Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Fallout Fallout 4 Thread

Zombra

An iron rock in the river of blood and evil
Patron
Make the Codex Great Again! RPG Wokedex Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Codex+ Now Streaming! Serpent in the Staglands Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
Tyler Wilde on PC Gamer confirms exactly, exactly, exactly what I was afraid of:

I don’t mind RPGs that cast me as a specific character, so long as I like guiding that character. Shepard was cool as hell. But I also like the blank slate approach, where my character is mine: dumb as a post, extremely charismatic, and fond of big guns. I can have all of those attributes in Fallout 4, but I’m constantly reminded that they’re just stats and abilities layered over this mild mannered woman who, just days ago in her mind, was sipping coffee in her suburban home. She’s nothing like the character I’m trying to play as, and on top of that, she makes no sense. Shepard and Geralt are interesting people who belong in their worlds, but this vault dweller ought to be called ‘Video Game’. She hardly shows any wonderment at her new surroundings, strolling up to a crafting station to fashion a new barrel for her gun like it’s nothing. Her baby was stolen from her, but she doesn’t sound mad about it at all. Thrown into this world she has no experience with and no understanding of, she’s bizarrely calm, regardless of my dialogue choices. She’s a bad, milquetoast character—too defined to be a blank slate, but without any personality traits I could describe.

Heresiarch

Prophet
Just played the TPB demo version of it for around one hour.

For a game using Skyrim engine and looks WAY WORSE than Witcher 3, The framerate is HORRIBLE.

The textures and animation are so 2008's.

The shooting...wut???? So THIS is considered to be a "good shooter"? It is only BARELY better than Fallout 3.

And the protagonist...oh my. Literally within 5 minutes you witnessed a nuclear blast, saw your husband got killed, and started fighting giant cockroaches with a baton...as a normal housewife. 10 minutes later and she is shooting fucking raiders with a laser rifle, as a normal housewife. 5 minutes later I am controlling a fucking power armor and shooting at a deathclaw with a fucking minigun, AS A PRE-WAR HOUSEWIFE. Did she get special corps training or something?

And her voice AND acting were so completely indifferent to all the shit going around.

I just can't take this game seriously. Time to disappear from my HD. I feel dirty even having downloaded it in the first place.

potatojohn

Arcane
And the protagonist...oh my. Literally within 5 minutes you witnessed a nuclear blast, saw your husband got killed, and started fighting giant cockroaches with a baton...as a normal housewife. 10 minutes later and she is shooting fucking raiders with a laser rifle, as a normal housewife. 5 minutes later I am controlling a fucking power armor and shooting at a deathclaw with a fucking minigun, AS A PRE-WAR HOUSEWIFE. Did she get special corps training or something?

And her voice AND acting were so completely indifferent to all the shit going around.
In fallout 1 I got out of a pristine, peaceful vault and 5 minutes later I was punching giant scorpions in the eyes. Wow so unrealistic, 0/10 worst game ever

Heresiarch

Prophet

In fallout 1 I got out of a pristine, peaceful vault and 5 minutes later I was punching giant scorpions in the eyes. Wow so unrealistic, 0/10 worst game ever

The Vault Dweller was specifically chosen and he was expecting the outside world to be dangerous. He was even equipped with a pistol right from the beginning.

And in Fallout 4 you are just a normal house dude/wife who was just enjoying your casual life...and then you become suddenly skilled in close combat, using VATS system, wielding weapons from pistols to laser rifles to fucking power armor WITHOUT ANY TRAINING. You don't even bat an eye at seeing DOG SIZED COCKROACHES (personally I would probably faint from seeing one IRL), and you possess automatic IFF to differentiate Raiders from civilians, and apparently, you as a normal dude/wife, are so skilled in combat that you can kill a dozen Raiders all by yourself, 15 minutes right out of cyrostasis, and rescuing people who are supposedly much more experienced in combat than you - a normal dude/wife, who once again, just a few hours ago for him, was still sipping coffee and playing with his kid.

Lemming42

Arcane

But vitally, Fallout let you approach the game world on your own terms. If you believe your character went out fully prepared to disembowel giant scorpions and slaughter the entire Great Khans from day one, you can do that - but the crucial thing is, the game also lets you play as someone who is very much not prepared (or even able) to go around gutting deathclaws. If the player thought it was unbelievable or not in their character to punch giant scorpions in the eyes, Fallout didn't force them to do it. Compare to Fallout 4, where you necessarily have to kill the Deathclaw (walking away from the quest doesn't count as an alternative), you necessarily have to kill hundreds of people 20 minutes after leaving the vault, you necessarily have to run around blowing half the city up.

It's also been said a million times before, but the Fallout 1 protagonist really is a lot less pre-defined than the Fallout 4 protagonist. The Vault Dweller could be quite literally any type of person, Nate/Nora couldn't be.

Self-Ejected

Kazuki

Self-Ejected
Beat main quest and Nuke Institute.

You character still searching his/her son and ask "what is synth/institute ?" in one of sidequest.

:lol:

Alexandrovitch

Literate
Beat main quest and Nuke Institute.

You character still searching his/her son and ask "what is synth/institute ?" in one of sidequest.

:lol:
I'm pretty sure you can get a similar bullshit in at least F1, and speaking of which, I have completed it some days ago after a huge break from the game and lord oh lord, I really did forget how many glitches and broken mechanic it has at some of the moments, not to mention that I was receiving corrupted save files by the end game(below levels of Cathedral) when I tried to load a game after one of my companions just died in a battle.

ArchAngel

Arcane

DeepOcean

Arcane
Okay guise, what is the simplest way to find where a hired gun is hiding?

Option A: You locate and interrogate possible accomplices of him until they give you the location where the man is hiding.

Option B: You get a cigar, let a dog that you could never have met before if you didn't take him as a companion that appear magically where you mostly needed it just for him to take a sniff on this cigar, he is so good at tracking that he can smell the man for half the map.

Okay guise, what is the simplest way to find a place?

Option A: You have to locate a hired gun that do dirty work, kill him, search his house and find some clue pointing towards a cientist that knows where said place is.

Option B: You have to locate a hired gun that do dirty work, kill him, search his body, take his brain then travel with a robot noir detective to a gangster town that has a mayor that is a ghoul dressed as a pirate then you talk with a doctor that has some sort of dream machine that the people of said gangster town use to get high, your noir robot scientist accept having some fishy implant you found inserted on his brain when he barely knows you but the memories are too powerful for his robot brain because... SCIENCE!... and the doctor tells you will need to help him because two brains are better than one, why?... SCIENCE!... then you travel over transparent blue virtual neurons to relive the memories of the hired gun just to discover that there a cientist that could know where said place is.

Now let's play a game... What option was chosen by Bethesda's "writing" team? Option A or option B?

Self-Ejected

an Administrator

Self-Ejected
Where expecting basics is considered perfectionism
Now let's play a game... What option was chosen by Bethesda's "writing" team? Option A or option B?
Bethesda always chooses wisest option:bounce:

Gerrard

Arcane
Did you guys notice that the combat rifle and the combat shotgun use the exact same model, just with different shit attached to it?

I rarely used PA as well, since fusion cores drain way, way too quickly.
They last for something like 20 minutes. Fine for clearing an area, but for general use? Not feasible.
Try sprinting around for a bit and you'll be able to easily notice the power indicator going down. If you could sprint forever it would probably last like 3 minutes.

Reinar

Scholar
Main fun was just doing my thing and exploring, followed by settlement stuff. That's what I liked in all fallouts really, and it's there again. Story wise, as said, I thought it was cliché retarded bullshit but since I was playing the mother (forced because dudes animations are ugly) and there's the entire son thing, I kinda went full onto it when choices where proposed and surprisingly, it fit proper. I know it's RPG bullshit for some but my protagonist coming out of the vault was behaving completely differently by the time I called it "done". Cream on top was that she was looking quite different too after 80 hours through the wasteland, with half her facr burned, missing part of her scalp and radiation marks here and there (via the surgeon thing in game). Didn't quite expect actual character development to happen in this game but heh, it did, and that surprised me.
Going back to a post almost a week old. This one part ignited a spark in me and I tried to do the same thing - telling my character story via the surgeon. Since it's unimportant and the image is large, I'll just give a link, not embedded image: http://imgur.com/F0jCPot
From a caring mother to the mothafucka kickass wastelander (just in 3 months, heh). I might add some burns later, after I kill some hundred or thousand more synths and suicidal mutants.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom