Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Places your bets: Fallout 4 Metascore

What will be the Fallout 4 Metascore range?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Sykar

Arcane

Minttunator

Arcane
Patron
Codex 2012 Codex 2013 Codex 2014 PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 RPG Wokedex Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Codex+ Now Streaming! Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Codex USB, 2014 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Pathfinder: Wrath
The 89 (as it currently stands) Metascore isn't that surprising - this is a Bethesda game, so it was always a going to get 9/10 scores from most major profeshunal journos. What is somewhat surprising, however, is the 5.7 user score (Skyrim's is 8.1, for example) - maybe the general game-buying audience isn't as hopeless as we thought?

msxyz

Augur
The 89 (as it currently stands) Metascore isn't that surprising - this is a Bethesda game, so it was always a going to get 9/10 scores from most major profeshunal journos. What is somewhat surprising, however, is the 5.7 user score (Skyrim's is 8.1, for example) - maybe the general game-buying audience isn't as hopeless as we thought?
From there the score can only go down. The professional whores journalists have their advertising pieces ready for the embargo lift because day zero sales are important to publishers. Minor media outlets, less likely to receive generous offers attention by the publishers still have to put their reviews out and they're less inclined to bootlicking as they don't earn shit from it.

Anyway, I'm also noticing a recent trend in the user scores being less and less forgiving. Unless you believe they are all 4chan party poopers, it's a small sign of incline as any.

CrawlingDead

Learned
The user score is a 6.4 right now on the PS4. Told ya betches the game would flop.

The negative consensus is bugs, bad storyline compared to FO3 and New Vegas, bad frame-rate, simplified. Even casualtards think this shit is too simple.

Doktor Best

Arcane
I see 2 reasons for this:

Bigger competition:

-Witcher 3. Its a mainstream rpg yes, but still a really fucking well done one. It showed a very large audience that a big open world can easily be tied to gameplay with decent questdesign, choice and consequence, well written story. Also it fucks Fallout 4 in the ass graphics wise
-Fallout New Vegas: Many Fallout3 fans bought it, many liked it. As most of them still think that New Vegas was also done by Bethesda they naturally see Fallout4 as a step down
-The first kickstarter wave brought along some incline crpgs, flawed ones but still incline. And they reached a substancial amount of customers due to the free PR kickstarter brings along with it. Especially Divinity had alot of attention also in the mainstream gaming journalism

Bethesda vastly profited from the lack of crpgs when they got their first major hits. They had all the attention because other crpg developers either went extinct or were lacking behind technically. This attention is now divided among several other, more competent developers. The market is more sated.

Dumbing down only works so far:

Even mainstream players grow fed up with reduced gameplay elements at some point. Bethesda has simply overdone it because they kept repeating their old formula of success (dumbing down) on and on, because they dont know what the fuck theyre doing.

CrawlingDead

Learned
Is this even possible? No, seriously.
Well, these people seem like casual fans who started with FO3, so they wouldn't know a good story anyway, but it's still pretty funny. The score might go up. I think on the PC, it's like a 5.9 user score.

If this game turns belly up, I wonder what that means for Bethesda. Maybe they'll realize the error of their ways, and start making decent RPGs again, probably not though.

Zeronet

Learned
Fallout 4 main quest is terrible, after the quality of New Vegas it was like having a turd dropped on my face. Bethesda can't string together interesting characters and plots. CD Projekt must be a little salty that Bethesda can put in so little effort and get as much praise. Witcher 3 has high meta and user scores as do a lot of the other top games. Fallout 4 userscore is tanking across the board.

CrawlingDead

Learned
Fallout 4 main quest is terrible, after the quality of New Vegas it was like having a turd dropped on my face. Bethesda can't string together interesting characters and plots. CD Projekt must be a little salty that Bethesda can put in so little effort and get as much praise. Witcher 3 has high meta and user scores as do a lot of the other top games. Fallout 4 userscore is tanking across the board.
Well, shit, it's almost unplayable at this point. I would rate it low too if I paid $60 for a game that didn't work. It's funny to see these guys calling it too simplified and too casual. I suppose FO3 was marketed to at least the casual gamers who have a liking toward light RPGs. It look likes this didn't even meet their expectations. People are calling this a bad shooter lol.

Reading the Metacritic reviews I realize that Bethesda is in deep shit because right now dissing Fallout 4 gives you hardcore RPG player cred.

Can't wait for the influx of newfags who consider Fallout 3 a classic.

2016 will be interesting times.

Nael

Arcane
Fucking DA2 all over again.

Gaming Journalism. Gaming Journalism never changes.

tormund

Arcane
So, has anyone with good handle of numbers ever tried to calculate exactly how much weight do reviews from various sites have in final score calculation on Metacritic?

rohand

Cipher
Is this even possible? No, seriously.

K634Yg0.gif

Deleted member 7219

This a hundred times. I hate Bethesda more for allowing Obsidian to do New Vegas. New Vegas was fucking brilliant, got raped in reviews, now game journos and people on the internet only ever talk about Fallout fucking 3 and Bethesda's Fallout 4 learned nothing from New Vegas, while declining on everything from Fallout 3.

They were determined to decline. Their goals when making Fallout 4 were to decline as much as they fucking could.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom