Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Fallout Fallout 4 Thread

potatojohn

Arcane
Question: Difficulty settings.

What is a good setting to play this on?
Survival is the most fun. Just pick a weapon type and get the damage perks as soon as you can and you'll be fine.

Also get the luck perk that gives you more ammo.

ArchAngel

Arcane
You're still full of shit because saying that something is "style over substance" isn't an excuse for bad storytelling. There wasn't anything about the stories in Fallout, Fallout 2, or New Vegas that lacked their own internal logics or didn't make any sense. In Fallout you have to find a replacement water chip for the vault or else they'll be forced out into the wasteland, then you have to deal with the Master's Army because they'll eventually find and destroy the Vault. In Fallout 2 you have to find the Holy McGuffin or your village will die, and then they're captured by the Enclave and you need to save them. In New Vegas you're seeking revenge against Benny, but end up getting wrapped up in a geopolitical turf war over the Platinum Chip which effectively makes you Kingmaker. There are certainly individual elements that could be nitpicked in each game, but the central core of the story is logical and makes perfect sense.

The same can't be said for Fallout 3 where you're trying to keep the Enclave from turning on the Water Purifier, when your whole goal is to turn on the Water Purifier, or in Fallout 4 where the Institute has no practical reason for ever kidnapping your son, and therefore the entire premise completely goes tits up. Those are the centerpieces of the games' narrative, and hand waving it away because there are ghouls is just weaksauce bullshit.
Imagining there being some or another medical reason why the institute wanted Shaun is a trivial suspension of disbelief that is inherent in the consumption of any fictional media.

Meanwhile in New Vegas you're shot in head twice point blank and left for dead. A couple of days later after being "patched up" you go on to seek revenge and become the most powerful figure in the land. Now there's a premise that even the average child would find ridiculous.
I agree about FNV, I found that stupid as well. I was thinking how people behind Fo1 and Fo2 think that makes any sense. I kept thinking that for the next 12 hours I was trying to make myself like that game in terrible engine before I quit.

ArchAngel

Arcane
The reason Shaun becomes the head of the Institute is NEVER EXPLAINED. We're just supposed to assume that he was so uniquely qualified that they had to make him their leader.

Actually, given how you usually qualify to become the leader of a faction in Bethesda games, he probably just did a couple of fetch quests for the previous leader and/or killed some bad guy while the dozens of infinitely better suited people there couldn't be bothered with it.
I am more interested in how was he able to become a grown man while he was a baby at a time when you both got released from being frozen. IS that explained?

potatojohn

Arcane
You are refrozen after he's taken.

After you meet him he explains that he finally had you let out because he was curious what you were like and how you would do in the world.

Lemming42

Arcane
I am more interested in how was he able to become a grown man while he was a baby at a time when you both got released from being frozen. IS that explained?

My friend at work was talking to me about this and we came up with the following explanation, I'm not sure how much the game actually supports this though:
You were unfrozen just so you could watch your spouse get shot for no reason, then Kellogg re-froze you after absconding with Shaun. As to why all the other cryogenic pods mysteriously stop working, fuck knows.
You were frozen for another 60-odd years, during which time Shaun became Father.
Nick Valentine mentions that he saw Kellogg running off with a kid right before you arrived in Diamond Shitty. Presumably, this was the robo-Shaun that you meet later - either that or it's just a massive fucking gaping plot hole in the style of Fo3.
As for how Kellogg didn't age in the 60 years between taking Shaun and you meeting him after being unfrozen... umm, synths! Cyborgs! Water Purifiers! etc

Alexandrovitch

Literate
The Institute was fucking around with FEV experiments for no apparently good reason before they decided it would be a better idea to make artificial humans that they could control. All of the Super Mutants in the Commonwealth are dumb as shit, so why the Institute couldn't keep them on a leash and to what purpose is a mystery. To make Synths that are exactly like people, they needed a genetic baseline but almost all of the available subjects have been damaged by radiation. Therefore they needed someone that had no exposure to the toxic environment of the wasteland.

BUT, why it had to be Shaun is never actually explained. They're manufacturing Synths as full grown adults, so it's not as if they needed to start with an infant to avoid the aging issue that's come up before in real life cloning. Really anybody in Vault 111 would have been a suitable genetic baseline. They could have easily coerced your spouse into coming with them and bringing the baby, so it was never explicitly necessary for Kellogg to kill him or her. It's also questionable why of all the test subjects recruited from the Sanctuary Hills suburb, not a single other family has a baby or child that was frozen in the vault. And for that matter, it's never explained why they needed someone from before the bombs fell that was perfectly intact. Vault 81 is a viable community, and the Institute Scientists should at least have been aware of the vault locations. They could have easily recruited any other vault dweller for the experiment. They also never clarified why any of the scientists weren't a suitable baseline, because supposedly they were all sealed off from the outside world underneath CIT to begin with. None of them should have ever been exposed to radiation or the FEV. Most of them have never even been above ground by the time you arrive, and when they do go above ground they're always wearing full-body HAZMAT suits.

The reason Shaun becomes the head of the Institute is NEVER EXPLAINED. We're just supposed to assume that he was so uniquely qualified that they had to make him their leader. My guess is that because he's genetically related to all the 3rd Gen Synths, they need him to be their figurehead to pose as an authoritarian father figure, which is why they literally call him Father. That is of course, never explicitly stated or even hinted at.

Sooo... tl;dr it just works? :gumpyhead:

ArchAngel

Arcane

My friend at work was talking to me about this and we came up with the following explanation, I'm not sure how much the game actually supports this though:
You were unfrozen just so you could watch your spouse get shot for no reason, then Kellogg re-froze you after absconding with Shaun. As to why all the other cryogenic pods mysteriously stop working, fuck knows.
You were frozen for another 60-odd years, during which time Shaun became Father.
Nick Valentine mentions that he saw Kellogg running off with a kid right before you arrived in Diamond Shitty. Presumably, this was the robo-Shaun that you meet later - either that or it's just a massive fucking gaping plot hole in the style of Fo3.
As for how Kellogg didn't age in the 60 years between taking Shaun and you meeting him after being unfrozen... umm, synths! Cyborgs! Water Purifiers! etc
So no real explanation? Figures.
Glad I switched to Stalker CoP with mods instead.
I will revisit Fo4 once it is patched for better performance and at least good UI mods are out.
And some survival mods that require you to eat, drink and sleep.

CthuluIsSpy

Arcane

I will revisit Fo4 once it is patched for better performance and at least good UI mods are out.

There's already a texture optimization mod.
So really, Beth is charging 60 bucks for a game that needs some modder that can do their job for them, a week after release no less.
Yeah, GOTY indeed. Beth is truly deserving of all the fellatio they receive.

Bradylama

Arcane

Kellogg is kept ageless with a combination of cybernetics and Institute Super Science. The real question then becomes, why didn't they make Shaun ageless? Or any of the other lead scientists?

So just to recap, the Institute is completely sealed off from the outside world to the point that they can only get in or out with teleportation, but they were still somehow exposed to radiation and/or FEV; and they can arrest aging but they can't cure cancer.

Immortal

Arcane
In My Safe Space
Kellogg is kept ageless with a combination of cybernetics and Institute Super Science. The real question then becomes, why didn't they make Shaun ageless? Or any of the other lead scientists?

They explain this in the game.. The explanation is shit.. but at least they address the glaring lapse in logic.

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
Codex Year of the Donut Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
More might be coming from Errant Signal: http://www.errantsignal.com/blog/?p=822

I kind of want to revisit Fallout 4 again after this, mostly just to pull a Shamus Young and tear apart how bad the writing and setting in this game really are. And not just to complain about the nerdy stuff that eats away at me as I play (“WHY ARE THERE IRRADIATED SCORPIONS IN BOSTON?! HOW IS F.E.V. EVEYWHERE NOW!? THIS ISN’T WHAT THE BROTHERHOOD OF STEEL ARE ABOUT!”). No one’s motivations make any sense. There are giant, gaping holes in the plot and in the timeline. People do things for no reason, or worse, because the player character in a Bethesda game always needs to be the center of the universe (hence Preston Garvey’s immediate submission of the minutemen to you, the Clearly Better Person, despite knowing you for all of half a day). It’s a master class in how not to write video games.

There are moments that work – I like some of the computer logs I’ve found that help set a tone or express some genuine black humor or bleak desperation. But you get those small moments wandering around and digging into random vignettes scattered around the world. The actual story, taking place right here, right now, to you? Holy jeez.

Bradylama

Arcane

They explain this in the game.. The explanation is shit.. but at least they address the glaring lapse in logic.

I'm siding with the Institute right now but have yet to hear it, so do tell.

I just played through the Battle of Bunker Hill, which is supposed to be an Epic Battle Setpiece while siding with the Institute. No matter how many Railroaders or Brotherhood knights I killed with a super sledge, none of them turned hostile. It just ended up amounting to a ton of free xp and gauss rifles. Only the turrets are hostile to you, and they were hostile to me even when I sided with the Railroad before.

potatojohn

Arcane
I kind of want to revisit Fallout 4 again after this, mostly just to pull a Shamus Young and tear apart how bad the writing and setting in this game really are. And not just to complain about the nerdy stuff that eats away at me as I play
Ha ha, look at me I'm so nerdy and geeky. I get so angry by how Bethesda is butchering fallout! Grrr!

Don't forget to click the ads

Killzig

Cipher
Patron

After you meet him he explains that he finally had you let out because he was curious what you were like and how you would do in the world.
I feel like the story had various drafts that were fucked with late into production. Doesn't Nick Valentine mention that Kellogg was seen in town with a kid rather recently?

CthuluIsSpy

Arcane

I feel like the story had various drafts that were fucked with late into production. Doesn't Nick Valentine mention that Kellogg was seen in town with a kid rather recently?

Yeah. That kid was a synth.

Bradylama

Arcane

It was so recent that the DC government confiscated his property and put it on lockdown for being behind on his taxes. :retarded:

ArchAngel

Arcane
I kind of want to revisit Fallout 4 again after this, mostly just to pull a Shamus Young and tear apart how bad the writing and setting in this game really are. And not just to complain about the nerdy stuff that eats away at me as I play
Ha ha, look at me I'm so nerdy and geeky. I get so angry by how Bethesda is butchering fallout! Grrr!

Don't forget to click the ads
Can someone already give this guy a tag?
I got my for far less retarded posting :D

ArchAngel

Arcane

So really, Beth is charging 60 bucks for a game that needs some modder that can do their job for them, a week after release no less.
For the whole game?
I only know one that works for some weapons.

CthuluIsSpy

Arcane

For the whole game?
I only know one that works for some weapons.

Yeah, for the whole game

http://www.nexusmods.com/fallout4/mods/978/?

Mostly landscapes, but they are the cause of most of the performance issues.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom