Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Vapourware Daggerfall Unity isnt Vaporware

Miles Davis or John Coltrane?

• Miles Davis

Votes: 48 29.3%
  • John Coltrane

Votes: 48 29.3%
  • Kenny G (kc response)

Votes: 68 41.5%

• Total voters

LJ40

Cipher
j3uJvFv.png

Ain't no edge like that newfag edge.

Luzur

Good Sir
DaggerfallUnityTest3Splash.jpg

Download

Download Daggerfall Unity 0.0.6 (Windows)Download Daggerfall Unity 0.0.6 (Linux)
Please also download the ReadMe!

Patch Notes
  • Changed how genders are imported from classic saves based on new idea that gender byte is actually a bitfield and only first bit controls gender (0 for male, 1 for female). This should allow more classic saves to open. Requires more testing, please report any further issues with gender-swapped characters. Vampire/werewolf characters are still not considering working.
  • Fixed issue where player would appear in wrong exterior cell after loading game to an interior cell.
  • Fixed issue where saved player position would be incorrect after changing terrain sampler (e.g. enabling/disabling Nystul’s improved terrain then loading a saved game). When a change to terrain sampler is detected, player will be relocated to outside current location, or to origin of map cell if no location present. This logic may trigger when loading a quick-save created prior to 0.0.6.
  • Fixed another casing issue when lazy-loading saves in Linux for save importer.
  • Some buildings do not have an interior. These will now display the old chestnut “This house has nothing of value.” rather than throw an exception.
  • Class-based enemies (e.g. Spellsword, Thief) now have a health pool and can hurt you. Look out!

Controls
General

• Mouse to look.
  • W, S, A, D to move.
  • SHIFT (hold) to run.
  • SPACE to jump.
  • LEFT-CLICK mouse to open doors, enter dungeons, operate switches, etc.
  • ESC to pause game or go back to previous window.
  • F5 to open Character Sheet.
Weapons

• Z to toggle weapon.
  • RIGHT-CLICK and drag mouse to swing weapon.
Save/Load

• F9 to quick-save.
  • F12 to quick-load.

Feedback
Preferred method of feedback is the following thread on the forums.

http://forums.dfworkshop.net/viewtopic.php?f=18&t=161

When reporting bugs, please include the following in your report.

• A clear description of what went wrong and process to reproduce problem (if possible).
  • Main system specs (OS, CPU, RAM, GPU).
  • Any output logs or save files as requested. See ReadMe for more information.

Thankyou!
And once again, a big thankyou to all contributors, testers, and supporters of this project. You are each helping to create something wonderful.

The man children over ad DF Workshop seems to be making progress.

Unlike Lucius, which is still missing even after a promised "Update" around late September.

Luzur

Good Sir
I used to (try) and follow this all, but when it became apparent it is nothing but feverish dreams of a couple of manchildren playing devs from their mommy's house, i gave up :)

While it is obvious the degree of imbecility immaturity is still almost as prevalent as before (cannot conceive of one adult being content with having another adult making excuses for him over the internet over a 'gaem'), have i understood correctly in that there is now a different Daggerfall project in the works? As in, in typical fashion, it was not enough we already had one never to be complete, but we now have yet another in "development"? Except this one's in Unity now? Please tell me i am missing something here ^^

Though, even so, my last comment here pretty much stands; Minus serious:

- pathfinding improvements
- GUI improvements (being alerted to contracting a disease when you do, not right before it kills you to give an example)
- combat improvements (hitboxes most especially, casters can't even aim at short creatures when right before them, although striking through walls does come to mind in addition)
- bugfixing and polishing of all the issues still present in original DF

What the fuck is it you people find of interest? The graphics ..?..

If you dont get it, you dont.

we cant help you.

index.php

Arcane
2944926-3970425300-Young.jpg

http://xlengine.com/xl-engine-state-of-the-project/

I have not updated this site and blog in quite some time. However, despite appearances, the project is not dead. For a variety of reasons the project had to be put on hold until the beginning of next year. Despite this, there has been some progress made – which I will discuss in detail in the next few months.

Next I would like to clarify some things. Interkarma has made large strides in his own Daggerfall work (see http://www.dfworkshop.net/) which begs the question – what about DaggerXL? Is there any point? And what about Dark Forces or Blood – have they been forgotten?

I will start by being as clear as possible:

*The XL Engine is not dead and will resume with regular work, updates and builds within the next few months – by the start of the new year.

*DaggerXL will continue, in no way reduced or affected negatively by Interkarma’s excellent work. There are still several reasons for DaggerXL to exist – improved Modding support, including support for existing mods; source-port accurate to the original game, with optional extended features while properly supporting modern systems – including support for software rendering; custom engine designed for high performance even on low-end systems; enhanced features such as extreme view distances (hundreds of km), enhanced texture filtering, enhanced lighting and shadows, etc.

*I have been building tools and other work that will allow me to release source-port accurate support for Dark Forces and Blood at the same time as Daggerfall early in the new year. They too will support software rendering as well as enhanced features. Outlaws has not been forgotten but has been put on hold until a later time. The XL Engine will even allow you to play with your existing save games.

*The XL Engine will be easier to use and setup, automatically setting up the supported games that you have on your system in most cases – easily supporting Steam and GoG versions of the games. It will feature a streamlined interface for adjusting features that the original games did not support (such as adjusting resolution, rendering quality, etc.), rather then implementing game specific interfaces as seen in previous releases of DarkXL or DaggerXL.

*There will be a single entry point – xlengine.exe – with the supported games being implemented as dynamic libraries, allowing for easy addition of new projects in the future. Of course you will be able to make shortcuts to specific games if you want. No launcher, no separate executables.

*Linux and OS X support is still planned but will not be available for the first Beta release.

The first Beta build, coming early in the new year, will feature support for Daggerfall, Dark Forces and Blood. However the initial release will be limited to the software renderer with only limited enhanced features (although basic stuff like higher resolutions will be supported). The XL Engine will still require a GPU with at least OpenGL 1.5 support for compositing and UI (any cards released within the last decade should work, assuming it supports any other games). GPU rendering support will follow shortly, with all the basic features you would expect. However the hardware renderer will require a GPU that supports at least OpenGL 2.0 , though higher end GPUs will be required for some extended features such as extreme view distance support (which will not be available in the initial releases). If you do not have a good enough GPU, you will always be able to fallback to the software renderer – assuming you have the aforementioned OpenGL 1.5 or better GPU.

What about source code access? I plan on releasing a few builds before I release the source code – unfortunately I’m too picky about the code for my own good – but I do plan on opening up read-only access to the repository (with the option to submit patches of course, if you are so inclined) within the first quarter of the year.

:bounce::bounce::bounce::bounce::bounce::bounce:

Eyeball

Arcane
I really wish Lucius would forget all this shit about making it an entire engine conversion and simply work on modernising Daggerfall. I don't give a damn about any of the other games his XL engine runs.

ortucis

Prophet
So is Daggerfall such a good game that people are trying to port it?

Damn, I guess I need to play it too.

EDIT: Forgot that I was in Bethesda sub-forum.

EDIT 2: Are this game's models available for download or are people trying to recreate them? Can't tell. Since I like modding random stuff, I would like to mess around with them for lulz.

Lyric Suite

Converting to Islam
Positives:

1) Large, sprawling dungeons.
2) Great atmosphere
3) Awesome character creation

Bad:

1) Dungeons are randomly generated. Sometimes they are awesome. Sometimes they are broken as shit.
2) Character creation allows you to completely brake the game (or make it better, the choice is yours).
3) No open world.

Luzur

Good Sir
Daggerfall Unity 0.1 Release
Posted on November 14, 2015 by Interkarma

DaggerfallUnity0.1Release-1024x576.jpg

After several test iterations, Daggerfall Unity is feeling reasonably solid across the two main platforms Windows and Linux. A huge thanks to all testers who helped discover early bugs and quirks. There’s obviously still more to fix, and a lot of game features to implement, but we have a pretty good starting point with this build. At some point, I need to push a stick into the ground and say “it starts here.”

It Starts Here
Daggerfall Unity 0.1 is now available for general download. Key features of this build are:

• Create a new character or load an existing character from a classic Daggerfall save.
  • The entire world of the Illiac Bay is ready to explore at 1:1 scale to Daggerfall itself. Go anywhere, enter any dungeon, and explore any town.
  • Quick-save and quick-load your progress.
  • Dungeons are populated with fixed and random enemies just like in Daggerfall.
  • Basic combat mechanics with the ebony dagger.
  • Game console for enabling god mode, setting run speed, teleporting around world, etc.
  • Lypyl’s enhanced sky mod with dynamic skybox, procedural clouds, and even phases of the moon!
  • Nystul’s beautiful far terrain mod and improved terrain generation.

Manual
A PDF manual is included with the download, but you can also download a standalone copy.

Feedback
If you would like to offer feedback and bug reports, please use this thread on the forums or contact me directly.

What’s Next
I will be a little quiet the next few weeks due to current work commitments, but rest assured the next release is already being worked on. I will soon repeat the process of dropping test builds leading up to the next release milestone. Here’s a list of features scheduled for the next release.

• Early item support! Inventory will be imported from classic saves.
  • Ability to open inventory window and equip items.
  • Loot enemy corpses and treasure piles.
  • Full save/load UI allowing for multiple saves.
  • In-game options UI for changing game settings.
  • The ability to rest to recover health.
  • More contributor mods.
  • More bug fixes.
There’s a lot of open source activity happening at the moment from contributors, so it’s possible we might end up with more features in the second release than listed above. I will reveal these on Twitter as they become ready to show off.

http://www.dfworkshop.net/

Luzur

Good Sir
Also, Lucius:

Progress

This post will discuss some of the recent progress made towards the Beta. For now I will focus on the UI and Engine and talk about the games themselves in a future post.

I have been using one of the games to ensure that the engine provides all of the necessary services and to implement the core features of the engine. When you start the application, by default, a UI comes up where you can select the game to play, change video settings, setup controls and so forth. While most of the UI is only semi-functioning and placeholder – the settings are stored in text based ini files which can also be edited outside of the application. Of course everything will be editable by the UI for the release.

It is possible to launch a game directly and exit immediately but even when this is the case it is always possible to bring up the UI, change settings and switch games. This is useful if you wish to play a single game or to create shortcuts and bypass the UI.

Each supported game is implemented as a dynamic library (DLL on Windows) which can be loaded and unloaded dynamically. You can even pause the game at any time to bring back the UI and change settings as desired or switch games. The game is rendered into a virtual screen which can run at a different resolution then the window – right now a multiple of 320×200 (16:10 in 4:3) but normal 4:3 and widescreen modes will be supported. Proper aspect ratio is automatically maintained with letter/pillar boxing, though stretch to fit will be an option.

I am currently re-working the sound support in order to provide all the necessary features for the variety of games but otherwise all of the engine services needed to support the games is complete – input, graphics, file manipulation, etc.. The UI still needs work but is functional enough for testing.

First Look at the UI

Below is a first look at the UI, as you can see you can click on a game to start playing or click on various icons to bring up settings menus (video, controls, engine settings, game settings and so forth). The aforementioned menus are incomplete, placeholder and not shown but the main view works as intended. When pausing a game a thumbnail view of the game is shown in the UI.

Even the versioning has been retrofitted – it is now structured as MajorVersion.MinorVersion.Build and given a name though only major changes will warrant new names. The initial releases will simply be “Beta.” The build version is now incremented automatically, so even if there are two releases made in quick succession, the version order is always clear. Obviously I started the automatic build number very recently (and even now its out of date, the current version is 0.2.161).

Final Words

I still have a lot of work to do before the release but I now have a strong foundation to build on with a fully featured engine and a solid build process – no more copying around files and manually updating build numbers, etc.. So now I can focus on finishing the game support for the Beta.
icon_e_smile.gif

Luzur

Good Sir
Ideas for World overhauls are already trickling in to Interkarma's Daggrfall project.

These are just some thoughts I've had playing around with both the DOS and Unity versions, all while pondering the question "What could be done with 60k square miles of empty real estate?"

Realistic fast travel: (Would likely require roads and docks, also mostly a pipe dream)
-Remove old system
-when fast traveling you auto-move at high speed so you coast across the scenery with game time advancing proportionally, like playing back a movie in fast forward instead of being instantaneous. Would make long trips feel long since you have to wait vs small trips. Got this idea after bumping the run speed up to 10k to get a feel for the landscape, and also the SETA option in X3: Reunion. Probably would need to be slower than 10k so it doesn't crash and it feels like travel. (BTW, I went across the whole map at that speed in unity without any problem)
Edit:Going back and playing with runspeed I think I was using 1k not 10k, in both 0.0.6 and 0.1.1 10k made me fall through the ground, but in 0.0.6 1k was fine. In 0.1.1 1k still made me fall through. A runspeed of 250 might be more reasonable for fast travel.
-no hybrid traveling; start to coast, coast to coast, coast to finish; 3 separate fast travels to go from one inland city across the bay to another inland city
-land based fast travel costs fatigue so you need to stop and rest to continue on, would need to plan your trip around taverns or else be forced to stop and camp when fatigue runs out risking encounters, rain and snow increase fatigue costs, able to stop fast travel if you notice your fatigue is getting low, rain and snow could reduce recovery rates when resting outside
-courier system to coordinate with your ship, send messenger out to ship to move to where you need it, both take time to happen and there is a small chance that the messenger will die en route. Couriers could be a hire-able npc at taverns and serve other purposes
-outside only fly spell that also increases movement speed for fast traversing of the landscape, maybe an item like boots, a broom, or a cloak that looks like wings

Static overworld considerations:
-Landmarks; rivers and roads alone would do miracles, also maybe generic reusable things like bridges, rock formations or giant trees that stick out above the other trees
-High spots(Lone hills, watch towers, ranger stations) because the scenery looks awesome from up high. If placed they shouldn't be on the map so there are things to find exploring the world, also they would be easy to find since they would stick up.
-Road signs
-lighthouses for coastal cities, make cities more noticeable and could also be lumped with the addition of docks
-unique wilderness content should probably be avoided since there is no guarantee that anyone would ever find it in such a huge world

Most of the landscape should stay as is so the things you find are that much more special. One of the things that bother me most about the last 3 TES games is the fact that they cram so much content into the maps you're basically tripping over dungeons. Daggerfall is the complete opposite with nearly no content, even lacking any kind of landmarks short of towns and dungeon entrances. Granted the DOS version has no map depth or view distance so it's understandable that the overworld went mostly unused, but with the unity version remedying those obstacles there is no reason not to add life to it.

Random overworld spawns:
-wandering npcs, some may spawn random events, "Help! The Dark Brotherhood is after me!" Could get a list of choices(A. Sure, I'll help you, B. Not getting involved, C. Sorry about your luck, I work for the DB! DIE!), all with appropriate reputation changes, also neg DB rep for impersonating a DB member
-more monster spawns, including bandit camps, harpy or rat nests, etc. Camps and nests could be destructible and give treasure after monsters are dead
-patches of alchemy ingredients, plants to harvest, ore seams for mining, trees to chop (special consideration should be made to be Lore friendly)
-herbalist, miner, logger, and hunter npcs that will sell ingredients in the wilderness, maybe tricky considering how merchants work
-treasure in the middle of the forest, a tree could have a glimmer animation showing that it can be opened
-when it stops raining a rainbow could spawn with treasure at each end, treasure would disappear with the rainbow. Make it nearly impossible to make it in time so no one believes that it really happens.
-though you could find stuff wandering through the wilderness, chances are that you'll find nothing

Other stupid stuff:
-Visual Reputation for various factions in character screen
-more detailed province maps that show any major landmarks added into the game, mostly the roads and rivers, also not too detailed, should still be an approximation of where on the map you are
-A warning that the original had nudity and an option to turn the nudity off, I'm not personally offended by it, but others might be. Mostly just a suggestion that we cover our own asses.
-add flying and no clipping to the console
-A magic system overhaul, overworld detect spells would be amazing(Find Town, Find Dungeon, Find Plants)

Along with music remastering, new textures for NPCS and whatnot, 3D models for monsters and NPC's, the usual idea's that collects around such projects, so atleast if Interkarma makes this game more moddable then usual, we will prob get some mods out.

eric__s

ass hater
Developer
An idea I had a while ago back on Lucius' site was intradungeon quests. You'll meet an orc or something in a dungeon who will ask you to kill another monster or do some minor task in return for assistance in finding your quest objective. "Help me kill this harpy and I'll tell you where to find the mummy wrappings blah blah blah." I think something like that would be a huge improvement for people who don't like digging through massive dungeons for weeks at a time.

baturinsky

Arcane
An idea I had a while ago back on Lucius' site was intradungeon quests. You'll meet an orc or something in a dungeon who will ask you to kill another monster or do some minor task in return for assistance in finding your quest objective. "Help me kill this harpy and I'll tell you where to find the mummy wrappings blah blah blah." I think something like that would be a huge improvement for people who don't like digging through massive dungeons for weeks at a time.

Quests like this were in vanilla - inter-dungeon, inter-city, some even have branching.

http://www.uesp.net/wiki/Daggerfall:The_Obsessed_Child
  1. Talk to a questgiver of your Temple.
  2. Meet the child's guardian and talk to him/her.
  3. Visit the child and talk to him/her.
  4. Head to the town mentioned by the child's guardian.
  5. Find the priest(ess) in town and get the holy item.
  6. Head back to the child and give him/her the holy item.
  7. If a Daedroth shows up, dispose of it.
  8. If no Daedroth appears, confront the guardian and get the holy item back.
  9. Deliver the holy item either to the questgiver or to the priest(ess) you got it from.
  10. Keep the holy item as reward.
  11. Be sure to follow the time limit.
http://www.uesp.net/wiki/Daggerfall:The_Artifact
  1. Talk to a questgiver of your Knight Order.
  2. Head to the dungeon named by the questgiver.
  3. Find and talk to the witch.
  4. Head to the town named by the witch.
  5. Kidnap her great granddaughter from the palace there.
  6. Bring her back to the witch.
  7. Head to the new dungeon named by the witch.
  8. Find and retrieve the artifact you came for.

octavius

Arcane
Patron
Why is this thread in the Beturdsta forum anyway?
I want Daggerfall XL to be finished so I can play Star Wars: Dark Forces in high res and with proper FPS controls. The Dark Forces part of XL is 99% finished (just about the only thing missing is alternate fire for weapons), which is so frustrating.

Luzur

Good Sir
Well, Interkarma is back on the job after the holidays:

Back On Deck For 2016
Posted on January 13, 2016 by Interkarma

Happy New Year everyone! I’m back from holidays and almost on top of my RL workload again. That means a whole new round of updates to Daggerfall Unity and DFTFU are about to begin. I’ve picked up where I left off last year with the item and inventory system, and will be posting more on this shortly.

Sometime in the next few weeks, I’ll start adding new test builds leading up to the 0.2 release. Key features of 0.2 will be:

• Basic inventory system and loot tables. Import items from classic saves.
  • Travel map interface (by LypyL).
  • Dungeon and interior automap interface (by Nystul).
  • More bug fixes and incremental updates.
  • Some more community resources for contributors.
I’ve also made a small new year’s resolution to post more technically-minded articles in 2016, as I let this slip with all the rapid-fire updates leading to 0.1. It was quite a shift for me going from pure tool development to building a game, and I rather miss just talking about what I’m working on.

Thanks for all your patience during the holiday season. I look forward to reading your feedback with the next round of updates.

While Lucius havent posted anything new since his "Short-term Road Map" post on Dec 13th (or if he did i must have missed it on the DaggerXL forums.

Sceptic

Arcane
Patron
Divinity: Original Sin
Bad news for Jaesun and I.

XL Engine Midi Playback

After some deliberation and suggestions, I am tackling midi playback a little differently this time around. The system midi players (like the Windows midi player) have issues and seem to be harder to configure in recent versions of Windows. While there is software available to help, such as VirtualMidiSynth, I don’t want to rely on users installing this software on their computer.

Instead the XL Engine will use software midi synth and support Gravis Ultrasound patches and Sound Fonts. In order to accomplish this I have integrated Wild Midi and am in the process of integrating FluidSynth. The release will come with default patches and fonts so people can hear good quality midi from the get go. Of course you will be able to download and use your own patches and sound fonts.

Setup is easy – just pick the format you want to use and select either the config file (for patches) or sf2 file and you are done. The libraries are statically linked with the engine, so no extra DLLs, downloads or installs to use.

In order to limit the dependencies and code size, audio drivers are being excluded from my build of fluidsynth – it will write raw audio which will be processed by the engine’s sound system, just like Wild Midi. Midi playback is also properly threaded to limit the burden on the main CPU.

Finally I would like to thank Brother Brick (a member of the forums) for suggesting Wild Midi – it is a great library for software midi playback. Unfortunately it does not – yet – have all of the features I want but it does a great job at what it has implemented.
icon_biggrin.gif
Looks like he's removed the ability to simply play back MIDI using, you know, a MIDI device.

:mob:

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom