Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Fallout 4 Pre-Release Discussion [GAME RELEASED, GO TO NEW THREAD]

Lucky

Arcane
What about the remade version with more coherent story?

The remake is a separate version of the game that is still in production. The remaster is the original Pathologic with a more coherent story (new in-house English translation), better graphics and some extra content that was previously cut from the English release. They made it because they wanted to have the freedom to not have the remake be identical to the original, while still giving players the option of experiencing Pathologic the way it was originally meant to be played.

saltyshanty

Educated
Pfft, Blizzard still makes good games.

Are you fucking kidding me? To be generous, they make successful casual multiplayer games for people who don't want to get their feelings hurt, and they make Starcraft, which peaked in 1998. If you've ever tried to sit through one of their single-player campaigns, their writing is absolutely abysmal. Bethesda's ham-fisted, cliche-ridden plots look like works of mature, refined fiction by comparison.

Sykar

Arcane
Are you fucking kidding me? To be generous, they make successful casual multiplayer games for people who don't want to get their feelings hurt, and they make Starcraft, which peaked in 1998. If you've ever tried to sit through one of their single-player campaigns, their writing is absolutely abysmal. Bethesda's ham-fisted, cliche-ridden plots look like works of mature, refined fiction by comparison.

Well it peaked mostly in multiplayer. The single player campaign was not that great either in the original title and BW but heaps and bounds better than what they cooked up in SC 2...

28.8bps Modem

Prophet

That's why I'm looking forward to playing Starcraft 2 this evening. Mensk is going to turn out to be an ancient alien plotting the destruction of all life and I'm going to love it. Blizzard's soap opera level writing is deliciously cheesy.

Jozoz

Prophet
Blizzard just got bought by Activision.

Now they make well polished shallow games with low barriers of entry made to turn a profit.

Hearthstone and Overwatch are examples.

Lessee...how to sum up my problem with modern Blizzard in a few seconds? Oh! I know!

00:47 and onward.

Overwatch is cool though.

upwardlymobile

forum posting consultant
Patron
PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015
here are some screenshots from PC in "ultra" quality

8LK7q0D.jpg

Jthp8xi.jpg

can't stop loling, especially the last one

looks like something from 2004

heres the rest of the gallery https://imgur.com/a/imDLG

ArchAngel

Arcane
The i5 750 is still a decent CPU.

Here's a test video using the Witcher 3 and an old GTX 660;

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=maAucJgUFIc

It performs on par with a stock FX 6300, and only about five fps slower than the modern i3's.

In the video Digital Foundry put out they used an i3 4130 and a 750 ti to surpass both the Xbone and the PS4 in fps and had wiggle room to turn settings up a bit. While your processor is a tad slower (if you haven't overclocked it) than their barebones, your graphics card eats the 750 ti alive. You'll be fine. Turn settings down to high instead of Ultra.

Edit: For that matter 24 inches is about the sweet spot for 1080p. With a 22 inch monitor you could likely get away with 1680 x 1050 or 1680 x 1200 etc and turn the settings all the way up and look good while getting sweet fps. Try it out and see what sticks.
Tnx. 1080p is native resolution for my 22" so that is why I use it.
I hope it works, I am a poorfag. It took me 7 months of putting aside some money to get that 960, cannot afford a new MBO + CPU for 6 months now :D

taxalot

I'm a spicy fellow.
Patron
Codex 2013 PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015
Just had a conversation with my friend who's really excited for Fo4 and I think I came across as a weird bitter creature of pure vitriol for voicing some of the opinions seen in this thread.

All in this thread are doomed to stay here. Leaving it will result in severe culture shock.

It's okay. Most people have culture shock when coming to this place anyway. Hell, I still have it when I connect to the politics subforum (the rest of GD seem fairly normal compared to the shit you read there)

I've pretty much given up on the entire Internet at this point. Not sure if becoming a father has changed much of my outlook on life, but it's amazing the amount of bullshit I used to be able to cope with and can't stand. My Internet access is now mostly Codex for game news, an online newspaper for news stuff, and the commodities like eMail and Piratebay. That's about it. The rest is mostly shit.

One should appreciate the silver linings of a few things ; Fallout 3, 4 and their reviews are a confirmation that most people are useless tools who have no sense of analysis and whose opinion should be discarded. It is evidence that Democracy is inherently a wrong thing. It is a validation of all the things you thought secretly about yourself and didn't dare to put into words : you are superior. It's not arrogance, it's misanthrophy. You're not great, but everyone is shit.

There used to be a time when the Internet was an escape to the general mediocrity. But then they got Internet access. They were told they absolutely needed computers and shit. Because access to Science and culture and it's a great thing to put on your resume that you know how to use Microsoft Word. Then Eternal September happened.

They say no man is an island, but I sure as hell wish sometimes Codex was an island. Take Fallout 4 as a kind of map ; on the vast majority of it, there be dragons.

Raghar

Arcane
Vatnik
That's why I'm looking forward to playing Starcraft 2 this evening. Mensk is going to turn out to be an ancient alien plotting the destruction of all life and I'm going to love it. Blizzard's soap opera level writing is deliciously cheesy.
SC2 has release this day. I nearly forgot. Wow. Nice clear GFX, and mostly bug free. Too bad that crack typically takes ages.

Really, story is your gripe?

Hey, I liked old Starcraft. But now Zeratul is more or less Medivh running around ambushing people with prophecies and portents and shit and Samir Duran turned into a blunt, Saturday morning cartoon villain then went out like a punk. Somebody got Warcraft III fail in my Starcraft. The less said about Raynor not trying to drop planets on Kerrigan the better.

Tychus was cool, though. So of course he's dead.

Tnx. 1080p is native resolution for my 22" so that is why I use it.
I hope it works, I am a poorfag. It took me 7 months of putting aside some money to get that 960, cannot afford a new MBO + CPU for 6 months now :D

By all means report how it goes. I'd like to hear how it runs for various people.

Machocruz

Arcane
Fan backlash is fun, but meaningless. And hypocritical and all too late. Oblivion was the already the nadir of Bethestard tardness (and one of the worst WRPGs in history), and its glowing reviews were worthy of the same reaction seen in the Gamespot comments. I can't lie, I did enjoy some Skyrim, but the emperor has no clothes and I've been saying this since that fateful year 2006 when reviews were calling Oblivion "revolutionary" for doing less than Morrowind and bringing nothing new to the table. Then again when the paper thin Fallout 3 came out. These guys are making RPGs that would have been called simplistic and poorly scribed the day after Wizardry Ultima 5 came out.

Black

Arcane
Hey, I liked old Starcraft. But now Zeratul is more or less Medivh running around ambushing people with prophecies and portents and shit and Samir Duran turned into a blunt, Saturday morning cartoon villain then went out like a punk. Somebody got Warcraft III fail in my Starcraft. The less said about Raynor not trying to drop planets on Kerrigan the better.

Tychus was cool, though. So of course he's dead.
I'm not saying the story was good, I'm surprised there are storyfags in the rts genre.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom