Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Game News Pillars of Eternity: The White March Part 2 coming late January

Tigranes

Arcane
Interestingly, the idea that spellcasting is hampered by heavy armour presupposes that said spellcasting involves such massive contortions of your limbs that plate mail would just get in your way of the gestures. Hence, to cast fireball,

448779e259f0ab7e881cd635a1d9e6f4.gif

Grotesque

±¼ ¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Patron
Vatnik
Divinity: Original Sin Divinity: Original Sin 2
PoE = unimaginative, barren experience.

Two thirds of the game I played just to get it finished and when it was done I felt relief.
Superfluous writing where souls subject was done to death and forcefully crammed in every fuckin aspect of society.
I hoped for a more discrete subject approached but it was spoon fed by the tone.

Biggest disappointment since Oblivion.

PoE2? I learned my lesson so I'll pirate it first and then added to my collection if it passes the quality test

Xeon

Augur
Aside from Arcanum allowing you to talk to dead people, don't remember other games with souls. at least any recent games.

Jaesun

Fabulous Ex-Moderator
Patron
MCA
Ultima VIII: Pagan had the Death Speak spell, which you had to use in order to learn all of the spells of Necromancy, from all of the dead Necromancers.

Visbhume

Prophet
One thing I like about PoE is that may evil NPCs give semi-convincing reasons for their actions... it's easy to acquiesce to some really bad ideas.

The load times are bad but the intra-travel times across already explored maps are almost worse. I want insta-travel for already explored maps.

Bester

⚰️☠️⚱️
Patron
Vatnik
I'm here considering modding this game in the future, obviously after Obisidian finishes balancing it.
1) By the time Obshitian finishes patching their inadequate code, there will be no more people interested in either modding their game, or playing their game with mods. Their continued efforts to constantly release new code updates all the time are thwarting any potential modding efforts. They either don't give a fuck or they see that nobody wants to mod their shitty game anyway.

2) They released an unmoddable game from the start and this is clearly visible in retrospect now that we can compare PoE to some actually moddable Unity based games such as Skylines. For example, from what I've been told, Skylines loads meshes and texture maps simply from files, which are under some open formats, and in comparison nobody figured out how to modify PoE assets almost a year after release. There's a strong possibility that nobody ever will.
Skylines even has a C# compiler shipped with it and before each launch it reads user-made scripts (that you put there simply in form of text), compiles them into a dll and hooks it up into the game. How cool is that. This could've been done for PoE, you could easily add/modify each spell, each class, each mechanic that way. None of that was done, although it was promised.

3) There isn't a single content mod for PoE. There is one guy who is making a quest and dialogue editor, but by the time he finishes, who's gonna make any quests whatsoever? (and why? the game is shit.. and you still can't make new NPCs) Nobody's playing PoE anymore, there's no more community.

Forget modding.

Xzylvador

Arbiter
Patron
Divinity: Original Sin 2 Bubbles In Memoria A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pathfinder: Kingmaker Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture
PoE = unimaginative, barren experience.

Two thirds of the game I played just to get it finished and when it was done I felt relief.
Superfluous writing where souls subject was done to death and forcefully crammed in every fuckin aspect of society.
I hoped for a more discrete subject approached but it was spoon fed by the tone.

Biggest disappointment since Oblivion.

PoE2? I learned my lesson so I'll pirate it first and then added to my collection if it passes the quality test

QFT, had the exact same feeling.
Boring bland crap. The story was never engaging at all, most of the NPC's were bland (I did like Durance; the only thing of the game worth remembering. Even MCA's other character, Grieving Mother or whatwasit felt too predictable).
If you're gonna copy a setting, at least do it well. Just putting new names on existing things doesn't make 'em new or original.
Adra had promise and I think a good game could be made with a story around something involving it; the soul thing they ended up using was unoriginal and again, far too predictable imho.
The backer NPCs with lousy out-of-place stories were just... ugh.

Visbhume

Prophet
I'm mid-way through the game and I'm interested in the whole metaphysics of the world and the motivations of the Leaden Key.

There are worthwile companions besides Durance & GM. I like Eder, just because he is a decent chap and not some deeply traumatized weirdo with a convoluted backstory, it doesn't mean that he isn't well-written.

What annoys me more about the game are the loading times and slow intra-map travel. Backtracking across an already explored map is never fun.

Suicidal

Arcane
I'm mid-way through the game and I'm interested in the whole metaphysics of the world and the motivations of the Leaden Key.

There are worthwile companions besides Durance & GM. I like Eder, just because he is a decent chap and not some deeply traumatized weirdo with a convoluted backstory, it doesn't mean that he isn't well-written.

What annoys me more about the game are the loading times and slow intra-map travel. Backtracking across an already explored map is never fun.

I think PoE might be the first storyfag party-based RPG that didn't have any companions I truly hated (yes even the mighty Torment had a companion I fucking couldn't stand and it was Annah). Not all of then were exceptionally good, but none of them I found unbearably annoying. I think Aloth was the closest to being an annoying cunt but even he was far from the crap I had to endure when playing Dragon Age, for example. I was certain I would hate Pallegina before I met her because I assumed she would be the "STRONK WOMYN IN THE MANS WORLD" type but she seemed reasonably chill about the whole matter so I found her alright.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom