Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Divinity Divinity: Original Sin - Enhanced Edition

Aenra

SniperHF ( you always reply, lol, so it's not my fault i'm tagging your ass :p )
- Any plans, once the editor is out, to lessen animation lengths? If not, as i understand it's a time-consuming endeavour, can i 'edit' any setting myself that would merely disable them? Resulting in a simple 'click-it-happens' situation? Even if it didn't look "right", that's fine by me.
- You mentioned in the Larian forums that you might have a look in the (old) save game editor. That still a possibility?

I (almost) promise not to ask again about either of these. Honest.

SniperHF

Arcane
- You mentioned in the Larian forums that you might have a look in the (old) save game editor. That still a possibility?

I think that was Rhidian or Norbyte, I cannot into programming :|

For the animation thing, I don't think the editor can do anything about that. Pretty sure the times come from blender. (note that I know nothing about Blender either)

eay4rbP.jpg

See how the Duration section is greyed out.

However you could make it ugly I think, if you simply replaced the .GR2 files with something like "still". I've done some mucking around with this to try and remove idle animations and it does seem to work (in the old version). So you could conceivably copy/paste some other short animation, and rename it Cast_X or Shout_X or whatever.

Last edited:

Aenra

Will back everything up and give it a try during the weekend, thanks man :)

[if no further posting, assume i fucked everything up, reverted and pretended i never cared about this anyway]

Gnidrologist

CONDUCTOR
New to the game. (playing enhanced version) Want some tips.
First of all - there seems to be infinite variety of items that can probably be used for crafting. I don't like to be encumbered and my two chars are fighter and a thief archetypes. Don't want to waste much points into crafting skill, while gimping them combat wise. The question is - should i stick to these items/store them somewhere if: 1) have enough spare points to invest in crafting 2) some joinable NPC that could be an utility craftsman join.
I obviously have no clue if there will be joinable craft masters in the first part of the game and don't understand combat system enough to know if i'd gimp my guys, if i don't invest enough in their primary skills. Don't want obvious spoilers, just general advices on this. Btw, are there storage containers that would hold my stuff indefinitely?
What's the general opinion on crafting in this game anyway.

ps (really liking it so far - don't get all the flack for bad writing - it seems just as unpretentiously simple, but effective as in both previous games and maintaining the same and of humor).

ERYFKRAD

Barbarian
Patron
Strap Yourselves In Serpent in the Staglands Shadorwun: Hong Kong Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
Man, in vanilla, you could store stuff anywhere.

• Put stuff in a crate
  • Carry it everywhere.
  • Put crates inside crates.
  • Put a crate inside itself and watch it implode.

Gnidrologist

CONDUCTOR
And how is it with ''enhanced'' version? Guess the same.
Are there actually decent employable NPCs that can do crafting in the game?

Gnidrologist

CONDUCTOR
So, what about crafting? i really want to know its usefulness right at the start of the game to decide if i will or will not us it. I may as well be completely self sufficient with stuff i find and game seems to suggest that, but i want to *know*.

DraQ

Arcane
2) some joinable NPC that could be an utility craftsman join.
I obviously have no clue if there will be joinable craft masters in the first part of the game
There are no dedicated craftsmen but at least one RPC (Jahan, Hydrosophist/Aerotheurge) gets some start in crafting (from talents) and you can find quite a few items with bonuses to crafting skills.

Btw, are there storage containers that would hold my stuff indefinitely?
I expect all storage to work like that but relatively soon you should get something of your own.

ps (really liking it so far - don't get all the flack for bad writing - it seems just as unpretentiously simple, but effective as in both previous games and maintaining the same and of humor).
Well, the main problem here is that it isn't as effective.

There is some competent enough writing, I guess and even bits of actually amusing humor here and there, but overall it seems to rely too much on being 'whimsical', while dropping the particular sort of magic and wonder that makes 'whimsical' work (which was present in sufficient quantities in Divinity 2) and fails to compensate for that with excellent, unexpected humor that was also present in Divinity 2.

Divinity 2 was high fantasy, the catch being that "high" presumably was to mean "as 'on drugs'" in this case.
DOS has no such catch.

Overall it results in expertly crafted and mechanically excellent, but ultimately bland experience.
I'm far from championing "emoshunal engagement" but player really needs *some* reason to care, to get invested in game (at which point the gameplay can smoothly take over) - it doesn't need to be characters or story, it may well be setting or atmosphere, but it needs to be there.
Sadly DOS takes you in for some bumpy ride before you can get hooked on gameplay, and even then low gameplay segments form considerable speed bumps that may even make you drop a playthrough.

Man, in vanilla, you could store stuff anywhere.

• Put stuff in a crate
  • Carry it everywhere.
  • Put crates inside crates.
  • Put a crate inside itself and watch it implode.
Practical application:
  1. Put crates inside crates inside crates inside crates inside crates inside crates inside crates inside crates inside crates inside crates inside crates inside crates inside crates inside crates inside crates inside crates inside crates inside crates inside crates inside crates inside crates inside crates inside crates inside crates inside crates inside crates inside crates inside crates inside crates inside crates inside crates inside crates inside crates inside crates inside crates inside crates inside crates inside crates inside crates inside crates inside crates inside crates inside crates inside crates inside crates inside crates inside crates inside crates inside crates inside crates inside crates inside crates inside crates inside crates inside crates inside crates inside crates inside crates inside crates.
  2. Teleport resulting neutronium/portable black hole on top of enemies.
  3. Loose a roaring laughter, fell and terrible!

Gnidrologist

CONDUCTOR
Okay, thanks. One more question. Is there a possibility to remove AI from your initial companion. I decided to let the second guy in my party have a personality and he keeps undermining and question my decisions. The fucker. It's especially retarded, because he's supposed to be ''free thinker'' rogue/thief character. I was ambivalent, when he stopped me from throwing the talking pearl in the sea. because i doubt it's really significant choice, but he both tried to lecture me about not joining the ''fabulous five'' (some free thinker he is) and outright denied me to recruit Madora. Same with the Jahed or what was the mage guy. I don't want to start my game anew and i need a thief guy in my party. What to do to fuck his shit up and stop him to stick the nose in my affairs forever? Maybe some save-game editors?

DraQ

Arcane
Okay, thanks. One more question. Is there a possibility to remove AI from your initial companion. I decided to let the second guy in my party have a personality and he keeps undermining and question my decisions. The fucker. It's especially retarded, because he's supposed to be ''free thinker'' rogue/thief character. I was ambivalent, when he stopped me from throwing the talking pearl in the sea. because i doubt it's really significant choice, but he both tried to lecture me about not joining the ''fabulous five'' (some free thinker he is) and outright denied me to recruit Madora. Same with the Jahed or what was the mage guy. I don't want to start my game anew and i need a thief guy in my party. What to do to fuck his shit up and stop him to stick the nose in my affairs forever? Maybe some save-game editors?
"Free Spirit" actually means "Contrarian Asshole" in DOS.

If you don't have AI set on your primary PC you can switch to Contrarian Asshole at least for problematic conversations and handle things manually.

Gnidrologist

CONDUCTOR
Where is such option? I don't see it? And does ''manual'' mean. I would have to play the silly rock/paper/scissors minigame all the time. I'm thinking of restarting the game instead if that's the deal.

edit: okay, i found out that if you disable ''dual dialogue'' the fucker fucks off and doesn't interrupt me anymore.

Gnidrologist

CONDUCTOR
Is there any way to dismiss the original companion besides killing him?

Also, where in fuck is anvil? I have couple tons of iron ore from the underground tunnels and there's no smithy or something in the bloody chisel town. Need to process that shit or it will form a black hole in my inventory.

And how the fuck do you RUN in this game? The party crawl across maps like pot smoking hippies and no double clicking or toggle-run present. I'm starting to get seriously frustrated with this game. Start was so promising.

Last edited:

DraQ

Arcane
Is there any way to dismiss the original companion besides killing him?
It's not "companion". It's the other PC.
Think of it as something like Wizardry with party of 2 (and 2 RPCs).

There is something that lets you re-customize your characters not much later in game, but I haven't quite tested the extent.
If you find dialogue AI this infuriating, better restart without it now rather than wasting more time on abortive playthrough.

Also, where in fuck is anvil? I have couple tons of iron ore from the underground tunnels and there's no smithy or something in the bloody chisel town. Need to process that shit or it will form a black hole in my inventory.
Look around. There is a complete forge behind abandoned store on the western edge of Cyseal and I'm pretty sure you can find quite a few more anvils in the early parts of the game alone.

And how the fuck do you RUN in this game? The party crawl across maps like pot smoking hippies and no double clicking or toggle-run present. I'm starting to get seriously frustrated with this game. Start was so promising.
Click further away. If character(s) have long enough distance to cross they will launch into run, but if they only need to reach a point nearby, they will just walk a few steps at leisurely pace.

Gnidrologist

CONDUCTOR
If you find dialogue AI this infuriating, better restart without it now rather than wasting more time on abortive playthrough.
Nah. As i said, with ''dual dialogue'' unticked he buggers off. Just though of recruiting the sewer/tunnel rogue guy instead, but well, whatever.
Look around. There is a complete forge behind abandoned store on the western edge of Cyseal and I'm pretty sure you can find quite a few more anvils in the early parts of the game alone.
Yeah, already consulted some guides. Funny thing that it's so convoluted and herd to get to such a simple thing. It appears that this abandoned shop isn't even reachable anywhere from the main map. At least i couldn't find its location in the place it's marked. Had to go back to underground, where skeletons and rogue guy is, where i completely missed the staircase, which are not visible if you don't go absolutely near them. Then cross some pretty tough mine field and shit.
It's weird that such a common thing for a fantasy game is so hard to get to. Anvils are usually all around the park in most such games, where any sort of crafting is involved. The marketplace would be the first location i'd expect to find one.

Click further away. If character(s) have long enough distance to cross they will launch into run, but if they only need to reach a point nearby, they will just walk a few steps at leisurely pace.
Man, that's lazy from Larian. ;/

edit: goddman, i''m a fucking geographical cretin (concerning the abandoned smithery) :negative:

Last edited:

OSK

Arcane
Patron
Codex 2012 Codex 2013 Codex 2014 PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Make the Codex Great Again! Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire
Hey, this is finally available on Linux. It only took a year and a half.

DraQ

Arcane
Just though of recruiting the sewer/tunnel rogue guy instead, but well, whatever.
Instead of whom?

You seem to be misunderstanding the party mechanics of DOS a big time:
You have TWO central PCs. Each of them can additionally recruit an RPC like that rogue guy (unless possessing the Lone Wolf trait) so that translates to a party of up to 4 (if none of the PCs has Lone Wolf) - 2 PCs, 2 recruited characters.

where i completely missed the staircase, which are not visible if you don't go absolutely near them.
Rotate and scroll the camera often when looking around, this tends to dismiss the fog of war unless very far or physically obscured from party.
Also, you sound like the kind of person who couldn't find the Puzzle Box Caius Cosades - the forge is easily accessible overland by simply walking behind the store.

Man, that's lazy from Larian. ;/
How the fuck is putting extra effort to make movement look natural instead of jerky "sprint start" - "sprint stop" over a step or two laziness?
:retarded:
edit: goddman, i''m a fucking geographical cretin (concerning the abandoned smithery) :negative:
Maybe you should try firing some exploration heavy game before the brain rot does you in?

Last edited:

Gnidrologist

CONDUCTOR
Don't sperg on me, k. :mad:
As for walking/running - games have had the ''toggle'' option before you were fucking born. It's lazy not to include an age old mechanic that has proven to be useful. I don't give a shit about ''movement looking natural''. Oh, i forgot. You're Bethtard larper.

Bumvelcrow

Somewhat interesting
Patron
Dumbfuck
Codex 2013 Codex 2014 Make the Codex Great Again! Strap Yourselves In

The non-EE edition did work under Wine, but I didn't want to spoil its purity, plus I already had a backlog. Time to find out what the fuss/rage/ridicule was about.
:bounce:

Edit: Initial impressions are quite favourable playing co-op over lan. Decently fun combat with the usual dose of groan-inducing Larian humour. Looking forward to continuing once I can bully my companion into it.

Last edited:

DraQ

Arcane
Don't sperg on me, k. :mad:
How about no?

Writing specific code for handling when to toggle walk/run requires more effort and is therefore less lazy.
:M

Oh, i forgot. You're Bethtard larper.
Strong words for someone who couldn't even figure that you have to get around a building to reach something behind it.
:M
Or basic party mechanics, for that matter.

Gnidrologist

CONDUCTOR
Accidents happen to everyone. I went right to the marketplace and its surroundings from the port. Didn't notice the cavity right on the left from stairs. Kinda used to the regular rpg cliche, where anvils and other crafting devices are usually in places, where the appropriate craftsmen hang around.

Toggling walk/run is just as basic as WASD in your FPS game. If you can't/don't implement that it's shitty design, because i don't care about watching my guys walk leisurely around map to see how ''natural'' it is. I only care about getting from point A to point B, especially in the top-down game, where sight seeing isn't even a thing.

Gnidrologist

CONDUCTOR
I have another question. There is a talk that one has limited pool of skills in any given level + vendors stop selling low level books, when you level up. Is it true and if yes, how many skills one can acquire for the every level of ''skillng''. This shit isn't really explained in the game. Obviously, i want only the most useful skills for every of my thugs so how does it work. If i take too many low level skills, does it mean i will be limited to more advanced skills later on? etc.

:retarded:

Yeah it's 26,79 € here now but I'll buy it < 20 euro, I have gotten patient for a better discount. ;)

Also: if you are running an old system (like build to Grimoire specs):
Graphics: OpenGL 4.x compliant video card
so it most probably won't work with a 2009 Nvidia 250 GTS 1 Gb card for instance as I found out the hard way with another game.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom