Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

So how's Darghul coming along?

azerty

Educated
Hello :)
Are some people still coming on this forum? :)

Agesilaus

Antiquity Studio
Patron
Developer
Grab the Codex by the pussy Codex USB, 2014 Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
Such a shame, Teudogar was fun and the world could always do with more games that look like Ultima 7.

*ARNE*

Educated
BIG HI TO ALL TEUDOGAR FANS !!

This is Arne. I am the graphic designer of Teudogar !
First i would like to say THANK YOU SO MUCH for all
the comments and the great feedback you gave to us
all over the years !! This is wonderful !
I am impressed that you guys are still there !!

Well...it is a long time ago that i have worked with Wolf on Teudogar.
It came over me to download a version of it, because i lost all
my developer passwords for the full version
(...some old computers crashed, CD´s broke and so on...)

While i was playing it ...AGAIN... i thought about all the work we had to do.
For my part...i remember every single pixel (and the technical problems around it :))
So it´s just great to read that you guys like my work and the entire project !!
I know: Shame on me that i never used this room before.

It was pretty tricky to paint and draw with all these restrictions Wolf gave to me:
Historically accurate setting in a low VGA resolution,256 colors,3-6 phase animations (lol) !!
Repaintings all the time,even the birds eye view was killing me sometimes etc,etc...
All these damn tiles ...well... just gliding in memories...

So now, to all the fans who are still waiting for Darghul:
I am sorry, but i cannot tell you anything new, because i am not
in contact to Wolf anymore.I moved to different places and Wolf
is still in China as far as i know. At least i know he is alive...
he wrote me a short letter after i downloaded a full version
via paypal: "...designer should not pay for their own work ! "
LOOL.. had to laugh about it !

I hope you had or will have a good time with TEUDOGAR
( perhaps in Darghul you can see parts of my soul again ;-)

THANKS TO EVERY SINGLE TEUDOGAR PLAYER !!

Merry Xmas and a fantastic 2015 !!

Arne

Last edited:

azerty

Educated
THank you for this message, yes Teudogar is a great game, we can play it with pleasure even years after having finishing it :)
I hope that we will have the joy to see Darghul one day :)

Hi Arne, hi everybody!

It's great to hear from a former developer. I really loved your art in Teudogar. There are just not enough RPGs in that graphical style for my taste. I liked the many little details.
I really hope Darghul will be released, preferably in my lifetime. ;) On the site there's still "2013" as release date...

I wish you all the best everyone - have a merry christmas and a successfull year 2015!
And never give up hope for Darghul - new year, new luck I guess. ;)
Cheers

azerty

Educated
I just read those one more time... It seems so cool :) All the new features, the length of the story... Oh please, please, please Wolf, I hope you manage to find the time to finish this amazing project ! All our encouragement !

http://darghul.com/newe.htm

game world:
- There were no cities or castles or large dungeons in Germania; consequently there are none in Teudogar. There are, however, in DARGHUL: Many cities, from large (Ranaghol, Naramanca) to medium size (Karad-Dur, Unghol); several huge castles (Sagadur, Persapor); many villages in between; also many people living somewhere in the wilderness; lots of orc settlements; also Elves (Lolandriel) as well as Dwarves (Karad-Dur); several wrecked cities; and countless tombs, ruins, temples, caves, dungeons and so on almost everywhere.
- Teudogar's game world consists of a couple of individual locations and nothing else; DARGHUL has a large continuous game world, i.e. not just the main cities but also all forests, swamps, orc villages, caves, temples, tombs, ruins and so on that can be found between the cities; i.e., you can actually walk all across the continent without interruption.
- Teudogar: traveling via a travel screen; DARGHUL: travel either by simply walking from one end of the game world to the other end, or by using the services of wizards who can teleport you to most locations, or teleportation scrolls (will teleport you to one specific location), or teleportation anchors (using one anchor will teleport you to the place where the 2nd anchor has been placed), or teleporter fields (all destinations), or the teleport spell (all destinations). (All of these means of teleportation can be acquired over the cause of the game; when you start the game, you have none.)
- The game world is huge, with about 12,720,000 fields (and about 2,900,000 objects). In total, there are about 185 locations (among them several larger cities and castles, and about 360 caves and dungeons). (The original DARGHUL's game world consisted of only 25 locations with about 409,000 fields; thus, the new version's game world is 31 times larger.)

gameplay:
- There are some new game elements such as levers, switches, teleportation fields, as well as magical scrolls and potions and so on.
- Repairing weapons, weaving, fishing and so on remains available. Additionally, you can now brew magic potions, repair clothes, spin yarn, bake bread or smoke fish, etc. My goal was to enable you to actually use every object you see within the game.
- More than 50 unique magical objects (Goram's sword, fireball sceptre, cup of healing, teleportation anchors and many more) can be found and fought for at several locations all across the continent.
- Historians can tell you what kind of magical items exist and where they might possibly be found.
- If a place such as a dungeon, ruin, tower or tomb is locked, seers can often tell where the key can be found. You can also ask seers about the whereabouts of any special/magical object you've heard about.
- You can consult geographers about locations you've heard about; they can draw these onto your map; this is useful since you need to know where a location is in order to get there via teleportation.
- Across the continent, dozens of wizards teach different spells or sell magical reagents. (Seers can give you hints about who teaches what.) A lot more spells than Teudogar (the usual Fantasy curriculum - Fireball, Explosion, See-through-Walls, Open, Teleport and much more). (Some of these spells use magical energy.)
- Lots of commerce, with taverns, food stores, smiths, healers etc in most cities. (BTW, the bartering system has been significantly improved, see below.)
- There are countless dungeons with lots of monsters and treasures. Typical fantasy creatures such as Orcs, Goblins, Demons, Giant Spiders, Skeletons, Evil Wizards, Zombies, Poisonous Worms and lots of others exist and are plentyful, at least below the surface of the earth.
- Weapons and Armor: Mostly similar to Teudogar; some additional kinds of armor (e.g. better protection for your legs), a few more weapons (e.g. mace), more missile weapons (see below), and lots of magical weapons/objects. (Since this is a Fantasy game, where magic is pretty powerful, special magical objects/weapons as well as your regular spellcasting will be somewhat more important than your physical armor.)
- The character system has been significantly extended. You can now play the game as a man or woman, and as a warrior, wizard, craftsman, rogue. The game allows different courses of action, e.g., you can spend all your time fighting, or avoid violence almost completely; or become a powerful wizard, or play the game without ever casting a spell. Your character's development is solely determined by your actions, and you're free to do whatever you want (including unethical behaviour), and become whatever you want (e.g. you might start as a warrior but end up as a wizard after regularily practicing magic and neglecting combat). People will react differently towards you depending on your sex, biography, skills, and reputation, so re-playing the game with a different starting character results in a very different gaming experience.
- Production: Depending on your skills and available materials, you can create almost every existing object by yourself, such as weapons, armor, clothing, even furniture. You could e.g. cut down a tree, cut the wood into boards, manufacture leather out of an animal skin, hammer an iron bar into an iron plate and create shield buckle from this, and finally assemble boards, leather, and shield buckle into a shield (which you could use or sell).
- Modifying the game world: You can cut down trees (and even, with time and diligence, whole forests), and use the wood as building material. The game will probably allow you to build your own houses in the cleared spaces. (Depending on the amount of programming work necessary for this, this feature may be not be available at the first release.)
- Production: You will probably be able to hire people (or force demons by magic) to mine raw materials or produce goods for you. (Depending on the amount of programming work necessary for this, this feature may be not be available at the first release.)
- Trade: You can rent shops and hire sales clerks, who will sell your goods for you. You can hire mule drivers who will transport your goods. Via the trade screen you can conveniently set trade routes as well as order what kinds of goods to transport. Goods can be picked up or dropped or bought or sold to merchants at any stop of the route. Goods dropped in your shops will be sold to the city's population over time by your clerk.
- These features are intended to make sure that there will always remain enough interesting things to do to keep you enjoying playing this game indefinitively (even after you've already finished the game's plot several times).

*ARNE*

Educated
Hi Ludiwig von Eisenthal !

Thank you for your nice reply !
Glad you noticed my many in-game details.I would have done much more,
but we always had to take care for the main memory of the game (think back 20 years ago).
Also every extra animation is bound to the game environment.
Means: more programming, more problems, more work.

You are right, there are not a lot games in that graphic style (that gives you this cool retro feeling).
I believe we just have to face it: It´s 2015 now ;-)
I never played Ultima or other games like that (well, Teudogar 1000 times,thats for sure),
so i don´t know many RPG games, but i do remember BURNTIME, a strategy game by Max Design
with a nice end time atmosphere.
So, if your lifetime will be long enough (what i really hope ;-) and before (IF) Darghul comes out,
you could check it out.

Thanks again and have a looooong life !

Greetings
ARNE

Last edited:

*ARNE*

Educated
Hi azerty !

Thank you for your kind posting !

Seems you are really hungry for more now ...

but like i said before: I have no more influence on Darghul.
I have not worked on Darghul itself ! The Teudogar graphics are
converted to a higher resolution and Wolf put some new own graphics
in it, to make it fit to the fantasy style. The result hurts my eyes a bit,
but at least he is a very good programmer (that´s why we all have different jobs ;-) !

So i hope your prayers will be answered !
(If not, how about a new round TEUDOGAR? )
Just kidding...

Greetings
ARNE

Last edited:
@ Arne
I appreciate what high grade of details you managed to implement into Teudogar. :) You haven't played Ultima VII Black Gate? Because of the many little details in Teudogar, I was absolutely sure you were heavily inspired by that game. But, if you have a little time to spare, please let me recommend you Ultima VII, it's indeed one of the finest games of all times, with a lush, living, almost breathing gameworld full of details, life and stories. There is nothing like it. I've played it last year for the first time in my life (right after I've played Teudogar), and it was quite a revelation for me. Plus, it's dirt cheap on GOG, and with Exult it's perfectly playable today.
Cheers

*ARNE*

Educated
Hi Ludwig !
Thanks for your message !

Did I get that right ? Teudogar is a revelation for you !? ;-)

Well...like i wrote before: Never played one of the Ultima games.
These games just took to much time to play.
Also the fantasy background wasn't my taste at this time.
Wolf gave me screenshots to show me what he expected in Teudogar.
So we had to imply things like the leather bags or wooden boxes.
The birds eye view offers the player some advantages... and so on...
All these things makes it look like Ultima, but i really was far away
from "heavily inspired" by that game.

First thing i realized was the (in my eyes) terrible color palette.
I also don't liked the black bordered and outlined persons and objects.
Of course, this is a easy way to set any object on every ground...no matter what color it has.
Just don´t look naturally to me. Don't get me wrong ..I don't want the (your) game make bad.
Some things i just would have made different (..so i did).
I truly believe it's rightly one of the all time classics !
Maybe one day i will check it completely out...

Greetings
ARNE

azerty

Educated
Once again^^

Hello all the teudogar fan community :)
Just a small post to keep this forum alive :)
I hope you will give some public news one day dear Wolf :)

And thanks Arne for your news :)

Greatings

azerty

Educated
I am playing again Diablo II from Blizzard as we are speaking about old and cool games^^

Hey azerty (or should I call you Ekkill? ;) ),
I look into this thread every week, hoping for something new about Darghul. I wish the "2013" would change on Wolf's Darghul-page... :(
Oh, the old games are certainly the best! I'm playing Ultima 7 Serpent Isle, Myth, Return to Castle Wolfenstein and KKND at the moment. :)

getter77

Augur
Darghul will never stop being sought after, as the outline for it is simply too good to not hope that it shall eventually see the light of day.

azerty

Educated
Hi ! here is the every-two-month-message to say we are still hoping !
and we also hope you are fine Wolf !
Greatings

*ARNE*

Educated
Hi FOLKS !

My every-two-month-message to say:
HI FOLKS !

Whether patience is a virtue, depends on the object....

Greetings
ARNE

azerty

Educated
Night gathers, and now my watch begins. It shall not end until my death. I shall take no wife, hold no lands, father no children. I shall wear no crowns and win no glory. I shall live and die at my post. I am the sword in the darkness. I am the watcher on the walls. I am the shield that guards the realms of men. I pledge my life and honor to the Night's Watch, for this night and all the nights to come, I will hope that Darghul will come one day

azerty

Educated
You are talking about the five or more years old screamshot and description of the game, you don't have any news of a real beta?^^
Any news of Wolf Mittag anyone? I had some mabe one or two years ago. He was occupied but still with the will to finish the game one day. And Wolf, if you see this message, all my encouragement !
I hope everything is going well for you :)

Agesilaus

Antiquity Studio
Patron
Developer
Grab the Codex by the pussy Codex USB, 2014 Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
He sent me the release candidate last month. It was good, but ultimately I told him to start the whole project over. The sound effects weren't good enough.

Don't worry, it'll only be another decade.

azerty

Educated
2016 will be the year !
No jocking... But could be, everything is possible^^ I don't know if some of you are still hopping :p

I discovered Gurk III a rpg on android. Was fun, a few hours of gameplay.

Any game you advice me? RPG, olkd-school or not? I don't like very much the graphics of Ultima even everyone is saying it is the same kind of game than Teudogar. But yea any game in mind where you travel, discover, fight, trade, craft...?

See you guys :)

Any game you advice me? RPG, olkd-school or not? I don't like very much the graphics of Ultima even everyone is saying it is the same kind of game than Teudogar. But yea any game in mind where you travel, discover, fight, trade, craft...?

See you guys :)

You don't like the graphics of Ultima 7? Shame on you! :P To be honest, I don't see many similarities between Ultima 7 and Teudogar (except for the graphic style) - in U7 you have a party and everything is more about ethics, stories and characters. As much as I like Teudogar, it's not comparable in terms of narration and world complexity.

Ok, let's see. I love Gothic 2 - one of the best RPG-experiences for me with many things to explore, a highly interactive, open gameworld and extremely well fleshed out schedules for every single NPC. The Risen-games are similar in these aspects but feature more crafting.
If you like to fight, trade and discover a large medieval realm pirates!-style, I absolutely recommend Mount&Blade: Here you can decide absolutely free what to become: A merchant, slave trader, bandit leader, mercenary for one of the kingdoms or even a knight in service of royalty. It's a fantastic game full of possibilities and a very dynamic one too. You'll fight large battles with sometimes hundreds of enemies and command your men and ride aside of your knights into glorious battles.
More oldschool is Darklands - don't let the simple graphics fool you: Here you can roam medieval Europe with your party, fight against all kinds of enemies, mix potions with your alchemist and make money by doing quests.
Another game I can highly recommend is NEOScavenger. That's an indiegame where you try to survive in a hostile apocalyptic world by scavenge everything usable, crafting items, traveling around and fight or negotiate with the other inhabitants.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom