Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Vapourware Scam Citizen - Only people with too much money can become StarCitizens! WOULD YOU LIKE TO KNOW MORE?

Perkel

Arcane
If this were simply a modern Wing Commander game it would have been finished by now. Oh... and it would have cost only a quarter of the money they've pulled in so far... Not surprising people are wondering what the fuck is going on.

At 2mln it would be basically WC. But people voted with their wallets for 6mln with later streatchgoals changing game from just space sim to space game from 1st person.

Either way SQ42 which will be much bigger than @ 2mln will be released next year without dividing it in parts like earlier they planned.

As of actors they already are finished with all performance and what we see today is just snipes of that. They finished doing mocap for SQ42 few months ago.

Also interesting fact is that apperently for all mocaps they had finished worldspaces and actors played their part with screen just near them to show how it will actually look in game in realtime which doesn't happen (usually actors play their roles with descriptions).

They completely retrofitted Cryenigne so it allow them to have performance capture conversion in real time in engine.

vonAchdorf

Arcane
English language interview with Mark Hamill, John Rhys-Davies and Chris Roberts by the German Gamestar magazine.

Mark Hamill and JR-D both look like hobos.

Solo interview with Chris Roberts as well (English after a few words in German).

Last edited:

JustMyOnion

Educated
Either way SQ42 which will be much bigger than @ 2mln will be released next year without dividing it in parts like earlier they planned.
That's a lot of misinformation here. I'm not sure what their original plans were but it's been a year now since they announced that the singleplayer campaign will, indeed, consist of three parts, although apparently they're more like three games in themselves rather than three parts of a single game. That's been confirmed again in the latest Gamestar, so it's up-to-date information.
Interesting to know that they also said that once Squadron 42 is released it will be sold as its own game, not bundled together with Star Citizen. The same obviously goes for the sequels.
The huge focus on actors is likely because Chris Roberts is also a movie guy, and in movies it's natural to advertise with big-name actors. Plus the relationships with other characters will play a huge role, perhaps the biggest role in a game with this level of fidelity. If their animations can convey the amount of emotions they claim, then having great actors is an absolute must.

Article also mentioned a bit about the gameplay. Squadron 42 will play in a single star system and will be semi-open world, in that you can fly around freely but you're still subordinate to the military, so if your superior whistles you should follow. Unless you have a fetish for Mark Hamill yelling at you, I guess. There will be side missions hidden throughout the game, unlocked by the usual methods - completing certain missions, failing certain missions, simply finding them. Wait, actually that's not really usual in today's industry. Missions will be free-form, you can choose your ship, loadout, wingmen, can even change them mid-mission, you can approach missions however you want, be it Rambo-style or sneak attacks. Gamestar liked to throw around Far Cry a lot. Space combat and FPS will be interwoven, so if you need to infiltrate a space station, a frontal attack will also alert the enemies inside.
They didn't show even a single mission.
The story will be apparently more about setting up the world and characters - lots of interhuman stuff, pirates and so on, less about the Vanduul aliens, that's for the sequels.

:Flash:

Arcane
PC Gamer:
"But here's the thing, I didn't see or play any of this. Squadron 42 seems to still be very much in the early stages of development, and I wasn't shown a working build. Everything I saw was in the CryEngine editor or described verbally by one of the developers."

pcg.png

praetor

Arcane
a lot of misinformation here.

Yup...

The game totally exists guys, 100% positively. We just can't show any gameplay cuz... uh... LOOK AT THIS SWEET DESIGN OF A NEW SPACE SHIP!

well...

that 2.0 alpha mini-"persistent universe" (one system, really) came out recently, effectively "proving" their tech works and the engine can handle all the FPS/ship/interiors/missions stuff. from the vids i've seen, it looks like it'll be a good game whenever it comes out.

now it's "just" a matter of doing all the grunt work of "only" modelling all the other systems, planets, ground ports, space ports, ships, interiors, coming up with some decent economy, polishing up everything and tweaking the numbers to balance it all (i.e. the easy part that takes the vast majority of the time). don't know how many modellers they have now and how far they are in those segments, but imo it's at least 2 more years of work to get it all in the game. and that's optimistic

Perkel

Arcane
a lot of misinformation here.

Yup...

The game totally exists guys, 100% positively. We just can't show any gameplay cuz... uh... LOOK AT THIS SWEET DESIGN OF A NEW SPACE SHIP!

well...

that 2.0 alpha mini-"persistent universe" (one system, really) came out recently, effectively "proving" their tech works and the engine can handle all the FPS/ship/interiors/missions stuff. from the vids i've seen, it looks like it'll be a good game whenever it comes out.

now it's "just" a matter of doing all the grunt work of "only" modelling all the other systems, planets, ground ports, space ports, ships, interiors, coming up with some decent economy, polishing up everything and tweaking the numbers to balance it all (i.e. the easy part that takes the vast majority of the time). don't know how many modellers they have now and how far they are in those segments, but imo it's at least 2 more years of work to get it all in the game. and that's optimistic

They scaled up their numbers a lot since last year. Up until last year they had something like 50-100 devs, since last year they expanded to one of the biggest dev teams aside from GTA or Assasin Creed teams + they have contractors.

In other words they have mature pipeline for content and they are in full production. Getting new content should be several times quicker.

Severian Silk

Will this game be modeling the relativistic effects of time and distance making such things as ships appearing to lag behind their actual position in space? Not buying the game if it doesn't.

Self-Ejected

Ulminati

Kamelåså!
Patron
Star Citizen has a mature content pipeline!

The game is on schedule for a 2016 release!

They are within budget!

07-minister.jpg

JustMyOnion

Educated
Will this game be modeling the relativistic effects of time and distance making such things as ships appearing to lag behind their actual position in space? Not buying the game if it doesn't.
Yes.
They've hired their community manager for the sole purpose of trying out such effects in real life.

Morkar Left

Squadron 42 will play in a single star system and will be semi-open world, in that you can fly around freely but you're still subordinate to the military, so if your superior whistles you should follow. Unless you have a fetish for Mark Hamill yelling at you, I guess. There will be side missions hidden throughout the game, unlocked by the usual methods - completing certain missions, failing certain missions, simply finding them. Wait, actually that's not really usual in today's industry. Missions will be free-form, you can choose your ship, loadout, wingmen, can even change them mid-mission, you can approach missions however you want, be it Rambo-style or sneak attacks. Gamestar liked to throw around Far Cry a lot. Space combat and FPS will be interwoven, so if you need to infiltrate a space station, a frontal attack will also alert the enemies inside.

That's actually dissapointing for me. I had hoped for a more structured campaign on a carrier for Squadron 42 and the freeform stuff reserved for Star Citizen

Metro

Arcane
Beg Auditor
One star system? Wut? That's quite strange for a single player campaign focused game. Especially compared to Wing Commander.

Makabb

Arcane
Shitposter Bethestard
One star system? Wut? That's quite strange for a single player campaign focused game. Especially compared to Wing Commander.

It will be open world, meaning one big level, like fallout 4 for example.

r.i.p wing commander

Grotesque

±¼ ¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Patron
Vatnik
Divinity: Original Sin Divinity: Original Sin 2
wake me up when three distinct Bethesdards are posting one after another.
that would be sight to behold!

Last edited:

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom