Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

The Dragon Age: Inquisition Thread

Red Rogue

Learned
Personally I didn't vibe with any of the companions. But then again I really liked how New Vegas handled companions so I guess Bioware just isn't for me.
It still doesn't change the fact that this game was filled with garbage content that was a chore completing.

Xor

Arcane
Codex 2014 PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Divinity: Original Sin Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Divinity: Original Sin 2
Yeah I'd say being "progressive" is about the least offensive thing about the DAI companions. That's par for the course at this point from Bioware. The real issues come from most of them being boring, stupid, or annoying. Even the companions I liked seemed like manifestations of uninspired, mediocre writing.

Doktor Best

Arcane
I actually prefered the companions of Inquisition to the ones of the previous games. Only companion i disliked was that lesbo elf. Romancing shit was retarded and got outta hand but you could avoid it by being a prick at the right moment.

And come on... everyone playing a knight enhancer shouldnt complain about the combat. Its literally like activating god mode in this game. Yes, its stupid game design, but it can easily be avoided by picking a different class.

Last edited:

RK47

collides like two planets pulled by gravity
Patron
Dead State Divinity: Original Sin
trust me babe, i'm better than any of them and i'm pretty antisocial in real life.

Mozg

Arcane
What is the maximum number of followers you can tell to fuck off and they'll actually leave?

Atlantico

unida e indivisible
Patron
Undisputed Queen of Faggotry Vatnik In My Safe Space
Make the Codex Great Again!
The companions were excellent, barring Sera, and watching Vivienne and Dorian verbally spitroast her made up for it.

Sera was stupid, and it felt good that the game allows the player to tell her that to her face. Of course it's like talking to a brick wall, but it felt damn good to tell her to her face: you're fucking stupid you cunt! (in so many words)

The rest of the companions were forgettable IMO, they all try to be edgy and interesting, but it didn't work for me. Their banter is ok to mildly amusing at time.

Stargazer_

The tone of the DLC expansion should've of been the tone of the game. Instead of attempting a bait and switch the plot would've been better if the character wasn't the literal second coming of the messiah who could do no wrong.

Self-Ejected

Excidium II

Self-Ejected
Aretuza.gif

Athelas

Arcane
I like how they completely left out any character that wasn't romanceable, even though they are arguably better examples of diversity (Wynne, Vivienne and probably some others I'm forgetting about).

pippin

you just gotta know that it took hours to crank out that comic and she doesnt even talk about the few good things DA does. Doesnt talk about the lore doesnt talk about the gameplay in origins...

That's a window into the mind of the average Bioware fan.

Atlantico

unida e indivisible
Patron
Undisputed Queen of Faggotry Vatnik In My Safe Space
Make the Codex Great Again!
It just creeps me out that people like that exist. I definitely overuse the term "retarded", but in all seriousness are these people actually developmentally handicapped? In what kind of a relationship is it normal to talk about how you miss Anders while you're in bed with your spouse? Or in any place on God's green earth?

These people are so utterly socially awkward, they make us archnerds in the Codex look like the highschool quarterbacks.

Utgard-Loki

Arcane
of course the strong, independent wymyn is in love with a limpdick omega terrorist with bipolar disorder.

the progress humanity has made. what a brave and amazing world we live in. sickening.

Roguey

Codex Staff
Staff Member
Sawyerite
My cisquisition has ended. When some of you said this was even worse than Dragon Age II, I thought that was typical Bioware anti-fan hyperbole; yet in several ways it is, particularly UI, camera, and combat content. In the entire game, there were only three battles I considered demanding (an arcane horror surrounded by a bunch of melee and ranged undead reinforcements followed by more of the same, followed by a revenant who makes a fantastic entrance, and the two fights with corrupted giants aided by red templars) a step back from even DAII, and of course they were all off the critical path. I laughed when I saw Lead Encounter Gameplay Designer in the credits (and the guy worked on Dawn of War 2 too!). Pillars of Eternity only needs four for me to consider it the better game, and since even South Park: Truth Stick beats that, I'm sure it'll clear that easily.

However, despite the drop in difficulty and the removal of missing/glancing, it's definitely not an action game or Witcher 2 with a party. In most battles, I could just auto-attack and use abilities as they went off cooldowns; in slightly-more-demanding ones I had to reposition my character and be mindful of managing threat, not unlike the previous entries. No reflexes required.

Speaking of Witcher 2, I was amused by how their response to that was to include a minor branch in the prologue and a single main quest branch near the beginning. Of course most reactivity is narrative/cosmetic, though there are some welcome opportunities to bypass combat later on in the main quest.

Also amusing: the sanitizing of sex. Like Fallout 4, there are no prostitutes whose services you can purchase, a first for their respective series. Even though all sorts of Fade demons are invading the world, there's not a single Desire Demon model to be found. Sure, there's one, but it's possessing a man, and during the battle, it only takes on the form of Despair, Rage, and Pride Demons instead of its natural form. I guess pervs should consider themselves lucky that Vivienne and Morrigan's cleavage-outfits were approved.

It does do some things better than the previous games. The art style's still tacky, but the colors are much better. The writing only suffers from Bioware's usual flaws, rather than being exacerbated by a rushed schedule. In DA2, all companions except Varric and Bethany were written with the intention of being polarizing, but here there are enough to supply you with three inoffensive bros (Varric again, Blackwall, and Solas). They were self-aware to know that a lot of people were really going to hate Sera, so she's the only one you can directly kick out (that being said, I enjoyed her song as well as her creeped-out-response to it). They're willing to make fun of past mistakes (e.g. telling Varric that the ending of DA2 was stupid, Iron Bull's healer telling him that you're not supposed to drink a poultice).

It's nice to finally have rooms over rooms (RIP Bioware's use of Infinity Engine code). Exploration's okay, though hampered by the cargo cult use of level requirements on equipment; there's no point in trying to take on slightly-higher-level content when you won't be able to equip the rewards for doing so. This series-of-open-levels structure was a great benefit for the main quest endgame. Too many Biwoare games (and RPGs in general) end with overly-long combat crawls, but that isn't the case here. The last crawly level is one where you can just run past enemies while your army takes care of them, solve a few "puzzles," then ally yourself with a group who will take you straight to the boss fight without fighting anything else. The last main quest itself is just a boss fight. Of course all this main quest polish came at the expense of the last two open areas. Emprise du Lion was the overly-long linear combat crawl I was expecting to find at the end (corrupted giant fights excepted), and the vast emptiness of the Hissing Wastes was only a relieving change until all that traveling wore out its welcome. Still worth it; I'd rather have two annoying optional areas near the end over an annoying endgame.

For the next one I really hope they don't scrap all their systems and start over a third time. Work with this foundation to make the best single player MMO with AI companions they can.

a cut of domestic sheep prime

For the next one I really hope they don't scrap all their systems and start over a third time. Work with this foundation to make the best single player MMO with AI companions they can.
I really hope they scrap the whole team. The lameness must end.

I couldn't stand the MMO-like "Collect all 5 McGuffins", "Active All 8 Activating Things" or "Kill all 3 Whatevers" quests the game was constantly spewing at me, while making me run around giant levels filled with trash mobs to complete said boring quests. The characters were poorly written and unlikable, as was the story. SJW influences nauseated me. Other than that it was ok. I quit maybe 2/3 into the game. Final score: Meh out of Meh.

:dgaider:

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom