Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Obsidian General Discussion Thread

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
Codex Year of the Donut Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
Where did we originally get Seven Dwarves from? Was it Annie?

Don't know, I figured people called it that because it made it more obvious that the game was based on Disney's Snow White than just "Dwarves"

Does anyone know if DSIII or New Vegas started first?

Considering DS3 was a super-cheapo project and came out later, New Vegas seems almost certain to have started first, no? It was certainly announced later: http://release.square-enix.com/na/2010/06/08_01.html

Duraframe300

Arcane

Xeon

Augur
Roguey posted a tweet by Sawyer implying that Obsidian signed a contract for FNV.

Edit:
probably this, couldn't find the post

Last edited:

Fairfax

Arcane
Square signed their first deal with Gas Powered for Supreme Commander 2 back in November 2008, the month when SoZ was released. They only announced DSIII in E3 2010, however, and there's no mention of DSIII in 2009, but that's probably when it started. Tony Evans left Obsidian in January 2010, so it definitely started in 2009.

I'm surprised it had ~2 years of development, tbh.

Someone should probably do some digging in the trademark databases, with all the talk about a possible Kickstarter for a new IP and Stormlands possibly being an IP they get to keep as well.

I don't think that's newsworthy. +M
I think Bubbles was implying certain Codexers would be a good fit for that job. +M
A certain codexer, I presume 8)

Fairfax

Arcane
With Backspace being developed in late 2010, that changes the list a bit.
My guess is:

1 Delaware - Knights of the Old Republic II
2 Pennsylvania - Neverwinter Nights II
3 New Jersey - Dwarves
4 Georgia - Alpha Protocol
5 Connecticut - Aliens: Crucible
6 Massachusetts - Mask of the Betrayer
7 Maryland - Storm of Zehir
8 South Carolina - Dungeon Siege III or Fallout: New Vegas
9 New Hampshire - Dungeon Siege III or Fallout: New Vegas
10 Virginia - South Park: The Stick of Truth
11 New York - Backspace
12 North Carolina - Stormlands
13 Rhode Island - XBLA action RPG? Prey 2?
14 Vermont - Project Eternity
15 Kentucky - MCA's project?
16 Tennessee - Brian Heins' Project
17 Ohio - Armored Warfare
18 Louisiana - Pillars of Eternity 2?

Not sure Skyforge counts? It's more like their WL2 involvement, not a project of their own.

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
Codex Year of the Donut Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
You're making some stuff up there. We know for sure that South Park was New York and not Virginia

Duraframe300

Arcane
Square signed their first deal with Gas Powered for Supreme Commander 2 back in November 2008, the month when SoZ was released. They only announced DSIII in E3 2010, however, and there's no mention of DSIII in 2009, but that's probably when it started. Tony Evans left Obsidian in January 2010, so it definitely started in 2009.

I'm surprised it had ~2 years of development, tbh.

Polish

With Backspace being developed in late 2010, that changes the list a bit.
My guess is:

3 New Jersey - Dwarves
7 Maryland - Storm of Zehir
8 South Carolina - Dungeon Siege III or Fallout: New Vegas
9 New Hampshire - Dungeon Siege III or Fallout: New Vegas
10 Virginia - South Park: The Stick of Truth
11 New York - Backspace
13 Rhode Island - XBLA action RPG? Prey 2?
14 Vermont - Project Eternity
15 Kentucky - MCA's project?
16 Tennessee - Brian Heins' Project
17 Ohio - Armored Warfare
18 Louisiana - Pillars of Eternity 2?

Not sure Skyforge counts? It's more like their WL2 involvement, not a project of their own.

Backspace never got a codename

Or did it

Dum Dum Duuuuum

Duraframe300 What about Project Vermont? It was some sci-fi thing in the Unreal engine supposedly.

https://forums.obsidian.net/topic/57290-layoff-hits-obsidian/?p=1167599

Also, hey, Alvin Nelson posted in that thread saying this:

Must...refrain...from...helping...

Maryland - Dungeon Siege 3
South Carolina - Storm of Zehir
New Hampshire - Fallout New Vegas

Prey 2 possibly

Last edited:

Duraframe300

Arcane
Louisiana is most likely Brian Heins. (As that happened after Armored Warfare). No idea why Sawyer tweets about it though.

Fairfax

Arcane
Backspace can't be Vermont, considering Stormlands was cancelled by Microsoft in early 2012 and Backspace was apparently cancelled in April 2011.

3 New Jersey - Dwarves
7 Maryland - Dungeon Siege III
8 South Carolina - Storm of Zehir
9 New Hampshire - Fallout: New Vegas
10 Virginia - Backspace
11 New York - South Park: The Stick of Truth
13 Rhode Island - Prey 2
14 Vermont - XBLA Action RPG? MCA's project?
15 Kentucky - Brian Heins' Project
16 Tennessee - Armored Warfare
17 Ohio - Pathfinder Card Game
18 Louisiana - Pillars of Eternity 2? UE4 prototype?

I don't think Louisiana can be Brian Heins' project because that booklet looks like a design document. It's also a project in development since what, 2012? Why would they be making these now?
On the other hand, Josh also says "now is the tyme" in his post. Maybe that means it's time to reveal the project, but if a project from 2012 is Louisiana, Obsidian has a handful of other cancelled/secret project we don't know anything about.

You're making some stuff up there. We know for sure that South Park was New York and not Virginia
Easy there pal, I didn't know that, just tried to make it fit the timeline.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom