Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Fallout Fallout 4 Thread

I'm still baffled that the masses don't like this when Fallout 3 was so well received.

I mean this is quite a bit worse than Fallout 3, but the writing, quests and characters were equally shit.

Why do people feel so strongly about it now? Maybe they just all went back and played the originals, but I strongly doubt that.

7 years is a very long time in gaming: The time frame between Morrowind and Fallout 3 was only 6 years. The time frame between Deus Ex and Fallout 3 was 8 years. People expect significant improvements with that time frame.

Gord

Arcane
Fallout 3 had decent albeit uninspired dungeons, which are the main bulk of any post-Morrowind Bethesda game. There's no reason at all to explore dungeons in Fo4 and they're all badly designed and boring to go through, so the main part of the game is crippled.

I don't remember much of FO3's dungeons, with the exception of one or two vaults maybe, which were ok-ish. But since they have improved their dungeon crafting for Skyrim (maybe not in terms of complexity, there are only so many ways to build a loop, but in terms of exploration and offering a small backstory), I would have expected them to keep that level or even improve it. Maybe FO4's team is different from Skyrims, though.

Sykar

Arcane
Any sane community 200 years after the war would have torn down most of the old shit which is unusable after being exposed to the blast from an atomic bomb and decades of weather without maintenance and just build something new with new materials. Something new that actually looks like it.

I get it, it's post apoc and shit, but still, it requires a lot of suspension of disbelief to accept that even after 200+ years all the people still live in shoddy sheds made from old junk or pre-war buildings that still contain the old wallpapers and furniture without any attempt at renovating at least some of it.
It would work 20 years after the war, maybe 50. But 200? After that time I would expect that from the outcasts and poor of the post-apoc society, not frigging everyone.
The devs in FO2 at least attempted to make it somewhat plausible - Vault City proper and Arroyo looked reasonably clean and new, as I would expect from their relatively organized societies.
But sadly even Obsidian forgot about that when they made New Vegas. FFS, even in New Vegas the NCR is obviously incapable of bringing along some fresh paint.

Mh you are probably right.

Nyast

Cipher
I love how the lone survivor goes from living a normal suburban life in 2077 to gunning down a deathclaw with a minigun in a span of about 2 hours, from their perspective. It's just so rushed. It's a shame, some talented writers could have done a lot with a Fallout story about someone from before the war being frozen and waking up after the apocalypse.

It doesn't help that a lot of the scripts seem bugged.

So my very first mission in that game is to investigate the neighboorhood with the little flying robot. He's waiting for me in a small house. When I get there and try to talk with him, he keeps repeating some stupid 1 liner. So I walk the entire neighboorhood, in every single carbon-copied house filled of trash items, and I don't discover anything that progresses the "mission". I go back to the robot, still the same 1-liner. I don't get it. I'm confused. Even as an RPG fan, I feel like I'm missing something. This is the VERY FIRST MISSION in the game and I'm already stuck. I can't help but wonder how newcomers would progress when I, who's been playing RPGs for the last 30 years, can't get past that first mission. I must be dumb. So I keep turning around, revisiting every single house. For one hour.

And then, the robot script magically seems to unblock itself and starts an actual conversation. And I haven't done anything.

The very first mission, guys.

Lemming42

Arcane
It happens frequently. There's a ridiculous amount of following in this game, usually following someone who runs about 20x slower than you, and they almost invariably get stuck on scenery, go on a weird path, freeze up completely etc.

Zeriel

Arcane
It happens frequently. There's a ridiculous amount of following in this game, usually following someone who runs about 20x slower than you, and they almost invariably get stuck on scenery, go on a weird path, freeze up completely etc.

But it's a completely new engine.

:^)

Self-Ejected

Ulminati

Kamelåså!
Patron
I heard one of the first things you find in the game is the power armor. Is this true?

First quest out of the vault gives you power armor, minigun and tells you to kill a deathclaw.

Is there level scaling? Does the game allow you to actually die to enemies more powerful than you? Because apparently that power armor that you can nearly immediately find is meant for you to kill a deathclaw. The more I hear, the worse it gets. I genuinely didn't think it was possible.

Don't worry. Power armor runs on a battery that lasts for about 10 minutes.

Scroo

Female Quota Staff
Patron
Staff Member
Codex 2014 Codex Year of the Donut Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2
YwQvKEp.jpg

Irenaeus II

The fuck are you doing in FO4?

Jezal_k23

Perk requirements tho. You need 3 to get access to the Gun mods perk, 4 if you care about hacking, 6 for Energy mods, 9 if you want to boost radiation weapons.

Fair enough.

Zeriel

Arcane
I wonder, now that most of the interfaces are displayed through the pipboy itself, if it's going to be difficult now to develop UI mods. I'm worried about that, and also about how mods are even going to be handled by Beth with bethesda.net.

Also yeah, intelligence seems to be a dump stat now, since it apparently only affects XP gain.

The what? "Only"? That's the best stat in the game. XP is the only thing standing between you and every perk and 10 in every SPECIAL. You should start with either 9 or 10 int depending on whether you want to wait for the bobblehead.

Leitz

Learned
7 years is a very long time in gaming: The time frame between Morrowind and Fallout 3 was only 6 years. The time frame between Deus Ex and Fallout 3 was 8 years. People expect significant improvements with that time frame.
5 years between Doom and Half Life lol

TheHeroOfTime

Arcane
Seriously? There's no any character teaching or instructing your character about weapons and how to shoot or something like that before throwing you against a deathclaw?

The soldier husband... I bought that, OK. But the wife? a fucking lawyer shooting a deathclaw in terminator mode? is the devil lawyer or what?

Jozoz

Prophet
The "Wouldn't it be cool if..." design philosophy strikes again.

set

Cipher
I played this for 3 hours then gave up. Here was my experience:

I have a decent rig, though the video card I have is listed in their "minimum" list for PC (however, this video card is miles ahead of the PS4's). I was able to play the game entirely lag free on medium settings...until I left the starting cul de sac like area. This is really fucking deceptive, lots of people might think their machine can run this game and not refund the game when they realize they just aren't up to par. Upon entering concord, I got constant game breaking stutterring every few minutes (that is, I'd get smooth 20-30 fps or more for long stretches, then like 1-3 minutes of random 1-2 fps wherein the game is not responsive at all). This was extremely frustrating and a let down. I couldn't figure out what exactly was causing it, but even turning off god rays, setting my game to borderless windowed mode and setting everything I could to low...still random bursts of unplayable stutter (sustained for at least a minute before clearing up). I don't know if this is because of my video card's VRAM (the game wants a fucking metric ton of VRAM for some retarded reason; the areas are as small as FO3) or because of some weird CPU bottleneck. Either way, I would have given up on the game no matter how good it was, with this kind of performance.

But the game isn't good. It just isn't. First of all, the entire tutorial area is again - a waste of your fucking time. If I want to make a new character I have to sit through this stupid shit again and again. Why Bethesda? Why do you do this? It's never made any fucking sense.

Second of all, you removed skills. So, I'm a master novice level hacker with 1 INT and I craft the basic shit with 1 INT and I can apparently use all sorts of weapons and... Like, it's dumb? Do I even need to articulate this point? I shouldn't have to. This isn't even an RPG at this point.

Third of all, INT is apparently worthless...Except for the fact it gives more experiences? Isn't there enough experience, like in any FO game, to get to max level without any bonuses? Oh, but a majority of your character's power is tied up in stupid perks, I see. So instead of attributes meaning anything at all...they're just gates to prevent you from getting perks. This system sucks. There's no difference between a brainy player and a retarded one; you get the same dialogue options, you use the same weapons...and the high INT perks are all fucking stupid and worthless, or just affect crafting which I don't give two shits about.

Luck is also worthless, but luck hasn't been good since FO2 so I wasn't really disappointed there. No random critical hits is entirely...stupid? Critical hits are a fun mechanic in RPGs because well, you get bursts of sudden and surprising damage; plus you can build around them. Relegating them to VATS is... Well, who even likes VATS at this point?

"Build your own settlement" sounds interesting, but it's introduced just...arbitrarily. "Oh yes, you can build this radio tower here ma'am. Please do." But why? She's looking for her kidnapped son, why would she even do this? Not only does it make no sense in terms of narrative, but it's just kind of ridiculous; what is the player supposed to get out of doing this? Apparently it's the only way to buy or sell things outside of the main hub city, as in my three hours I was not able to find a single vendor to trade with using all the bottlecaps and junk I'd collected. I'm supposed to build a store and expect to attract a store owner? What does this even have to do with Fallout...? It'd be okay as a late-game time waste feature, but as something you can do right out at the start of the game...it makes no narrative or gameplay sense (I want to explore, not fuck around putting buildings somewhere).

What made me give up entirely on the game was Concord. Like, I made the mitake of following the big green arrow in a Bethesda game, but I saw Concord as the first town and I wanted to see what it'd look like. I was profoundly disappointed when I was forced into combat against stupid fucking raiders (giving a measly 7 xp a pop but also pathetically easy even while I was on the hardest difficulty with maxed out INT giving me limited combat stats). When I got power armor I...I just stopped. What? Power armor, on my first major mission? Why? Why Bethesda, why? You've completely fucked with the pacing; completely fucked with it. You kill a mother fucking deathclaw in the first main mission you can stumble into. This is fucking ridiculous. Like, first of all, what makes deathclaws cool is all the previous Fallout games built up to them. "Oh goodness, watch out for those deathclaws, they're in that horrible valley over there! If you see one, just run away!" And in this game? One just shows up without announcement.

On the hardest difficulty, you don't have enough minigun ammo to kill him and the raiders you're arbitrarily forced to kill to spawn him. I think you're supposed to abuse the cars and lure him into explosive damage there, but after a while I just got onto one of the roofs he coudln't path to and just used up all my miscellaneous gun ammo sniping his stupid ass. I got 42 xp for that. Yeah, that's when I quit. 42 xp for a deathclaw; raiders and radroaches are 7 xp and the entire quest was like 230 xp.

When my co-workers ask me tomorrow, "So hey, how was Fallout 4?" I'll just say, "Huh? What? I was playing the latest call of duty yesterday." Because that's what this game is. Not even any fucking dialogue options.

Fuck you Bethesda. You make so much fucking money. You have the influence of the industry at your back; your design decisions influence other games because of your success. And you take the medium and further shove it down the tubes. Not even an RPG at this point.

I hope this thing flops. Glad I didn't end up paying a cent for it.

Oh yeah, I forgot to mention I killed a deathclaw in power armor at level 3 with 2 strength. Go figure. Deathclaws are the new Skyrim Dragons.

Quatlo

Arcane
I was keeping all my stuff in an ammo case.
Then the BOS remodelled the place, ammo case is gone.
All my spare shit is gone.
10/10 game.

Killzig

Cipher
Patron
Seriously? There's no any character teaching or instructing your character about weapons and how to shoot or something like that before throwing you against a deathclaw?

The soldier husband... I bought that, OK. But the wife? a fucking lawyer shooting a deathclaw in terminator mode? is the devil lawyer or what?

Recall that the earliest leaks said the game was conceived as male character only.

Nyast

Cipher
They Far-Cry-ed that game. It totally plays like Far Cry now.

TheHeroOfTime

Arcane
Recall that the earliest leaks said the game was conceived as male character only.

Unfortunately I never trusted on those leaks. This looks more like rushed and mediocre pacing all over the place to me.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom