
Right click on the "Saves" folder in the "C:\Users\*\Documents\My Games\Underrail" directory and see if there's a "Previous Versions" tab. You can also check if the subfolder(s) of the save still exists within the "Saves" folder and try seeing if that tab exists on that folder's properties. If not, I don't know if there's much of anything you can do.

EDIT:
You can also try Recuva, but the longer you've used the computer, the more likely the data is already overwritten

Last edited:

bloodlover

Arcane
Need some advice on a hammer build please. I made a character with 10, 3, 6, 9, 3, 3, 6. and it seems do be going well enough though I do little dmg to the bots in SGS. Any specific traits I should get, except I guess the obvious sprint? The fight vs the bandits that wanted my package was a piece of cake btw.

edit: I took throwing and chemistry for some possible ranged dmg, picklocks seemed obvious too, melee wep, biology for drugs and shit and mechanics for crafting (though I have not found anything quite good so far). Oh and dodge + evasion.

Blackmill

Scholar
Is there a viable light guns-based or psychic way to deal with bots later on? I'm levelling my crafting to eventually make EMP stuff, but damn.

Also, I haven't quite figured it out... which psychic attacks are silent? The basic mental attack ought to be, and the TK punch... but what about, say, cryokinesis?

Telekinetic Fist with the Force User feat will take chunks out of those bot's health and stun them. Once you find the
Telekinetic Proxy
psi-ability they will die in one turn easily. You could also use Electrokinesis if you don't yet have Force User. It will stun the bot, giving you time to disengage from combat, and it does decent damage if you can get two bots to stand next to each other.

I believe Cryokinesis is silent or close to.

Lhynn

Arcane
Is there a viable light guns-based or psychic way to deal with bots later on? I'm levelling my crafting to eventually make EMP stuff, but damn.

Also, I haven't quite figured it out... which psychic attacks are silent? The basic mental attack ought to be, and the TK punch... but what about, say, cryokinesis?

Telekinetic Fist with the Force User feat will take chunks out of those bot's health and stun them. Once you find the
Telekinetic Proxy
psi-ability they will die in one turn easily. You could also use Electrokinesis if you don't yet have Force User. It will stun the bot, giving you time to disengage from combat, and it does decent damage if you can get two bots to stand next to each other.

No it wont, telekinetic punch only helps with living targets. You need electrokinesis to fight them, expose weakness also works wonders, tho its a bit higher level.

hell bovine

Arcane
Just bought this game, loving it SO MUCH. Believe the hype!

Going stealth + psychic (3str 3con), am just heading for Junkyard for the circuit board, seen little trouble so far. Frag mines and bear traps seem super easy to use + powerful for a boss fight, like the GMS raider leader. I'm thinking of branching out into either SMGs or crossbows later on... SMGs look like a better up close "oh shit" option, since psychic powers and crossbows share utility attacks, and cryokinesis is good for ranged spamming.

(The slow walking speed is indeed unnecessary though... maybe have a "relaxed" stance available for travelling through secured areas, that makes you loud, vulnerable and drops your detection but makes walking out of combat like 50% faster? Would help with all the backtracking.)
For bots you want electricity, there is one spell in the psychokinesis line, forgot the name. But for more advanced mechanic critters Ive found opening up with an emp grenades (or emp traps if you prefer traps) better.
edit: Id suggest sticking to just stealth, traps and psi magic. Everything gets more powerful the more you invest into that skill (except throwing, you dont need that much throwing to use grenades), and psi already gives you ranged attacks. Besides, investring spare points into crafting pays off much better. Also, one skill Id wish I had picked on my mage, but didnt, would be hacking.

Last edited:
Need some advice on a hammer build please. I made a character with 10, 3, 6, 9, 3, 3, 6. and it seems do be going well enough though I do little dmg to the bots in SGS. Any specific traits I should get, except I guess the obvious sprint? The fight vs the bandits that wanted my package was a piece of cake btw.

edit: I took throwing and chemistry for some possible ranged dmg, picklocks seemed obvious too, melee wep, biology for drugs and shit and mechanics for crafting (though I have not found anything quite good so far). Oh and dodge + evasion.
Next level up that can put a stat point - put it in Con. Thick Skull is necessary for a heavy.

As far as skills - throwing is also pretty much necessary. Chemistry is okay - not required (you can buy/find nades if you want but you'll be excluded from the top tier ones). All four crafting (mainly mech, elec, and tailoring with a little bio if you want to make your own stims).

You're going to want juggernaut+thick skull + super smash + heavyweight. Armor sloping is good too, as is weaponsmith, but those are less necessary. Hit and Run probably too.

ghostdog

Arcane
Patron
So any ideas about this sneaking/knives/throwing build I'm considering :
So, I'm thinking about a sneaking-knife build with added throwing weapons grenades and knives. No PSI, no Guns.

My starting attributes:
5 - Strength
9 - Dexterity
9 - Agility
3 - Constitution
4 - Perception
3 - Will
7 - Intelligence

Am I gimping myself with 3 on con and will? Or will it work fine?
Are grenades enough for bots, or should I increase my strength and use a sledgehammer for such enemies?

SKILLS:
Defense: Should I up both dodge and evasion ?
Subterfuge: Stealth, Lockpicking, Hacking. Are traps worth it?
Technology: I'm thinking of increasing everything except biology. Am I missing something very good here? AFAIK I need biology for poison knives, are they any good?
Social: Maybe put some into intimidation. I don't know, should I dump it completely?

FEATS:
Start:Snooping, Expertise (?)
Then:Opportunist, Recklessness, Crippling Strike, Cheap Shots, Expose Weaknesses, Taste of Blood, Cut Throat, Blitz, Critical Power, Eviscerate.

I chose snooping to find secret areas. I'm not sure if expertise is the best choice for a starting feat. I'm not sure if any of the other feats are crappy, ideas? Maybe I should throw in nimble as well?
You can get 14 feats, so I can get two more feats. Now here is the question. Should I go for Sprint+Hit and Run, for extra movement, or should I replace them with the Fancy Footwork feat (but only if increasing dodge to 40 is a good idea)
If I go for Fancy Footwork, what should be my other feat? Maybe Grenadier? Dirty kick?

Is this kind of build of build tedious or something? I'm reading about some people having trouble with it. Should I just choose sledgehammers for an easier time?

Pope Amole II

Nerd Commando Game Studios
Developer
You don't need 5 strength as a thrower, you need 5 will. Ripper or GTFO. Not to mention that it works for both knives & throwing knives. Also, taste for blood & eviscerate is kinda meh without a bladed metal armor. You'll feel better if putting more emphasis on the throwing part - split spare, etc. And snooping is pointless - with just 7 effective perception, you won't see anything of real importance. You also don't have a three pointer planned and that's a huge flaw - one of the strongest feats of the game (especially as you'll be maxing DEX anyways).

bati

Scholar
I'd combo the throwing with traps. They share the same stat as throwing and they're pretty amazing for controlling the fights and managing the amount of enemies that can get to you. But if you'll have both then you will need Pack Rathound or you will hate yourself.

edit: This build is pretty interesting, you can use it as a starting template.

Guise, is persuasion or intimidation worth the invested points? I play with this build http://underrail.info.tm/?build=AwG...qqbUPalezghx8BOHNggUcQzGBCYxUKcn7IYydgKRhg1IA and there are some points left that I haven't decided how to spent. Otherwise I can max crafting.
I think as a first build - I played it pretty tight with just maxing 8 stats. Looking back that wasn't necessary - could have lagged hacking a bit with haxxors - same with lockpicks. Crafting except for the big three could have lagged too.

With that in mind, putting some points in persuasion/intimidation is certainly possible and could have some utility. It will give you some alternative quest solutions and may open up a few quests as well. Worth thinking about - but I wouldn't worry about it on playthrough #1.

Blackmill

Scholar

Telekinetic Proxy

No it wont, telekinetic punch only helps with living targets. You need electrokinesis to fight them, expose weakness also works wonders, tho its a bit higher level.

Are we talking about the same bots? I come very close to one-shotting standard bots (look like small tanks) with Telekinetic Proxy into Telekinetic Punch.

Last edited:

ArchAngel

Arcane
Guise, is persuasion or intimidation worth the invested points? I play with this build http://underrail.info.tm/?build=AwG...qqbUPalezghx8BOHNggUcQzGBCYxUKcn7IYydgKRhg1IA and there are some points left that I haven't decided how to spent. Otherwise I can max crafting.
I think as a first build - I played it pretty tight with just maxing 8 stats. Looking back that wasn't necessary - could have lagged hacking a bit with haxxors - same with lockpicks. Crafting except for the big three could have lagged too.

With that in mind, putting some points in persuasion/intimidation is certainly possible and could have some utility. It will give you some alternative quest solutions and may open up a few quests as well. Worth thinking about - but I wouldn't worry about it on playthrough #1.
What I found out is that unless you max Persuasion it is useless which is sad as the skill is so rarely useful. It should not be needed to max it. I have not passed a single persuasion check yet and I put 26 points into it. I quit putting points into it after that. At least intimidation has a combat purpose.

Zetor

Arcane
Yes, tk punch (and implosion too for that matter) work very well against bots, esp the shielded ones. Electrokinetic imprint is also very good + much cheaper to cast, but is only useful if you can force the bot to cross a chokepoint.

Electrokinesis is best if there are two bots and neither of them is shielded, as the shield will stop the bounce.

e: in response to Blackmill/Lhynn's posts

Polanski

Scholar
The Gauntlet was pure fun! Even if there was no reason (plot or other) for my character to do it.
I seem to be spending most of the time just wandering around doing random stuff, without any real goals.
Actually maybe that is the idea with making this game; Bethesda turned Fallout into Oblivion, so now Underrail takes the soul of Oblivion into Fallout.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom