Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Inactive [LP CYOA] Overlord

Baltika9

Arcane
So, anyone have any arguments on the A vs B topic? Because I'm kind of torn. We do kinda-sorta need the Slime Queen for our territory in our near future and Zayan's research. On the other hand, the warning against humans inheriting the forest and Zayan being an opportunistic scoundrel are kinda compelling, too.

Nevill

Arcane
Shadorwun: Hong Kong
We do kinda-sorta need the Slime Queen for our territory in our near future and Zayan's research.
The importance of Zayan research kind of went down a little, now that we know it is not going to be dick-related. :M

treave, does taking Brunnen mean that we take her whole flock with us? What would they do without their hivemind otherwise? Does A mean that we only take a few slimes with us? Can they multiply on their own?

Is there potential to modify the slimes - sort of what the Dark Lord did to TopKek and its ilk? I would like to try and specialize them in secreting some essence that would stun/paralyze humans on contact, making them function like gelatinous cubes. Would it be possible with Zayan's help? Would it be easier/harder with the queen around (she might be against the idea of such experiments)?

The assault on Grahferde is about a month away, and we have only used a few days from our allotted time. There may be some other possibilities to delay the expedition or fortify the land. Hopefully we won't get distracted by all the shinies and build something really defensible this time.

Last edited:

lightbane

Arcane
In my opinion, A has the definitive advantage of a 100% chance of leaving this place with something gained. While these slime girls may not be that great at the start and will require lots of careful treatment, the time they'll spend "getting to know" the goblins and us will ensure that when they eventually transform into a slime queen, she'll be friendly and loyal to us. What's more, the presence of the slime girls will temporally distract Arlin and Rin, possibly sparing Erd from being lectured for having left Aria half-naked. There's also the possibility that Erdrick has another flashback from his "Heroic days" about a similar situation he encountered at some point. Needless to say, these scenes are always :incline: and funny to read. That's why A is my preference.

With B, the Queen may demand something else in return for her cooperation, which will require more effort and time than we might wish to dedicate. Even if she doesn't, there's always the chance that she simply won't budge and force us to leave the forest with no reward gained. Even if she does actually leave with no strings attached, whatever she was protecting may eventually come back to haunt us for our decision, for not to mention we'll give Methuss free territory to expand and assimilate upon, something which we really do not want to happen.

Lastly, with C we'll most likely scare away the Methusians from this place permanently, but it will undo our previous attempts at being sneaky and at the same time raise a lot of attention. Assuming the Queen joins us willingly (instead of being kidnapped and dragged away), you can bet your ass she'll hate our guts for what we had done to her home, which means we'll have a disloyal unit running around our base, possibly forcing us to spend time and resources to contain her. There's also the fact that said Queen will attempt to betray us/get away the moment we stop paying attention.

TL; DR: A is the safe choice, B is a gamble and C is HURR DURR, PIGEON CARNAGE.

Last edited:

Elfberserker

Liturgist
You know what, I think I flop to safe option.

Flopping to A in slime queen question.

I just discovered that we could have wonderful experience rising and evolving those slimes to queen slime. Think about it! Erdrick merchant pokemon monster raising master training, gotta catch rescue em all and raise tenderly and brutally with zhang jue training style.

Nevill

Arcane
With B, the Queen may demand something else in return for her cooperation
Nah. Don't think it would take much to convince her, not when she doen't really know the reason why she is doing it other than 'she has to'. She is making a lot of sacrifices for an unknown gain - it should not be too hard to make her see this our way. Even staying, she might lose her ability to protect the forest when mighty powers decide to become interested in it - and what would it all be for?

However, once the shit hits the fan, which I definitely think it will, we would be expected to deal with the consequences, or lose an ally, assuming we still need one at that point.

I am afraid you are fear-mongering a little, painting the choice with a thick black brush of what I can't even describe as 'the worst case scenarion', because I see no signs or reasons for the potential disloyalty you are talking about.

Edit: sorry, comprehension fail, confused B and C paragraphs.

Also, regarding C, when did Erdrick drag anyone away against their will without them attacking him first? All people under our command serve us willingly, even Fortunio who joined us under a bit of pressure. What makes you think there is going to be a drastic change in the pattern?

Last edited:

lightbane

Arcane
I was exaggerating a bit with the "kidnapping" thing, but my reasoning with C is that burning down the forest with the knights inside in an extreme display of power and over-the-top violence is also a bit out-of-character for Mercant (especially because of the effort it requires)... Unless he was unknowingly following his angelic desires to bring destruction everywhere, only realizing what he has when it is too late. The Queen may even join us out of fear for her life, but that won't make her a willing ally in any case.

More importantly, killing the incoming punitive troops also means that we will risk the chance of having to kill several women with varying degrees of beauty and age, a course of action which Rance would disapprove.
:rpgcodex:

Nevill

Arcane
extreme display of power and over-the-top violence is also a bit out-of-character for Mercant (especially because of the effort it requires)
Well, we already did one back at the ruins with the Minotaur Lord, though it may be dismissed as flexing muscles before a pretty girl.

Though I certainly prefer Mercant as a sneaky merchant who would fuck you over if he doesn't like you and if there is a profit rather than a JUGGERNAUGHT OF DESTRUCTION.

I would agree that the Queen makes the forest sound important to her, and that burning it down when we no longer can justify it with slime survival (as we would be able to in the last choice) would not be good for our partnership. This might be a decent argument for A, exploring the option which has the slime queen stay and protect the forest after we spared it an Icestorm/Thunderdragon/Gigadyne.

More importantly, killing the incoming punitive troops also means that we will risk the chance of having to kill several women with varying degrees of beauty and age, a course of action which Rance would disapprove.
Ah, yes. Erdrick needs to dedicate more research to spells that would discriminate between the targets based on their gender and hotness score. :salute:

Tricky stuff. A true challenge for an archmage!

TOME

Cuckmaster General
Isn't Mercant at all interested what is in the forest? I mean the slime queen is protecting it and Quekquek was there on behalf of some dark lord.

Nevill

Arcane
Isn't Mercant at all interested what is in the forest?
What do you suggest in order to satisfy that curiosity? Archeological expedition? Goblin scouting parties?

The slime queen mentioned that the forest must not be settled, which implies one would need to do a pretty deep incursion inside if they want to find its secrets.

Kicking the Dark Lord's ass would probably be faster.

treave

Arcane
Patron
Codex 2012
treave, does taking Brunnenmean that we take her whole flock with us? What would they do without their hivemind otherwise? Does A mean that we only take a few slimes with us? Can they multiply on their own?

You take all the slimes in B. The queen can has the ability to recall, absorb and reproduce slimes almost at will, so the number of slimes isn't really important. In A you take about half a dozen slimes which the queen assures you will be enough to get your own loyal colony started.

Is there potential to modify the slimes - sort of what the Dark Lord did to TopKek and its ilk? I would like to try and specialize them in secreting some essence that would stun/paralyze humans on contact, making them function like gelatinous cubes. Would it be possible with Zayan's help? Would it be easier/harder with the queen around (she might be against the idea of such experiments)

Depends on what the experiments involve. They can already release paralyzing substances if at a certain level.

Isn't Mercant at all interested what is in the forest? I mean the slime queen is protecting it and Quekquek was there on behalf of some dark lord.

Even the slime queen doesn't know what's important about the forest, only that it is. That's a pretty nebulous concept to spend time and resources on.

Nevill

Arcane
They can already release paralyzing substances if at a certain level.
Oliver got back on his feet pretty quickly after being separated from his slime.

It would be nice to have an ability to freeze an adult in their tracks.

In A you take about half a dozen slimes which the queen assures you will be enough to get your own loyal colony started.
What does slime multiplication involve? Ample supply of food?

I am interested in how soon we could have the numbers resembling the ones Brunnen does. Asking because the slime girls aren't queens yet.

How much autonomy/sentience do separate slimes have? Can they even be used as soldiers, or are they too dumb for that? Do they need to always be controlled by their queen?

Last edited:

lightbane

Arcane
Ollie-boy was in contact with that pink slime for too little time. I'm sure he would have had a harder time to move had he been forced to fully empty his "natural tanks" (doubly so for an adult). :M There's also the fact that he received an electroshock shortly before being separated, which surely helped him to recover his senses.

That reminds me: the update mentioned that multiple slime pieces from Kekbab were scattered everywhere as we has punched to near-destruction. Can we take a sample for Zayan to investigate? It could help us to replicate this variety of kamizake slimes.

Last edited:

Baltika9

Arcane
Alright, enough wishy-washy indecisiveness: voting for XX B, since I want to see Erdrick attempt to sweet talk a slime queen into following him.
This will definitely end in disaster, but I want to see it.

TOME

Cuckmaster General
Isn't Mercant at all interested what is in the forest?
What do you suggest in order to satisfy that curiosity? Archeological expedition? Goblin scouting parties?

Slime scouting parties. I'm not suggesting that we comb the forest thoroughly, just that we send an army of small slimes to look for ancient stonehenges and whatnots. But the slime queen should know this if she hasn't been hiding the whole time she's been living there. And if she controls the whole forest.

lightbane

Arcane
Just to know: treave, how long will it take until we finish the current chapter? How many more episodes? IIRC, you mentioned that each chapter would have around 20 something updates, but so far we're reaching 30 and yet things are progressing somewhat slowly, I don't believe we're anywhere close to start the foundation of our allmighty BFF Empire yet.

Not that I am complaining of course, so far it has been a fun and interesting read. :salute:

Last edited:

Nevill

Arcane
Thinking about it one more time, I'll switch to A.

We could have forced the relocation if we destroyed the forest fighting Kek. Since we didn't, I am interested in what happens if the slime queen remains the forest guardian.

treave

Arcane
Patron
Codex 2012
The Dryad’s Sapling

“Then. Take these children. These sisters will serve you well.” From within the slime queen, six smaller slimes ooze out and surround you. Blue. Green. Purple. Pink. Orange. Red. There is one of each colour. The slimes bob around in greeting. “Hi!” “Hello!” “Hullo.” “Purupuru.” “G’day!” “Fuck.” Hm. Didn’t one of those greetings sound different?

“These children. High potential. Please take care of them,” continues the queen politely. “Anything else. Needed?”

You make a show of thinking before finally nodding. “There is one last thing…”

Before you return to Grahferde, you set up a teleportation circle in the slime clearing and tasked the slime queen with looking after it. You had also requested her slimes to salvage whatever they could spare on their daily roamings and to hoard it for transport. A forest as untouched as theirs would harbour herbs, perhaps even rare ones, and closer to the mountains there would probably be mineral deposits to be found. You cannot control what they hoard, but the job of sifting through the salvage could be safely given to the goblins. This way, you would have a frequent – if random – source of materials.

Upon your arrival in the goblin village, the first thing you notice is the slender sapling – tall for its apparent age – planted in the middle of the village.

“What is this?” You frown at the tree. It’s in your way.

“Ah, welcome back, Master, Aria,” says Arlin, the first to greet you. He is watering the sapling together with Petze.

“Mistress Rinnefiela brought this back from the northern forest,” says the goblin scout. “It has something to do with the dryads.”

“It’s kinda pretty… No, Lucy, don’t try to chew on it!” shouts Aria, pulling Lucy back.

The slimes you brought back crowd around the small tree, oohing and aahing. “What’s this?” “This? Tree?” “Smells nice!” “Shit!” Again, you hear something different from amidst the slime chorus.

“Ha, how about it, Erdrick Mercant? I can get things done by myself!” You hear a boastful, jovial taunt. Turning, you see Rin standing there, smiling proudly with her hands on her hips.

“You went north and met the dryads?”

“Did you expect me to sit around doing nothing?” she snorted. “Of course I did.”

“And the tree?”

Rin gives you a smirk before beginning to explain. It seems that while you were busy with the slimes, she snuck off to deal with the dryads. Unfortunately, she arrived a little too late – the goblins were not the only ones who had heard of the dryads’ presence. A group of mercenaries from Galbaldy had also arrived in the forest to hunt down the dryads. From what Rin gathered, when dryads were in fear or in pain, their skin would become bark-like in an attempt to protect themselves. In that state, the skin was in tremendous demand as highly efficacious reagents for magic.

“Really? How much do they sell for?” you ask, interrupting Rin.

“I don’t know, find out yourself,” she replies, annoyed. “Anyway…”

Continuing her story, she explains how she came across the dryad settlement in the aftermath of the attack. There, she found a dying dryad, bereft of her skin and left to die. The dryad had managed to conceal a small sapling from her assailants. This, she passed to Rin, sensing that she was not human. If the tree was nurtured properly, it would grow into a new dryad.

“That wasn’t all. I managed to catch up to a band of adventurers that had been guiding the Galbaldian mercenaries. From them I obtained some samples of dryad skin that have been passed on to Zayan. Oh, and I also took one of them alive,” says Rin with more than a little hint of pride. “Bring it out!” Waving her hand about, she orders the goblins majestically in a manner befitting her royal heritage.

The furry little critters snap to attention and haul out from one of the huts a naked man, bound and gagged. His hair is blonde and his skin fair. Besides numerous red welts across his muscular, bare torso, he seems otherwise unharmed.

Your first question to Rin is “Why is he naked?”

“Oh, uh, when I caught up to him, he was already…” Rin blushes and looks away for a while. “He was the only male in the entire band, and he was… cavorting with his female comrades.”

“He was, was he?” You give the man a withering stare. Not one of jealousy, of course, but any sympathy you might have had for the captured adventurer evaporates faster than a drop of water in a scorching desert. The man glares back, his eyes rimmed with red. It seems that he has been crying. He screams angrily through his gag, struggling until the goblins poke at him with their spears to keep him docile. “Why did you bring him back?”

“I thought you might be interested,” Rin shrugs. “For information. And other things.”

You are not sure what other things she thinks you have in mind, but you press on. “And his comrades?”

Rin grins wickedly. “Dead, of course. I made sure to dispose of the evidence.”

The bound man screams again, raging muffledly as he writhes and twists in the mud like a helpless worm.

You glance back at your prisoner, wondering what to do with him.

“Shall I torture him for information?” asks Rin helpfully.

A. You let Rin torture the man for information. Surely she must have gotten better?

B. You hand the man over to Zayan. You have a feeling that she is better at this business than Rin is.

C. You will handle the interrogation yourself. Persuasion is a skill that needs sharpening from time to time.

Even though you were not pushed anywhere near your limits, your experiences in the slime forest have made you stronger.

A. Your stamina and mana capacity have increased. Moderate increase to Vitality and Mana.

B. Your physical ability has increased. Moderate increase to Physical Attack and Physical Defense.

C. Your magical ability has increased. Moderate increase to Magical Attack and Magical Defense.

D. Your offensive capability has increased. Moderate increase to Physical and Magical Attack.

E. Your defensive capability has increased. Moderate increase to Physical and Magical Defense.

Last edited:

treave

Arcane
Patron
Codex 2012
Just to know: treave, how long will it take until we finish the current chapter? How many more episodes? IIRC, you mentioned that each chapter would have around 20 something updates, but so far we're reaching 30 and yet things are progressing somewhat slowly, I don't believe we're anywhere close to start the foundation of our allmighty BFF Empire yet.

Depends. I might split off the adventurer invasion into its own chapter at this point. I have a couple of things in mind. As for starting an empire, it depends on what you think constitutes that foundation. From what I can see, you can actually declare your own independent territory any time at this point. Of course, if you didn't fool around in the capital you would have gotten more valuable contacts.

Nevill

Arcane
“Ha, how about it, Erdrick Mercant? I can get things done by myself!”
This is what it always is about, isn't it? The princess has an inferiority complex - and rightfully so.

Unfortunately, she didn't do that one right as well. Bringing a man before us while killing the women. All the women. She spared the only man in the band. Dammit, Rin.

Initiative is nice, but she has to learn to be a team player and consult with us on these matters. Until then, no bisquit. No pardon until she finds and brings us Wist's replacement.

Give the prisoner to Zayan. Interrogating a naked muscular man is not my kind of fantasy.

There is no option to increase our Mana and Magical Defense simultaneously? Those are our major advantages. Anyway, I've been gunning for more Mana for a while now. A better Doppelganger, two Thunder Dragons instead of one, an extra Lightning Tiger, and 3 whole seconds of Battle Premonition in one upgrade. I think this is fair.

A Vitality increase is not something I care about, but seeing how we can't be healed by potions or anything except our own magic, it is not a stat to dismiss.

BA.

Nevill

Arcane
“I thought you might be interested,” Rin shrugs. “For information. And other things.”

[...]

“Shall I torture him for information?” asks Rin helpfully.
I suppose this is her way of saying 'sorry' without saying 'sorry'.

Accepting her 'gift' is reaffirming that any of her fuck ups could be excused by dumping enough naked males on us.

Accepting her help is saying that what she did wasn't a big deal and we are totally ok with it now. Not to mention that she'll botch this one up as well - there are not a lot of things she doesn't botch.

Giving the man to Zayan is the only gesture that might get it across to her that she is doing something wrong. Maybe if we do it enough times it occurs to her to ask what it is. :M

Blue. Green. Purple. Pink. Orange. Red.
Hmmm. Orange slime? That's new. Maybe this is the one that acts oddly? :?

Last edited:

lightbane

Arcane
You know, with the appearance of that Oliver boy and the increasing importance of natural spaces, social stuff like racism and things like that, for a moment I thought this LP was starting to become something like a perverse parody of a Studio Ghibli's movie. But I like to think not even the Codex would be that fucked-up, right?

Anyway, better change the topic:

1. B>C: Even though it's unlikely the man is going to survive the ordeal, Zay might be better at doing the interrogation than Rin, who's unlikely she had the time to practice her skills (at least as far as we know, or want to know). However, with our luck chances are this man is going to be some sort of royal prince from Galbaldia or the like. Erdrick himself should have a minimum quantity of common sense to ensure he doesn't overdo it, but the others may interpret our choice in a different way than what we intended. :M

Can we check the man for signs of dehydration or hunger before doing anything else? Lest he dies before we learn anything important (at least Rin this time remembered of the importance of breathing :lol:). Also, I briefly considered sending off the slimes to play with him, but I don't believe I would like to read the following scene.
Karwelas' idea is a good one too.

2: A>D: We're a spell-caster first, a muscle wizard second. That one increases stats that are important for both options.

Nevill

Actually it's quite likely she still has a wrong idea about Erdrick's preferences (or is she? :M). However, at the moment it is irrelevant anyway. Good thing the princess hasn't learned about Mercant's current ailment.

That reminds me: isn't this quite a bold move for who's essentially a sheltered young woman (who's even younger mentally)?? Remember her reaction when she first noticed that Erd was naked during the beginning of the first chapter.

Also, for good or bad no-one seemed to notice Aria's lack of clothing upon arrival, not even Arlin himself, therefore sparing Mercant from being yelled upon. Gotta love these convenient offscreen dressers. :)

Last edited:

Nevill

Arcane
Actually it's quite likely she still has a wrong idea about Erdrick's preferences (or is she? :M).
Obviously.

If Erdrick doesn't care to clear that one up, or is too thick to notice it, the best we can do is at least not to encourage it.

However, with our luck chances are this man is going to be some sort of royal prince from Galbaldia or the like.
Why would a royal prince of Galbaldy - whose last King was a mercenary, by the way - be among the adventurers showing the way to the Galbaldian raiders instead of leading the raiding party?

But he might have some relation to Alexander Whats-his-name, the leader of the Adventurers' Guild. It might be prudent to keep him alive for a while.

Last edited:

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom