Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Eternity Pillars of Eternity + The White March Expansion Thread

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
Codex Year of the Donut Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3706905&pagenumber=680#post453305467

WNmdbpw.png

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
Codex Year of the Donut Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
http://jesawyer.tumblr.com/post/134464020421/aloth-speaks-with-a-british-accent-eder-sounds

melnorme asked: Aloth speaks with a British accent, Eder sounds like a good ol' boy. What accents do Eora's different nations have?

Aedyrans from populated areas and higher social classes tend to have accents close to Received Pronunciation/Standard English. Rural Aedyrans sound like Northumbrians or Scots. Dyrwoodans have General American accents, with rural people tending toward an Ozarks or Appalachian accent. Vailians (from the republics, anyway) have a Lombard or Piedemontese accent.

agris

Arcane
Patron
Infinitron since you and him have a rapport on his tumblr, why not get him to wax eloquent on combat encounter diversity, lock-key mage battles with multiple locks and keys (i.e. real IE-style mage battles) and itemization that isn't as sterile as a surgical center?

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
As usual, Sawyer focusing on everything that doesn't make the game an actual fun experience. Such a nerd in all the wrong ways.

He's focusing on what I asked him. :M

Infinitron since you and him have a rapport on his tumblr, why not get him to wax eloquent on combat encounter diversity, lock-key mage battles with multiple locks and keys (i.e. real IE-style mage battles) and itemization that isn't as sterile as a surgical center?

He's already talked about these things plenty on Something Awful. Well, except for the "lock key" mage battles (I like how you aren't even attempting to make that sound non-shallow), but we already know what he thinks of those. So I don't see that I have much to add there.

I have recently suggested various improvements to existing mechanics such as interrupts and engagement, which he didn't reply to publicly, but I know he read.

Last edited:

agris

Arcane
Patron
He's already talked about these things plenty on Something Awful. Well, except for the "lock key" mage battles (I like how you aren't even attempting to make that sound non-shallow), but we already know what he thinks of those. So I don't see that I have much to add there.
He's talked about the itemization before? Lock-key is just my characterization of it, but I assume you're interpreting this as his view towards hard counters when you say he's talked about it before?

throwaway

Cipher
Wow that seems like quite a radical change. Makes me wonder how different the "definitive post-expansion and patched up" version I'll force myself to play next year will be from what was released (and reviewed 7 times on Codex).

IHaveHugeNick

Arcane
Damn, Josh generally entertains the smallest questions from fans more than any reasonably big name RPG dev that i've ever seen

That's the thing with Obsidian, they really go through the effort to figure all that shit out. They probably have the whole world of Eora planned and figured out down to geology.

Meanwhile in Fallout 4, computers and nuka cola machines are magically working after 200 years in an abandoned village with no electricity.

ArchAngel

Arcane
Damn, Josh generally entertains the smallest questions from fans more than any reasonably big name RPG dev that i've ever seen

That's the thing with Obsidian, they really go through the effort to figure all that shit out. They probably have the whole world of Eora planned and figured out down to geology.

Meanwhile in Fallout 4, computers and nuka cola machines are magically working after 200 years in an abandoned village with no electricity.
After playing STALKER I can almost understand why everything still works and is around in Fo4. STALKER is super empty, you only find some ammo, weapons and food.
Fo4 satisfies my inner explorer and gatherer more (while stalker satisfies my inner murderer more due to more lethal combat), there needs to be stuff , lots of stuff to gather and go through. Since Bethesda designers are too stupid to figure out logical stuff to gather after 200 years (and how the world could look like) they just put whatever and called it a day.

Drudkh

Learned
Not having super specific info on enemies or the whole travel fatigue thing are super mild inconveniences. I can't be the only one who sees this stuff as superficial tinkering. None of this saves the games main story from feeling like a rush job mess after the animancer trial or how the white march is filled with enemies just like the ones in the original game but with stun techniques. Maybe he isn't announcing actual substantial changes over social media but still... This all seems like mere minutia.

I don't see what's wrong with the fatigue system but I loved it and it made sense to me in terms of realism and gameplay (when you don't sleep you fight worse).

I think most people who argue constantly about combat mechanics are sick people (still love ya Sensuki) and the engagement system, with all it's flaws, has some major tactical good points just like attacks of opportunity, and will never ever be as important as how the story feels when playing the game.

I really wish everyone would just copy the Baldur's Gate 2 system and put all their money in making a good story experience, which is what the heroes are there for in the first place.

All this talk reminds me of reading reviews of every game I love---everyone mentions loving everything but the plot---which is what actually happens in the game---and instead talks about the worldbuilding, the combat, the humor, the graphics, and the music. Every game that comes out excels in one of those qualities, yet the timeless games in history coincidentally represent almost all the storyfag-worthy experiences.

Rivmusique

Arcane
Patron
Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire
All this talk reminds me of reading reviews of every game I love---everyone mentions loving everything but the plot---which is what actually happens in the game---and instead talks about the worldbuilding, the combat, the humor, the graphics, and the music. Every game that comes out excels in one of those qualities, yet the timeless games in history coincidentally represent almost all the storyfag-worthy experiences.

Disgusting post, I hope you are the one and only person that actually thinks that. Even then, I'll just pretend you're joking.

Sannom

Augur
One dead Sky Dragon.
That fight was really disappointing. Obviously I was over-leveled, but still, Obsidian should know better than allow a critter like that to be paralyzed or petrified or stuck, especially when she doesn't have any helpers with her. I killed her mainly with Fetid Caress, for crying out loud!

None of this saves the games main story from feeling like a rush job mess after the animancer trial
I must say, I don't get that criticism. Twin Elms felt a lot more lively and interesting than Defiance Bay, it let the tragedy of the Hollowborn sink in (children everywhere!) and it featured some of the most beautiful backgrounds in the game.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom