Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Star Wars: The Old Republic will kill WoW - outsourced to Broadsword

Bliblablubb

Arcane
Bliblablubb I forget who your other characters are besides "Codexia."
And yet you already listed my Shit Warrior as well. LIAR!

I suspected it from the start of 4.0, but now I know. They have cut content from earlier areas. Mostly for the better - trash mob fights and quests "kill N baddies for shit reward and possibly lulzy cutscene". But I will miss Czerka Base on Tatooine. There was a whole underground level and now just an elevator to final quest area. Again, the level was filled with droids and was a slog. But it was somewhat nonlinear (for BW game) and I have fond memories of incidental pvp there. Both pubs and imps have planet quest there and area was not instanced. And even trash mobs were more or less justified with an idea of highly secured base on lock down.
They didn't cut that? IIRC that's "That thing Czerka found" or how it is called for the other faction. It's the planetary questline, so it should still appear in prrrple for you.
EDIT: I misread. You mean it's still there but they cut the whole approach? Welp, nothing of value was lost.
Can Bioware possibly be more lazy when it comes to story?

I read the beginning of the Fallen Empire arc and it is beyond stupid. Even DBZ would be ashamed.
Kinda
Well, the fallen empire is his real playground. He just wrecked havoc in the old galaxy parts to fuel his immortality and keep them weak enough so they don't come knocking at his playhouse. He plans millenia ahead so it's not really lazy writing. How the whole "emperor is now inside you" part will play out.. we'll see. Knowing him he planned that all along, maybe because his body gave up and he wants to eventually take over yours.
I agree with you however that his son is a very weak villain, and Threedog is the worst possible VA they could use for it. Yet, there is still his sister, who is the REAL threat and you can bet your ass she will replace him after we get our bossfight of the week in the next chapter.

Last edited:

Mangoose

Arcane
Patron
Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity
If they follow their normal procedure they'll nerf the companions so hard that they'll now be useless...then they'll buff them to too hard, and then nerf them again, etc. They may have them somewhere balanced in time for 5.0 by which time they'll have changed everything again and it'll all be pointless.
Companion healing, damage, and base stats have been increased. Character Level and Companion Influence Level will determine the exact amount:
  • Companion healing has been increased by approximately 48%.
  • Companion damage has been increased by approximately 15%.
  • Companion base stats have been increased by approximately 15%.
:M
Mind you healing stance was already the best (and OP) post-nerf.

hakuroshi

Augur
Fucking shame. Honestly, I never even felt the nerf everyone was whining about. Maybe in endgame heroics?

Crazed Weevil

Prophet
If they follow their normal procedure they'll nerf the companions so hard that they'll now be useless...then they'll buff them to too hard, and then nerf them again, etc. They may have them somewhere balanced in time for 5.0 by which time they'll have changed everything again and it'll all be pointless.
Companion healing, damage, and base stats have been increased. Character Level and Companion Influence Level will determine the exact amount:
  • Companion healing has been increased by approximately 48%.
  • Companion damage has been increased by approximately 15%.
  • Companion base stats have been increased by approximately 15%.
:M
Mind you healing stance was already the best (and OP) post-nerf.
Bouncy, bouncy...

Next one will nerf again. It would help if they could decide if the want Heroics to be done in a group or not...at the moment you don't need one to do any of them if you have half a brain regardless of what you are doing and the companions just make it even easier. It wouldn't matter if they set the companions back to what they were pre-4.0 even, the Heroics 2s and half the Heroic 4s were still easy to solo. Currently the only Heroic that is slightly difficult is the Star Fortress one and that's mainly because of some of the mechanics are a bit glitchy and you can end up swamped by adds (or eating your companion in healing stance because they generate so much threat overhealing you).

Fucking shame. Honestly, I never even felt the nerf everyone was whining about. Maybe in endgame heroics?
There aren't any endgame Heroics really...especially now with equalised gear and levels. Heroic bosses often have mechanics that could do with interrupting or at least don't stand in the red, but even the daily mission ones don't do anything special that you have to deal with or die. Only difficult bosses are in the Flashpoints. If you don't bother with gearing and just mash the keys on your keyboard then they could be difficult. I've seen a fair few players get killed 1-on-1 by silvers in Heroics, not to mention golds. I also note how long it takes some people to kill things in this game...it's painful watching a level 50+ player take more than a minute to kill a gold enemy...

Half the problem I find with a lot of players is that there isn't any power curve to the enemies to help them train to play better. Level 1-10 enemies do the same things as level 40-50 levels enemies do. Sure they have mechanics; knockbacks, stuns, pulls, slows, etc. But because they use them from the start, instead of adding them slowly as you level, they are tuned to be more annoying than life threatening so they don't scare new players off by being too hard. They end up never learning how to do a proper rotation or what even half their abilities are there for because there isn't a real need to. But then put those players who have levelled with that system in a group on Flashpoints & Heroics and BAM! You wipe on the first pull of a trash mob because those were designed for players who knew how to play well. Like how to long term stun and not break it early or knew what abilities were worth interrupting (or even that they could interrupt) or knew when to use defensive cooldowns or even knew what their role was in a group and actually do it!

Kefka1134

I pretty much just think of this game as KOTOR3, even call it that in my head to be honest none of this Star Wars: The Old Republic MMORPG business..

Bliblablubb

Arcane
Half the problem I find with a lot of players is that there isn't any power curve to the enemies to help them train to play better
Yeah, you can basically just spam your basic attack to kill any enemy, even bossmobs. In the old days you had to at least use interrupts to not die, now the companions heal more than any enemy can dish out. I had no urge to team up with other players even when the game required you to halfway know your shit, but now I expect sorcs to do nothing more than forcelightning on everything, breaking CC with great ignorance.

Heh, when I joined a group on Alderan a while ago for the world boss, on of those sent me a tell thanking me for my surprise healing. Considering that Pebbles is a shitty healer and I just bubbled/base healed the tank after the 3rd wipe, it really says a lot about about the expected skill of players these days...

Mangoose

Arcane
Patron
Half the problem I find with a lot of players is that there isn't any power curve to the enemies to help them train to play better
Yeah, you can basically just spam your basic attack to kill any enemy, even bossmobs. In the old days you had to at least use interrupts to not die, now the companions heal more than any enemy can dish out. I had no urge to team up with other players even when the game required you to halfway know your shit, but now I expect sorcs to do nothing more than forcelightning on everything, breaking CC with great ignorance.

Heh, when I joined a group on Alderan a while ago for the world boss, on of those sent me a tell thanking me for my surprise healing. Considering that Pebbles is a shitty healer and I just bubbled/base healed the tank after the 3rd wipe, it really says a lot about about the expected skill of players these days...
People don't even know how to Kolto-heal in Tactical Flashpoints nowadays... If 4 DPS friggin queue up then go babysit a Kolto-station. I can do one and I'm still DPSing 99% of the time, but I still need someone else by another because I can't run that fast sometimes. Ffs they dumb down Flashpoints by giving people an extra tool and they don't know how to use it and self-assplode.

companions heal more than any enemy can dish out
Hilarious thing about this current un-nerf is that they only focusing on increasing healing.

Mangoose

Arcane
Patron
I'm not quite getting the vitriol for the Trooper Companions.

M1-4X is awesome and loves whenever I want to kill anything.
Jorgan will support me when I want to lie and hide shit for good reasons.
Elara is stick-up-ass, yeah, but she is an annoying character anyway and I'll never take her with me.

What I said has nothing to do with the storyline.*

---

Anyways, can we set up a faux Republic guild? Because I have 2.5 Pub character stories to finish, and only 1 Imp left (I should've saved my Sith Warrior for later). So I am not aware if you guys want to group up unless I pop in now and then. But if we have a mini Pub guild you guys can pop in and call me back over, I have no problem with that.

Last edited:

Wolfe

Arbiter
Mangoose, you've probably mentioned it before, but what makes the IA storyline so great? I've still got a few days of subscription left and was wondering whether I should go through it.

Mangoose

Arcane
Patron
Mangoose, you've probably mentioned it before, but what makes the IA storyline so great? I've still got a few days of subscription left and was wondering whether I should go through it.
Well, I wouldn't say great as much as it's better than the rest. It's.. pretty good? Anyways, it's well written - the story doesn't always go where you expect and the story has you act as Imperial Agent would (for example the Sith Inquisitor does jack shit of Inquisitioning or politics/backstabbing, other class storylines are just too simple and straightforward, etc.). There are actually a few choices that cause a mild/moderate amount of story branching. I heard the Smuggler is similar.

I guess in other words, the IA story actually has you thinking a bit about your choices during situations. More monocle than classes where you're picking a choice more for entertainment or "roleplaying a personality" (though that can still be fun if done well e.g. Sith Warrior).

Of course in the end it's really just cosmetic roleplaying.

I probably wouldn't spend my time if I didn't like Star Wars, but I do, so I play lol.

Mrowak

Arcane
Project: Eternity
I am playing "Shadow of Revan" expansion now. It's so boring at this point I cannot imagine redoing this content with another class. They abandoned all pretences of gameplay at this point - it's just "go down this corridor and kill shit". Granted that is the staple of the whole game, but I felt that earlier objectives were somewhat more varied. Or maybe the story was more interesting?

For a brief moment I considered extending my subscription beyond 2 months I paid for, but I am burning out quickly. 'fraid "Fallen Empire" would be just as uninspired.

Mangoose

Arcane
Patron
I am playing "Shadow of Revan" expansion now. It's so boring at this point I cannot imagine redoing this content with another class. They abandoned all pretences of gameplay at this point - it's just "go down this corridor and kill shit". Granted that is the staple of the whole game, but I felt that earlier objectives were somewhat more varied. Or maybe the story was more interesting?

For a brief moment I considered extending my subscription beyond 2 months I paid for, but I am burning out quickly. 'fraid "Fallen Empire" would be just as uninspired.
Well the vanilla game has 8 separate storylines. I wouldn't play any one of them more than once (well, maybe Agent, because I completely forgot the story past the prologue).

Same for the expansion. I doubt I'd play either more than once because it seems like there's little class-specific content. I already avoid doing the same planetary quests/side-quests as much as I can... Unintentionally, I might add, as I did some Flashpoints and Event Week stuff which would keep me always meeting the level requirement of the next class storyline quest.

Actually come to think of it, there are more varied objectives in some of the quests in the original game. The quests on Voss for example, especially the "meditation/mystic challenge" one (whatever it's called).

Mrowak

Arcane

Elara is stick-up-ass, yeah, but she is an annoying character anyway and I'll never take her with me.

---

Anyways, can we set up a faux Republic guild? Because I have 2.5 Pub character stories to finish, and only 1 Imp left (I should've saved my Sith Warrior for later). So I am not aware if you guys want to group up unless I pop in now and then. But if we have a mini Pub guild you guys can pop in and call me back over, I have no problem with that.

I would be up to some Pub action, and I would like to play some class story missions and flashpoints together (doing other stuff is pretty much pointless).

Mangoose

Arcane
Patron

---

I would be up to some Pub action, and I would like to play some class story missions and flashpoints together (doing other stuff is pretty much pointless).
Sure. My Pubs are "Marawanda," "Mahl-Lawd", and "Fems-hep."

Playing "Azuhla" on Imp side if you meant both Pub and Imps.

---

Edit: It will be easiest to catch me on "Fems-hep" right now. Only popping in Lubes and Bro-sef to check GTN and deposit stuff in guild bank, and the rest I'm saving to level later. (I will definitely play the others if you want, but I'm just saying you'll find me on "Fems-hep" 90% of the time.)

Last edited:

Mangoose

Arcane
Patron
So there's a sale starting in 1 hour. Kinda shitty, just 25% off all Cartel Market Packs.

But those Grand Weapons Packs are so cheap (75CC) I'm just gonna buy as much as I can lol. With 500CC you can get 6 of them. And then sell the ones you don't want on the GTN, stuff those creds in the Guild Bank and/or buy something you want with those creds.

Nevermind, it's not worth it. I checked the Collections and most everything looks shitty. I'll just spend whatever CC I still have I guess.

Last edited:

Gideon

Novice
The sale is underwhelming. Currently being tempted by the WoW sale, until I get a new sub.

Mangoose

Arcane
Patron
Almost done with my Trooper. Level 46 before finishing Chapter 2 because of doing bounties and flashpoints.

I'll be leveling my Bounty Hunter next so I'll be very reachable to play with the Guild in a few days.

Mrowak

Arcane
Just started playing Jedi Consular. While the start was very underwhelming (in comparison to Sith Lord) now things start looking a little bit... different than I expected. Perhaps different gameplay from what I am used to helps here in this case.

Also, Knights of the Fallen empire proved to be a marked improvement over other dlc... but only storywise. Gameplay still comes down to going down corridors. Meh.

Mangoose

Arcane
Patron
Just started playing Jedi Consular. While the start was very underwhelming (in comparison to Sith Lord) now things start looking a little bit... different than I expected. Perhaps different gameplay from what I am used to helps here in this case.

Also, Knights of the Fallen empire proved to be a marked improvement over other dlc... but only storywise. Gameplay still comes down to going down corridors. Meh.
What's your character name? I'm almost done with my Trooper so if you're leveling a Pub, I have a Sentinel and a Gunslinger that need to be leveled.

Edit: Or we can run some FP right now or somethin

Vaarna_Aarne

Notorious Internet Vandal
MCA Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2
5nurud.jpg

Mrowak

Arcane

What's your character name? I'm almost done with my Trooper so if you're leveling a Pub, I have a Sentinel and a Gunslinger that need to be leveled.

Edit: Or we can run some FP right now or somethin

It's Malac-ross. I already friended all your pub chars.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom