Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Wasteland Wasteland 2 Thread - Director's Cut

Doktor Best

Arcane
Nah i want to kill some Jesusfreaks. I dont know if that quest is time sensitive so i dont know if i can come back at a later time or if that will fail my quest.

Also, another question: The leadership accuracy bonus, does it also count for the character having the skill?

Gord

Arcane
Culver City Brothel is annihilating my party of lvl 25-28. Is there any back entrance or something? Or should i come back later?

Initially try to position your party without starting the fight. If you have a sniper with high CI and use him to start the fight, you can get off two or three shots from him (depending on AP) before they get to move.
Try to reduce their aim a bit by shooting their arms or spam headshots if you have enough accuracy.
Also, they tend to bunch up in the middle of the central room, around the tables. Explosives are your friend there. Especially rocket launchers.
Try to put one or two of your guys against the wall opposite of the entry point, it offers some cover and can be used for hit and run tactics.
Do not put your chars in the open when possible - at most leave them at the area around the door where you entered, since the enemy can't hit every square there and the distance means that not all of the Militia guys and gals can reach it easily.
I had to reload a few times, but with the help of a few 'nades and a rocket it actually wasn't that bad.
Santa Monica is much worse - more of them and you get that call pretty early during your time in LA.

Grotesque

±¼ ¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Patron
Vatnik
Divinity: Original Sin Divinity: Original Sin 2
I wonder if there's some really overpowered/fun stuff in there, the way I like it.

lu8blM8.jpg

Gord

Arcane
Interesting - apparently you can go above 10 armor now and it seems that you won't take damage if armor level exceeds penetration by a certain threshold.
One of my guys now has 12 armor and I just fought a few Militia soldiers. They would routinely do 150 damage to my other chars, but 0 damage to the 12-armor guy.
That's almost gamebreaking if used right. He's still taking damage from explosives, though, and since his armor is conductive it won't help against energy weapon users.

Last edited:
Playing through Rodia now. I am completely amazed, this town with it's writing, quest design and structure, C&C is truly magnificent. With every new dialogue, every new reactivity I was even more and more shocked how good it is. Better even than Titans Canyon, would say on par with Fallout in quality.

Doktor Best

Arcane
There are some major annoyances in Rodia such as no shortcutting the disease quest even though you found out the source of it by coincidence, but all in all it was a really well done questhub, yes.

Starwars

Arcane
I ended up dropping my replay of the game (DC version) since I kept getting all kinds of bugs and (worst of all) performance jank despite me playing on a way better computer now than I was on the release version of WL2.

I thought the game was OK when I first played it but even barring the problems I had with the DC version, the game didn't really keep my attention this time around.

Explorerbc

Arcane
I tried playing the DC, but it takes ages to load and I didn't even manage to reach the gameplay part. It just makes my pc run like shit the moment it tries to start a game after the party creation.

I don't have a high-end pc, but damn, it runs most stuff decently enough and I certainly didn't expect W2 to be the heavy one.

Gord

Arcane
Dunno, on my outdated mid-range-ish pc it runs relatively well. Loading times are not great but acceptable (hdd here, no sdd either) and framerates absolutely ok. There are a few areas where I get some strange stutter when moving the camera (e.g. Ag Center), but mostly it's fine.

Daedalos

Arcane
The Real Fanboy
Funny that people are still having so many performance problems and bugs. I never had any. And even the original game ran pretty well, except maybe Ranger Citadel.

I guess people really do have old potato shitty unoptimized computers

Villagkouras

Arcane
Finished it at last.

A pretty good game overall. In dozens of hours I played, I think it memory leaked 1-2 times, restarted and no problem.

The ending was somehow disappointing. I expected something more "massive". For example:

The New Citadel was a big nothing. Where is this crazy surgeon, Groochman? Where are the robots? The sewers in Hollywood were a much better map than the New Citadel, I mean come on...

Also, in the final third of the game I don't remember not a single speech check, which is very weird...

Another thing: Everyone (including myself) had something to say about D:OS dialogues and writing. I wasn't impressed with the final scenes' lines of dialogue in WL2, too. Very flat.

Another example:

Rose was taken over and died and not a single fuck was given.

Don't get me wrong, I enjoyed myself that's why I invested all this time to play it until the end. But I wish the final 1-2 hours were more spectacular in terms of writing, skills, battles.

prodigydancer

Arcane
In My Safe Space
The ending was somehow disappointing. I expected something more "massive".
It's common knowledge that they didn't have time to polish endgame zones. Hollywood and beyond are particularly unfinished and it was clearly visible in the release version due to all the bugs and inconsistencies.

What is disappointing in the DC is that they decided to dedicate time and resources to adding VA and "improving" visuals instead of giving the late game a much needed overhaul. Prison, Rail Nomads and Rodia storylines could use some tweaks as well.

As a result the DC doesn't look much better (my personal opinion is that overall it actually looks worse now - vanilla was gritty but at least consistent in that regard), the new VA is garbage, the UI is ruined and all the design flaws and plot holes are still there. That's one solid train wreck we have here.

Last edited:

MrBuzzKill

Arcane
Guys, I'm sorry if I'm being dumb here, but how exactly do you acquire the Rail Nomads location on the world map? Who gives it? In my last playthrough, I remember just randomly finding it through wandering the map. But I want to do it proper now, so whom do I talk to? Nobody gives the fucking location, RRRrr
P.S. googled the SHIT out of this, phrasing it every possible way, but there isn't s a single thread or post on the net answering or even asking about it,

prodigydancer

Arcane
In My Safe Space
AFAIK there's a note on the Radio Tower map that is supposed to give you the location of RNC. Can't be more specific, sorry.

Wizfall

Cipher
Radio Tower map indeed, in the cave where you find the robot and the repeater you have a note indicating rail nomad camp (maybe some perception is needed but i don't think so).

Roguey

Codex Staff
Staff Member
Sawyerite
It's common knowledge that they didn't have time to polish endgame zones. Hollywood and beyond are particularly unfinished and it was clearly visible in the release version due to all the bugs and inconsistencies.

What is disappointing in the DC is that they decided to dedicate time and resources to adding VA and "improving" visuals instead of giving the late game a much needed overhaul.

Hollywood's great as it is and they did polish the endgame. They just didn't add content :M

Drudkh

Learned
So i conjured up a new posse to explore the Wasteland today.... This game really does feel the most like older crpgs of all the kickstarter projects i think. Weird art direction inconsistencies, jankiness and all... (nobody complains about the the IE ingame characters looking insanely nothing like the avaliable portraits) I like the sense of exporation in this game, and i think it will be my personal most replayed of the big kickstarter revival crpgs. (of course hopefully the new Torment and Bard's Tale games are even better)

Another thing: Everyone (including myself) had something to say about D:OS dialogues and writing. I wasn't impressed with the final scenes' lines of dialogue in WL2, too. Very flat.

Another example:

Rose was taken over and died and not a single fuck was given.

Dude, that's part of the Role-Playing. It's your job to mourn, it's not about the developers trying to influence you on how to feel about a situation. ;p

MrBuzzKill

Arcane
I fucking LOVE Lexcanium's voice-over! It's one of the best by far I've ever heard in a game, on par with F1 and P:ST (imo, obviously). And holy shit, I don't know if this is intentional, but he sounds a lot like Jeffrey Combs (his more nuttier roles, The Frighteners) And he kinda looks like him too in the portrait! This weird thing happened to me where, whenever he speaks, I imagine he's actually played by Jeffrey Combs.
Edi: wait, I think I may be being incredibly dense here. Was he ACTUALLY supposed to be him?
dL4qe8i.png

Last edited:

prodigydancer

Arcane
In My Safe Space
It's your job to mourn, it's not about the developers trying to influence you on how to feel about a situation.
NPCs reacting to what happens around them doesn't equal "developers trying to influence you." Death of a comrade is a big deal - especially under such circumstances.

Zetor

Arcane
First impressions of the DC: pretty decent, except for the voice acting (though it does fit the 70's-80's B movie aesthetic, in a way). It's been mentioned before, but getting tier 3 weapons (especially the M-16) right after entering the Citadel probably makes the early-game a bit too easy.

There seems to be some mostly-visual glitch in combat with charging melee enemies: if they move into my Leadership debuff aura, they appear to stop for a moment, then they instantly appear at their target location. This way they also ignore any melee-range ambushes (ranged ones that go off before they enter leadership range still work).

Last edited:

Heresiarch

Prophet
I just deleted all my damn saves in rage because I screwed up Rail Nomads' story. 16 hours down the drain. Besides, I want to skill up my characters a bit better.

It seems that even post DC, shotguns and heavy weapons are VASTLY underpowered. Maybe not so much for heavy weapons, but shotguns are just way too weak and can barely damage anything from thugs to fucking frogs. On the other hand, fucking M16 and Uzi and sniper rifles can demolish anything. Should I still dedicate one character to using shotguns?

Doktor Best

Arcane
Shotguns are basically a support weapon for destroying cover of enemies. Not to use as main weapon, but nice to have for your melee char as second weapon. Same goes for heavy weapon.

Gord

Arcane
Alternatively they can be worth it if you manage to line up multiple enemies for the shot. The new perks make it easier to do since they reduce/eliminate friendly fire.
It's not happening very often, though.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom